BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Duffy sale was predicted 12 months ago along with Hanley and Marshall, so only 1 to go now and the assets have been stripped.

How can the Duffy sale be a good deal? when the cash goes straight back into the owners pockets and we lose the best defender at the club?

Stop spouting rubbish, good job its doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

#venkysout

There probably wouldn't be the euphoria if he hadn't pulled the strokes he's pulled this season. Just read the posts people are saying crap we've lost another good defender and the cash will disappear but the player himself had made his situation here untenable.

Yes potential in him and immense in the air when switched on but no football brain and head and feet always going in different directions. Add in the mans an obvious chuunt then it's no wonder there is good riddance to him.

Fact is he was being sold anyway as you've said and if he'd kissed the badge every week the reaction would be different, same end game though :(

I can understand those feelings, but the fact he's going to Brighton, managed by a top manager at this level, and is going to be their record signing, suggests they rate him highly.

I'm not a fan of his, but that's more for his frustrating inability to convert the umpteen headers he wins into goals rather than his defensive ability.

What we all know deep down is that Blackburn Rovers will be worse off for it. That has been the case with virtually every departure over the last 18 months, as our senior players have been offloaded to Championship rivals whilst we accumulate kids who need experience and unwanted cast-offs.

Sorry, I don't agree. I think he is a very poor player who we won't miss. If Brighton get him to perform then it is good business for everyone because he has been a liability for us.

Marshall on the other hand, I will be very sad to see go as he has been really good at right back and when confident, has been our only outlet in some of our worst ever teams.

Two first choice centre halves needlessly sold and people are happy about that.

Astonishing that they can't just take one step back and see what's going on. Will they EVER learn? Doubt it.

I'm sad about Hanley.

• Backroom

Two first choice centre halves needlessly sold and people are happy about that.

Astonishing that they can't just take one step back and see what's going on. Will they EVER learn? Doubt it.

I'm only happy in one context:

If they've nothing left to sell, they may put the club up.

I'm sad about Hanley.

The big picture Pedro, the big picture. They've sold every good player we've had - every single one of them. Last summer was a turning point for them. Things changed big style. It's the road to destruction. Celebrating the sale of any first team regular under the current circumstances simply speeds up our demise. As fans we shouldn't be celebrating selling anybody, we should be doing exactly the opposite.

Sorry, but I won't be rejoicing in the Duffy sale. As poor a player as he is, we'll be weaker without him.

I'm only happy in one context:

If they've nothing left to sell, they may put the club up.

And they might not. What then?

Simple fact is that with Hanley and Duffy as regular CBs last season we conceded 46 goals in 46 games. Only Preston outside the top 6 conceded less goals.

That was despite persisting with no established RB and chopping and changing LB by selling Olsson in January and bringing Spurr back into the fold after a lengthy absence.

I think we should have done our utmost to retain that defence and employ a manager who has a reputation for being tactically astute and capable of organising a tight defence. Call it building on our strengths from last season.

Instead we've systematically dismantled that defence and employed a manager that has no idea when it comes to organisation and defensive strength.

Brighton won't be the losers, Shane Duffy won't be the loser, Blackburn Rovers will be the losers.

Hoban and Samuelson are good signings. Hopefully the loan CH and CM are of a similar quality.

Steele

Lowe Hoban New CH Williams

Samuelson Byrne New CM Conway

Graham Gallagher

Not a bad first 11. Terrible manager and owners though which means we have no chance.

Good LOAN signings maybe but there is absolutely no value in that team whatsoever. Hopefully that might mean they'll @#/? off soon.

The big picture Pedro, the big picture. They've sold every good player we've had - every single one of them. Last summer was a turning point for them. Things changed big style. It's the road to destruction. Celebrating the sale of any first team regular under the current circumstances simply speeds up our demise. As fans we shouldn't be celebrating selling anybody, we should be doing exactly the opposite.

Sorry, but I won't be rejoicing in the Duffy sale. As poor a player as he is, we'll be weaker without him.

Time to start getting the atlas out and finding the best ways to get to Forest Green Rovers and Eastleigh because carry on like this and we'll be there within 5 years.

I'm in two minds about this.

It's a fine example of Venky's continuing to cash in on any assets that are left on the playing side. In our current circumstances with a team made up of loanees, kids and elder statesman (especially in defence) it's a dreadful sale.

However, with all that said 4ish million for a player of limited ability in the final year of his contract would otherwise be seen as good business.

• Moderation Lead

Whatever people think of Duffy (I don't think he's all that as it happens), but I'm sure we can all agree that his replacement won't be as good as him.

Hopefully this final sell offs of the family silver points to preparations for sale, it looks from the outside like Venky's are bringing down the debt and repaying themselves to soften the losses they've incurred. It's pretty galling to see so much money taken out of the club and Venkys potentially getting off financially lightly, however if that is what it takes to rid ourselves of them I will take it, gladly.

