BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Norwich City vs Rovers - 11/3/17

Just now, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Bowyer's biggest headache was building a team to suit Rhodes. As Den keeps mentioning the sum of the other parts would have been greater. Cairney, King playing off Gestede with Conway and Marshall providing ammo would have scared most teams in that division.

Couldn't agree more.  Still had the likes of Rochina and Dunn available to throw into that mix as well.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Argh, makes me angry thinking about the waisted opportunity with that team, add in Rochina & Judge as well. If only we had a proper manager.

Nail on head.

I think Bowyer's dad played a key part in identifying the players Bowyer brought to the club.

Sadly for us, I think Bowyer bottled it and was never a manager good enough to even get us into the top six.

Just now, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Bowyer's biggest headache was building a team to suit Rhodes. As Den keeps mentioning the sum of the other parts would have been greater. Cairney, King playing off Gestede with Conway and Marshall providing ammo would have scared most teams in that division.

Building a team to suit Rhodes?????

:lol::lol:

History is fully re-written.

1 hour ago, RV Blue said:

This still feels like 2 points dropped I'm afraid. Putting Akpan on for Guthrie was criminal, Guthrie was the only one in that team yesterday who can keep the ball, which is vital against 10 men. Mowbray needs to learn that fast. Hopefully Evans comes in for Lowe soon as well.

I thought Guthrie was running on empty yesterday - too many games in such a short time after being frozen out by Coyle finally caught up with him.  Another of Coyle's many mistakes.

I listened to TM's post match comments about Rovers lacking "game management" skills after getting ahead in the game and the intention to address this in detail in training. It was really interesting to listen to such analysis and frank honesty on current shortcomings.

Ironic that the early and brave substitutions appear to then become a factor in weaking defensively our left side allowing the equaliser. Rome wasn't built in a day or indeed in a month.

29 minutes ago, Gav said:

No need to apologies, we all get wrong from time to time, even me :P

Lambert was a proper manager in my opinion, but now that we have a proper manager in most peoples eyes, Jason is still the first name on the team sheet Rv?

He's only been here a couple of weeks, give it time! A few months left on his contract and there's not even been any talk about us offering him one/any desire from our fans to offer him one/any other clubs interested in him, need I say more?

Just now, Parsonblue said:

I thought Guthrie was running on empty yesterday - too many games in such a short time after being frozen out by Coyle finally caught up with him.  Another of Coyle's many mistakes.

I rate him but I think Guthrie has always been a player who lacks natural fitness. He has to be injury free, training and playing regularily to be fit.

If not in sport I suspect Guthrie would be a bit fat.

4 minutes ago, Mercerman said:

Nail on head.

I think Bowyer's dad played a key part in identifying the players Bowyer brought to the club.

Sadly for us, I think Bowyer bottled it and was never a manager good enough to even get us into the top six.

Yep. He is currently managing a midtable League 2 side, which truth be told is probably his level.

2 hours ago, Stuart said:

The bigger miss has been Josh King. That one is certainly a black mark against Bowyer. Criminal how he was treated.

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Faking injury didn't help his chances of a first team call up, allegedly. 

While I of course agree it's a shame we couldn't hang on to King, tough as it can be with out-of-contract players (we reportedly got £1.5-2M through the tribunal, which isn't that bad actually, but beside the point...), I've noticed a funny rehabilitation of his image since his departure. When he was with us, he was constantly injured, made of glass, all pace and no head, etc. I even remember one game thread where a poster confidently said he had seen King in a pub during the game and he didn't look injured. Cue the outrage.

Since he left, he wasn't an injury-prone slacker, Bowyer just wasn't picking him apparently. That magnificent hattrick against Stoke in the FA Cup suddenly glossed over his many indifferent performances up onto that point. His failure to contribute as an 'impact sub' clearly just meant he was destined to be a starter all along...

Funny looking back he was actually originally a Henning Berg loan signing, and his transfer was confirmed with Bowyer as interim. Who knows whose handywork was on that one anyway.

Anyway, credit to him for becoming a solid contributor at Bournemouth (though the injuries have continued), I admittedly had my doubts when he left, but his breakout potential was never as obvious as some now like to think.

5 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

He's only been here a couple of weeks, give it time! A few months left on his contract and there's not even been any talk about us offering him one/any desire from our fans to offer him one/any other clubs interested in him, need I say more?

The contract situation is due to us having inept owners, we have a few out of contract this summer, Marshall and Duffy walked due to the owners ignoring Lamberts plea for new deals.

It was in the Birmingham Evening Mail a few weeks back that West Brom are interested in Lowe.

I would imagine Mowbray will offer him a new deal, doubt he'll sign it with Premiership suitors though Rv, so you and many others may well get your wish.

2 hours ago, Parsonblue said:

Travelling down to Norwich and everyone was saying how a point would be a great result.  Coming home we were all left frustrated and disappointed at only getting a point.  Such is football.  Credit to Norwich who defended exceptionally well and then exploited the fact that we had had to flood our team with attacking players to get back into the game.  Sadly, it was two points given away due to mistakes - Steele for the first and then the left side not being able to deal with a swift counter-attack.  Mowbray continues to impress with his ability to use his subs early to change a game - something which Coyle was incapable of doing.  I just hope we haven't left it too late with the change of manager as it's looking like this is going to go down to the last couple of games. 

Parson, how did Lenihan and Hoban play together as a pairing? Also how did Joao and Graham play upfront when Joao came on?

