BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

Of course we are not - I don't think I have ever said we were. Historically the club has been one that has fluctuated between the top two Divisions rather than the lower Divisions and that's why, for me, retaining Championship status is so important.

You never did. Sorry. I just woke up late, lunchtime here, in a bad mood after no sleep last night.

Looking at the Transfer activity yesterday the one I'm thinking about the most is Wilshere. Basically sacked by Arsenal at age just 24 after less than 20 PL games in past 2 seasons. He'll never play for Arsenal again (imo) but will for England (imo)........ why oh why did Roy take him to the Euros. Helped cost Roy him job (a bonus!) but did the player no favours.

On the Rovers it's been just SSDD. Emnes may turn out ok but for just 5 months no matter how Coyle and the LT dress it up:

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/14715656.Blackburn_Rovers_complete_transfer_deadline_day_double_swoop_for_Charlie_Mulgrew_and_Marvin_Emnes/?ref=mac

'' Coyle tried to use more of the proceeds of Duffy’s sale to further bolster his squad. But it is understood he saw up to three cash offers – one being for Lens centre-back Abdoul Ba – rejected in the final days of the transfer window.''..........OK I believe all of that.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Keep hearing how we put cash bids in for Ba like that shows willingness to reinvest the cash - how much were we going to pay for a French lower league player??

The club is beyond a joke.

I imagine that once we had signed Williams for a small fee, that was the only money we were prepared to spend. Any other cash bids that we allegedly were making (looking at you Nixon) were just to deflect the issue and make it out like we tried (as if that's good enough anyway)

Keep hearing how we put cash bids in for Ba like that shows willingness to reinvest the cash - how much were we going to pay for a French lower league player??

The club is beyond a joke.

Sure i read somewhere that our first bid was 100k.

Never said its all good. Second thing you said that was wrong..

But yet again you just make things up to suit your agenda on here.

The other week, I gave you some friendly advice to think about.

It's coming over as quite vicious and it's getting worse.

The original advice from the other week stands: Is it necessary for me to respond, have I looked at the full picture, does my reply add anything to the debate.

All this "I explained it", "My club" "I'm hear to talk about football" "My troll" nonsense is getting tiresome, to be honest.

I saw a comment today that really had my jaw hit the floor. .....

"It's like an 'I'm the most pious preserving Jack's dream' competition. Deal with it." Wow.

Interesting.

This is a classic denial mechanism-re-defining and ridiculing the victim's reasonable grievance, as something wildly unreasonable.

Sometimes, it is helpful to use a metaphor.

The most "pious person" might go to church every single day, for instance, make a novena every first Friday, say the rosary every night and do lots of work to help the poor, sick and the dying

Someone, who is not pious might skip church, go to bingo on a Friday and not do all that much to help those in need.

But what of someone, who breaks into the church, urinates on the altar, sprays obscenities all over the walls and then sets the place on fire?

What of those, who condone this behaviour?

Just saying........

I would, with respect, disagree with out on two points 47er. Firstly I don't think we are back to the eighties because I believe both Bob Saxton and Don Mackay were far better managers than Coyle and both had squads of players far superior to what we have now. I think it's nearer the situation that Furphy inherited and turned around in 1971. Sadly, Coyle is no Ken Furphy. Secondly, I still believe you can love the club without having anything but contempt for the owners. I don't see the club and the owners as one of the same. This is still Blackburn Rovers, the same club that was founded in 1875. At the moment we have been hijacked by folk who don't appear to have our best interests at heart. At some point, when it suits them, they will leave and the club will continue, albeit a mere shadow of the club that they bought.

Unfortunately pb it isn't the same club if we get relegated there's no Howard kendal but another relegation possibly on the cards how sustainable would the current Ewood and Brockhall be in league one.. I'll tell you not very long

Last time we had people who cared.. This time just charlatans

I also find it bonkers that the only money Coyle was able to spend was diverted in its entirety to signing Williams from Bristol City.

If there was only £250,000 to spend on transfer fees we would have been better spending it on a proven experienced CB or central midfielder.

It just doesn't make any sense to me that the manager can bring in 12 players over the summer, yet only one of them he's been allowed to spend any money on, and of all our problems he decided it would be best to spend it all on a LB having already released Spurr and already signed Hendrie before deciding he actually isn't good enough.

