SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Coyle Out

Stuart

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, NinjaTattoo said:

Just bumped into a friend of mine who lets just say he's a very well to do gentleman he was in the directors box yesterday and he was talking to Senior and from the convo he had with him he was under the impression that Coyle has 2 games to go..

this gentleman holds a very powerful position within Blackburn ( the area not the club) and has no allegiance with anyone bar he's Rovers through n through.

Just now, NinjaTattoo said:

I dunno, from my impression of what my friend said was 2 games to be judged as if this is last chance saloon. 

First thing I replied was its too late , should have been done before the window as any new manager  apart from new manager syndrome has his hands tied. 

Senior might just have been pacify my friend as Im in the same boat as Ill believe it when i see it . I also said I think we will run out of games for survival but as I say this gentlemen I know is very well to do probably most people on here might know him but Im not gonna drag his name into this.

From a Rovers perspective and looking at venky history I'd gamble on this "very well to do gentleman" to be a complete fake. You can't blame me or any other Rovers fan from having this view. 

As for Coyle having 2 more games seems a bit ridiculous. How would a new manager work miracles in such a short space of time. 

It's too late. He should never have been appointed anyway.

Just now, Cherry Blue said:

From a Rovers perspective and looking at venky history I'd gamble on this "very well to do gentleman" to be a complete fake. You can't blame me or any other Rovers fan from having this view. 

As for Coyle having 2 more games seems a bit ridiculous. How would a new manager work miracles in such a short space of time. 

I agree with your point that Coyle should never have been appointed. I disagree that a new manager would have to work a miracle to get professional footballers to actually play and enjoy football. A simple gameplan that everyone understands will go a long way.

Just now, rigger said:

I agree with your point that Coyle should never have been appointed. I disagree that a new manager would have to work a miracle to get professional footballers to actually play and enjoy football. A simple gameplan that everyone understands will go a long way.

But the squad is too thin. We need a strong squad with a good mix of experience especially at the back. Lack of movement in transfer window was damaging. 

Just now, Cherry Blue said:

But the squad is too thin. We need a strong squad with a good mix of experience especially at the back. Lack of movement in transfer window was damaging. 

This is only my opinion, we have to do something about our defending, at the moment we have nothing to loose as we have probably the worst defence in our league. Everyone always complains about weakness in the fullback positions. Personally I would play three central defenders, try to teach two players to play as half-backs, two central mid-fielders, one winger, and two central forwards. But the most important tactic is to make sure every player understands the first objective is to stop the opposition from scoring, and that every player has a responsibility in doing that.  

37 minutes ago, Cherry Blue said:

He's not a fake at all, ex council chief who has a CBE.

If anything knowing his position Im more inclined to believe that senior was trying to pacify him 

When Senior was first appointed, I posted that the gossip was Coyle didn't see the appointment coming at all and was fuming; there has been nothing in recent events, including the transfer window, to suggest that this is incorrect.

I posted a week or so ago that I believed Coyle was on the thinnest of thin ice.  I have since seen or heard nothing that changes my view.  In my view, Coyle will be gone before the month is out, either cheaply or with nothing at all - things could be about to get very interesting.

• Backroom
2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

How I see it with Lambert was that he was encouraged to move Rhodes on with the understanding that the fee would be spent on bringing maybe three new quality players in. Once he realised he'd been double crossed by the Chokers it must have been clear to him that staying at Ewood would be a pointless exercise. He then put his exit strategy in place.

i think they appointed him and his management team because somebody told them that a good managerial team could get us promoted with the squad we had and without actually spending any more money. When it began to look like this wasn't going to happen they allowed him to cash in the Rhodes " chip " and shoved the dosh under the mattress.

I'm not sure whether Lambert was brought in with survival as the target or a genuine playoff push, but either way they were obviously concerned enough by Bowyer to move him on. Whether that was due to results or other issues is open for debate. Lambert obviously had his suspicions (as any sane person would) and was smart enough to insert a clause into his contract to ensure he could walk away free if promises weren't kept. The fact some on here used that clause as a stick to beat him with is truly remarkable (and not in a good way).

The big question, for me, is why have we returned to having a manager who appears to be aligned with "other" agencies? Were they hoping that after four years most of the fans would have forgotten? Or was there something else preventing them from having their own man in situ until now?

Just now, Mercerman said:

When Senior was first appointed, I posted that the gossip was Coyle didn't see the appointment coming at all and was fuming; there has been nothing in recent events, including the transfer window, to suggest that this is incorrect.

