BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer 2016. Who Stays? Who Goes? You Decide!

Amo

We have a pro Squad of 30 on the books which is far too big. I would sign up the loanees Gomez, Graham and Watt and have a big clear out.

Current Squad from Wikipedia.

No.

Position Player

2 Wales DF Adam Henley

3 England DF Tommy Spurr

4 England DF Matthew Kilgallon (vice-captain)

5 Scotland DF Grant Hanley (captain)[45]

6 England MF Jason Lowe

7 England FW Nathan Delfouneso

8 Scotland FW Tony Watt (on loan from Charlton Athletic)

9 England FW Chris Brown

10 England MF Ben Marshall

12 England FW Danny Graham (on loan from Sunderland)

13 England GK Simon Eastwood

14 Spain MF Jordi Gómez (on loan from Sunderland)

15 England DF Elliott Ward

16 England MF Matt Grimes (on loan from Swansea City)

17 Jamaica MF Lee Williamson

No.

Position Player

19 England MF Chris Taylor

21 Nigeria MF Hope Akpan

22 Ireland DF Shane Duffy

23 England MF Danny Guthrie

24 Namibia DF Ryan Nyambe

26 Ireland MF Darragh Lenihan

27 England MF Willem Tomlinson

28 England MF Connor Mahoney

29 North Ireland MF Corry Evans

30 England GK Jason Steele

31 Jamaica MF Elliott Bennett

32 Scotland MF Craig Conway

33 Spain GK David Raya

34 England DF Scott Wharton

35 Canada FW Simeon Jackson

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have a pro Squad of 30 on the books which is far too big. I would sign up the loanees Gomez, Graham and Watt and have a big clear out.

Current Squad from Wikipedia.

No.

Position Player

2 Wales DF Adam Henley

3 England DF Tommy Spurr

4 England DF Matthew Kilgallon (vice-captain)

5 Scotland DF Grant Hanley (captain)[45]

6 England MF Jason Lowe

7 England FW Nathan Delfouneso

8 Scotland FW Tony Watt (on loan from Charlton Athletic)

9 England FW Chris Brown

10 England MF Ben Marshall

12 England FW Danny Graham (on loan from Sunderland)

13 England GK Simon Eastwood

14 Spain MF Jordi Gómez (on loan from Sunderland)

15 England DF Elliott Ward

16 England MF Matt Grimes (on loan from Swansea City)

17 Jamaica MF Lee Williamson

No.

Position Player

19 England MF Chris Taylor

21 Nigeria MF Hope Akpan

22 Ireland DF Shane Duffy

23 England MF Danny Guthrie

24 Namibia DF Ryan Nyambe

26 Ireland MF Darragh Lenihan

27 England MF Willem Tomlinson

28 England MF Connor Mahoney

29 North Ireland MF Corry Evans

30 England GK Jason Steele

31 Jamaica MF Elliott Bennett

32 Scotland MF Craig Conway

33 Spain GK David Raya

34 England DF Scott Wharton

35 Canada FW Simeon Jackson

Your missing players out on loan, like O'Sullivan and Jordan Preston too.

I know theres a few kids in there, but there aint half some deadwood in that list too.

Your missing players out on loan, like O'Sullivan and Jordan Preston too.

I know theres a few kids in there, but there aint half some deadwood in that list too.

12 players either on loan or out of contract at the end of the season. So maybe the clear out will happen naturally!

I might do a volte-face with Spurr, if the wage bill allows, and keep him as back-up. I thought that we could rely on Henley to cover the full-back roles, but he's looked out of his depth when called upon and needs loaning out or something. Still need to find a LB better suited to Lambert's tactics.

I'll be honest I'm not that bothered about Gomez having seen another non contribution from him today. Doesn't help with the way we tend to play as he needs it on the deck but maybe we should be looking for free kicks around the box a bit more to try and utilise his ability that's lost in open play.

Over the course of a season though will he justify the wages he's likely to want never mind paying a fee. A robust team when playing well can carry a passenger but days like today you have to be looking for him to do something but he's far to half hearted. For me the money could be better used elsewhere and I don't think his heart is in it here. You can tell the likes of Graham etc are playing to earn full contracts at Rovers, certainly don't get that impression from Gomez.

• Moderation Lead

I've got the same vibe about Gomez in the last few games after a really good start from him. I think Grimes could potentially be more effective in that position...

Agree and the way he slopes off the pitch and doesn't interact with the crowd makes it look like he's not that bothered. I think at first he was just happy to be getting games but I don't think he's keen on the way we play.

Let's not be getting bipolar guys. Gomez is a class above but there are just some games which will not suit his style. Tough, physical, dare I say dirty, teams like Leeds is one of those games.