I would, with respect, disagree with out on two points 47er. Firstly I don't think we are back to the eighties because I believe both Bob Saxton and Don Mackay were far better managers than Coyle and both had squads of players far superior to what we have now. I think it's nearer the situation that Furphy inherited and turned around in 1971. Sadly, Coyle is no Ken Furphy. Secondly, I still believe you can love the club without having anything but contempt for the owners. I don't see the club and the owners as one of the same. This is still Blackburn Rovers, the same club that was founded in 1875. At the moment we have been hijacked by folk who don't appear to have our best interests at heart. At some point, when it suits them, they will leave and the club will continue, albeit a mere shadow of the club that they bought.

We'll love the club when we get it back. At the moment it's invisible, it's not to be seen, it's out of sight. Can't love the club when we can't see through the absolute anger* at what these people are doing to it - what they're doing to what "was" a fantastic legacy.

*obviously some can see through the anger, others can't.

Has anyone worked out how much our full squad has cost in transfer fees to put together?

GK

Steele - £100k

Raya - Academy

DEF

Henley - Academy

Greer - Free

Hoban - Loan

Williams - £250k

Lowe - Academy

Ward - Free

Hendrie - Loan

Nyambe - Academy

Wharton - Academy

Mulgrew - Free

MID

Feeney - Free

Byrne - Loan

Marshall - £1m

Samuelsen - Loan

O'Sullivan - Academy

Akpan - Free

Guthrie - Free

Lenihan - Academy

Tomlinson - Academy

Mahoney - £50k

Evans - £600k

Bennett - £50k

Conway - £100k

FOR

Stokes - Free

Graham - Free

Gallagher - Loan

Emnes - Loan

By my calculations, our current squad cost (without Bonuses, Academy fees etc....)

£2,150,000

Interesting.

This is a classic denial mechanism-re-defining and ridiculing the victim's reasonable grievance, as something wildly unreasonable.

Sometimes, it is helpful to use a metaphor.

The most "pious person" might go to church every single day, for instance, make a novena every first Friday, say the rosary every night and do lots of work to help the poor, sick and the dying

Someone, who is not pious might skip church, go to bingo on a Friday and not do all that much to help those in need.

But what of someone, who breaks into the church, urinates on the altar, sprays obscenities all over the walls and then sets the place on fire?

What of those, who condone this behaviour?

Just saying........

Ridiculing the victims reasonable grievance.

That's a great one . Along with twisting to suit own agenda and eventually playing the victim B)

Funny place that there twitter world...........

I guess people have different ways of coping, for example a boycott for me would be stopping everything - season ticket, games on tv, posting here. If I got to the point where I didn't want to go, why blag my own head posting on here?

It makes me angry the mess the Venkys negligence has caused, but ultimately why should I walk away? This is my club. It might be theirs by name, and it could be owned by anyone - still my club!

Forget the money side because I find the excuse of "giving money to Venkys" ridiculous when they've washed 100m+ through the club. My season ticket or merchandise is in no way an "acceptance" or as accused on here an "approval" of their antics.

It's merely a statement that I shan't be moved from my seat. Not yet anyway, do I have a "straw that broke camels back" level? Possibly, I've nearly dropped it a few times and in the last 6 years I've missed more pre-paid season ticket games than I had 1990-2010.

Judging others for having a view of what's best is just not helping. Calling out people as Venky apologists because they just want to see us do well? It's sickens me.

I guess people have different ways of coping, for example a boycott for me would be stopping everything - season ticket, games on tv, posting here. If I got to the point where I didn't want to go, why blag my own head posting on here?

It makes me angry the mess the Venkys negligence has caused, but ultimately why should I walk away? This is my club. It might be theirs by name, and it could be owned by anyone - still my club!

Forget the money side because I find the excuse of "giving money to Venkys" ridiculous when they've washed 100m+ through the club. My season ticket or merchandise is in no way an "acceptance" or as accused on here an "approval" of their antics.

It's merely a statement that I shan't be moved from my seat. Not yet anyway, do I have a "straw that broke camels back" level? Possibly, I've nearly dropped it a few times and in the last 6 years I've missed more pre-paid season ticket games than I had 1990-2010.

Judging others for having a view of what's best is just not helping. Calling out people as Venky apologists because they just want to see us do well? It's sickens me.

Basically, you're not prepared to do anything about the situation. There are things you could do JB, but you would just say "that won't work". It's your choice, it's everyone's choice, but it just looks to me that you'll go along with anything that the owners do.

There are still supporters who care passionately about the club. There are still people working at Ewood and Brockhall who care passionately about the club. I too enjoyed watching a successful First Division side in the 1960s - who could forget that wonderful team 'Jolly Jack' put together? Nonethless, the club fell on hard times and slipped into the Third Division, in part due to the fact that financial pressures forced the sale of players and we were unable to find the funds to buy decent replacments. The present owners aren't prepared to spend money on players and hence the chances are that we will return to the Third Division because of a lack of funds to strengthen the team. The reasons may differ but the end result may well be the same.

