BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Article -> New Rovers Manager

What's the difference between a fan and a supporter? - A supporter supports the club financially.

The bottom line is - if you're buying the product, you're supporting the owners. I mean that's just a fact. We all know what's happening at the club, but you can't say "I'm paying money to them, but I don't support them". All that says to me is as upset as we are, we're not prepared to make the ultimate stance. AND I INCLUDE MYSELF HERE, so it's nothing personal against anyone.

Whatever else you may say about the owners they are propping up the Club financially so if my £300 means they "only" lose £14, 999,700 next season as opposed to £15m I don't personally see that as supporting them to any significant extent.

Is it the money aspect or would you be ok with people going if they made it free to get in?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the difference between a fan and a supporter? - A supporter supports the club financially.

The bottom line is - if you're buying the product, you're supporting the owners. I mean that's just a fact. We all know what's happening at the club, but you can't say "I'm paying money to them, but I don't support them". All that says to me is as upset as we are, we're not prepared to make the ultimate stance. AND I INCLUDE MYSELF HERE, so it's nothing personal against anyone.

The bottom line is correct but I'd almost be as ignorant as Venkys if I treat football clubs and tickets as any "general" product.

I never bought tickets back in the day to support the walkers, or even Hughes etc. It's always the club as a whole.

I think it's a fine line between insults when saying that those who still want to go are "accepting" or "supporting" the ownership.

Whatever else you may say about the owners they are propping up the Club financially so if my £300 means they "only" lose £14, 999,700 next season as opposed to £15m I don't personally see that as supporting them to any significant extent.

Is it the money aspect or would you be ok with people going if they made it free to get in?

I'm OK with people going anyway Rev, but let's understand that when we do, we are supporting them. That's how the owners will take it as well.

This is the awfulness I have had to accept, myself. I think Venky's are taking the p***!

Venky's have created this situation, where I cannot buy something from the club shop or pay to watch a home game without feeling I am supporting them i.e.the owners.

I am sure I will watch the occasional game, but they are not having my money up front for a season ticket.Also, I'll allow myself to watch away games in London with my kids.

This is just my own personal choice about how to handle things and I wouldn't dream of dismissing another supporter, who made a different choice. I admit I would like us to agree a collective boycott of selected game(s) ...but I accept that not everyone would sign up...

S/T holder from 1982 to last season. Had I still been resident in the UK I would have had to think long and hard about renewing, but as in the past when I've wavered I've still ended up buying a season ticket and probably would have done again. To be honest since Venky's took over 'Rovers apathy' has set in a little and it started to become less about the football and more about the social side of things for me - because I moved away from Blackburn in 2012 and would travel back for games, it was a chance to have a catch up with mates. Not much about the last 5/6 years has been enjoyable from a football perspective. I'm kind of glad that I've moved even further away now (Texas) so that I no longer have a decision to make, but still follow the club and this board from afar (even if the apathy means I no longer post as much as I used to). In the absence of decent football over here, I've started to go to baseball games (Go Rangers!) which maybe because I'm not as emotionally invested as I am with Rovers have been a much more enjoyable experience than watching your beloved football club slowly die a death of a thousand cuts. Plus they're not bad, and you can drink beer in your seat :tu:

It's up to the individual to do what they think is right; I'm sure there will be many who renew and continue attending games that are as equally pee'd off and angry about the whole situation as those who choose to stay away.

Amazing reading the comments on the LT, they almost seem to be revelling in the fact that we've no cash, that FFP is great, that Lambert 'wasted the Rhodes money' :wacko:, that Coyle is a 'refreshing change'.

Certainly the yin to brfcs.com's yang.

Back at work this morning after the half term break.

First person to approach (Rovers fan): so what do you think to Coyle then?

Me: Not impressed - not sure they could have selected a worse manager really, from a fan perspective

Him: yeah, they could... [pauses for dramatic effect, and gives knowing look that I'm supposed to 'get']... Lambert

:wacko:

This fella doesn't have a season ticket and doesn't generally attend games because of other things on. Well, unless he gets a free ticket. But puts a lot of stock in the LT (online, of course) and the comments sections.

Well said, some just can't bring themselves to accept it. As discussed on the boycott thread, there are other reasons for those who choose to attend but that aside...

