BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Boycott

Bottom line is that I have supported the club since being a little lad and now I'm in my sixties. Blackburn Rovers has been a huge part of my life and I won't walk away. I fully respect the views of those who think differently, but I go to games with friends and we still enjoy the football and the social side of things. There are tough times ahead, of course there are, but I was brought up to believe that you stick with things through the difficult times and heaven knows we have had some tough times in the past. I know that isn't a view that is held by everyone but it's the view I hold and that's why I will continue attending. With or without Venky's the club's survival is the only thing that interests me. I have no problem with Coyle being an ex-Burnley manager, heaven knows I've cheered on enough ex-Burnley players who have joined the Rovers in the past and whilst I have my doubts about him - based on what happened after leaving the Turf - I'm happy to give him a chance and support him in the same way I did all managers except one. I don't expect to see the club challenging at the top end of the table, but it won't be the first time that I have gone into a season knowing that staying in the division would be an achievement. I'm hoping to see the further development of younger players in the Under-21's this season and that is a plus point.

I respect your reply. We're not so different, (Coyle views aside).

I'd love the share your enthusiasm and positive ethos.

There are several issues and insults that I just can't accept and forgive.

Pains me to stay away.

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps but you would no longer visit them and expect to get the same experience that you used to get. It would be out of duty or a sense of love. With dementia there is no hope of recovery, it's degenerative but with Rovers there is a potential way back but it requires removal of Venkys.

It's more like visiting a relative who is hooked on drugs and won't help themselves, and want to bring you down with them. People have different levels of patience but ultimately when the love disappears, the sense of duty does too.

You would never turn your back on a family member. Rovers are as good as family. Second longest relationship in my life after my old man.

You would never turn your back on a family member. Rovers are as good as family. Second longest relationship in my life after my old man.

I'm pleased for you that you have never reached that point.

In some cases turning your back is what they need, and what you need. With addiction there is often no cure and no hope for salvation or recovery.

In any case, it's a metaphor. A football club is not the same as a family member. For every "biggest fan", Venkys see "best customer". That's the difference between the old and new Rovers.

Actually, I don't believe we will get to that stage arbitro. I'm not saying there won't be further cut backs, I suspect there will, be we are some way off what happened to Portsmouth. At some point Venky's will look to get out and at the moment the club's infrastructure at Ewood and Brockhall are going to be the main things which might attract a buyer to offer something close to what Venky's may want.

Is the academy safe for now because the agent(s) have their clients in the youths ?

They've created the losses lets not try and pretend any different it's all down to them and they alone should write that off end of. Either then do one or start afresh and run it properly with a sensible yearly budget.

It's of their making and their associates so why should the club and everyone else suffer, in this world you pay for mistakes/crimes. With the money they are so called worth they could end this madness in ten mins flat with one press of a key.

Half the clubs in this league lose money year on year and need outside funding just to exist and go nowhere, that's the game they got themselves into.

Enough of the veiled praise, oh and why does everyone from Australia seem to make excuses up for them ?

Wrong ! :) Don't tar us all as licking the Venky's XPRS drumstick

• Backroom

The drug analogy is another good analogy Stuart. My main point was just to highlight that I think RoverShaun (I think, sorry if it wasn't) is wrong to suggest it is an easy or logical decision. For me, Rovers are my longest love after my family, with the added tie that it's something I do with my dad (which we've spoken about before).

My main point was simply that's emotional and difficult (even for those who've decided it is time to boycott) rather than easy or logical. To my mind, I get as much enjoyment out of a matchday at Rovers as I did at 5 and at 15. Yes, all the @#/? in the background sours it away from the ground, but I forget most of that at Ewood.

They've created the losses lets not try and pretend any different it's all down to them and they alone should write that off end of. Either then do one or start afresh and run it properly with a sensible yearly budget.

It's of their making and their associates so why should the club and everyone else suffer, in this world you pay for mistakes/crimes. With the money they are so called worth they could end this madness in ten mins flat with one press of a key.

Half the clubs in this league lose money year on year and need outside funding just to exist and go nowhere, that's the game they got themselves into.

Enough of the veiled praise, oh and why does everyone from Australia seem to make excuses up for them ?

Oh! that post didn't come out well! It was meant to be a lament at the debt Venkys have landed us with and a comment on the madness of it all. No veiled praise I assure you.

The drug analogy is another good analogy Stuart. My main point was just to highlight that I think RoverShaun (I think, sorry if it wasn't) is wrong to suggest it is an easy or logical decision. For me, Rovers are my longest love after my family, with the added tie that it's something I do with my dad (which we've spoken about before).