Supporters aren't as passionate about Rovers - and it's not just our club, it's true right across football. The atmosphere in grounds is nothing like it used to be. I went to Anfield last season which always used to be a cauldron of noise and was stunned at how quiet it was.

Passionate fans don't give up on the club like our fans have, they don't take the easy option and "boycott" it or stay away from matches in the hope that the club's problems might go away or because actually doing something to save it is too difficult. Passionate fans fight for their club - often literally - like they did in the 1970s when it was clear there were problems in the boardroom with a show of passion like demonstrations on the pitch.

Bracketing those who work at Ewood and Brockhall with Venky's is a bit naughty too - my reference to the people running the club of course referred to the owners, as you well know.

Similar position that I have taken. Without doubt the events of the last few years have taken their toll on me, but in some ways it has made me even more determined.

My granddad was a regular at Ewood in the 30s and 40s. My dad followed him and was a season ticket holder from the 70s up until 2011 when he stopped going when they came in and sacked Allardyce. Credit to my dad, he called them out as dodgy shysters from the word go and stopped going immediately, whereas I gave them the benefit of the doubt and more time to prove him wrong, but ultimately he's been proven right. He's now out of the routine of going Rovers and I wonder if he'll ever get back into it once they're gone. He was in a group of about 15-20 friends in the Riverside which has been almost entirely wiped out over the last 5 years.

I've thought about stopping and saving myself the time, energy and money, but I just can't do it. I'm single and have no kids, and Rovers is an integral part of my life outside work. I suppose if I had other 'distractions' it might have been different. But ultimately I've made the decision that I'm not going to let them come between me and Rovers.

I was here before them, my dad was here before them, and my granddad was here before them, I consider it my responsibility and duty to keep my family tradition going and I'm not going to let them stop me from doing it, its gone too far for that. I despise these owners, and will celebrate the day they leave. They have done untold damage. I'm now in a group of 3 season ticket holders, and I expect very soon that my 2 friends will also stop going its been that bad. A few years ago I was in a group of 6. Before Venkys arrived it was 8. They've changed things for the worse and it will never get back to what it was.

I completely understand the decision people have taken to stay away from it. I don't blame anyone for doing it after the way these owners and this club has behaved in recent years. But for me personally I've decided that despite how awful it has been and will probably get worse, I'm not going to allow some dodgy Indians to stop me following Rovers.

Forget the money side because I find the excuse of "giving money to Venkys" ridiculous when they've washed 100m+ through the club.

Can you give us an example of something you've boycotted? In the way you've described?

Just to share your experience with the fans posting on here that are currently adopting that stance?

Supporters aren't as passionate about Rovers - and it's not just our club, it's true right across football. The atmosphere in grounds is nothing like it used to be. I went to Anfield last season which always used to be a cauldron of noise and was stunned at how quiet it was.

Passionate fans don't give up on the club like our fans have, they don't take the easy option and "boycott" it or stay away from matches in the hope that the club's problems might go away or because actually doing something to save it is too difficult. Passionate fans fight for their club - often literally - like they did in the 1970s when it was clear there were problems in the boardroom with a show of passion like demonstrations on the pitch.

Bracketing those who work at Ewood and Brockhall with Venky's is a bit naughty too - my reference to the people running the club of course referred to the owners, as you well know.

I totally disagree with your point about supporters. There many, many passionate fans who still follow the club home and away, week in and week out. You may have given up on it jim, but many haven't and that includes those who have decided to boycott.

Basically, you're not prepared to do anything about the situation. There are things you could do JB, but you would just say "that won't work". It's your choice, it's everyone's choice, but it just looks to me that you'll go along with anything that the owners do.

So I should stop going because I disagree with the owners decisions? Sorry Den* but I'll make my own mind up on that.

Am I prepared to do something? Yes I am. I'm prepared to still be a supporter when the going gets extremely tough. If that's not getting on with the situation, then what is? There are plenty you'd agree more with who are currently sat twiddling their thumbs every Saturday, boycotting by watching SSN in the pub... Are they prepared to do something?

Or do mean you want me to stop going but moan about those that do on here? That'll make a big difference...

If you mean I could protest them out? Well it hasn't worked yet. Or I could boycott them out? 13,000+ have, they are still here. What could I do that makes a difference?

Walking away makes no difference to the owners but evidently has an impact on transfer business. Just look at Chestons letter about the club being self financing - if they never leave, and the fans never come back, 250k a transfer window might be pie in the sky!

Edit

Den not Gav haha

Archived