BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Scottish Football

3 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Without straying too far into old firm willy waving territory, I doubt what the Lisbon Lions achieved in 1967 will ever be surpassed - and that isn't taking anything away from Rangers 2022 whatsoever. What was the stat - all players apart from one were born within about 10 miles of Celtic Park? Incredible. 

Fair point, especially the 10 mile stat. My main point is that back in that era you had teams like Feyenoord, Belgrade,  Panathanaikos and Saint Etienne in European Cup finals. The playing field was more level across Europe with less emphasis on money and power. Now it’s geared to allow the richer teams to progress, and have second chances by introducing league stages and dropping from one comp to another. The Europa League hasn’t left Spain or England for the last 10 years.

I suspect Rangers would have been less likely to win this competition back in August than Celtic in to win the European Cup in 1967.

• Like 1

I see "The Blue Brazil" got relegated out of the Scottish League proper for (I think) the first time in my lifetime.

As a child I was always fascinated by the fixture Cowdenbeath v Stenhousemuir; strange names to me.

12 minutes ago, bazza said:

I see "The Blue Brazil" got relegated out of the Scottish League proper for (I think) the first time in my lifetime.

As a child I was always fascinated by the fixture Cowdenbeath v Stenhousemuir; strange names to me.

It will be, they've only had relegation from the fourth division into the leagues below for a decade or so now. It being a play-off, they're only the fourth team from the 'traditional' 42 to go, however none have ever come particularly close to making a return. 

I completely agree with the names by the way, I was always taken in by the likes of Queen of the South and Albion Rovers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silas said:

Spoken like a man that has never met a British football fan. As if temperature would ever make a difference to how much is drunk. 

Guessing he missed the flare poking out someone's backside. 

It's an old trope saying that British ale is warm. Every pint I've ever bought has been nice and cold.

I wonder if it has something to do with ale being stored in cellars? Or colonial days when it was shipped across oceans?

Don’t get me wrong here, Blackburn Rovers are certainly no Rangers for many reasons. Rangers were in administration 10yrs ago, they’re tonight in Europa League final, give me administration right now to get rid of these useless bloody owners. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, GHR said:

It will be, they've only had relegation from the fourth division into the leagues below for a decade or so now. It being a play-off, they're only the fourth team from the 'traditional' 42 to go, however none have ever come particularly close to making a return. 

I completely agree with the names by the way, I was always taken in by the likes of Queen of the South and Albion Rovers.

I remember Third Lanark, another interesting name.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, speeeeeeedie said:

It's an old trope saying that British ale is warm. Every pint I've ever bought has been nice and cold.

I wonder if it has something to do with ale being stored in cellars? Or colonial days when it was shipped across oceans?

And beers like domestic American lagers have to be served at freezing point to hide the fact they taste of feck all!

It's because our "ales" are generally not ice cold like their "beers" (lagers). They cold, but not so cold (and fizzy) that they take the enamel off your teeth

Going back to the Uefa Cup Celtic away game, that's probably one of the best performances I've seen from a Rovers team, albeit we didn't create that many chances. It was almost inevitable that we'd give away a goal near the end though, when Tiny Taylor went to sleep at a corner 

Martin O'Neill did his homework for the second leg, changed his team around, marked Tugay out of the game and Souness didn't have an answer

The Ewood match was memorable for other wrong reasons too - some truly horrible Celtic fans outside the ground hanging on walls and railings shouting obscenities about the "English". 

4 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Without straying too far into old firm willy waving territory, I doubt what the Lisbon Lions achieved in 1967 will ever be surpassed - and that isn't taking anything away from Rangers 2022 whatsoever. What was the stat - all players apart from one were born within about 10 miles of Celtic Park? Incredible. 

I vividly remember watching the 67 game live on a b&w TV. Watched a full replay a month or so ago, I think it was YouTube.

Great win, Great team.

As you will know they won every competition they entered that season: the Scottish League, the Scottish Cup, the Scottish League Cup, the Glasgow Cup, and the European Cup, and completed the only ever European Quintuple

Edited by AllRoverAsia
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, bazza said:

I remember Third Lanark, another interesting name.

The club that's proof that owners fiddling football clubs for all they're worth is nothing new. I've been to their old ground in Glasgow, it survives as a public park and football pitch, with the terracing still there, lost amongst trees. A haunting but fascinating place.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

It's because our "ales" are generally not ice cold like their "beers" (lagers). They cold, but not so cold (and fizzy) that they take the enamel off your teeth

Going back to the Uefa Cup Celtic away game, that's probably one of the best performances I've seen from a Rovers team, albeit we didn't create that many chances. It was almost inevitable that we'd give away a goal near the end though, when Tiny Taylor went to sleep at a corner 

Martin O'Neill did his homework for the second leg, changed his team around, marked Tugay out of the game and Souness didn't have an answer

The Ewood match was memorable for other wrong reasons too - some truly horrible Celtic fans outside the ground hanging on walls and railings shouting obscenities about the "English". 

Plus that goon ( brave or stupid ) who jumped out of the Blackburn end , ran the full length of the pitch and faced the Celtic fans only to reveal he was wearing  rangers shirt. 

Plus there were some proper idiots Darwen end of the Riverside that night. Not Celtic fans I may add. 

46 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

And beers like domestic American lagers have to be served at freezing point to hide the fact they taste of feck all!

Lager beers have to be served very cold. British beer needs to be cold but not too cold otherwise the taste is lost. Two different types of beer.

American? I love Shipyard.

20 minutes ago, bazza said:

Lager beers have to be served very cold. British beer needs to be cold but not too cold otherwise the taste is lost. Two different types of beer.

American? I love Shipyard.

I didn’t say it doesn’t need to be cold, however lager doesn’t have to be served at almost frozen, many German and Czech lagers, for example, have lots of flavour and would lose much of it at that temperature, American macro lager (I.e Coors, Bud, Miller etc) on the other hand is served that way, literally in frozen glasses half the time, to hide the fact it tastes of nothing!

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Gav said:

Don’t get me wrong here, Blackburn Rovers are certainly no Rangers for many reasons. Rangers were in administration 10yrs ago, they’re tonight in Europa League final, give me administration right now to get rid of these useless bloody owners. 

The Old Rangers went from Administration and into Liquidation.

If we died like that I very much doubt the Leagues would bend over to allow us to form a new club as if Liquidation hadn't happened. Do you?

• Like 1