BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Manager? What would you do?

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nothing you can do if the players have give up.

manager can only do as much as he can..

You are not for real - and you think Abbey talks @#/??

Players give up on managers not football.

You think that we can't sack Bowyer because of employment laws?

In your quest to remain defiantly positive (and unquestioningly support Bowyer), you are making yourself look stupid.

You are not for real - and you think Abbey talks kean?

In your quest to remain defiantly positive (and unquestioningly support Bowyer), you are making yourself look stupid.

Stuart, yet again its lets have a go at Chaddy day again. Abbey has done it on another thread so I guess its your turn now.

where the hell did I say we couldnt sack.Bowyer due to employment law??? NEVER DID AT ALL.

more of the players didnt look up for up at all last night. manager fault? playet fault? for me both at fault abit.

You are not for real - and you think Abbey talks kean?

So we sack Bowyer and next season we again are in mid-table at this point. Do we sack the new guy? It's time some supporters started to get real. Between 1966 and 1991 we were outside of the top flight. Should we have sacked the manager at the end of every season? Ken Furphy was brought in in 1971 to get us out of the Third Division but nobody demanded his resignation when we were still in that Division in 1973. Indeed, Furphy moved on to higher things before the Rovers finally got out of that Division. Eddie Quigley, Jim Smith, Bob Saxton, etc. all failed to get us instant promotion but were all given several years to try not just twelve months.

Without Jack's money we would never have enjoyed the last twenty odd years. That has now gone and the only way we will get back is back sheer hard work. However, unlike Burnley, we have a huge debt hanging over our head and sacking the manager, bringing in a new guy who wants his own staff and own players simply adds to that debt.

Sadly, there are no quick solutions to our problems. It's going to be a long haul, but sacking the manager every five minutes is no short cut to any form of success.

So we sack Bowyer and next season we again are in mid-table at this point. Do we sack the new guy? It's time some supporters started to get real. Between 1966 and 1991 we were outside of the top flight. Should we have sacked the manager at the end of every season? Ken Furphy was brought in in 1971 to get us out of the Third Division but nobody demanded his resignation when we were still in that Division in 1973. Indeed, Furphy moved on to higher things before the Rovers finally got out of that Division. Eddie Quigley, Jim Smith, Bob Saxton, etc. all failed to get us instant promotion but were all given several years to try not just twelve months.

Without Jack's money we would never have enjoyed the last twenty odd years. That has now gone and the only way we will get back is back sheer hard work. However, unlike Burnley, we have a huge debt hanging over our head and sacking the manager, bringing in a new guy who wants his own staff and own players simply adds to that debt.

Sadly, there are no quick solutions to our problems. It's going to be a long haul, but sacking the manager every five minutes is no short cut to any form of success.

Correct.

In an ideal world getting in another manager may be the answer. But there is no money to do it. This is Bowyers first season.

Sadly, venkys also here to stay - nobody will take on the debt that rovers have.

See where you are coming from PB and in most your are correct but think the loyalty may becoming too blue spectacled - but as I don 't know you personally I will respect your viewpoint.

Is it not GB who has been spouting the rubbish of promotion and # games to go and we can still make/not give up - then blaming other things rather than his own decisions?

70's before my time - doubt though it was spouted at the beginning or during the season that Promotion was a 'must' - and I know the demands were probably not the same but the 'want ' must have been there just for pure footballing terms ( in fact can't remember it during the eighties being spouted either and we just got on with it to see where theseason took us and only became a 'priority as such when Jack came in)

As I have stated previously on this MB I did not want Gb in the first place as was not convinced in his first caretaker stint /never mind the 2nd and had no doubts we would not make the playoffs this season but was prepared to give him time - however I am not one for sacking managers either and think it wil be the long haul but we have played boring/slow/predicatable clueless football all season - which arguably is better on the eye than what we have had for the previous 2-3 seasons ( but shows how far we had fallen) but is it really improving to the fact that we can see progress in the future?

From the outside the boat appears to have steadied but we now need to dock, clear the decks and take on a new owner and crew.

