BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hull City (A) Saturday 26Th September 3Pm, Kc Stadium

K-Hod

• Moderation Lead

So, after a much needed and morale boosting victory against Charlton Athletic, Rovers go on the road at the weekend to the KC Stadium to face Hull City. The recently relegated side currently lie third in the league, having drawn last time out against QPR at home.

Our hosts will be pleased with their start to the season so far, as a relegated team they will no doubt have aims to bounce back to the Premier League at the first attempt.

Plus, it will be a welcome distraction for the club to be in the news for reasons on the field and not about a potential name change, or about Jake Livermore and the outcome of his failed drugs test (a penny for Adrian Mutu’s thoughts on that ruling!). On the former, the #saynotohulltigers campaign gathered quite a bit of momentum on social media, and the FSF (Football Supporters Federation) lobbied on their behalf, gathering widespread support from the football community. It appeared that their owner has ‘spat his dummy out’ and threatened to withdraw funding from the club and put them up for sale if he wasn’t allowed to go through with the name change. Charming! Though he hasn’t been true to his word YET, he may well appeal this decision to reject the name change once more.

I’ve visited the KC Stadium once before, when Rovers drew 0-0, I think this was in 2009, but I can’t be certain! In any case, I quite liked the stadium, but not so much the journey. I’d recently passed my driving test at the time of the game so volunteered myself to ‘take one for the team’ and drive myself and a couple of mates to the game. Hull was further away than I thought, but it’s easy enough to find, by essentially heading across The Pennines to Leeds, and then ‘South for a bit’. I managed to find the ground in good time, and had time to put an accumulator on so this was a result! (Even if Rovers didn’t leave South Humberside with one!) In the same vein as most of his Rovers career, Nikola Kalinic missed a simple chance late on, which is my overriding memory of the day.

Well, as well as my monumental disappointment at the concourse staff serving me the wrong pie! To elaborate on that, at half-time, I went to the bar in need of a bite to eat and asked for a chicken BALTI pie. I was served, I paid up, then left the bar with my pie in hand. In my haste I hadn't checked the wrapper, I then removed it, expecting to taste the usual delightful chicken, Balti and pastry combination I had grown so fond of from years of football matches. Sadly, it appeared that the Hull bar staff had misunderstood me, and served me a chicken and mushroom pie. Now, anybody that knows me, knows that I love my food, but mushrooms are one of the only foods I vehemently dislike. Upon biting into the pie, I knew immediately there was something wrong, instead of the wonderful array of flavours I described earlier making contact with my taste buds, my long term adversary and fungal foe had turned up uninvited and was making its presence felt in my mouth. The rubbery texture I had taken plenty of steps to avoid over the years was prevalent in my mouth and I couldn’t escape that horrible sensation.

There was absolutely no possibility of a return and the bar was still quite busy, so I decided to ‘suck it up’ and deal with a rumbling stomach for at least the next 3 hours! The end result of this was having to dispatch the pie into the nearest bin, rather than into my mouth, my disappointment must have been palpable, but I had to remain strong, I had a second half and following that a (roughly) 2 hour drive to get home still to come!

Anyway, enough about fine dining, this is a football forum!

Our hosts this weekend were formed in 1904. This had followed many years of trying to get the idea of a local football club off the ground, which had been difficult, owing to the popularity of rugby league in the area. Indeed, Hull has 2 Rugby League teams: Hull KR (Kingston Rovers), and the confusingly named Hull FC. City are currently in their fourth home in their history. The club started out at ‘The Boulevard’ when this was not being used for Rugby League, at a cost of £100 per year! In 1906, the club built their own ground ‘Anlaby Road’ where the club stayed for the next 23 years.

There had been a constant threat of the rerouting of the local railway line through the ground, so the club elected to move once more and negotiated a deal for some land between Boothferry Road and North Road in 1929. This move was financed by a £3,000 loan by the FA! (Can you imagine that happening today?!). Unfortunately, the club ran into financial difficulty, so no work actually took place for three years, and development then stopped until 1939. Later that year, there was a proposal for a multi-sports facility on the same site, which temporarily delayed the club’s plans to relocate, but once this plan failed, the club continued with their plans to move into the new site the following year. But, the outbreak of World War 2, meant this redevelopment was halted once again, and the stadium taken over by the Home Guard.

In the midst of the Second World War, the club’s Anlaby Road home they were desperate to leave, was severely damaged by enemy bombing, and repairs were set to cost around £1,000. The cricket club which was groundsharing with the club served their notice to quit at the same time as City, and in 1943 their tenancy was officially ended. The club were forced to return to their initial home of The Boulevard between 1944 and 1945 because of the poor condition of the stadium at Boothferry Road.

By the end of August 1946, the Boothferry Road Stadium was opened, under the revised name of Boothferry Park. The club remained there until 2002, when themselves and the confusingly named Rugby League team Hull FC moved into the club’s current home, the KC Stadium. The stadium was named ‘Best Ground’ at the 2006 Football League awards.

In more recent times, Hull have been one of the proverbial ‘yo-yo clubs’ going between the Premier League and Championship on a couple of occasions. They had a meteoric rise through the divisions between 2003 and 2008, indeed this ascent through the divisions is the third fastest ever. Their current squad for the most part still has the nucleus of the squad which was relegated from the Premier League last season, and contained within are some good players for this level which Rovers should be wary of.

