BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Gary Bowyer Thread

Majiball

Farcical? A bit of an overreaction, Marshall and Lowe have both played well at full-back...full-back is not where we are most desperate. The player who cost us the most points last season was Hanley, and he was playing in his natural position. Henley will start at FB and if he gets injured a FB will be brought in on loan. Marshall and Lowe are cover, nothing more. Nyambe will also hopefully develop as the season progresses. Lots of teams have to play players out of position during the season, it isn't just at Rovers. Liverpool had Cam at FB last season, Jones has played FB for Utd, so has Young, Valencia was converted from a winger to a FB, etc etc etc and they have a lot more resources than we'll ever have. It happens. Olsson is a prime example. A figure of ridicule on here has just become our player of the season playing in a position that was alien to him before Bowyer moved him there.

The areas we really need to address are central midfield and up front (especially when either Rhodes or Rudy leave). A quick left-footed winger wouldn't go amiss either. The targeting of Austin suggests the midfield is already being looked at.

Anyway, who knows how pre-season will play out.

Out of interest how was the squad unbalanced last season?

Perhaps I am overreacting but I do believe a right back should still be on our list of priorities. I feel Lowe can cover but I would prefer to have a loan signing competing with Henley, perhaps even for left back as I don't rate Spurr at all. I do agree that a centre midfielder and a striker should be top of the list. Seems we have a lot of positions that need work.

I thought we were lacking in an attacking central midfielder last season - someone who can play in the hole. We were lacking anyone remotely dynamic in centre mid with only defensive midfielders available. No real cover for right back. Pulling people out of position to play there. As you say, a quick left-footed winger would be nice and we were lacking cover there last season with only right footers except Cairney - who was played out of position on the right hand side for a lot of the season, making us rather narrow. Left us terribly unbalanced IMO.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps I am overreacting but I do believe a right back should still be on our list of priorities. I feel Lowe can cover but I would prefer to have a loan signing competing with Henley, perhaps even for left back as I don't rate Spurr at all. I do agree that a centre midfielder and a striker should be top of the list. Seems we have a lot of positions that need work.

I thought we were lacking in an attacking central midfielder last season - someone who can play in the hole. We were lacking anyone remotely dynamic in centre mid with only defensive midfielders available. No real cover for right back. Pulling people out of position to play there. As you say, a quick left-footed winger would be nice and we were lacking cover there last season with only right footers except Cairney - who was played out of position on the right hand side for a lot of the season, making us rather narrow. Left us terribly unbalanced IMO.

Agree with you on the dynamic central midfielder, anyone who crosses the halfway line would be a start! Tunnicliffe showed signs he could do it, he even scored. Imagine that from our CM's!! I thought Evans would be that player but after a bright start at Ewood he's been pretty awful. Rudy Austin played a lot further forward for Leeds last season than he had previously and he has a bit of power about him so maybe he might be the answer.

Cairney could be our No.10 if he pulls his finger out, he has all the ability. If Rudy goes this summer we could end up going 4-2-3-1, especially away from home, with Rhodes on his own up front. With the right players in behind him playing to his strengths he would be lethal. Hopefully O'Sullivan develops and cements a place in the team.

Interesting that we currently only have 20 senior players under contract. So if no-one were to leave and Lenihan and C. Taylor resign we'd only have 2 places need filling and not much room for manoeuvre or change.

Conversely if those two leave plus Gestede and Rhodes say then we would be down to just 18 players and whilst maybe not quite down to Blackpool's situation last season, certainly left with an absolute mountain to climb, just to survive probably.

I think this shows that we need to do our utmost to hang on to Rhodes and Gestede. Also highlights the fact that we can ill afford any passengers in the squad either who don't know where the net is or can't be arsed and don't want to be here like Brown, Varney and Best respectively. We desperately need to offload at least one of those 3 and bring in a reasonable replacement imo.

If Lenihan and C. Taylor both resign then one area I would be tempted to do a bit of trading in to free up a squad space is to sell Marshall and give us a bit more room for manoeuvre.

The bit in bold I've been saying for a while. There is no point in getting rid of any first choice players if we cannot replace them.

I fear for us without Dunn, Baptiste, Rhodes and Gestede. Where is the quality? Especially if Marshall is tucked away at full back.

Has Chris Brown got a new club lined up yet.

The number of Rovers fans that fall about laughing when Brown is mentioned ain't a good sign.

The number of Rovers fans that fall about laughing when JAL posts ain't a good sign either!

Joking, joking, joking.......sorry JAL 😉

Ive just been reading about ryan tunnicliffes indiscretion that has got him banned for a few games next deason and caused his own club to investigate him(as well as fine him), I didn't realise that when bowyer said he's looking for players with the right character that he meant brainless white trash.

Ive just been reading about ryan tunnicliffes indiscretion that has got him banned for a few games next deason and caused his own club to investigate him(as well as fine him), I didn't realise that when bowyer said he's looking for players with the right character that he meant brainless white trash.

