BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Wolves - The Game Itself Thread.

tomphil

Tin hat for me here but we knock it about better and attack quicker at times under him than anyone for a long time. It's more fluid than Bowyers stuff. His recruitment of attackers has been decent although Gallagher and Emnes are far to static at times.

However his defensive recruitment apart from Hoban could and should have been better. I'm talking Greer and Brown here who over a season won't offer nearly half enough of what we need for obvious reasons. Also no cover for full backs etc when other guys for further up the park he's wasted wages on loaning in but won't use them.

He isn't and never has been a defensive manager and poor threadbare sides very rarely play their way out of the bottom three. He's also another who's hopeless with subs.

We seem to shift between some absolutely wonderful football - to some absolutely woeful at times.

Bottom line - but for the referee we would have probably won. Their goal was offside - and they should have been down to 10 men at half time (absolutely frustrating to see Marshall given a yellow card for exactly the same offence that Batth escaped a second yellow).

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We seem to shift between some absolutely wonderful football - to some absolutely woeful at times.

Bottom line - but for the referee we would have probably won. Their goal was offside - and they should have been down to 10 men at half time (absolutely frustrating to see Marshall given a yellow card for exactly the same offence that Batth escaped a second yellow).

Yeah we still look ropey when the opposition attack but i like the more open style of attack play it just seems to flow across the park better in odd spells. I think we attack with a bit more purpose that's all but we go into our shells every game around 70 mins for some reason. I think his unforced subs are poor as well.

If there was a decent defence in there we might have the look of a decent team.

Can't blame the ref, he was definitely a homer

The team always seems to go into it's shell after Coyles starts messing with it via subs and they never seem tactical. Either forced through a knock or mostly just because someone looks like they can't last 90. That coupled with the rest of them in general flagging despite not going full tilt all game can only point to one thing. Just not fit enough.

Someone said early in thread. Complete lack of guile in centre midfield.

We completed well for 65 mins but looked slow and cumbersome in the latter stages.

Gallagher has been playing well, but that was a pretty awful miss in the second half.

Interesting thoughts. Spoke with an ex pro tonight (Championship level+) who thinks Rovers and Coyley an ideal match.Don't particularly like the bloke (Coyley) but was on a hiding to nothing from day one.

In our current form we probably are an ideal match. I don't think the observation was meant as a compliment.

People are being deceived on the basis that we're not being heavily beaten.

The league table doesn't lie.

We looked a static team most of the game. Endless passing back and forth and sideways, playing it safe.

A good advt for that new game "walking football" is it called?

Not bad up front but lacking the guile in mid-field to exploit that front two.

Always looked dodgy at the back with Wolves crosses, Steele does not exude confidence.

Yeah, I agree. We pass it stood still too much. When we're in possession we have a habit of passing the ball to a player who is in a worse position than the player who has the ball originally. Players are not taking responsibility to make something happen but are just moving the ball on. Not enough movement off the ball to make a target for the man in possession.

I can see why we've conceded so many late goals, we were walking towards the play after 70 minutes. If we'd have played another 5 minutes we'd have lost that game as well. Wolves were all over us like a rash at the end.

When we appointed the current manager I thought " That's us down for sure ". Nothing I saw last night has caused me to change my mind.

Yeah, I agree. We pass it stood still too much. When we're in possession we have a habit of passing the ball to a player who is in a worse position than the player who has the ball originally. Players are not taking responsibility to make something happen but are just moving the ball on. Not enough movement off the ball to make a target for the man in possession.

I can see why we've conceded so many late goals, we were walking towards the play after 70 minutes. If we'd have played another 5 minutes we'd have lost that game as well. Wolves were all over us like a rash at the end.

When we appointed the current manager I thought " That's us down for sure ". Nothing I saw last night has caused me to change my mind.

I thought similar - Guthrie, Greer, Emnes, Mulgrew all looked to be blowing out their arses by 65 minutes!

I thought yesterday was Jason's best game in a Rovers shirt as captain. His overlapping was excellent, he stopped numerous attacks (particularly the block after running the whole pitch on 87 mins) and if we had 11 players in his condition, we'd concede far less late goals.

