BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Coyle Out

Stuart

• Backroom
5 hours ago, JHRover said:

I'm sorry but I don't accept this. 'Individual errors' is just an excuse. Those clubs that succeed find ways of eliminating such things and managing the games to ensure that they either don't happen, only happen in areas where the damage is minimal, or only happen when they are 2 or 3 goals to the good.

The better managers eliminate these mistakes, either by coaching their players to not make them, or by dropping players who make them and bringing in ones who don't.

So either Coyle is incapable of eliminating these mistakes, or he won't drop those players responsible and bring in ones who don't make them.

Its happened far too many times this season for it to be bad luck (true to form, Simon Garner is in the Telegraph today saying he hopes Rovers luck has changed)

Its also happened too often in the first 20 minutes and the last 20 minutes. So many precious points dropped from good positions late on in games. Off the top of my head I can think of more than 10 points dropped in the latter stages - Leeds, Preston, Burton, Reading, Fulham, Huddersfield, Bristol City.

It reeks of poor fitness, poor discipline, poor game management, poor concentration. All things that the quality managers immediately identify and get to work on improving.

It isn't down to anything other than poor management and coaching. A lack of fitness also contributes because the players are dead on their feet in the dying minutes.

To paraphrase Clough:

Keep doing what you can do and don't bother trying what you can't do.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I agree with a lot of this. Apart from the twist part :P mostly because there are no good candidates out there. We will end up with someone worse than Coyle. I can almost guarantee that now. 

Everyone said that about Bowyer.

We should NOT stick with a known failure because the alternative might be a failure.

Every club in the world changes managers who are not performing to expectations on the field. Why does Blackburn Rovers have to be any different?

I know a couple of Birmingham fans who can't sing Rowett's praises enough. 

I know a Bolton fan who says Coyle was a disaster. I don't know any Wigan fans or Houston fans but I'd wager what their opinions would be.

Rowett took a side plummeting towards league 1 and turned around its fortunes. His win percentage is skewed by the fact Brum were so poor (and skint) when he went there so naturally struggled in his first games. I'd imagine his win ratio in his last 50% of games in charge of Birmingham was better than his first 50%. I bet that doesn't apply to Coyle in his last 3 jobs.

17 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Everyone said that about Bowyer.

We should NOT stick with a known failure because the alternative might be a failure.

Every club in the world changes managers who are not performing to expectations on the field. Why does Blackburn Rovers have to be any different?

derrrrr Stuart

Coyle has the team performing to expectations.

In line for a juicy summer bonus.

Outstanding Candidate.

Thats his bosses expectations

Not yours or mine

Just now, AndyW said:

derrrrr Stuart

Coyle has the team performing to expectations.

In line for a juicy summer bonus.

Outstanding Candidate.

Thats his bosses expectations

Not yours or mine

I knew someone would do that. That's why I said "on the field". Derrrr.

4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Lads what is it with all the profiles pictures of boobs? It's bad enough running the risk of been caught looking here when at work, without someone seeing me looking at boobs! 

Stop looking in the mirror then while u work (just kidding)

7 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

No, not really. Rowetts record isn't that impressive. Coyle had no transfer budget here and had to sell Hanley and Duffy. Far from easy for any manager to manage here over the past few years. I see nothing to suggest Rowett would do any better. 

Birmingham were three points off the play offs when Rowett left. Off the field issues, salary caps, face didn't fit, subsequent sacking. Tough working conditions whether you are a fan or not BigDog and he clearly did well.

We've been in the bottom three most of the season, conceeding three a lot of the time. 

You talk of no transfer budget, but neglect to mention our operating budget. We still wax millions on these players and it is up to Coyle to maximise resources. I for one fail to see how anyone could argue he has done that to full effect.

Why would I mention our operating budget?? Our operating budget seems to stretch to spending 250,000 plus signing frees and loans,whilst selling our best players year on year. No Coyle hasn't done well. We are in the bottom three. But let's not pretend that things are all rosy behind the scenes here either. 

If you said Warnock or someone like that,I'd say ya grand. But people's infatuation with Rowett baffles. I know he is the only half decent manager available with championship experience,but he isn't the special one. 

I truthfully believe we would get better results if we just put a Rovers legend in charge for the remainder of the season. Jansen? Anyone really. Salgado. Just bloody imagine being a young footballer and having Michel Salgado as your manager. A bloody galatico. If that didn't make you play nothing would. 

Side note - look at us now, we where signing players from Real Madrid less than 10 years ago. 

I know an awful lot of Wigan and Bolton fans and I'm yet to hear something remotely positive about coyle from either set. Just horrendous story after another. I had two Bolton fans and 3 Wigan fans ringing me laughing down the phone when it broke on sky sports news. Their not laughing now :unsure:

6 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Why would I mention our operating budget?? Our operating budget seems to stretch to spending 250,000 plus signing frees and loans,whilst selling our best players year on year. No Coyle hasn't done well. We are in the bottom three. But let's not pretend that things are all rosy behind the scenes here either. 