I though my the ref was poor today again too. Too often giving the 50/50s to them and not consistent in giving fouls to both teams. Much like the West Ham game it seems that some referees are very much swayed by the size of the away crowd.

• Backroom

Let's not be getting bipolar guys. Gomez is a class above but there are just some games which will not suit his style. Tough, physical, dare I say dirty, teams like Leeds is one of those games.

I though my the ref was poor today again too. Too often giving the 50/50s to them and not consistent in giving fouls to both teams. Much like the West Ham game it seems that some referees are very much swayed by the size of the away crowd.

I must confess that I'm getting a little disappointed with him. Coming from the Prem, I've been expecting his technique to be complemented by a certain 'hardness' that came with the likes of Tugay or Dunn. Maybe I'm expecting too much having been spoilt.

Then again, he may just need to get up to speed like others. I don't dislike him, and still want him to sign, but he comes across as a bit wimpy when the going gets tough. Hell, even Cairney was willing to put his foot in on occasion (albeit poorly).

He is class on the ball in time and space when he's up for it but there's been a lack of effort recently for me and no excuse for that.

On the ref issue it's another good reason to stick away fans in the upper tier first. People at our club though are too thick or pig ignorant to get to grips with it. If Lambert wants to influence getting all home fans behind one goal he should be the away fan issue as well.

I can't think of many in this league who have the option of two tiers who don't stick visitors in the upper.

He is class on the ball in time and space when he's up for it but there's been a lack of effort recently for me and no excuse for that.

On the ref issue it's another good reason to stick away fans in the upper tier first. People at our club though are too thick or pig ignorant to get to grips with it. If Lambert wants to influence getting all home fans behind one goal he should be the away fan issue as well.

I can't think of many in this league who have the option of two tiers who don't stick visitors in the upper.

C'mon TP, Jordi isn't going to become the new Jordan, is he? I'm not sure I have the will.

Rovers fans seem to have a serious problem with having to find faults with their most quality players and traits to defend with the poorest ones. "Work rate" seems to be the great leveller. Personally I prefer "effectiveness". The manager's job is to pick the most effective players. Maybe PL got it wrong today - or maybe it was just a bad day at the office. On the match thread, Bennett is getting similar treatment despite a MoM performance today.

I can only assume that people think we won't be able to sign Gomez and are prepping themselves to be able to say "he's crap anyway" when the time comes.

Just calling it as I see it and the real question you have to ask is will he be worth spending money on a fee and big wages. I'm all for having a touch of class in the team we've been begging for it for years but does he fit in to the way we'll be playing every game next season. Jury's out.

I do know though that his non performance today had no real baring on the result so he can't be tarred with the old Rhodes brush.

Gomez has been poor in the last 3 games But he is far from crap. maybe the run of games we had recently has caught up with his fitness wise.

Graham is a must sign and I fully expect to do so.

Watt will be signed.

We still need left back with pace.

need a box to box midfielder who can score goals like Jeff Hendrick from Derby

I thought he was bobbins against the dingles. But it didn't help that Joey Barton did a job on him and we didn't / don't move the ball quickly enough. Can't say I'm necessarily fussed if we sign him or another of similar ilk. But whoever the creative type is that we bring in, we have to be prepared that they'll have their quiet times. These show pony types are just made that way. If Gomez was capable of top drawer performance every week we wouldn't have a sniff anyway. More important is having an option to replace him from the bench on his off days.

12 players either on loan or out of contract at the end of the season. So maybe the clear out will happen naturally!

I think we can relax about this. Lambert said in his post-match comments that his players were suffering from fatigue after so many games in such a short time. He specifically says we are relying on "the same players".

So, we have 30 or so, but he only plays the ones who, in his opinion, are any good.

No question that the deadwood will be moved on in summer and that the long break will be massive for us.

Up to Venkys at that point, its make or break.

• Backroom

For what you expect to be a promotion push? Crazy.

We know you would moan if we signed Zico in his heyday though! 90% of your posts are complaining about how bad someone or something is.

The lads done well since he's come in, causes defenders problems.

He would be behind Graham, Watt and others but I would certainly be offering him a deal and hope he gets one.

• Backroom

Fair enough - we have a lot of players to bring in this summer I just think as a 4th choice we could do worse.

If we offer the likes of Taylor deals that's another matter though!

I imagine he will train with us and a decision may be made late like with Taylor before.

On the general topic for me I would let Raya out on loan.

A new left back and let Spurr go or keep on a very cheap deal.

Let Henley go if anyone wants him and bring in a new right back.

Keep the central defence as is but let Killgallon leave/

Guthrie and Williamson can go, along with Taylor in midfield.

Brown and Delfounso can also find new homes elsewhere.

Need:

New first choice keeper

First choice left back

Right back

Gomez or similar ball playing midfielder

Winger preferably left

Striker

Archived