BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Previous Game: Bristol City Easter Monday

Paul

2 hours ago, Paul said:

That's simply not true. If we are relegated it could have a huge impact on our survival as a club. There is a significant difference between being a Championship club and one in Division 1.

The only thing having a huge impact on our survival as a club is bloody Venkys.

We manage to stay up...what then,more of the same shyte next season?

Feckin Circus.

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

We still have Venkys running this Circus PB...in the cold light of day 'hope' is in very short supply.

Don't let one win cloud your judgement.

Look at it this way SG. When Venkys go, we need to be in the highest league we can be.  

☝️

This is a MUST, MUST, oh and one more MUST win, esp with everyone picking up points and our tough finish (Villa, Wolves and Brentford arent going to roll over)

I absolutely understand the boycotts etc, but good on all those temporarily coming back - the players need the backing.

Come on Rovers, another big win!

@Dunnfc  I don't like quoting long posts especially when the content is largely meaningless. We all know it's very simple, Venkys and the debt are the problem. Quite what else you're attempting to say is a mystery to me.

The solution is for Venky's to sell. If you believe a Division 1 club is a more attractive purchase than a Championship club that's you're choice. It's not one I can logically agree with. 

I cannot agree with any fan who doesn't care if we are relegated or not. It seems you don't care, says it all for me. 

3 hours ago, Gav said:

I couldn't disagree more Paul, you could have a point if we found ourselves on a level playing field, but under the current ownership staying up or going down makes not the blindest bit of difference in my opinion.

Its a race to the bottom and they couldn't care less about who they destroy along the way.

GAV for me every division we drop makes it harder to get back. The lower we fall the less likely Rovers will ever return to the PL. So staying up is vital. If the club didn't know that Mowbray would not be here. 

I don't think it's a race to the bottom but you're right Venkys don't care who is hurt along the way. 

2 hours ago, SIMON GARNERS 194 said:

The only thing having a huge impact on our survival as a club is bloody Venkys.

We manage to stay up...what then,more of the same shyte next season?

Feckin Circus.

I don't know why people think Venky's will leave if we get relegated. Have they indicated they will ?

6 hours ago, Mercer said:

We need to win more than Bristol City do and that will be the difference.

3-1 to Rovers.

Just like the Barnsley game, eh ?

Rovers have a history going back decades of flunking these big matches - at both ends of the table.

Bristol will win at a canter 2-0.

Big game, fingers crossed.

If fans supporting the team helps, then we should all have been there all year. Maybe we would be higher placed if so.

I won't be attending, but it is clear that for the benefit of everyone at the club, plus the local community, it is vital we remain in this division.

Mowbray and the players have done very well. We would have been down already under Coyle. Credit where it is due.

12 hours ago, JohnD said:

I volunteered to do a preview of this match. Not sure if it's still needed but here it is, apologies if it's too long and boring.

Easter Monday 17th April home v Bristol City

Todays win at Nottingham Forest was extremely welcome and gives us hope of a great escape. They are all 6 pointers now and we simply must beat Bristol City.

I confess that I know nothing about The Robins but google tells me that they hold (jointly) the record for the most consecutive wins 14 in the 2nd Division 1905/06. In 1907 they finished runners up in Division One and that remains their highest finish. I believe that they also hold the unenviable record of the longest spell of league football without regaining top flight status. They appeared in one FA Cup Final, 1909 where they lost 1-0 to Man Utd. In 1982 they became the first English club to suffer three consecutive relegations when they fell into the 4th Division and were declared bankrupt.

BCFC (1982) Ltd acquired the club's player contracts and the 7 most senior and highest paid players agreed to the termination of their contracts for half pay, it is alleged that Danny Murphy wasn’t one of the seven. The club failed to pay their debts to many local businesses and struggled to gain further credit because of the ill feeling towards them. It’s good to see a football club come back from near extinction. Their most notable player is arguably John Atyeo.

Two Rovers records were set against The Robins, Highest number of goals scored by a player in one match - Tommy Briggs, 7 v Bristol Rovers, Ewood Park, Division 2, February 5th 1955 and the youngest palyer ever to appear for Rovers was Harry Dennison, aged 16yrs, 155 days v Bristol City (h) Division 1, 8th April 1911

Players who have played for both Rovers and City include Frank Fielding, Derrick Williams, Elliot Bennett, Bradley Orr (boo, hiss), Andy Cole and Jason Roberts.

Head to head Rovers have won 14 drawn 10 and lost 17

I’ve been to most clubs home grounds but never to Ashton Gate. The last time I watched Rovers play City was 22nd November 1969 when we drew 3-3. Rovers team (according to the program) Blacklaw, Kopel, Wilson, Hunter, Mulvaney, Knighton, Connelly, Metcalfe, Martin, Rogers, Darling. Prior to the match Rovers were second in division two. Can anyone help me out with the scorers that day?

I always get predictions wrong so am going for a 2-1 loss with the winning goal coming late in the game. COYB!

