BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Previous Game: Bristol City Easter Monday

Paul

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

my team would be the same as yesterday but Drop Feeney and Gallagher for Stokes and Joao.

Raya

Nyambe Ward Hoban

Bennett Lowe Akpan Williams

Mahoney     Stokes

Joao

I am pretty sure Stokes has never played on the wing in his career. Why put him there? 

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I am pretty sure Stokes has never played on the wing in his career. Why put him there? 

Firstly, he isnt on the wing. He is in the 10 role with Mahoney. 2 number 10 like Spurs do at times. England did it against Germany. 

Secondly, Stokes has played on the left wing of a 3 man strikeforce before. Look at last season for Hibs in the cup final he was outstanding in that. 

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Firstly, he isnt on the wing. He is in the 10 role with Mahoney. 2 number 10 like Spurs do at times. England did it against Germany. 

Secondly, Stokes has played on the left wing of a 3 man strikeforce before. Look at last season for Hibs in the cup final he was outstanding in that. 

So we have no wingers?

Stokes strength is as a finisher and being strong and holding off defenders in the box. He needs to play as an out and out striker. 

14 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

I don't know why people think Venky's will leave if we get relegated. Have they indicated they will ?

Same boat here jim.  No ide where ht notion came from but a handful seem to be hanging their hats on it.

How long since Bristol won away, do they have a player that has not scored for donkey's years?  We Rovers fans know we cure whatever is ailing the opposition.  We also know how good we are at bringing us back down with a bump.  If Mowbray can exorcise these demons and give us a win Monday then his stock rises,  we NEED this one.

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

So we have no wingers?

Stokes strength is as a finisher and being strong and holding off defenders in the box. He needs to play as an out and out striker. 

the Width comes from the wing backs in Bennett and Williams. Mahoney and Stokes play in the 10 role and roam around to find the space. Look at the way Spurs play it.

Stokes played the same role for the under 23's on Monday.

Stokes isn't a number 9 striker like a Graham or Gallagher

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I actually think he has played on the wing quite regularly in his career. You wouldn't have thought so looking at him though.

.................Raya

Nyambe Ward Hoban Williams

Feeney Akpan Guthrie Mahoney

................Bennett

..............Stokes/Joao

If Feeney plays, he has to play wide right. He's literally just got one move, create a bit of space and cross it. Bennett and Mahoney should be swapping positions regularly as well.

• Backroom
18 minutes ago, USABlue said:

Same boat here jim.  No ide where ht notion came from but a handful seem to be hanging their hats on it.

Sounds 'hopeful', but the oy logic I can find is this:

We're at a point where we're taking high-interest, short-term loans secured against money that isn't guaranteed. Ie: we're up the swanny unless Venky's stump up some money (which they have done only once since their arrival - Jordan Rhodes).

If we're in such financial woe and are relegated to L1, then it's even less income.

If we get to a point where staff are being paid late or not at all, we may also struggle with tax. Then HMRC can force us into admin.

Maybe?

Just now, Mike E said:

Sounds 'hopeful', but the oy logic I can find is this:

We're at a point where we're taking high-interest, short-term loans secured against money that isn't guaranteed. Ie: we're up the swanny unless Venky's stump up some money (which they have done only once since their arrival - Jordan Rhodes).

If we're in such financial woe and are relegated to L1, then it's even less income.

If we get to a point where staff are being paid late or not at all, we may also struggle with tax. Then HMRC can force us into admin.

Maybe?

Unfortunately I fear they would just  scale back the wages on the playing side to make us a team of kids and low level journeymen, shut a stand or something and we'd continue to bob along on a downward spiral.

1 hour ago, USABlue said:

How long since Bristol won away, do they have a player that has not scored for donkey's years?  We Rovers fans know we cure whatever is ailing the opposition.  We also know how good we are at bringing us back down with a bump.  If Mowbray can exorcise these demons and give us a win Monday then his stock rises,  we NEED this one

It was 11th March 1-0 at Wigan. Mind you the win before that was in September!

Just now, renrag said:

Because of my determination not to put another penny into the Venky's coffers,  this is the first season since the end of WW2 that I have not attended a game at Ewood. I have to admit to being sorely tempted to go against my principles and break the embargo. It's a heartbreaking decision to be made over the weekend.

Just do it! Venky's aren't putting in or taking out money anyway, and by going you're making the club more attractive to potential buyers!

Just now, renrag said:

Because of my determination not to put another penny into the Venky's coffers,  this is the first season since the end of WW2 that I have not attended a game at Ewood. I have to admit to being sorely tempted to go against my principles and break the embargo. It's a heartbreaking decision to be made over the weekend.

That's a pretty amazing record. Don't let the Venky's break your run, they really aren't worth it.

22 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

by going you're making the club more attractive to potential buyers!

I don't get this at all... seen it from a few now. If you want to go just go, but this is a complete myth, no need to try and justify yourselves for going either, just enjoy.

A multi million pounds footballing institution with previous up until two years ago the capabilities to attract a core 15.5k average at home at this level. A publicized massive hate for it's existing owners and several smaller initiatives in align with other clubs facing similar issues i.e NAPM/Boycotting/Leavers is eroding the fan base, any half interested potential party would be well aware of this, it's not as if it's difficult to research it either. 