• Backroom

Then I won't be happy :P sorry, I mightn't have been clear:

I'll only be 'happy' with the sale of our best players if Venkys clear off.

Even Bayes is spouting this drivel on Twitter. Seriously it's folk like this coupled with our current predicament that is making me want to turn my back on football altogether. Just not worth getting so worked up over but I can't help myself.

I've just got him told, seems Wayne Wild beat me to it though.

Some of our fans are bloody slow, its only been 6 years... PLEASE WAKE UP!!!!

The misconception is that you are saying Duffy is a good player. I don't think he is. I don't see him as an asset, the opposite in fact. Hanley was though, and yes there is a long line of decent players (our players of the year in fact) to leave who I am not happy about seeing the back of. But £4m for a hopeless lummux in the last 12months of his contract - I can see the funny side of something at last.

"We’ve got the continued support of the owners. We are FFP compliant. A lot of clubs aren’t. A lot of clubs will fail FFP this year. "

M.Cheston, May 2016

He needs to be taken to task on this in the next fans meeting.

Clearly the owners' support has gone and they are just asset-stripping.

As of today, we're generating the most income from player sale in the league, and no other clubs have failed FFP.

Hands up who believes that Brighton are paying £4 million+ for a Championship defender out of contract in less than a year who has had a weary start to this season?

Hands up who believes that it suits both Rovers and Brighton to pretend its £4 million when really its more likely to be about half of that with some more in a few years IF certain conditions are met?

Brighton aren't daft. They are a well managed club on and off the field and don't go paying over the odds for useless players. Hughton is no mug, especially when it comes to making teams hard to beat, and Brighton's board aren't the sort to throw daft money around on players with question marks over them.

Most probably £4 million was the price Rovers were hoping for this summer, and have waited until now in the hope someone would desperately offer that much, only now they're getting desperate with the window closing soon and have reduced their asking price to ensure this deal goes through smoothly. The performance of 'offering' Duffy a new contract was just an additional mechanism to try and make him into the bad guy for 'turning the offer down'.

A price of £4 million will help win over some Rovers fans who will embrace it as good business, when actually the real figure we get won't be going into the club regardless.

The misconception is that you are saying Duffy is a good player. I don't think he is. I don't see him as an asset, the opposite in fact. Hanley was though, and yes there is a long line of decent players (our players of the year in fact) to leave who I am not happy about seeing the back of. But £4m for a hopeless lummux in the last 12months of his contract - I can see the funny side of something at last.

No Pedro, I certainly don't rate him. However, he's a regular starter. Any kind of decent, forward looking plan, would see competition for centre half places brought in first, build a squad with four central defenders who we know can perform at the required level, then be prepared to wheel and deal afterwards. This isn't happening, were selling first for non footballing reasons then scrambling around gambling or hoping we can replace him. whats the back four going to look like if one of our centre halves picks up a long term injury (entirely possible) and others get suspended or get short term injuries? What's it going to look like even if everyone's fit?

Relegation management.

Hands up who believes that Brighton are paying £4 million+ for a Championship defender out of contract in less than a year who has had a weary start to this season?

Hands up who believes that it suits both Rovers and Brighton to pretend its £4 million when really its more likely to be about half of that with some more in a few years IF certain conditions are met?

Brighton aren't daft. They are a well managed club on and off the field and don't go paying over the odds for useless players. Hughton is no mug, especially when it comes to making teams hard to beat, and Brighton's board aren't the sort to throw daft money around on players with question marks over them.

Most probably £4 million was the price Rovers were hoping for this summer, and have waited until now in the hope someone would desperately offer that much, only now they're getting desperate with the window closing soon and have reduced their asking price to ensure this deal goes through smoothly. The performance of 'offering' Duffy a new contract was just an additional mechanism to try and make him into the bad guy for 'turning the offer down'.

A price of £4 million will help win over some Rovers fans who will embrace it as good business, when actually the real figure we get won't be going into the club regardless.

2 millions would also be good business. Duffy made himself a bad guy by deliberately losing a game for us. Get rid ASAP, bad apple like that will wreck havoc on team morale. I can't understand people accepting that from a player..

"Propaganda, all is phony.."

Within the space of just of 12 months we've gone from a possible:

Steele

Ollson Hanley Duffy Marshall

Conway Evans Cairney King

Rhodes Gestede

To a possible:

Steele

Williams Hoban Greer Hendrie

Conway Evans Akpan Byrne

Stokes Graham

Oh dear, what a load of rubbish

Frightening .... as is Steele holding down a job as a goalkeeper in professional football.

All the hallmarks of Dann to Ewood type deal although I've no doubt that it will total 4 mill and the add ons be achievable to get it there unlike Danns.

Thing is it'll be being dressed up to cover how much we owe Everton sell on wise and how much we probably still owe them for him. Didn't he come for c400k in a deal worth up to 1.5 ?

A good price still but that's to the naked eye and if it's broke down into fine detail I doubt there'll be much more than 2 mill going Venky way in the immediate future.

Archived