I thought Lenihan, Marshall, Gallagher, Steele, Conway and a couple of others played well - we desperately need some depth and quality though - I think a pragmatic manager could grind results out but Coyle (playing Guthrie and Evans in a 442 as an example) is just not savvy enough.

If we play well organised teams, we concede goals. By that logic, and our issues with depth (not Coyles fault really), we will be cut adrift before too long.

Do the players look like they are responding, yes- but I thought that under Kean at times, so it means little.

Does Coyle need to go? Yes. Results business, and his have been shocking.

I thought similar - Guthrie, Greer, Emnes, Mulgrew all looked to be blowing out their arses by 65 minutes!

I thought yesterday was Jason's best game in a Rovers shirt as captain. His overlapping was excellent, he stopped numerous attacks (particularly the block after running the whole pitch on 87 mins) and if we had 11 players in his condition, we'd concede far less late goals.

I thought Lenihan, Marshall, Gallagher, Steele, Conway and a couple of others played well - we desperately need some depth and quality though - I think a pragmatic manager could grind results out but Coyle (playing Guthrie and Evans in a 442 as an example) is just not savvy enough.

If we play well organised teams, we concede goals. By that logic, and our issues with depth (not Coyles fault really), we will be cut adrift before too long.

Do the players look like they are responding, yes- but I thought that under Kean at times, so it means little.

Does Coyle need to go? Yes. Results business, and his have been shocking.

I thought both full backs did OK until Mulgrew had to go off. Mulgrew was quicker over the ground than I expected. Was he injured or was he taken off because his lack of fitness may have caused another injury ? Lowe always looks vulnerable to the long diagonal ball out to the wing over his head. His lack of height and jumping ability leaves him struggling to cope with these passes. Other than that he did well and if the rest of the squad had his level of fitness we'd do a lot better. Full back covers up most of his limitations, a central midfielder he definitely isn't.

Hendrie didn't look up to much when he came on to replace Mulgrew. In fact none of our subs changed the game, I thought Wolves subs had much more of an impact. We definitely need someone to replace Guthrie, someone who can join up with and get beyond the front two. Oh for a Dunny in his prime.

I thought both full backs did OK until Mulgrew had to go off. Mulgrew was quicker over the ground than I expected. Was he injured or was he taken off because his lack of fitness may have caused another injury ? Lowe always looks vulnerable to the long diagonal ball out to the wing over his head. His lack of height and jumping ability leaves him struggling to cope with these passes. Other than that he did well and if the rest of the squad had his level of fitness we'd do a lot better. Full back covers up most of his limitations, a central midfielder he definitely isn't.

Hendrie didn't look up to much when he came on to replace Mulgrew. In fact none of our subs changed the game, I thought Wolves subs had much more of an impact. We definitely need someone to replace Guthrie, someone who can join up with and get beyond the front two. Oh for a Dunny in his prime.

A Dunny in his prime was a class act. Therefore by definition he would be sold!

Draw was a fair result.

Whether you like him or not, Coyley has made some good sigings (and some indifferent!) in difficult circumstances.

We wont go down - we've too much quality compared to some of the clubs down there.

That's us relegated then. Coyle's going nowhere, he'll be there to collect his relegation bonus. Please rid us of these horrible people.

Questions already surfacing about fitness, donuts and table tennis will nit see us fit will they. Third Division next season. Dingles in Prem, us in third, it's gone full circle back to the 70's

That's us relegated then. Coyle's going nowhere, he'll be there to collect his relegation bonus. Please rid us of these horrible people.

Questions already surfacing about fitness, donuts and table tennis will nit see us fit will they. Third Division next season. Dingles in Prem, us in third, it's gone full circle back to the 70's

It's worse than that. We were struggling some of the time in the 1970's but at least the people in charge of the club were trying to do something about the situation, and eventually they did.

It's a shame Mulgrew and Greer's legs are gone, as they're still class players otherwise. That's why they're with us in the first place anyway...

