BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bolton v Rovers

Neal

It doesn't make sense for Bowyer to play Rhodes at the moment. His tactics are not designed to make best use of Rhodes finishing talents.

Of course there is always the chance that Rhodes may finish a scrap or rebound but we aren't doing enough to create scraps or rebounds.

The difference in our opinions is that I want Bowyer to change this and return to trying to get the team to create opportunities [for him or with him], whereas you seem to simply want him to drop Rhodes. I can only assume then that you think Bowyer's midfield set up is the right one.

&mbps;Funny thing is - whatever the tactics - it sounded like Rhodes missed a one on one with the keeper as well as a simple header. As for playing him as captain - there was only possibly Robinson as a suitable candidate - but personally I thought it may have been a way of helping to build up his confidence (I wonder he has ever had such a long goalless run of games in his career)

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Funnily enough he had a similar spell this time last season, we all blamed Appleton but maybe he just doesn't like the start of a year

Didn't realise he was till I read this post. Ridiculous decision from the manager.

Personally I would play Gestede over Rhodes every time. JR rarely contributes to the team and I'd certainly drop him for next week.

If the idea of making him captain is a little ridiculous, using the terms "JR Rarely contributes to the team" is extremely ridiculous!

He might not be a terrier who gets up and down the pitch like Paul Dickov, but if he had only touched the ball 43 times in 70 odd games I would be happy because that's how many he's scored.

To say our best goal scorer barely contributes is just plain daft. I would go with the potential idea of dropping him due to a barren run, but don't let that blinker his contribution in the last 18 months.

Like others have said three points is three points. To sacrifice three points at bolton in the faint hope of getting something out of the dingle game is just plain stupid. No way has bowyer done that.

I agree it isn't the wisest thing to do, but we've all seen managers bring players back quicker, or hold players back from a return, depending upon when a more important game is coming up. All I was trying to get across is that Bowyer would not be human, if he had not thought of the extra significance of the Burnley game, and that could well have influenced any 50-50 type decisions on whether players are fit etc.

It's the same in all walks of life -lets say you have 2 presentations to do, one for a major supplier, one for a less important one, it'd be only natural to be tempted to put more energy into the one for the major supplier. Not a perfect example, but hopefully you see what I'm trying to get out.

Have generally been content with Bowyer this season bar a handful of fixtures but Saturdays match was inevitable at some point and I for one am left pretty darn disillusioned by the clubs current ambitions. I just hope it doesn't continue against Burnley because they actually will crush us in our own back yard. We might not like them but you have to admire how they have played. To be where they are at this stage of the season is pretty remarkable stuff.

Having said that, this isn't Sean Dyche's first season in charge their. He has had a few transfer windows now with the club. I guess there is some luck in keeping Ings and Vokes both match fit but those two have really stepped up to the plate.

Starting to worry about Rhodes now. It must be about 10 games without a goal or something close to that. Is he becoming the new John Stead? Did he have a similar spell this time last season? I seem to remember a dry patch.

As for the defense it is quite simple really, if you sell 1 of your first choice centre halves and don't bring in cover for your only 2 remaining players in that position (1 of which is injury prone) then you will get found out.

It's really worrying when Olsson gets picked considering he's been absolutely nowhere near the first team all season long and we have just entered March, which is traditionally the start of the business end of the Championship. So many games in the next two months we can't be relying on League 1 / 2 standard players like Olsson to keep us where we are in the league never mind the playoffs.

Realistically never thought we would be close to promotion this season. Our squad just doesn't cut it yet and i'm not sure it ever will with Bowyer in charge while he thinks our best team includes Williamson and Lowe in midfield.

Have generally been content with Bowyer this season bar a handful of fixtures but Saturdays match was inevitable at some point and I for one am left pretty darn disillusioned by the clubs current ambitions. I just hope it doesn't continue against Burnley because they actually will crush us in our own back yard. We might not like them but you have to admire how they have played. To be where they are at this stage of the season is pretty remarkable stuff.

Having said that, this isn't Sean Dyche's first season in charge their. He has had a few transfer windows now with the club. I guess there is some luck in keeping Ings and Vokes both match fit but those two have really stepped up to the plate.

Starting to worry about Rhodes now. It must be about 10 games without a goal or something close to that. Is he becoming the new John Stead? Did he have a similar spell this time last season? I seem to remember a dry patch.

As for the defense it is quite simple really, if you sell 1 of your first choice centre halves and don't bring in cover for your only 2 remaining players in that position (1 of which is injury prone) then you will get found out.

It's really worrying when Olsson gets picked considering he's been absolutely nowhere near the first team all season long and we have just entered March, which is traditionally the start of the business end of the Championship. So many games in the next two months we can't be relying on League 1 / 2 standard players like Olsson to keep us where we are in the league never mind the playoffs.

Realistically never thought we would be close to promotion this season. Our squad just doesn't cut it yet and i'm not sure it ever will with Bowyer in charge while he thinks our best team includes Williamson and Lowe in midfield.

I agree with lots of this post, reasoned arguments using lots of scope bringing a balanced view, I wish we had more posters of this ilk! One of the main parts is that about Dyche, he has obviously built on the first season. It's also a negative for us that one of their best players pretty much dragged our midfield to survival with his performances against Millwall et al last season. David Jones of course. If we had him we wouldn't be discussing the Williamson and Lowe debacle at all.

That said, I know why we didn't get him. Age. It is obvious that GB has been asked to bring cheaper young players with a resale, and David Jones never had that element to his appeal. It is a good comparison to use Burnley also, because if their frail squad had sustained the level of injuries we have, it would be a miracle to see them in the promotion picture.