I posted a week or so ago that I believed Coyle was on the thinnest of thin ice.  I have since seen or heard nothing that changes my view.  In my view, Coyle will be gone before the month is out, either cheaply or with nothing at all - things could be about to get very interesting.

But what self respecting  manager would consider reporting into senior ??

None 

its all the blame game.

If i was he owner and my intention was to relegate the club for what ever reason the strategy would be:

Stick with the current manager who every now and again gets a win ( because 20 losses would have the locals with pitchforks at the door and lets face it even a broken clock is correct twice a day )

So i get to the crucial month or two of Dec ( due to the number of games coming thick n fast ) then Jan ( sales) so if i can get past Jan having spent no money and on target points wise I can then take the heat off myself by appointing someone else as manager who lets face it cant do much bar tweaking the team sheet and if it all goes tits up i can blame either: Old manager, new manager, staff, players that have left and didnt have time to bring in new players and at the end of the season hold my hands up and blame everyone else.

7 minutes ago, Mercerman said:

You've been saying this for ages and all that changes is your predicted timescales. One day you have to be right purely based on the law of averages.

5 minutes ago, DE. said:

I'm not sure whether Lambert was brought in with survival as the target or a genuine playoff push, but either way they were obviously concerned enough by Bowyer to move him on. Whether that was due to results or other issues is open for debate. Lambert obviously had his suspicions (as any sane person would) and was smart enough to insert a clause into his contract to ensure he could walk away free if promises weren't kept. The fact some on here used that clause as a stick to beat him with is truly remarkable (and not in a good way).

The big question, for me, is why have we returned to having a manager who appears to be aligned with "other" agencies? Were they hoping that after four years most of the fans would have forgotten? Or was there something else preventing them from having their own man in situ until now?

I think Lambert was appointed because our owners thought he was capable of at least getting us into the play-offs that season.  In a way, it was a 'can't lose scenario' - if it had worked, they would have been laughing all the way to the bank, if it didn't (and during last January's window, it became pretty clear promotion was unattainable) , Lambert's position could be made untenable and he would walk, which he did.

2 hours ago, tomphil said:

This is the most plausible explanation by far. He was lied to, we were led down the garden path again whilst they played the idiots as usual. 

I'll ask yet again where are the Lambert critics who kept pitching up on here saying they weren't impressed with him, wanted rid and were keeping the powder dry for the next guy :lol:

You mean the bloke who lost to Burton at the weekend, the same bloke who oversaw one of our worst ever performances (at Bolton) and who got less points per game than Bowyer? I remember him flouncing out of Ewood cos he couldn't hack it. He threatened exactly the same at Wolves early on when they were losing. He's just spent £13m on a winger so i imagine the dummy will be back in for a while. As someone who wanted rid of Bowyer you really shouldn't be so smug, it's been downhill ever since he left.:)

Just now, Stuart said:

You've been saying this for ages and all that changes is your predicted timescales. One day you have to be right purely based on the law of averages.

Oh feck it.

Can't be bothered any more.

I think Lambert was appointed because our owners thought he was capable of at least getting us into the play-offs that season.  In a way, it was a 'can't lose scenario' - if it had worked, they would have been laughing all the way to the bank, if it didn't (and during last January's window, it became pretty clear promotion was unattainable) , Lambert's position could be made untenable and he would walk, which he did.

I really don't think they are that clever.

Every decision seems to be on a whim. I'd suggest it's anywhere between a coin toss and whatever is in their tea leaves.

Or whomever they think is the nicest person giving them advice on any given day.

The danger is that every decision is made on a financial basis having been run past the accountant-in-chief. Football clubs need to be run by entrepreneurs with a love of their club keeping them grounded. We have a buying team whose sourcing strategy is limited to agents clearing lists, junk mail offers and the Argos catalogue. Our sales strategy is to talk up anything and any one of value and then just ignore the phone until about 9pm on 31st January, at which point we switch on the fax machine, and to sell any old BS that the hardcore fans will buy to give them breathing space.

Having to swallow 'times are tough' and 'we need to tighten our belt' would be a bitter but necessary pill under Battersby and Currie but it's pretty hollow when it's coming from a spokesperson for the King of Bling, along with how committed and caring (and even hurting!) our errant owners are.