Marshall seemed really involved - good to see after looking disinterested to start the year. One of the best games I've seen Lowe play, particularly his attacking.

Guthrie's solid with the ball, but he didn't seem to be helping Evans in defence all that much. Evans is solid positionally and harasses well, but tends to struggle to win the ball back on his own. They seem to be developing a decent partnership though. I think part of the problem is Emnes wasn't coming back enough to give them an outlet. Could see Stokes providing that option when he was briefly on. Otherwise we were stuck hoofing it to Gallagher, who's excellent at chasing balls down (he's got incredible straight ahead speed with his long strides), but he needs to work on winning his headers.

That missed offside call on the goal was pretty brutal when you see the replay...

It's a shame Mulgrew and Greer's legs are gone, as they're still class players otherwise. That's why they're with us in the first place anyway...

Marshall seemed really involved - good to see after looking disinterested to start the year. One of the best games I've seen Lowe play, particularly his attacking.

Guthrie's solid with the ball, but he didn't seem to be helping Evans in defence all that much. Evans is solid positionally and harasses well, but tends to struggle to win the ball back on his own. They seem to be developing a decent partnership though. I think part of the problem is Emnes wasn't coming back enough to give them an outlet. Could see Stokes providing that option when he was briefly on. Otherwise we were stuck hoofing it to Gallagher, who's excellent at chasing balls down (he's got incredible straight ahead speed with his long strides), but he needs to work on winning his headers.

That missed offside call on the goal was pretty brutal when you see the replay...

I've given over bothering about offside calls, bad or good. The rule is a joke so you can only expect joke decisions.

Sky, again quite surprisingly, actually flagged that up too. They showed a list of players sales and also the overall ins and outs since Venky's came in (£40m net profit on sales), then pointed out that our wage bill has shrunk, we continually sell our best players and replace them with inferior ones.

Obviously, for most of us that much is obvious, but it was a bit of a shock to see Sky being so up front about it considering they've spent the past six years pointing the finger mainly at the fans or just ignoring us completely.

Maybe they think (or know) the Venkys are doomed and are trying to distance themselves before the wheels come off

The scottish clown needs to realise that if the midfield is being overrun like ours was yesterday in the second half he needs to change however because he didnt and because he failed tactical wise it cost us 2 points.

Coyle is a liability and needs sacking. Cheston and Coar remain puppets and has anyone seen anything of the new communications officer?

The club is a sinking joke

The scottish clown needs to realise that if the midfield is being overrun like ours was yesterday in the second half he needs to change however because he didnt and because he failed tactical wise it cost us 2 points.

Coyle is a liability and needs sacking. Cheston and Coar remain puppets and has anyone seen anything of the new communications officer?

The club is a sinking joke

New communications officer?

Still waiting for the club to even confirm he's been appointed. As yet all we've got is Cheston's verbal 'confirmation' to a small group of supporters more than a month ago that he is now being paid by the club. The club has made no confirmation of his involvement at any level. I expect the real reason the minutes of that meeting still haven't been released is that they don't want that confirmation putting in writing from the club.

It really is a sick sick joke. They have the audacity to advertise the vacancy in public and try to sell it to supporters as a serious attempt to improve the running of the club. In hindsight it was only advertised as a means to enable the hidden one to obtain a work permit. They finally fill the vacancy with their own henchman. Only admit to it when they are put on the spot in a supporters group meeting and verbally confirm he's on the payroll. A month later and there's no official confirmation whatsoever of this guy's presence.

Its like they're playing games.

Interesting - I thought he was equally inept for both sides - the major difference being that two of his decisions that went against Rovers cost us a goal, and being a man up for the whole of the second half.

He didn't seem interested in protecting Emnes I thought, yet lesser fouls involving others were pulled up.

We've signed 3 players on proper contracts whose legs are on the way out. Contracts that no one else would put anywhere near them probably. Tell me this still doesn't have shades of the Kean style signings after relegation like Etuhu, Murphy etc.

The rotten core is still there imo

Archived