BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 19 Years Ago Today

19 years ago today one of the best moments of my life took place, my beloved Blackburn Rovers, that small mill town dined at the very top table of British football by becoming Premier League Champions. What a magnificent season it was.

It was all down to the dream, vision and determination of one man, a man who wanted to put Blackburn back on the map. His family may not have cared to much about his legacy but we the fans will always remember what Uncle Jack did for the club and town. Thankyou Uncle Jack.

Relive that wonderful afternoon at Anfield:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxTSw1QvLII

19 years ago today one of the best moments of my life took place, my beloved Blackburn Rovers, that small mill town dined at the very top table of British football by becoming Premier League Champions. What a magnificent season it was.

It was all down to the dream, vision and determination of one man, a man who wanted to put Blackburn back on the map. His family may not have cared to much about his legacy but we the fans will always remember what Uncle Jack did for the club and town. Thankyou Uncle Jack.

Brilliant Kamy, thanks.

Shame I was so young. I've always said that if I could pick an age for us to have won the league it I would be how I am now; 24.

Was anyone that age at the time to tell me how incredible that day was?

Anyone on twitter should be tweeting #ThankYouUncleJack - try to get it trending if we can.

I was 14 that day and never thought it wouldn't happen again. It was years before Internet was in my use and the big picture wasn't so big for me back then. I remembered my two United friends with a phone call. Since then I've made United friends a lot more but don't know a single Rovers fan personally.

Brilliant Kamy, thanks.

Shame I was so young. I've always said that if I could pick an age for us to have won the league it I would be how I am now; 24.

Bit of a strange couple of days for me. We had desparately tried to get hold of tickets for the game at Anfield and failed miserably. I was 16 at the time and, as luck would have it, I had two end of year exams the day after at Runshaw college (Leyland)

I ended up watching at my mate's house on the most glorious of May Sunday afternoons. If you think the victory a week earlier against Newcastle (bottle) was tense, well this was like that game, plus the last twenty minutes of the Worthington cup final, multiplied by the play off final v Leicester four years earlier.

Pretty soon into the second half of our game and after Liverpool had equalised, we realised that Rovers weren't playing well enough to secure the victory so flicked over to the other channel to watch West Ham v United. I swear that West Ham didn't get into United's half for the entire second half and after they had equalised (McClair?) it was horrendous. Chance after chance went begging owing to some fantastic goalkeeping, corageous defending and some wayward finishing. On another day, United would have scored at least three and our hopes and dreams as well as nine months of blood sweat and tears would have been wasted. As it turned out, someone was looking down on us favourably that day and although Jamie Rednapp had slammed a free kick in to the top corner in the last minute, it turned out to be irrelevant. I still haven't forgiven Mr Rednapp junior for that indescretion at around 4.45 on 14th May, but I'd be more than happy to accept an apology off Mrs Rednapp............. in her pants. Cue boucning around my mate's living room and a glass of champagne!

I did, however, still have these two exams to think about and after two Man City fans shook my hand and said well done at the top of Fox Lane in Leyland, then it was back to the books!! Well, on such a high it was like trying to get a two year old to sleep after three cans of red bull and a packet of haribos. No revision done and I tried to watch every news bulletin going to drink of much of it in as I could.

Exams the following day, but not before I'd bought every national newspaper as a souvenir. I have no recollection of the exam in the morning of the 15th, save for the fact that I've never seen as many blue and white shirts in one place outside of Ewood. Over lunch and between our exams, a rumour had gone round that there was going to be a parade or something similar on at Ewood that night. Don't forget that this was before twitter, facebook and before mobile phones became affordable to the masses, so how the news got round, then I'm not too sure. All I knew was that it was a first come, first served basis down at Ewood, and not having a season ticket, but despite going to all of the games, I wasn't going to get a seat unless I got out of my 20th Century history exam early. As an aside- that season I had managed to get hold of tickets for the home fixtures by writing a hand written letter to the club shop and enclosing a postal order for the amount of the ticket. Wow- almost seems arcahic looking back when you can pretty much buy a season ticket with two or three clicks of the mouse.

I rushed through my exam as quickly as I could and with around 25 - 30 over Rovers in the exam hall having the same idea, it was pretty hilarious looking back to see blue and white clothed arms shooting up in the air asking if they could leave as they had finished their paper. The invigilators must have known what was going on but as young adults (ahem!) we were at liberty to make our own choices. A sprint home, bite to eat, a jump in the car with my Dad, a pick up in Brindle along the way and we were there.

A great evening at Ewood to finish off a marvellous season, and aside from the footage on end of season videos and DVD's the only other recollection is swaying to "We are the Champions" whilst holding one end of a Roves scarf with a total stranger. I doubt, I'll ever see the likes of it again, but for one glorious summer nineteen years ago we were the best in England, number one out of 92 professional teams. It might not have lasted, and we may well have been one season wonders, but there are only four other sets of fans who can say their team won the Premier league. I've had great days / weekends out / away with the Rovers- the weekend in Cardiff in 2002 being another highlight, but it doesn't come close to 14th May and the words of Martin Tyler off sky always make me fill up every time I hear the commentary "Let me say it once again, Blackburn Rovers are the champions"

• Backroom

I was ten and watched it on tv.

With about 10 minutes to go I couldn't take anymore or deal with watching the agonising end and went up to my room, then I heard screaming Downstairs - they had taken the lead I led on my bed and started to cry.

Then literally seconds later more screams, but in a different tone completely, it was over at Upton Park - we had done it! What a roller coaster!

One of my favourite shots of that day is the man in the crowd with the tash listening to his radio and getting angry and swearing then second later celebrating like a mad man!