Thanks for the preview a good read.

10 hours ago, Paul said:

GAV for me every division we drop makes it harder to get back. The lower we fall the less likely Rovers will ever return to the PL. So staying up is vital. If the club didn't know that Mowbray would not be here. 

I don't think it's a race to the bottom but you're right Venkys don't care who is hurt along the way. 

Apologies that it's not the right thread to debate this in.

We have many permutations to our dire situation as you know Paul, but unless we have £120m debt to service, I for one am in no rush to get back to the PL to be quite honest.

I also firmly believe that a club with our stadium, training facilities, fan base and history becomes more attractive the lower down the leagues we fall, also with that comes a cheaper sale price and more interested parties.

But like I said we have so many permutations to our situation under this lot that the above changes depending upon circumstance at point of sale, and no guarantees they'll sell anyway. 

I'm all for staying in this league,I don't want the ignominy of lower league football.Hope to God we win this massive game.

I won't 'celebrate' if we stay up,that is no achievement for a club like ours.I'm looking at the bigger picture and everything looks like Venkys still being here swinging their wrecking ball without a care.

A bleak future regardless of whether we stay up or not.

1 hour ago, Gav said:

Apologies that it's not the right thread to debate this in.

We have many permutations to our dire situation as you know Paul, but unless we have £120m debt to service, I for one am in no rush to get back to the PL to be quite honest.

I also firmly believe that a club with our stadium, training facilities, fan base and history becomes more attractive the lower down the leagues we fall, also with that comes a cheaper sale price and more interested parties.

But like I said we have so many permutations to our situation under this lot that the above changes depending upon circumstance at point of sale, and no guarantees they'll sell anyway. 

Bang on about the cheaper sale price which was a point i should have made. Stay up this year and we will get relegated next season, we have NEVER improved under these lot, each season generally being worse bar the Bowyer first year (outlier). Six million budget cuts on the way, a growing debt to service at around 12-14% percent of turnover next year in interest not repayment alone... 

gree with any fan who doesn't care if we are relegated or not. It seems you don't care, says it all for me

No I don't care if we are relegated Paul. Said it before and largely is echoed above, nothing will improve under these idiots. The boom and largely bust cycle of supporting Rovers is well under way. 

11 hours ago, Paul said:

It's not all about the Premier league it's about being as competitive and the best we can in whatever league we are in. In fact screw the Prem it's a load of over rated over priced tosh. I love the Championship but one day soon even that might be a pipe dream, anyway.....

Back to earth with a bump on Monday ? Nope the great escape is on :rover:

Rovers 2   Bristol City 1

Just now, Dunnfc said:

Bang on about the cheaper sale price which was a point i should have made. Stay up this year and we will get relegated next season, we have NEVER improved under these lot, each season generally being worse bar the Bowyer first year (outlier). Six million budget cuts on the way, a growing debt to service at around 12-14% percent of turnover next year in interest not repayment alone... 

No I don't care if we are relegated Paul. Said it before and largely is echoed above, nothing will improve under these idiots. The boom and largely bust cycle of supporting Rovers is well under way. 

Just as a matter of interest, I see there is an article in the Guardian this morning quoting the worst owners in football.  Of course we feature heavily along with Coventry, Orient, and surprisingly Arsenal but maybe they are there because of absentee owners.  Still just a little bit more publicity, which can only be good.

I'm a little worried about the Bristol game if I'm honest, we beat Forest away from home in a very resilient kind of a performance, which was great to see, however we are playing a Bristol side who have won their last two game quite well playing as the dominant side and have shown a decent amount of hunger too. 

I reckon it be a draw both teams will be tentative and won't want to lose it. There won't be much between both teams I'm just hoping we have the confidence to go out and get a result.

hope we win but predict 1-1 draw

End of the the day the reason Rovers, Bristol CITY and Forest are down at the bottom is that we aren't good enough to consistently put in performances.

Forest had played well by all accounts for a few weeks before yesterday. Bristol City have often followed up good home wins with hammerings away. So nothing to fear.

Monday won't decide anything, although a win would be wonderful. With Birmingham playing Burton on Monday too and Forest away at Cardiff, even a Rovers defeat will leave us in there with a chance. Obviously something from the game, will give us a better chance though.

Mowbray generally doesn't tamper with a winning team so I expect an identical starting 11. 

Bristol are decent and I honestly think we will lose narrowly but expect that there will still be all to play for after the final whistle. 

I will be disappointed if he brings Steele back and I would like to see Stokes given more game time. Our forwards are struggling for goals and I think Mahoney can be good for Stokes.

Personally I would go:

Raya

Nyambe Ward Hoban Williams

Mahoney Akpan Guthrie Bennett

Stokes Emnes

my team would be the same as yesterday but Drop Feeney and Gallagher for Stokes and Joao.

Raya

Nyambe Ward Hoban

Bennett Lowe Akpan Williams

Mahoney     Stokes

Joao

Archived