BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rumour: Josh King extends contract

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The club can only do their side of the bargain. To offer a three year contract to someone like Josh King with his injury record and number of games is a fantastic offer, assuming that they are at least matching his existing salary. They have made the offer early on in the summer and are giving him time to consider it. I just hope they don't allow him to muck us about and have attached a deadline for a firm answer from him.

Whilst there might be one or two Premier League clubs casting an eye over him, the chances of any of those offering him a 3 year deal I would imagine are very slim, and it wouldn't surprise me if he didn't get any concrete offers from Premier League clubs. Those who have done their homework on him will have watched him in games other than Swansea/Stoke and will have seen the other side to him which we have seen on a more regular basis.

Taylor and Williamson I'm not so sure about, but given the embargo it is going to be much easier keeping them here than it would be trying to bring in replacements. I do worry about us starting games next season with a 34 year old Williamson in the centre of midfield.

• Backroom

I would offer Chris Taylor a new deal as he can play in 3 different positions but defo wouldn't offer Williamson a new deal

I'd offer Willo a 1yr deal with provisos on performance and an optional year extension should he exceed a certain (high) number of games.

He's a very tidy, experienced player to have around and handy in an injury crisis.

• Backroom

Williamson is far too slow and will only become less mobile as time goes on. We already have Lowe and Evans who do the same job, Williamson might do it marginally better than both but with his age considered I would not be offering him a further extension.

Chris Taylor however is a good utility player, whilst Kilgallon still has at least another year left in him at this level. I doubt we'd get in better on a free, anyway.

I would offer Chris Taylor a new deal as he can play in 3 different positions but defo wouldn't offer Williamson a new deal

Undecided on Willo as he does a certain type of job we have no one else to do but I'd be looking to totally revamp midfield but I can see it being just the same next season with the same faces being swapped about. It needs freshening up.

Agree on Taylor, no world beater but handy to have about and offers more than some others. Only if he's cheap though !

Who Kean or Hoilett's Dad?

Ha ha... Kean spoke S@@@ Hoiletts dad spoke French

Undecided on Willo as he does a certain type of job we have no one else to do but I'd be looking to totally revamp midfield but I can see it being just the same next season with the same faces being swapped about. It needs freshening up.

Agree on Taylor, no world beater but handy to have about and offers more than some others. Only if he's cheap though !

TBH I'd offer all 3 a deal as with FFP it may be as good we get.FFP everyone's buzz word of an excuse at the moment . Willo no world beater but can get stuck IAH did well 2nd part of the season

Kilgallon certainly deserves a new deal and King has potential so understand the logic in offering them a new deal. Chris Taylor I am slightly unsure of as he isn't brilliant but he's a useful and versatile squad player. As for Willo, he is a symptom of what is blatantly wrong with this Rovers squad. Slow, runs (well, tries to) around rarely putting in a meaningful tackle, not very tidy on the ball for the most part and has a fear of stepping over the halfway line. As someone pointed out, we have Evans and Lowe who can do just that and are much younger. I would be surprised if we couldn't bring in a free transfer or a young loan signing who could at least do the same as what Willo does. Experienced or not, he's simply not good enough.

We need to stop rewarding mediocrity.

• Moderation Lead

Williamson is nowhere near as bad as some make out, but due to his age, I wouldn't give him a new contract for that reason alone.

Williamson is nowhere near as bad as some make out, but due to his age, I wouldn't give him a new contract for that reason alone.

Think Williamson is a good character, but in my opinion how slow he is makes him a complete liability - it's not just a lack of pace, his passing and tackling too often seem off the pace. .

He comes up with the occasional eye catching moment, and isn't afraid to get stuck in, but I really hope he doesn't get another deal.

Centre mid needs improving. We cant have to many in the squad, so if one or 2 are to come into the squad in that position, then 1 or 2 probably need to leave.

Unless we get offers for our others who are under contract then it makes sense to simply let willo go.

Not sure about the deals for Willo and Taylor. Williamson has done decently, but has been very hot and cold - either good or abysmal, as well as struggling in a 4 man midfield due to his lack of pace. Taylor likewise has been good and bad. Neither are consistent enough imo.

In an ideal world as a Championship club aspiring for promotion we should be looking for better. Even with FFP and with money being tight I've reservations about giving both guys new contracts. I think the money could be spent better on other players.

However on reflection I'd probably give Williamson a 1 year deal as with Spearing gone and Evans being useless we're a bit light on cms. Taylor is mainly a wide player, so I would save a wage there for a position we need more cover in.

Pleased that we are offering Williamson another twelve months. For me he has been our most competitive midfielder this season and is our best defensive midfield player.

This is very much a worry, as his limitations are there for all to see. Technique-wise he can't really find a decent quick cross field switch, and I think he's more clumsy than competitive. I agree with you though that he's the best of a sorry bunch.

His dad is Jamaican isn't he?

Originally from ocho rios but grew up in French speaking Ontario..

Juniors family were sat behind me at the game few years back and took awhile to get my head around the party has some were speaking a version of French some German and some girls what I originally thought was an American accent but was most likely Canadian..

Pleased that we are offering Williamson another twelve months. For me he has been our most competitive midfielder this season and he offers experience in the middle of the park and is our best defensive midfield player.

Strongly disagree with this. Pay as you play at best.

Posts about Wiliamson need to be in the past tense unfortunately. I predict injury and further signs of ageing. Like Dunny last season, it's one contract too far. He's taking up the place of a midfielder that we really need.

Seems as though our (football) transfer 'policy' this Summer is going to be about signing on players already with us - unless they are wanted by another club for a fee, that is.

Williamson signing for one more year is okay I think. Our best over the season, and had some great games including both Liverpool matches. Also some abject ones but he always tries which can't be said for the rest.

However he needs to be on the bench, not starting. We need someone who can cover the yards in the centre, tackle and pass a ball. If we can't find that then the season is over before it begins.

Archived