As much as I always try to have a positive outlook (in life, not just in football), sadly I can’t see beyond a home win for this one, so I reckon it will end

Hull 2 Rovers 0. :(

Here’s hoping the lads will prove me wrong! COYB. :rover:

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hoping to make this one as my first away match this season. Hull to me always evokes memories of a freezing cold, wet mist covered sparsely populated Boothferry park. Had a few memorable trips there back in the day, we always seemed to play them on a midweek night but we always took a few across. One of the only clubs that got smaller crowds than us, times have changed somewhat although they seem to have 'misplaced' about 10k fans since their relegation :blink:

Go about it the right way as we've been doing recently and feed off the belief instead of reverting to type and we can get something. We need wins but realistically a draw is an ok result here but let's set up to win it. Same starting team as Saturday please.

Hull 1 Rovers 1 (Rhodes again, 600 Rovers in attendance)

Was that the hull game that I went to and ended up sat next to you despite not actually being aware you where going? Think I went twice, seem to remember Vince Grella......

Anyway, won't be going down the m62 this year. A point will suffice, however if this surge to promotion I've been dreaming about is going to happen- a rhodes brace on his 150th appearance (I think) and 80th goal (I double think) would be sweet.

I'd like to see another clean sheet personally.

• Moderation Lead

Was that the hull game that I went to and ended up sat next to you despite not actually being aware you where going? Think I went twice, seem to remember Vince Grella......

Anyway, won't be going down the m62 this year. A point will suffice, however if this surge to promotion I've been dreaming about is going to happen- a rhodes brace on his 150th appearance (I think) and 80th goal (I double think) would be sweet.

I'd like to see another clean sheet personally.

Yep, that's the one Joe! :lol:

Pretty straightforward this one- same team, same tactics, after a solid week of defensive organisation.

I know Hull are a good side but there is no point trying to change to a 451 or whatever because weve done it and been @#/? at it. Stick with whats (finally) worked.

Akpan and Lawrence to get on from the hour markish.

I'd say another score draw is likely.

No reason why we can't win this providing the mindset is right.

We have the players to create the chances and Rhodes looks like he could well be on one of those runs.

If Bowyer develops 'Dycheitis' this week (settled side and a huge dose of positivity), I expect us to run out 3-1 winners.

If Lowe and Spurr return, we will go down by 2 to 4 goals.

Hull holds a very special place in my heart. It was where I heard for the very first time exactly how loud Preston Blue actually is.

7-0 to Hull with their goal scorers being

Raich Carter, Chris Chilton, Ken Wagstaff, Ken Houghton, Tony Norman, Brian Horton and Dean Windass

Bowyer cannot justify bringing either of those 2 back in the starting.

He must stick with the same 11 as last time, if possible.

He'll do what he did with Olsson this season and scapegoat two players at the drop of a hat to bring his favourites back into the fold.

• Backroom

Just been and bought my tickets for this game, I'm feeling surprisingly optimistic.

I would go the same starting 11 as the weekend - maybe bring Lawrence in for Koita.

If Spurr comes back in I'll be livid.

3 - 1 Rovers, Rhodes (2) Hanley

I hope it isn't false optimism I am feeling, but I felt the same before the Charlton game. It feels like we have turned the corner. I am going for a 1-0 Rovers win and don't care who scores. If we can get 3 points there and crack on, this season could yet turn out ok.

Same eleven as Saturday to start with.

Koita to "soften em up" and put himself about a bit opening spaces for Jordan then as on Saturday,replace him with Lawrence to actually run and take tired players on in and around the box.

Lets not go to try and nick a draw....

Consistency with team selection is absolutely key to doing well in this division - it's been proved time and time again. I doubt 'Lowey' will be fit anyway, but Spurr will be you would assume. Let's hope that some lessons have finally been learnt and that Olsson will remain in the side.

If we go with the same side as Saturday then I think we can grab a draw or even all three points. Introduce Lawrence around 60 mins for Koita to exploit their tiring defence.

Need to win the next two games to turn any corners, we have started so badly that we need 9pts from 3 games... We have 3pts so far but need another 6 to begin our catch up!

Come on Rovers 3 more points against Hull and same again against Ipswich.

Here's hoping our injury crisis forces an unchanged side to be selected....

On the basis we have the same starting XI I am finally feeling optimistic about a Rovers game this season. Steve Bruce probably has even fewer brain cells than Gary Bowyer so our managerial disadvantage should not matter in this one.

No reason why the fine form since 30 minutes into the Fulham match shouldn't continue and if we play in the same vein, only a wonky defence stands between Rovers and three chicken lickin' points at KFC...

Always enjoyed visits to Boothferry Park- I think my record there between 1974 and us getting into the Premier League was something like 4 wins and just 1 defeat. :rover:

Always enjoyed visits to Boothferry Park- I think my record there between 1974 and us getting into the Premier League was something like 4 wins and just 1 defeat. :rover:

I always remember going to Hull circa 1977, we'd stayed over in digs the night before the game. We were somewhere in the city, got on a bus to take us either into the city or to the ground and you were sat upstairs Phil. Do you remember that? Can't remember the score but do remember that I was with Exiled in Toronto!

Archived