IMG_0270.JPG

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

You mean the bloke who lost to Burton at the weekend, the same bloke who oversaw one of our worst ever performances (at Bolton) and who got less points per game than Bowyer? I remember him flouncing out of Ewood cos he couldn't hack it. He threatened exactly the same at Wolves early on when they were losing. He's just spent £13m on a winger so i imagine the dummy will be back in for a while. As someone who wanted rid of Bowyer you really shouldn't be so smug, it's been downhill ever since he left.:)

Unfair to compare Lambert with Bowyer's overall record - that squad in 2013/2014 was easily capable of the top 6! With a similar squad last season, Lambert did a far better job than Bowyer and results were better. Granted, there were some terrible performances, but there has been since and before his reign.

Our points per game this season is very similar to Bowyer's points per game in 2015-2016.

When you say Lambert 'couldn't hack it', I can't blame him for being unable to 'hack' Venky's incompetence at the top. Only yes men like Coyle would stand for it.

I can't understand why fans who want Venky's out can't also see why players/staff/managers wouldn't want to work underneath them. 

Just now, jim mk2 said:

The old saying is that even a stopped clock is right twice a day. The hands on Mercerman's clock have dropped off.

Just like they did when I posted on here about a potential change in Rovers ownership a few days before the Seneca 'thing' broke in the press !

TBH Jim, it's no longer worth the aggravation on here.

Just like they did when I posted on here about a potential change in Rovers ownership a few days before the Seneca 'thing' broke in the press !

Only a joke old chap - keep up the good work ! 

Please don't keep predicting easy Rovers wins though when they're clearly not going to happen. It's very aggravating. 

8 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

How predictable that you should bite it's just like the old days. I'd like to say iv'e missed you but well, you know :P

Bit odd you don't mention Lambert kept us up comfortably with GBs squad despite losing the 20 goal a season striker that almost single handedely kept the wolves from Gaz's door and our only decent left back. Such ingratitude ...tut tut

2 hours ago, Mercerman said:

Don'y let 'em grind you down Mercerman.  This board is a better place for your posts!

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

How predictable that you should bite it's just like the old days. I'd like to say iv'e missed you but well, you know :P

Bit odd you don't mention Lambert kept us up comfortably with GBs squad despite losing the 20 goal a season striker that almost single handedely kept the wolves from Gaz's door and our only decent left back. Such ingratitude ...tut tut

Rudy or Rhodes? Rudy had already gone iirc. That other 20 goal a season striker, Rhodes,  stopped scoring as soon as Lambert turned up. 

Lambert also signed 13 players in one window. Let's no rewrite history and claim Lambert only had GB's already starting-to-be dismantled squad to play with.

Such misplaced gratitude to a manager that didn't care less about Rovers...tut tut 

I think we can agree they were both better than Coyle.

3 hours ago, Mercerman said:

I heard the same things that Coyle didn't know anything about Senior coming in or did he want a director of football coming in. Coyle didn't signed any of his targets either in January plus Senior's comments about the poor summer recruitment that happened last summer.

Senior was watching Coyle very closely in the last 2 home games, I did posted when I heard his interview on Rovers player and the way he referred to Coyle has head coach and not manager. And other things he said make me believe that he wants his head coach in. He also said we should be doing better league wise, which I believe is right. The squad is good enough for lower mid table(13th-18th) at worst IMO, under the right head coach/manager with tactical awareness and knowledge.

I expect a change of head coach/manager shortly

3 hours ago, DE. said:

Lambert was bought in with a view of getting promotion that season.

Rumours are Coyle got the job because he was cheaper than Warnock

3 hours ago, Athlete said:

But what self respecting  manager would consider reporting into senior ??

None 

Senior can talk a good game and is saying all the right things and I agree with some of the things he has said. The things I agree with are lack of leadership in the team and the poor summer signings

Big Question can he walk the walk now? only time will tell

2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

or the bloke who beat Liverpool at Anfield the week before.

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

Rudy or Rhodes? Rudy had already gone iirc. That other 20 goal a season striker, Rhodes,  stopped scoring as soon as Lambert turned up. 

Lambert also signed 13 players in one window. Let's no rewrite history and claim Lambert only had GB's already starting-to-be dismantled squad to play with.

Such misplaced gratitude to a manager that didn't care less about Rovers...tut tut 

I think we can agree they were both better than Coyle.

Rhodes was never Lambert type of main striker. said this pretty much from day 1. He always wanted rid and bring in his own types of strikers. Always said he wanted to play a target man type with skilful strike/number 10. He signed Graham and Watt to play these positions. We only signed 7 players in the window. the other players we signed were Ward, Bennett, Jackson, Grimes and Gomez.

Archived