If anyone is expecting the loons to pull the trigger on Bowyer and appoint an experienced manager, you are just making the inevitable pain much worse.

If they sacked Bowyer right now, the only person that would ever be inline to take the job would be Craig Short. Venkys would stick him "temporarily" in charge while they take a month to decide who to appoint next before just employing him full time.

Clown, Berg, Appleton, Bowyer - if they haven't learnt by the time they need to appoint their 5th manager, they never will.

fix tonight game???

what a load of sh!t again Abbey. you are talking a load of crap.

Ha and you say it's have a go at chaddy day..how do you know for a FACT it wasn't fixed .? I said it looked like it could have been but you say it factually wasn't . It must be great knowing everything .Chaddy it's a message board people argue people disagree .. If you want to take it to heart stop posting & stop posting happy clapping blue tinted venky brainwashing propoganda .

((Abbey puts arm round chaddy and says chill dude just chill))

Parson , it was a different era back then , no one expected anything only graft and a will to win . We fans knew the score , just like we know the score now.

We wernt promised Beckhamesque players, we wernt promised European cup trophies, we wernt promised balony. Hell we wernt offered top flight tickets 12 months in advance .

This sorry bunch are not fit to clean the players of the 80's squad.

Parson , it was a different era back then , no one expected anything only graft and a will to win . We fans knew the score , just like we know the score now.

We wernt promised Beckhamesque players, we wernt promised European cup trophies, we wernt promised balony. Hell we wernt offered top flight tickets 12 months in advance .

This sorry bunch are not fit to clean the players of the 80's squad.

You'll get no argument from me on that Abbey. The problem is some actually believed that Desai and her clan would improve us. Most knew the minute that Sam was sacked and Kean put in charge that we were finished. Sadly, until someone wants to buy the club there is no alternative to them paying the wages. I'm not bothered about the players but the ordinary folk employed at Ewood and Brockhall are the ones who will suffer if they pull the plug.

Best solution to our problems is to select the best available man for the job and then stick with him. Venky's have never, ever done this.

Not to pick another guy who's way out of his depth and stick by him come what may.

But I guess the whole argument is null and void because there's no telling what Venky's will do, other than to say whatever they choose to do will no doubt be the wrong option.

There's been some accusation of fans being 'trigger happy' after last season's debacle. No, the problem is that this club has never once had an experienced manager during Venky's calamitous ownership. It's been a tragedy of errors, one after the other. Bowyer could well indeed prove his critics wrong in time and become the next Cloughie for all we know, but time is a luxury the club can ill afford in its current state as financial oblivion beckons. Kean, Berg, Appleton... none of them have any proven pedigree on which to allow them the benefit of the doubt in the hopes of them turning things around. Bowyer is seemingly the best of a bad bunch but there's no room for sentiment when the club's long-term future hangs in the balance. I'm sure I don't need to make you aware of that, nor anyone else for that matter. It's all pissing in the wind because we've been repeating the 'proven manager' mantra for nigh on four years now and Venky's reaction is to do the complete opposite. They're consistent, if nothing else!

You'll get no argument from me on that Abbey. The problem is some actually believed that Desai and her clan would improve us. Most knew the minute that Sam was sacked and Kean put in charge that we were finished. Sadly, until someone wants to buy the club there is no alternative to them paying the wages. I'm not bothered about the players but the ordinary folk employed at Ewood and Brockhall are the ones who will suffer if they pull the plug.

I'm surprised the employees have lasted as long as they have under the butchers .

This time last season we had Appleton in charge, watching dire hoofball rubbish with no entertainment value and no chance of promotion.

This season we have Bowyer in charge, watching dire hoofball rubbish with no entertainment value and no chance of promotion.

Same number of points.

Progress my arse.

Get someone in with experience, tactical knowledge and a desire to entertain the fans - now!

They finally need to appoint someone suitable for the task in hand, IMO Bowyer has proved beyond doubt that he is not upto the job.

We have not made any progress and if allowed to continue we will at best stagnate in this league for years to come.