Just to confirm.

Bowyer was at fault for not getting us promotion as we had a 40+ goal strikeforce in Rhodes and Rudy.  But Bowyer was also at fault for not breaking up the Rhodes and Rudy  40+ goal strikeforce and playing Josh King more. The same Josh King that was always injured, except when the camera's were here.

Is this correct?

10 minutes ago, Parsonblue said:

I did say this yesterday that Guthrie has played 5 games in 15 days. Started everyone aswell. When was the last time he did this?

21 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Building a team to suit Rhodes?????

:lol::lol:

History is fully re-written.

It's absolute cobblers infact many of the arguments at the time centered around GB not knowing how to set up to play to Rhodes strengths and how JR was usually feeding off scraps.He'd have had 40 a season if the team was soley centered on him, i'd say the season GB got potted the team was more focused on Rhodes than it had ever been because he'd lost the others like TC & Rudy. Rhodes had more chances in those few months than in almost the whole previous season, sadly he'd lost his touch and his head had left the building.

When Rudy was here the first thought was go direct to him which provoked many moans and often had Rhodes stood there like a spare part.

You've got to chuckle at these selective memories B)

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Parson, how did Lenihan and Hoban play together as a pairing? Also how did Joao and Graham play upfront when Joao came on?

Lenihan and Hoban played very well but we perhaps lacked that experience of Mulgrew in terms of organising those around them.  The changes saw Bennett move to wing-back in place of Nyambe at half-time to allow Mahoney on the right wing.  Akpan was a straight swap for Guthrie and Joao came on to replace Feeney on the left wing.  Graham and Emnes were the strike force although both drifted out wide at times.  Having Joao and Williams on the left was fine going forward but not when Norwich attacked down that flank.  Pleased with the subs though as Mowbray went for a positive result and almost got it.

Lenihan and Hoban played very well but we perhaps lacked that experience of Mulgrew in terms of organising those around them.  The changes saw Bennett move to wing-back in place of Nyambe at half-time to allow Mahoney on the right wing.  Akpan was a straight swap for Guthrie and Joao came on to replace Feeney on the left wing.  Graham and Emnes were the strike force although both drifted out wide at times.  Having Joao and Williams on the left was fine going forward but not when Norwich attacked down that flank.  Pleased with the subs though as Mowbray went for a positive result and almost got it.

Were you impressed with Joao, apart from his goals? How did Mahoney play, was he leading the full-back a merry dance?

Thanks for the reply. 

How did Joao do apart from the goals? Bennett do well at Right back? Was Nyambe poor? How was Mahoney? Good impact on the game apart from the assist?

29 minutes ago, RoverCanada said:

Anyway, credit to him for becoming a solid contributor at Bournemouth (though the injuries have continued), I admittedly had my doubts when he left, but his breakout potential was never as obvious as some now like to think.

Plenty on here thought it was obvious. Bowyer didn't.

Players mature as they get older - King had obvious ability but certainly wasn't the finished article with us like he looks now. Same with Bentley - the potential was there with Arsenal and Norwich but he blossomed at Ewood. Players sometimes need to move on to realise their full ability and I wouldn't blame Bowyer for not getting the best out of King because he just wasn't ready at the time. I wouldn't be surprised if King gets a big money move in the summer. 

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Players mature as they get older - King had obvious ability but certainly wasn't the finished article with us like he looks now. Same with Bentley - the potential was there with Arsenal and Norwich but he blossomed at Ewood. Players sometimes need to move on to realise their full ability and I wouldn't blame Bowyer for not getting the best out of King because he just wasn't ready at the time. I wouldn't be surprised if King gets a big money move in the summer. 

Good Post. 

36 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Thanks for the reply. 

How did Joao do apart from the goals? Bennett do well at Right back? Was Nyambe poor? How was Mahoney? Good impact on the game apart from the assist?

47 minutes ago, blueboy3333 said:

Were you impressed with Joao, apart from his goals? How did Mahoney play, was he leading the full-back a merry dance?

Nyambe did fine, but Bennett offered a different type of attacking role from full-back, having played wing-back during his time at Bristol City.  Joao scored two goals and hit the post so I suppose you could say he did all that was asked of him.  Will always be behind Graham, Emnes and Gallagher in terms of starting.  Mahoney's crossing was generally indifferent to be honest and like so often with the Under-23's blew hot and cold during the game.

2 hours ago, Gav said:

The contract situation is due to us having inept owners, we have a few out of contract this summer, Marshall and Duffy walked due to the owners ignoring Lamberts plea for new deals.

It was in the Birmingham Evening Mail a few weeks back that West Brom are interested in Lowe.

I would imagine Mowbray will offer him a new deal, doubt he'll sign it with Premiership suitors though Rv, so you and many others may well get your wish.

I hope so. Yesterday again showed he offers nothing that a decent free transfer wouldn't.

1 hour ago, Parsonblue said:

Nyambe did fine, but Bennett offered a different type of attacking role from full-back, having played wing-back during his time at Bristol City.  Joao scored two goals and hit the post so I suppose you could say he did all that was asked of him.  Will always be behind Graham, Emnes and Gallagher in terms of starting.  Mahoney's crossing was generally indifferent to be honest and like so often with the Under-23's blew hot and cold during the game.

Mahoney's contribution yesterday did not live up to the hype. I doubt that bigger clubs (including Barnsley?!) will be breaking down the doors in the summer.  

Archived