BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfers Part 2

Tom

1 hour ago, AJW said:

i don't see the attraction of bringing Lambert in if Stokes and Graham are staying , I would much rather see a different type of striker , one with pace and movement I haven't seen a lot of this John Akinde but he looks a real handful ,like Jason Roberts  . Nyambe and Williams both did enough for me last season to earn the starting spots at full back , what we don't have is sufficient back up to them , so bringing in Caddis or McMahon on a free makes sense , as left back goes I think we need someone who could operate all down the left hand side , someone who is comfortable at left back or left midfield ( dare I say it - a young Marcus Ollson ). After that I think we are more or less there , I just cannot see Mulgrew he come September so maybe bring in a c/b now may appeal . 

Mulgrew, after the Scotland v England game, expressed a clear desire that he wanted to stay in the Championship.

My hope now is that with the Club showing real promotion intent he will think that L1 is ok for a year to get a promotion as league Champion on his history.

I think the silver tongue of TM will be very persuasive.

I hope he stays but agree cb cover is definately a requirement if he goes.

Having a line up the field of Mulgrew, Whittingham and Dack means we can play a passing game with more than ok players involved and to lose Mulgrew would be a blow.

We need some pace and the loan market could get us a young pacey wide player and maybe a striker too.

I think TM will delay loans until outgoings are clearer.

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, bluebruce said:

After reading about our search for a striker I decided to have a look at the top scorers in League One for last season. I was astonished to see Josh Morris in the number 3 spot with 19 goals (plus 17 assists) presumably all from central midfield.

I really can't say I rated him at all on the handful of occasions I saw him play for us, so to me it has really come to something that I'm looking at those stats and wishing Josh Morris played for us next season.

Look at it from the perspective that he wasn't that good and couldn't get in our side - so the likes of Bennett, Conway and Whittingham should have a real impact at this level. Also, the Bolton side who were relegated were in far worse shape than our side. We SHOULD be fine next season if we keep motivated and together. I think few would argue the impact of Owen Coyle had on fitness and results. A fortnight longer with Mowbray in charge, I believe, would have meant we would be a Championship side this season.

• Backroom
25 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Although his stance on the players is commendable, we all know that player power wins the day every time.

At least it's a clear message to the players: 'I want you here', which is far more than many of our managers have said and they had better quality players!

Man-management 101.

• Backroom
9 hours ago, bluebruce said:

After reading about our search for a striker I decided to have a look at the top scorers in League One for last season. I was astonished to see Josh Morris in the number 3 spot with 19 goals (plus 17 assists) presumably all from central midfield.

I really can't say I rated him at all on the handful of occasions I saw him play for us, so to me it has really come to something that I'm looking at those stats and wishing Josh Morris played for us next season.

Surely Morris is only on his 72nd loan move from rovers and is due back anytime?

The usual sea change on here again as comments regarding the gaffer have finally been seen as going from 'Nobody leaves - ever' to 'well if the right offer comes in' .

Usual suspects never ever learn :lol:

There'll be at least one sale and a couple moved on somehow. The incomings will have to be covered it does not ever come out of the Venky pocket !

At the Q and A this morning Mowbray confirmed that two bids were in for strikers.

He also said we fended off serious interest for Dack, notably from Redknapp.

Got to say, the man spoke impressively well. 

He went through each signing as well and explained why he liked them.

6 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

and rightly so

11 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Suggestive of the standard of League 1. We are now 4/1 to win the division, Portsmouth are second at double those odds. Interesting to be in this position. Keeping players motivated will be the hard part I think. Not just this season, but next if/when we go up. From Mowbrays interviews, this is the first step in a process of returning to the Premier league. He said the other day that if we go up, he wants to owners to show again that they back him to get us there. It was a brilliant way to frame things. If they want success, keep putting the cash up. Nothing else will suffice.

14 minutes ago, Speedie Dived said:

At the Q and A this morning Mowbray confirmed that two bids were in for strikers.

And that is pretty much all we ask from our manager. Somebody who is forthright, honest and speaks a football language we understand and can identify with. 

1 minute ago, arbitro said:

And that is pretty much all we ask from our manager. Somebody who is forthright, honest and speaks a football language we understand and can identify with. 

He was certainly that. Also said Gladwin was a free but has add ons if we go up

11 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I have watched a bit of League One and it is a very very poor league. Josh Morris has done well but he is still very limited compared to where the current crop of youngsters at Rovers are at. The likes of Lenniham, Wharton, Nyambye, Tomlinson could be very effective at this level. I'd say it was a bigger drop than from Prem to Championship.