Another point struck me this morning as I replayed Bowyer's post match interview. He said we played three up front (we didn't) to try and get back into the game but when we were three down on EVERY corner and set play we were defending he sent back every outfield player. Bad beyond belief.

To say our best goal scorer barely contributes is just plain daft. I would go with the potential idea of dropping him due to a barren run, but don't let that blinker his contribution in the last 18 months.

You have a point JB but 'contributes (to the team)' should be replaced with 'contributed (to the team)'. If JR isn't scoring we almost may as well play with 10. I've said it before and I'll say it again, in football you are only as good as your last game.

Lack of confidence is deadly to most footballers and sometimes a spell on the bench and out of the spotlight can work wonders to restore it.

I agree with lots of this post, reasoned arguments using lots of scope bringing a balanced view, I wish we had more posters of this ilk! One of the main parts is that about Dyche, he has obviously built on the first season. It's also a negative for us that one of their best players pretty much dragged our midfield to survival with his performances against Millwall et al last season. David Jones of course. If we had him we wouldn't be discussing the Williamson and Lowe debacle at all.

That said, I know why we didn't get him. Age. It is obvious that GB has been asked to bring cheaper young players with a resale, and David Jones never had that element to his appeal. It is a good comparison to use Burnley also, because if their frail squad had sustained the level of injuries we have, it would be a miracle to see them in the promotion picture.

How do you know we didn't sign Jones because of his age? Just wondering because you ask for reasoned debate.

He was let go in order to make room for Spearing who then screwed us up by choosing Bolton. Dave Jones is very one footed but tackles like a tiger and pretty much guarantees 100% effort from what I saw of him last season.The way he is performing for Burnley reminds me of Peter Noble. Better for us than against us.

Another point struck me this morning as I replayed Bowyer's post match interview. He said we played three up front (we didn't) to try and get back into the game but when we were three down on EVERY corner and set play we were defending he sent back every outfield player. Bad beyond belief.

I assume that he meant that we had 3 centre forwards on the pitch for the second half. Unforunately he played the worst target man at centre forward and the other two on either wing. Crazy tactics. Like I said earlier Bolton's management team must have had a right old laugh at Bowyer after the game.

How do you know we didn't sign Jones because of his age? Just wondering because you ask for reasoned debate.

I know was probably missing the (IMO) - if DJones had not performed he would have been another expensive drain compared to the cheap young nature of most of our other purchases at that time. I'm not saying I agree with it, I think we would be several points better off with him - potentially in the playoff places. It's easy to say this now though, after seeing his performances for Burnley.

why would we have needed "resale value" on Jones?

He was a free agent.

He's 6 months older than Conway, and younger than Kilgallon.

Wages of ex prem compared to say Marrow/Judge. He may or may not have fancied Dave or more likely Jones didn't fancy coming back! Added to the fact we signed Evans, looked at Spearing, Murphy and Davis from wolves - You could see we wanted to invest any money we had.

He was let go in order to make room for Spearing who then screwed us up by choosing Bolton. Dave Jones is very one footed but tackles like a tiger and pretty much guarantees 100% effort from what I saw of him last season.The way he is performing for Burnley reminds me of Peter Noble. Better for us than against us.

I assume that he meant that we had 3 centre forwards on the pitch for the second half. Unforunately he played the worst target man at centre forward and the other two on either wing. Crazy tactics. Like I said earlier Bolton's management team must have had a right old laugh at Bowyer after the game.

Gestede's booking early on effectively nullified his "battering ram" role. I agree with the Jones issue though, not looking forward to him playing at Ewood this Sunday.

Bowyer's done that numerous times this season. It's absolutely school boy stuff. You leave at least one quick(ish) man up top when defending set pieces so that you have half a chance of retaining the ball and to give them something to think about. I'd understand it if we were 1 up in the dying stages, but he does it when we're getting battered or level!

Bowyer's done that numerous times this season. It's absolutely school boy stuff. You leave at least one quick(ish) man up top when defending set pieces so that you have half a chance of retaining the ball and to give them something to think about. I'd understand it if we were 1 up in the dying stages, but he does it when we're getting battered or level!

No one described it as school boy stuff under Kenny D and that was a regular tactic back then.

Interesting that again defeat generates 3 more pages of response than the good win at Reading.

The win at Reading was based on luck that Reading could only manage one shot on target from their seventeen attempts at goal.

To be fair USA most were amazed by the Reading result and expected the Bolton one there as well.

We cannot rely on total defence all the time. We are OK unless the other side score then we have to get back into the game and get exposed and then we are stuffed.

I cannot recall us getting back into a game after going behind this season although we did salvage a draw at Burnley and came from behind at Barnsley but that is it.

Interesting that again defeat generates 3 more pages of response than the good win at Reading.

You had to be at Bolton to witness that abjectly poor and disinterested performance when we are supposed to be pulling out all the stops for a play off place!

That's human nature. People are generally more vocal about bad experiences rather than good ones.

To be fair USA most were amazed by the Reading result and expected the Bolton one there as well.

We cannot rely on total defence all the time. We are OK unless the other side score then we have to get back into the game and get exposed and then we are stuffed.

I cannot recall us getting back into a game after going behind this season although we did salvage a draw at Burnley and came from behind at Barnsley but that is it.

That's been the story for too long. We go behind and it's as good as over. Not enough fighting spirit anywhere in the club.

Loads of young lads around Chorley area support Bolton and quite a few Rovers. After glancing at some notlob boards it sounds like a yoof meet up. Devonshire rec is a fair way from the train station. Pillocks acting out some Green Street or something.

Archived