[Archived] Brighton a tough test

• Backroom
9 hours ago, RV Blue said:

.....................Steele

Nyambe Lenihan Mulgrew Williams

....Bennett Guthrie Lowe Conway

.......................Emnes

........................Joao

Same as Preston for me. If we get to 60ish minutes and either drawing or winning I would take Emnes off, put Bennett in the middle and put Feeney out wide. Please only bring Mahoney on if we need a goal Mowbray!

I'd be happy with this, but tempted to start Mahoney in place of Conway for 3 reasons:

1. Sweeten him to sign that contract.

2. Start on the front foot (like you, I see him as a good attacking threat).

3. Throw Brighton off their game by starting someone they'd expect to be a sub.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Mike E said:

I'd be happy with this, but tempted to start Mahoney in place of Conway for 3 reasons:

1. Sweeten him to sign that contract.

2. Start on the front foot (like you, I see him as a good attacking threat).

3. Throw Brighton off their game by starting someone they'd expect to be a sub.

I'd be worried about him and Nyambe on one side, Bennett provides good protection for him. He doesn't seem to be able to play on the left for some reason.

• Backroom
Just now, RV Blue said:

I'd be worried about him and Nyambe on one side, Bennett provides good protection for him. He doesn't seem to be able to play on the left for some reason.

It's a weird one tbh, you'd think he'd prefer to play on the left.

1 hour ago, matt83 said:

Anyone know of any decent pubs in Brighton? Vaguely near the station. 

I've only ever been to one which is a great little pub. "The Bugle" nice and friendly clientele. Probably miles from the ground. Don't know where the station is.

17 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Mahoney is a two-footed player and can play on both wings. He DOES need to improve his defence play.

37 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

Bennett played well when he was switched to the left in the 2nd half at Fulham and provided cover for the truly awful Williams. I don't know why people harp on about Nyambe when Williams is one of the worst full backs I've seen in a Rovers shirt. 

1 hour ago, jim mk2 said:

Bennett played well when he was switched to the left in the 2nd half at Fulham and provided cover for the truly awful Williams. I don't know why people harp on about Nyambe when Williams is one of the worst full backs I've seen in a Rovers shirt. 

Was talking about Mahoney. I agree Williams is poor but I am more confident in him defensively than Nyambe.

5 hours ago, matt83 said:

Anyone know of any decent pubs in Brighton? Vaguely near the station. 

Try The Railway Bell matt, been plenty of Rovers in there for the past couple of years, decent choice of beers. Couple of my pals are heading for there and meeting up with some London based Rovers. Relatively close for the train shuttle to and from the Amex. Hope you have a great day.

Steele

Hoban Lenihan Mulgrew

Nyambe                                         Williams

Lowe Guthrie Akpan

Emnes  Joao

9 hours ago, darrenrover said:

Try The Railway Bell matt, been plenty of Rovers in there for the past couple of years, decent choice of beers. Couple of my pals are heading for there and meeting up with some London based Rovers. Relatively close for the train shuttle to and from the Amex. Hope you have a great day.

Cheers. Funny to think last time I was in Brighton (not watching rovers) was only 5 or 6 years ago Brighton were averaging 6,000 and had been for past 2 decades now averaging 25,000. 

The Venkys reign if a different animal and while I expect nothing today it gives me hope a club can be turned around.  

38 minutes ago, philipl said:

Ground is quite a distance from the main station in Brighton

Yeah I believe falmer is the nearest stop. But think we'll get a taxi. 

Just now, Dunnfc said:

Steele

Hoban Lenihan Mulgrew

Nyambe                                         Williams

Lowe Guthrie Akpan

Emnes  Joao

That's an interesting line up Dunnfc. The only tweak might be playing Bennett in there and dropping Lowe, as Akpan can do Lowe's job more effectively than Lowe himself. Can't see Lowe being dropped though sadly. 

I think your team could nick something there.

• Backroom
Just now, RV Blue said:

Bennett has to play, arguably our best (most effective) player. Really like him.

He strikes me as playing very much like Steven Reid. Certainly seems like a reliable driving force in the centre.

2 hours ago, matt83 said:

Cheers. Funny to think last time I was in Brighton (not watching rovers) was only 5 or 6 years ago Brighton were averaging 6,000 and had been for past 2 decades now averaging 25,000. 

The Venkys reign if a different animal and while I expect nothing today it gives me hope a club can be turned around.  

Yeah I believe falmer is the nearest stop. But think we'll get a taxi. 

Brighton expecting their biggest ever gate at Amex today according to their twitter, 29500 home fans plus whatever Rovers take. Could work one or two ways I suppose and if they get in front early they may take some stopping. Hopefully the huge weight of expectation can get to them.

Nice to see them getting that kind of support although it is rather odd where they've all come from all of a sudden, must be a bit of a novelty club with thousands of London day trippers. I was reading the other day they once struggled to take 20k to an FA cup final replay v Man U a long time ago. I remember them at the Goldstone ground and crowds never seemed that big at all. Always had them down as a similar fanbase type club to us although obviously with the size of Brighton the potential was there.

Archived