We'll never experience times like it again and like jimmy I wish I could have been a bit older to enjoy it fully but I'm just grateful to have been witness to it and have a season ticket in that fabulous season.

Imagine the utter desolation we would have felt if we had let it go on the last day!

Thank you Jack!

I was 9. Watched the games at my granddad because we didn't have sky at that point. I remember distinctly feeling like I would remember that day- can still picture the weather. Not to dissimilar to today!

The game was harsh- it felt like we would not quite make it in large parts of the game. My grandad switched to the West Ham game and Ludek Miklosko became a hero for rovers fans.

Amazing memories- we celebrated with a bucket of KFC and the trip back home with the windows down was littered with sights of more Rovers shirts than I have seen since!

Brilliant Kamy, thanks.

Anyone on twitter should be tweeting #ThankYouUncleJack - try to get it trending if we can.

I was 5 days away from my 24th birthday. What a birthday present it was! I was sat in the Anfield Rd stand with other Rovers Fans and Liverpool fans that day. It was truly amazing and by far the best day of my life and also the worst! The tension was unbearable and we had to rely on a man with a radio sat 10 rows in front to keep us to date with the score at Upton Park. When the final whistle went and we knew we had done it - it was incredible. Something I will never experience again and I'm glad I was the age I was - I was old enough to celebrate properly - the celebrations went on for at least a week!! But not too old to have lost the excitement that comes with getting older. Obviously, it will never happen again, but there aren't many people that can say the saw their team win the Premier League. No-one will ever take that away. Happy memories. Thanks Jack .

I was 8 and watched it up at my grandparents house with the family. Didn't really go through the ringer as much as I would have if I had been older.

For me, Rovers were a top side, 4th, 2nd then 1st. We were United's biggest rivals with more money than anyone else.

I remember going down to Ewood later that night in anticipation of the players returning on the coach with the trophy, but they went straight out to Bisto French in Preston!!

The day after at Ewood was special though, the trophy lifted in front of a packed house.

I remember being stood on my chair in the Riverside and my dad said to me, ''take this in Roger, because this will probably never happen again''. I'm glad I paid attention!

Obviously as time has gone by I appreciate it more and more. Whilst I wish I had been 18 not 8, I'm just happy I was alive when it happened.

How time flies, I was 31, sat [mainly stood] in the cramped away end, failing to comprehend how we lost, but had still won the title. Being at the game was probably best as you didn't have to suffer the tension of watching the WHU game.

Lots of rumours spread, but with the Kop willing us to win the PL, the scenes at the end were unforgettable.

I was driving, if memory serves me, and we went and sat in the Clock Face pub on the outskirts of Liverpool, put ceefax on the telly, and froze the top of the PL, with us on the summit!

Seems a lifetime away now.....

I had three tickets for me and my brothers for the game at Anfield from a contact at Liverpool but sadly a few days before I received an appointment for a Play Off game at Tranmere but I had no problem getting rid of the ticket. The Tranmere game kicked off earlier than the game at Anfield and I was driving down Rice Lane as our game was in progress. My big regret was that I didn't drive to Anfiled and sneak in for the las few minutes. I can still remeber the bridge I was driving under on the M58 when Guy Havord on Radio Lancashire said the Rovers were Champions. The adrenelin rush I had would have matched any artificial stimulants.

The day before the game at Anfield I got a call from John Newsham who confidentially told me that Ewood Park would be opened on the Monday night if we won and a game would be played (along with the celebration night) and would I like to referee it. The details were confirmed to me by John on Monday morning and I actually stood in the tunnel with all the players and management before they weny out to receive the trophy and their medals. My son was with me and had a plaster cast on his arm after falling off a wall whilst celebrating the win. Jack Walker made a bee line for him and asked him how he had done that and called him a 'gormless bugger'. The signed cast is still a prized possession.

I also got eight tickets for a function in the Premier Suite after the match. It was quite funny as when I was going into the Premier Suite there were several Stewards who insisted on seeing tickets. Believe it or not David Batty was refused entry by some jobsworth and I gave him a spare ticket I had. The players were all in there and my kids and nieces had a whale of a time getting autographs and generally being star struck.

I am forever indebted the the Great Man for allowing this to happen.

Contrary to popular opinion I bloody well hated every minute of that day (apart from Shearer scoring) until the last minute when I saw KMD and the rest of the coaches and squad jumping about when they heard Man Utd had not beaten WHU. tbh It was bloody awful and I was so keyed up that I'd enjoyed very little over the final couple of months of that season. What contrasted so much was the euphoria that engulfed me for the rest of that day and even for a couple of days after.

Once in a lifetime for which we should all be eternally grateful to the man.

It won't be happening again and its a brave fan who thinks we will have gone up from the Championship in the next 19 years under these complete fools. In fact, to adopt Abbey's stance for a minute , I think many of us would be delighted to think the Club will still be here in 19 years time.

Unforgettable memories that we will take to our graves,just how lucky were we all to have experienced that.

As mentioned we should celebrate the 20th anniversary...I sincerely hope this site and its members will be pressing the Club and Council to officially mark the avent.

:brfc::rover:

Brilliant Kamy, thanks.

I was 24 at the time and i'll tell you now it was horrible the 2nd half of the match and once Redknapp fired in that free kick i thought we'd keaned it.However once the news came in from Upton park the feeling of despair soon turned into tears of joy and it was off round the pubs lording it up over every kind of fan in the town.Burnley fans,united fans in all fairness they all congratulated us and some of them bought us drinks.A truly unforgettable day which i don't think i'll ever see the likes of again.

Archived