If you said Warnock or someone like that,I'd say ya grand. But people's infatuation with Rowett baffles. I know he is the only half decent manager available with championship experience,but he isn't the special one. 

Our operating budget is more than the one Rowett had. It was more than the one Bowyer had when he was worjing under an embargo. It matters, especially at a club where budgets are going to continue to be cut.

In the articles and interviews that appeared everywhere after his sacking it would appear that Rowett leaves no stone unturned in his efforts to make his team better. He'd study the opposition is forensic detail and give his players all the info they needed to nullify the oppositions strengths. I heard one reporter from the Brum area as saying he was 'almost OCD' in the way he prepared his team, and that a lot of their success came form this, allied to his man-management. They weren't always pretty to watch but Rowett had defending deep, not conceding and hitting teams on the break down to a fine art.

His players were no better than Wigans and no better than ours. He had no right to be anywhere near the play-offs. His team was greater than the sum of it's parts.  That's what good managers do. He's done it at both the clubs he's been at.

We have good strikers who are capable of scoring  goals in a team with no discernible pattern of play or organisation. Imagine having a manager that knew how to set up a team to defend properly? That's one of Rowett's strengths by all accounts. 

My 'infatuation' comes from knowing the above about him. 

6 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

If you are waiting for the special one you'd better expect a very long wait.

Not sure why some people always try to defend the indefensible by putting up a strawman argument.

Again, you don't stick with a manager who is relegating you because you can't bring in someone to take you into the play-offs.

Excellent post from blueboy, BDS I find it hard to understand why you don't get why Rowett is highly regarded on here and in the game, I'd be delighted if he came but also very suprised.  I remember he spoke very well when on the 5Live season preview that Bowyer was also on.  I remember GB complaining about the 10k wage limit from FFP and Rowett saying he wished he could spend that much, ( i read somewhere their cap was 5k) BCFC had a much better season still.

Coyle has been rubbish (not including the lies and general BS) from the first game, his coaching and tactical set up appears to be very limited.  One thing I led about Lambert was that he had a decent plan of how to play, the diamond worked well on occasion, don't see anything from OC.

There are worse managers out there I'm sure than even the present one but there are lots better.  Our squad, whilst limited, does have some decent to good Championship players, Graham, Gallagher, Mulgrew, Hoban are all good IMO and there are others that I'd argue are good enough to keep us up.... are the Burton or Wigan players better?

Even a (not great but) decent manager ( maybe someone like Kenny Jackett) with a little luck on the injury front should be able to keep us up.

Yes our squad has been made consistently poorer over the last few years- but is it much worse than mid table Barnsley or Preston or Brentford? Or a club on 4000 crowds in Burton?

There could be an argument to be made that the owners shouldn't be used an excuse for poor team performance, however I suppose we must, as said owners are continuing to employee an absymal manager that, in my opinion, is making an average squad for this level even less than the sum of its parts.

2 hours ago, blueboy3333 said:

Our operating budget is more than the one Rowett had. It was more than the one Bowyer had when he was worjing under an embargo. It matters, especially at a club where budgets are going to continue to be cut.

In the articles and interviews that appeared everywhere after his sacking it would appear that Rowett leaves no stone unturned in his efforts to make his team better. He'd study the opposition is forensic detail and give his players all the info they needed to nullify the oppositions strengths. I heard one reporter from the Brum area as saying he was 'almost OCD' in the way he prepared his team, and that a lot of their success came form this, allied to his man-management. They weren't always pretty to watch but Rowett had defending deep, not conceding and hitting teams on the break down to a fine art.

His players were no better than Wigans and no better than ours. He had no right to be anywhere near the play-offs. His team was greater than the sum of it's parts.  That's what good managers do. He's done it at both the clubs he's been at.

We have good strikers who are capable of scoring  goals in a team with no discernible pattern of play or organisation. Imagine having a manager that knew how to set up a team to defend properly? That's one of Rowett's strengths by all accounts. 

My 'infatuation' comes from knowing the above about him. 

I heard the piece on Rowett on Radio 5 also. I think it was by Pat Murphy. He was very impressed by his preparation and work ethic. Reminded me of how Hughes squeezed the most out of Rovers.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

So Rowett is the best candidate because he did a good interview once :)

Amazing how far or criteria for a good manager has fallen. 

Says the guy who thinks we should stick with Coyle just because.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

So Rowett is the best candidate because he did a good interview once :)

Amazing how far or criteria for a good manager has fallen. 

No, he's a hard working manager who has improved his last two Clubs. One of which was a basket case like ours.

Archived