19 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

and rightly so

Suggestive of the standard of League 1. We are now 4/1 to win the division, Portsmouth are second at double those odds. Interesting to be in this position. Keeping players motivated will be the hard part I think. Not just this season, but next if/when we go up. From Mowbrays interviews, this is the first step in a process of returning to the Premier league. He said the other day that if we go up, he wants to owners to show again that they back him to get us there. It was a brilliant way to frame things. If they want success, keep putting the cash up. Nothing else will suffice.

We were similar odds in pre season after the first relegation under this lot.

Winning the league still not convinced, feeling it's going to be a lot tougher than people are expecting, Promotion a genuine possibility though but remember the chicken pluckers are only minutes away on any given day of cocking things up.

Fingers crossed that Mowbray has the power that is being reported.

22 minutes ago, Speedie Dived said:

Yes he did speak very well and fair play to him and Rovers in pulling something like this together at obviously a very busy time.

IMO he spoke very well about integrity, passion, a desire to succeed with promotion this season, to do well for the Rao family, plus spoke candidly, honestly and with humility.

"For those players who might have played 40 games last season which ultimately resulted in us being relegated, he would hope that they have a personal pride and ambition to set this right, rather than state that they don't want to play in League One, as he too doesn't want to manage in League One either" .  :D

I was very impressed.

I just hope that he too isn't badly let down, like a few before him.

There'll be plenty ariel bombardments on crappy pitches against strikers who bend the rules and get away with it because of crap officials, is our defence actually up to this two or three times a week ?

Plodding journey men who can't wait to get stuck into people on 3 times their wages and brought up in plush Brockhall training complexes alongside the odd young player looking to make a name for himself against a name like Blackburn Rovers.

Bolton had Wheater at the heart of their defence and I really think we need someone like that. Cakewalk this league won't be at all especially when teams come to Ewood a put 11 behind the ball every week. It'll be a grind at times.

12 minutes ago, perthblue02 said:

We were similar odds in pre season after the first relegation under this lot.

Exactly this, the reason we are favourites is down to a couple of factors.

1) We only went down on goal difference last season

2) We are the biggest club in this league

3) Our current financial 'model' blows almost everyone else out of the water

What the odds don't factor in is Venkys track record for turning a positive situation into a negative one, which they have almost every summer achieved by selling at least one quality player and messing the incumbent manager about with new signings, and also their ability to pour a massive wage bill down the drain every year whilst overseeing continued decline.

Odds that appear before the transfer window has even opened are a waste of time. Relegated clubs will almost always be among the favourites to go back up. Odds that appear once the transfer window has closed would be much more useful.

Refreshing to hear Mowbray speak. He certainly seems to be under the impression that he has final say on any departures. I'd be amazed if Venkys have agreed to that given their recent appetite for sales without first asking for the managers approval.

• Backroom
46 minutes ago, Speedie Dived said:

Would you be willing to go into more detail re: what he said about each player? I didn't know about this Q&A but would be very interested.

18 minutes ago, Boz said:

Yes he did speak very well and fair play to him and Rovers in pulling something like this together at obviously a very busy time.

IMO he spoke very well about integrity, passion, a desire to succeed with promotion this season, to do well for the Rao family, plus spoke candidly, honestly and with humility.

"For those players who might have played 40 games last season which ultimately resulted in us being relegated, he would hope that they have a personal pride and ambition to set this right, rather than state that they don't want to play in League One, as he too doesn't want to manage in League One either" .  :D

I was very impressed.

I just hope that he too isn't badly let down, like a few before him.

8 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Exactly this, the reason we are favourites is down to a couple of factors.

1) We only went down on goal difference last season

2) We are the biggest club in this league

3) Our current financial 'model' blows almost everyone else out of the water

What the odds don't factor in is Venkys track record for turning a positive situation into a negative one, which they have almost every summer achieved by selling at least one quality player and messing the incumbent manager about with new signings, and also their ability to pour a massive wage bill down the drain every year whilst overseeing continued decline.

Odds that appear before the transfer window has even opened are a waste of time. Relegated clubs will almost always be among the favourites to go back up. Odds that appear once the transfer window has closed would be much more useful.

Refreshing to hear Mowbray speak. He certainly seems to be under the impression that he has final say on any departures. I'd be amazed if Venkys have agreed to that given their recent appetite for sales without first asking for the managers approval.