My main point was simply that's emotional and difficult (even for those who've decided it is time to boycott) rather than easy or logical. To my mind, I get as much enjoyment out of a matchday at Rovers as I did at 5 and at 15. Yes, all the @#/? in the background sours it away from the ground, but I forget most of that at Ewood.

The latter part of this is what I don't get. How can you get as much excitement out of watching the dross on display nowadays as you did earlier. It's impossible to ignore the stuff off the field because the evidence is there in the stuff on the field. I'm not having a go because I understand the family stuff that means you keep going and I understand the emotional ties, but what I don't get us that you say the when you're there its the same as it always has been.

The latter part of this is what I don't get. How can you get as much excitement out of watching the dross on display nowadays as you did earlier. It's impossible to ignore the stuff off the field because the evidence is there in the stuff on the field. I'm not having a go because I understand the family stuff that means you keep going and I understand the emotional ties, but what I don't get us that you say the when you're there its the same as it always has been.

The matchday experience really is nothing like it was 10 years ago.

There is a distinct lack of any quality on the pitch and there is barely any atmosphere whatsoever in the stands.

People still stand and clap when a goal is scored but that's about it. Often we concede first - usually through a ridiculous mistake - and the atmosphere drops further. Not through what used to be a frustrated reaction but what is now just a shrug "same old same old".

• Backroom

A little nostalgia, mixed with familiar faces and blinkered (not quite blind) faith that the rot can turn itself round somehow, I suppose.

Ofc the quality isn't the same, as you say, but I just still have that buzz when I walk up the steps to my seat. I just haven't hit my 'last straw' yet.

The matchday experience really is nothing like it was 10 years ago.

There is a distinct lack of any quality on the pitch and there is barely any atmosphere whatsoever in the stands.

People still stand and clap when a goal is scored but that's about it. Often we concede first - usually through a ridiculous mistake - and the atmosphere drops further. Not through what used to be a frustrated reaction but what is now just a shrug "same old same old".

As my Rovers mates say it really is "Deadwood".

The drug analogy is another good analogy Stuart. My main point was just to highlight that I think RoverShaun (I think, sorry if it wasn't) is wrong to suggest it is an easy or logical decision.

In spite of the poor analogies ;) it was an easy decision..........for me. Hence I said it. ;)

A little nostalgia, mixed with familiar faces and blinkered (not quite blind) faith that the rot can turn itself round somehow, I suppose.

Ofc the quality isn't the same, as you say, but I just still have that buzz when I walk up the steps to my seat. I just haven't hit my 'last straw' yet.

That's exactly the point for many of us who still enjoy doing what we have done all our lives. That 'buzz' is something that Venky's can't take away from me.

Misty-eyed nonsense from people who don't have the backbone to make a stand. If you enjoy the status quo you're a Venky enabler.

Says the man who couldn't find his way to Ewood Park in the good times. Do you think that your trolling is going to influence anyone?

Wrong ! :) Don't tar us all as licking the Venky's XPRS drumstick

I was beginning to think former SEM Australia branch were at play :lol: Yourself excluded of course !

Oh! that post didn't come out well! It was meant to be a lament at the debt Venkys have landed us with and a comment on the madness of it all. No veiled praise I assure you.

No worries, probably a bit of a harsh reply from me but that's the way it rolls these days sadly :rover:

Don't know how anyone can have the same buzz as they did during the really good days, when the fact is the owners are deliberately running us into the ground. They don't have to do this you know! How can anyone, who's heart is in the club, just ignore this, accept it and continue clapping and jumping for joy?

Of course nobody agrees with the way the club is run at present. But ultimately, I still enjoy watching my club play football and that is what it is all about for me. Look at what Portsmouth endured - far worse than what has happened here - and yet their fans stuck with it and have come through the other side and are able to think about rebuilding. We are not the first club to have shocking owners and we certainly won't be the last. The support may well be down to levels of 8,000 or so, but ultimately it's about the club surviving and retaining as much of it's present infrastructure as possible to ensure the club can rebuild under new owners. And no Abbey, it's not Venky FC it's still Blackburn Rovers F.C. and long may it continue to be.

For me Portsmouth was a totally different scenario - they gambled and lost

Rovers were established and bobbing along quite nicely in some respect then got infected

As you say though nobody agrees with the way the club is run at present - and agree with a lot of what you post and not just above , but I say again on the back of this its up to yourself and those who still wish/have to attend for whatever reason to do something about it

A stance has to be made as things will not improve on or off the field despite any hopes you or any other fan has.

Archived