Forget last season's regular change of managers... that is not a reason to keep somebody equally as incapable just because there was a managerial merry-go-round. I feel now is the time to act and finally get something right.

So we sack Bowyer and next season we again are in mid-table at this point........

Do you think that we can achieve any success playing the type/style of football we do under Bowyer?

I think the way the team plays is a bugbear with many fans.

Do you think that we can achieve any success playing the type/style of football we do under Bowyer?

I think the way the team plays is a bugbear with many fans.

I think, in all honesty Aggy, his approach his similar to Howard Kendall. Keep it tight at the back and then nick a goal. Unfortunately, Gary doesn't have a keeper like Arnold, nor a defence of Branagan, Keeley, Faz and Rathbone. Gary doesn't have Kendall and Parkes driving the midfield and nor does he have a Duncan McKenzie to create something out of nothing. Although I'll admit that Rhodes is another Andy Crawford but without the ego. There is nothing wrong with the plan it's just that our players don't seem capable of carrying it out. Looking at some of them last night, I'm not sure what plan they would be capable of carrying out.

I'd agree with that. He has an old school style but doesn't have, pick or sign the players to fit it. Therefore something has to change, we don't tackle anyway but those kind of tactics are outdated because they are built on robust and dirty tackles :) You can't do that in the modern day anyway.

So we sack Bowyer and next season we again are in mid-table at this point.

If we don't sack him will we even be mid table next season? I think he's getting worse personally.

I said the same with Kean and I got stick for it. I hope history doesn't repeat itself because if we end up in league 1 we are done.

Last 3 games haven't been good enough, simple as that. Does that mean we sack the manager? Absolutely not. We'll never go anywhere if we sack the manager every time we lose 3 on the trot. I understand the frustration and anger of the last 3 games, particularly losing to Burnley, and GB has made a lot of mistakes this season but, overall, he has done a very good job in the past 12 months. People say we're only 1 point off where we were this stage last season which must mean we've made no progress. That is far too simplistic a view to have. When I look at the core group of players GB has brought in and looking ahead to next season, I see a very promising core group of players:

Hanley, Kilgallon, Spurr, Henley, Evans, Cairney, Taylor, Marshall, Conway, King, Rhodes (?), Gestede.

Compare that to the core group of players we finished last season with: Murphy et al

Tactically, people say GB is not very good. He is a defensive manager for sure and that has worked well for large parts of the season with one of the highest number of clean sheets in the lge. Can he change a game with tactical substitutions? Probably not. Is he too defensive? Yes, at times. Has every signing he's made been a good one? No. These 3 things are what GB has fallen down on this season but with another summer window to shift out more deadwood, free up wages and bring in 2 or 3 first teamers, we will be in a strong position. Add that to the extra year the players will have had to gel and play with each other as well as the younger players having more experience under their belt, we will be a force. Need to add more creativty and pace to the midfield in the summer. We also need a play maker in the David Dunn role.

Last night and against Bolton seemed to be down to a lack of effort which is unusual for a GB team. When we have lost this season it has largely been down to individual mistakes or the other team having more quality.

If we sack the manager, more changes to the playing squad in the summer, players will take time to gel, lose a few matches, sack manager and process starts again. That's not what I want to see. If we can get a Mackay or a Curbishley then by all means change the manager but that won't happen so let's stick with Bowyer.

Employing a good manager is the only solution Parson. Sticking with someone not up to it guarantees failure.

This kind of discussion is all generalities though. With Bowyer, or any other manager, it's simple. Is he going to take you to where you want to go? If he is, then stick with him. If he's not then he has to go whatever the last group of managers have done - or not. We aren't an amateur football club, we're a longstanding professional club, one of the best in England, who's duty it is, to employ the best it can find. The fans have every right to demand that the club attract the very best it can. Just putting up with someone because of past failures is no good. As someone said recently - "he's playing with the big boys now". **

**regards to Glenn :)

• Moderation Lead

If Bowyer loves the club like he claims to, then he'd quit, knowing he wasn't up to it. He'd have to have serious levels of delusion like a former manager to believe he was still the right man....

Archived