I'm not sure how my renewal is helping them financially because the club is in an ever increasing debt situation but irrespective of that I'll renew as long as I can afford to do so. If people see that as supporting the owners then so be it. Ultimately, supporting the Rovers is a choice you make as to how to spend your leisure time. I go to all the games, home and away and the Under-21's, simply because I enjoy watching the Rovers, I enjoy the company of friends and supporting the Rovers is something we have done all our lives. We have supported the club through tough times before and no matter how bad it gets we nonetheless enjoy it. The camaraderie, the gallows humour, the travelling up and down the country, its part of who we are as individuals. We've seen good times and we've seen bad times and hopefully at some point in the future we will see good times again. I would never tell anyone not to boycott because that is an individual choice and at the end of the day I respect the choices that people make.

You can't lecture people on how boycotting is damaging to the club, whilst supporting pitch invasions.

I'm sure this point isn't lost on you and you're just being disingenuous on purpose.

Pitch invasions and proper protests forced regime change 40 years ago. Why would they damage the club now ?

I'm OK with people going anyway Rev, but let's understand that when we do, we are supporting them. That's how the owners will take it as well.

Don't agree with this at all. I attend matches to support the team and the entrance fee as the price of entry to the ground for 90 minutes entertainment (hopefully). The money Venky's receive from the gate is a pittance compared to outgoings so I very much doubt they look at attendances each week to see how much we are "supporting" them.

Pitch invasions and proper protests forced regime change 40 years ago. Why would they damage the club now ?

I don't think they would damage the club. But I also don't think they would force Venkys to do anything. They are so far removed they can just ignore any and all protests.

Given the heavy police and steward presence whenever there is any unrest or talk of unrest, you'd have to think that the club is also likely to clamp down on any such invasions.

I'm the face of there being no prospect of affecting change people are walking away in droves.

They are propping up the flaming mess they have created and continue to create. I have said many times that I have no problem with people going but some are using the loyalty card as a badge of honour, almost martyr like.

Don't agree with this at all. I attend matches to support the team and the entrance fee as the price of entry to the ground for 90 minutes entertainment (hopefully). The money Venky's receive from the gate is a pittance compared to outgoings so I very much doubt they look at attendances each week to see how much we are "supporting" them.

Doesn't matter what the cost of a ticket is Jim, if you or me are giving them money, were supporting them. As much as people don't want to admit it, that's what they're doing.

Doesn't matter what the cost of a ticket is Jim, if you or me are giving them money, were supporting them. As much as people don't want to admit it, that's what they're doing.

Not how I see it Den. If you could suggest another way of watching Rovers live without paying money to someone I'd love to hear it.

• Backroom

Not how I see it Den. If you could suggest another way of watching Rovers live without paying money to someone I'd love to hear it.

Isn't that his point? The only way to watch rovers is to give the club (Venkys by proxy) money, ergo financially supporting Venkys however small the amount.

Fines, points deductions, possible fan arrests and banning orders. Need I go on?

For the record, I don't disapprove of pitch invasions. Desperate times call for desperate measures n' all that. That isn't the debate here.

Let me repeat this one more time, as you're hard of reading: You can't preach that boycotting is detrimental to the club whilst advocating pitch invasions, not unless you want to labelled a big fat hypocrite, that is.

I did address this boycott issue on the day or day after Coyle appointment within all fairness Tom.

Its seems that some people were more focus on me then talking about Coyle and keeping the thread on topic.

I have never really got the fact that people have hearburn with you chaddy, but as they say when you are in a hole, quit digging. You were.wrong on this one, easier to just hold your hand ip and admit it might have been an emotional reaction in the heat.of the moment. We all do it.

I have never really got the fact that people have hearburn with you chaddy, but as they say when you are in a hole, quit digging. You were.wrong on this one, easier to just hold your hand ip and admit it might have been an emotional reaction in the heat.of the moment. We all do it.

He will never admit it because then good old Nicko might not feed him the crumbs of bullshyte if he knows he slagged wee Coyley off

• Backroom

I mean this as politely as is feasible.

Chaddy lied. People do that sometimes and it's @#/? annoying.

But so is constantly dragging it up again and again like overbearing, clingy exes.

Archived