A new owner walking in under any illusion would simply see a sharp rise in attendees and that is just on the account of them not being Venkys. Buying a multi million business isn't going to be decided because a few Peter and Pauls have gotten down to Ewood recently, no-one purchasing the club will care. Rovers will have a database of whom has purchased what ticket or corporate package over the years and as such the new owners will be able to target all fans to come back to Ewood with offers, initiatives and various approaches as you've seen with the big six and big four episodes recently there is always a way to build the support especially in a town like Blackburn where no disrespect to the good people or the town but faces a lack of competition in regards to what people usually do on a Saturday in the area and that is take the kids to a game or meet guys have a drink and go the game.

It's not as if it's Manchester and has XYZ+ on it's doorstep and an ever changing demographic of fans based on tourism it's a town full of fans staunched in generation after generation in the club.

It's like the £16,000 myth Greg Coar recently tried pushing, that would be the 8k average paying just £2.00 a ticket each game. He coincidentally forgot to take into account the 1.8 million pounds worth of around 6,000 fans paying circa £15.00 a ticket every game for there ST. 

1 minute ago, broadsword said:

He already has broken his run? 

:(

Not if he/she goes Monday. I wouldn't break that record for those idiots even if it meant facing away from the pitch for 90 minutes!

Come on Rovers. Feck off Venky's should be Mondays mantra at the ground.

Just now, Dunnfc said:

I don't get this at all... seen it from a few now. If you want to go just go, but this is a complete myth, no need to try and justify yourselves for going either, just enjoy.

A multi million pounds footballing institution with previous up until two years ago the capabilities to attract a core 15.5k average at home at this level. A publicized massive hate for it's existing owners and several smaller initiatives in align with other clubs facing similar issues i.e NAPM/Boycotting/Leavers is eroding the fan base, any half interested potential party would be well aware of this, it's not as if it's difficult to research it either. 

A new owner walking in under any illusion would simply see a sharp rise in attendees and that is just on the account of them not being Venkys. Buying a multi million business isn't going to be decided because a few Peter and Pauls have gotten down to Ewood recently, no-one purchasing the club will care. Rovers will have a database of whom has purchased what ticket or corporate package over the years and as such the new owners will be able to target all fans to come back to Ewood with offers, initiatives and various approaches as you've seen with the big six and big four episodes recently there is always a way to build the support especially in a town like Blackburn where no disrespect to the good people or the town but faces a lack of competition in regards to what people usually do on a Saturday in the area and that is take the kids to a game or meet guys have a drink and go the game.

It's not as if it's Manchester and has XYZ+ on it's doorstep and an ever changing demographic of fans based on tourism it's a town full of fans staunched in generation after generation in the club.

It's like the £16,000 myth Greg Coar recently tried pushing, that would be the 8k average paying just £2.00 a ticket each game. He coincidentally forgot to take into account the 1.8 million pounds worth of around 6,000 fans paying circa £15.00 a ticket every game for there ST. 

I'm not trying to justify my decision, my decision is the correct decision. All I'm doing is trying to convince a fellow fan to go to the most important game in recent memory... is that really wrong of me?

"Buying a multi million business isn't going to be decided because a few Peter and Pauls have gotten down to Ewood recently."

Yeah and Venky's aren't going to decide to leave because a few Peter and Paul's aren't buying tickets anymore...

Just now, RV Blue said:

I'm not trying to justify my decision, my decision is the correct decision. All I'm doing is trying to convince a fellow fan to go to the most important game in recent memory... is that really wrong of me?

"Buying a multi million business isn't going to be decided because a few Peter and Pauls have gotten down to Ewood recently."

Yeah and Venky's aren't going to decide to leave because a few Peter and Paul's aren't buying tickets anymore...

As you know the point i was making was your claims that attending your making the club more attractive to potencial buyers as quoted from your post and below again.

by going you're making the club more attractive to potential buyers!

There isn't a "correct" decision as you put it, people have different beliefs at the moment on what they believe themselves to be the right thing. Have a bit of respect, if the poster in question wants to go then he can go, no one is going to judge him for it.

No but they will be able to mortgage against you. 

Just now, Dunnfc said:

As you know the point i was making was your claims that attending your making the club more attractive to potencial buyers as quoted from your post and below again.

There isn't a "correct" decision as you put it, people have different beliefs at the moment on what they believe themselves to be the right thing. Have a bit of respect, if the poster in question wants to go then he can go, no one is going to judge him for it.

No but they will be able to mortgage against you. 

I meant that it is the correct decision for me, because I believe it is best for Blackburn Rovers if I go, I don't have to justify anything. Just like not going is the correct decision for you, because you believe it is best for Blackburn Rovers for you not to go. Obviously it won't make the club much (if any) more attractive to potential buyers if you turn up, but likewise, boycotting doesn't make it much (if any) more likely that Venky's will leave.

Got chatting to a Bristol City fan tonight as I'm down in the SW visiting the folks. He says the feeling amongst their fans is Monday is a 'must not lose' as opposed to our 'must win' mindset. They'll be looking to keep it very tight and be happy for it to be a boring affair. An early goal for us would be just the tonic.

Archived