You must have missed the Paul Taylor loan transfer then.

I think people need to accept that Gary is going to be incharge next season, certainly seems to be very confident that he will be and is working on getting some players in (so it looks like he has been told what budgets he has to work with).

I don't believe that he is good enough to get us into top 6, but now that he is staying on I will get behind him. Keanochio was really the only manager that I absolutely hated.

Oooh I am sooo excited with the new fixtures published. With GB in charge we are going to rock.

Come on Team Gazza.....you are our very own Mr Motivator.

Brought back GMTV 1980's flashback or was it the BBC one, anyway Sorry couldn't resist

MRMOTIVATOR_zpsagfwubos.jpg

I personally don't find any of this funny.

C'mon Jbizzle cheer up, if the owners and numerous of their appointments have / are taking the Pi** out of the club then surely as supporters we are entitled to make the best of a bad situation, its one of the things that may be keeping a few of us sane until the loons and the hangers on depart .

Reading between the lines of what Kammy said it's pretty obvious that the "statement" that had their names on at the end of the 13/14 season can be now filed with the rest of their promises , statements, confusion etc in the bulls**** drawer.

One of the comforts is that at least with GB in charge I'm pretty confident we won't get relegated

• Backroom

Nor do I, it's not funny at all that the managerial situation isn't being addressed.

One of the comforts is that at least with GB in charge I'm pretty confident we won't get relegated

For any club under the embargo and for any manager of a club under the embargo, not getting relegated has to be the number one priority. I agree with you that Bowyer will keep us up and for me, looking at the situation we face, that would be a success particularly if we lose Gestede (highly likely) or Rhodes (rather more unlikely). Any run of injuries to key players would be almost impossible to compensate for because of the restrictions on squad numbers. It should all make for a really interesting season and one I'm looking forward to seeing how it unfolds. Whilst there are a number on the forums who take pleasure in mocking the club - ironically some of whom have actually given up on the club - outside of the small numbers who post on here there are many within the wider fan base who still care deeply about the club and struggle to understand the constant belittling of the club. We all know the owners have seriously holed the club below the waterline but at the moment we are still here, still battling and hopefully still surviving. As Kamy said earlier, all we, as supporters can do, is get behind the manager and the players.

For any club under the embargo and for any manager of a club under the embargo, not getting relegated has to be the number one priority. I agree with you that Bowyer will keep us up and for me, looking at the situation we face, that would be a success particularly if we lose Gestede (highly likely) or Rhodes (rather more unlikely). Any run of injuries to key players would be almost impossible to compensate for because of the restrictions on squad numbers. It should all make for a really interesting season and one I'm looking forward to seeing how it unfolds. Whilst there are a number on the forums who take pleasure in mocking the club - ironically some of whom have actually given up on the club - outside of the small numbers who post on here there are many within the wider fan base who still care deeply about the club and struggle to understand the constant belittling of the club. We all know the owners have seriously holed the club below the waterline but at the moment we are still here, still battling and hopefully still surviving. As Kamy said earlier, all we, as supporters can do, is get behind the manager and the players.

I am one of those - on the basis that I cannot understand the agenda of the Owners, Board and Management Team hell bent on taking Rovers to oblivion.

You have your pop at some Fans on almost every post usually to justify your own view. Fans are just Fans - thank God - and we will always have differing views.

Parson, I respect your views but do wish you'd stop suggesting that those who have reached cut off point have given up on the club. Most still care deeply but, in the face of the indifference and negligence of our owners and the apparent inability of our manager to get more than mediocre performances from players, have simply lost the will to feel tied to going to every match. You still have not reached that point and I hope you never do, because it's not a great place to be, but some have and you really shouldn't appear to be sitting in judgement on them.

• Moderation Lead

I'll be honest, I'd imagine anyone that supports the club, irrespective of their stance on attendance cares deeply about the club. I know many that are so dismayed at the way the club is being run they can't bear to go to games any more, both online and offline.

I really don't think this time with such poor ownership can be compared to any other time in our history and simply saying 'people have turned their back on the club when the going gets tough' is too simplistic and poor form imo.

'Like' Two new signings and how Lowe's name will be pre-printed on the team sheets.

"Lowey is doing ever so well too. I cant stress how big a loss he was for us last season with his energy and his sensing of danger in that position he plays."

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/13338340.Return_of_Jason_Lowe_and_Shane_Duffy_like__new_signings__for_Blackburn_Rovers/?ref=mac

Bowyer relishing the start of the season and not getting dumped out of the league cup at the first hurdle (inc. obligatory excuse about resources just in case we lose to Wolves)

http://m.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/13338338.Blackburn_Rovers_boss_Gary_Bowyer_relishing_start_of_new_Championship_season/?ref=mac

Supporter humour all but dried up over a decade ago in the stale modern football world, don't pull your face because some still have a bit. Maybe we should start a fanzine style section on the MB for those who want to rip the @#/? a little bit. The easily offended & mard can give it a swerve :)

Archived