We were 8/1 3 weeks ago, we are now 4/1. People are noticing what Mowbray is trying to do and the attitude he is trying to install in the players. He always says it is all about working hard and results coming from that. We needed a reset button pressed. This relegation may hopefully be that. 

9 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

We were 8/1 3 weeks ago, we are now 4/1. People are noticing what Mowbray is trying to do and the attitude he is trying to install in the players. He always says it is all about working hard and results coming from that. We needed a reset button pressed. This relegation may hopefully be that. 

Mowbray can 'try to do' whatever he wants. That isn't the problem. My concern is whether he'll be allowed to do it.

I've no doubts Bowyer and Lambert both tried to do various things to set us on the right course and were prevented from doing so by these owners. Where do we begin. Refusing to get out of the transfer embargo to allow Bowyer to strengthen, selling off players like Cairney without consulting him, sacking Bowyer mid-season after starving him of funds, appointing Lambert having promised him funds, getting us out of the embargo only to spend nothing for 18 months, erecting a wall of silence that lasted 2 years until Mowbray's recent jaunt to India.

Our odds have shortened because we've signed a few decent looking players and haven't sold anyone, yet. If we sell Lenihan and Mulgrew in the next fortnight then those odds will lengthen again. Likewise if Wigan or Portsmouth go and spend a couple of million apiece their odds will come closing in on ours.

As I say, I'm fairly happy with the summer so far, but we've 8 weeks to go and I know better than to start hailing success before the serious business has even begun.

13 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

We'll be back up to 10/1 come 1st September when Mulgrew and Lenihan have just been sold for a combined 3.5m and Mowbray has been denied 150k for a first choice centre back.

The manager says who comes and goes very quickly turns to the bid has been referred to the owners they have the final say. Happened under every Venky manager but as I've said before the one saving grace might be that no one is going to bid proper money for Mulgrew/Graham/Evans because of their poor fitness records and huge wages.

Only one I worry about is Lenihen as he might be worth a punt for a club or two although Grayson doing one from PNE maybe helps that one. Personally i'd flog Evans for a few bags of peanuts and reinvest his wage in a decent centre half.

8 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Mowbray can 'try to do' whatever he wants. That isn't the problem. My concern is whether he'll be allowed to do it.

I've no doubts Bowyer and Lambert both tried to do various things to set us on the right course and were prevented from doing so by these owners. Where do we begin. Refusing to get out of the transfer embargo to allow Bowyer to strengthen, selling off players like Cairney without consulting him, sacking Bowyer mid-season after starving him of funds, appointing Lambert having promised him funds, getting us out of the embargo only to spend nothing for 18 months, erecting a wall of silence that lasted 2 years until Mowbray's recent jaunt to India.

Our odds have shortened because we've signed a few decent looking players and haven't sold anyone, yet. If we sell Lenihan and Mulgrew in the next fortnight then those odds will lengthen again. Likewise if Wigan or Portsmouth go and spend a couple of million apiece their odds will come closing in on ours.

As I say, I'm fairly happy with the summer so far, but we've 8 weeks to go and I know better than to start hailing success before the serious business has even begun.

8 minutes ago, J*B said:

We'll be back up to 10/1 come 1st September when Mulgrew and Lenihan have just been sold for a combined 3.5m and Mowbray has been denied 150k for a first choice centre back.

Would the signings and approach to transfers not make you think things are different? Mowbray just said he decides who stays and goes. We are favourites for the title and I expect us to be at the top. 

• Backroom
13 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Would the signings and approach to transfers not make you think things are different? Mowbray just said he decides who stays and goes. We are favourites for the title and I expect us to be at the top. 

We'll know where we stand at the end of the window. Until then Mowbray could do a lot of astute business but still have the rug well and truly pulled out from under him by the Indians a few hours before the window shuts.

6 minutes ago, DE. said:

We'll know where we stand at the end of the window. Until then Mowbray could do a lot of astute business but still have the rug well and truly pulled out from under him by the Indians a few hours before the window shuts.

I personally think that Coyle being weak last summer was the reason Hanley and Duffy left. He thought he was bullet proof and such a good manager he could do well with Wes Brown in defense at age 72

• Backroom
5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I personally think that Coyle being weak last summer was the reason Hanley and Duffy left. He thought he was bullet proof and such a good manager he could do well with Wes Brown in defense at age 72

I'd rather forget Coyle ever managed us. I was thinking more of Cairney when Bowyer was in charge. We'll know in September what "a man's promise" truly means.

Archived