BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

JANUARY TRANSFER WINDOW

3 hours ago, Mercer said:

It's relative.

Rovers hadn't a pot to pi$$ in under Kendall and he was competing with clubs with far greater financial resource including the likes of Chelsea, West Ham and Newcastle, to name but three, that season!

So which modern-day Howard Kendall (ie a young manager who will steer a mid-table team to the Premiership title in his next job after Rovers) would you propose replacing him with?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RovingRover said:

Trying to get my head around one thing.

Why did Tony Mowbray sign Ben Brereton for a reported £7 million fee, when that fee would have likely been enough to sign Harrison Reed and Sam Gallagher on Long-term deals? :huh:

It wouldn't have got both for 7 million. You'll be looking at around that per player. Reed is a good player when in the middle. Gallagher is as big a donkey as the lad we've got.

Just now, Tom Stinny said:

It wouldn't have got both for 7 million. You'll be looking at around that per player. Reed is a good player when in the middle. Gallagher is as big a donkey as the lad we've got.

Okay then. Let me put it another way.
Who would folk rather have long-term? Brereton or Reed?

5 hours ago, Butty said:

So you’ve moved on from slating Bennett constantly too now saying we shouldn’t have give Graham a new deal and you stated last night how unimpressed with him you were, when for me he was an outlet all night and ran his bollocks off. We all know he’s not got long left and that a replacement should be signed, we’ve already done that but albeit so far that replacement isn’t looking up too much so it needs addressing. You can’t say next season if we have Graham on the bench and around the squad it would be detrimental, he’s someone who could effect a game when brought on. DG still has a lot to offer this side. 

Ran his bollocks off? He could barely move. Didn't say Graham shouldn't be around at all, said we needed a first choice striker. DG would probably be capable of a really good half an hour from the bench as back up even next season but I'm not sure that warranted a new deal per se.

BTW Bennett was atrocious last night as well. He's only any use in central midfield and even then we potentially have better options there in Reed and Travis.  Constantly shoehorning him into the side in positions where he isn't particularly effective isn't doing us any favours. They both need replacing if we're to progress.

1 hour ago, RovingRover said:

Trying to get my head around one thing.

Why did Tony Mowbray sign Ben Brereton for a reported £7 million fee, when that fee would have likely been enough to sign Harrison Reed and Sam Gallagher on Long-term deals? :huh:

Probably because they'd both want 20k per week over three or four years and the starting point for BB wages would likely be lower whilst someone has brainwashed someone inti thinking it's a quick double your money job that won't bleed the wage bill.

Not really thinking of a tilt at promotion any time soon with that signing the football reasons obviously came second on it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Ran his bollocks off? He could barely move. Didn't say Graham shouldn't be around at all, said we needed a first choice striker. DG would probably be capable of a really good half an hour from the bench as back up even next season but I'm not sure that warranted a new deal per se.

BTW Bennett was atrocious last night as well. He's only any use in central midfield and even then we potentially have better options there in Reed and Travis.  Constantly shoehorning him into the side in positions where he isn't particularly effective isn't doing us any favours. They both need replacing if we're to progress.

Those pesky Lambert signings ..... ?

16 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Will some give Brereton a chance he is 19ffs

I think some would say he has been given a chance.

Would you risk exiting this transfer window without another Striker signing?

What would happen if Graham was ruled out for the rest of the season.

2 minutes ago, RovingRover said:

I think some would say he has been given a chance.

Would you risk exiting this transfer window without another Striker signing?

What would happen if Graham was ruled out for the rest of the season.

I think we need another striker but I would certainly hope it isn't Gallagher. When I watched the re-run of last night's game I thought Nuttall actually did a lot better playing out of position than I thought at the time. I'd take him over Gallagher every day of the week.

Gallagher on for Saints again tonight. I may have been wrong in predicting him as a cert for Rovers. Looks like a case of ‘we’d be so lucky’ right now. Genuinely could see us bringing in nobody - including loans - this window. 

Thought our recruitment team was ‘in full swing’ now?

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Reed is a no brainer.

I would have Gallagher over brereton any day of the week and comparing brereton to Gallagher is an insult to Gallagher

Reed is a no brainer IF he's brought in to play in central midfield. I'm not sure we'd get particularly good value out of him if we paid a big fee for him to play makeshift RB or RWB because TM doesnt like genuine wide men.

Not sure what all the fuss is about Gallagher. Tries hard but just isn't very good. Not a prolific finisher at all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RovingRover said:

Okay then. Let me put it another way.
Who would folk rather have long-term? Brereton or Reed?

Is that how easy it is?

Got no idea how much Reed is worth.

We had no idea how good Reed was going to be or how bad Brereton has been. Wind the clock back and I’m sure we would do things differently.

15 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

If they're that good, why hasn't he come back  in for them at any point then?

?

Graham's been better for us than Bennett tbf just that age is catching up with him now.

Probably because the wages he got them on here he knew no one else would match it ?

29 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Probably because they'd both want 20k per week over three or four years and the starting point for BB wages would likely be lower whilst someone has brainwashed someone inti thinking it's a quick double your money job that won't bleed the wage bill.

Not really thinking of a tilt at promotion any time soon with that signing the football reasons obviously came second on it.

Agree with that.  Mowbray has already said he will be worth a lot of money in to the club in the future.  He may be in for a shock!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Is that how easy it is?

Got no idea how much Reed is worth.

We had no idea how good Reed was going to be or how bad Brereton has been. Wind the clock back and I’m sure we would do things differently.

We have Reed on loan! He has proved over many games what an asset he would be. So, presumably, we will be in for him perhaps in summer and we'd all be delighted if he signs.

If we'd carried out that same process with Brereton, I doubt we would have signed him. Its no good running the "in hindsight" line, many on here voiced their doubts from the start.

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I thought Bennett was okay once he went too right back, put a few great challenges in and with 120 minutes played he still ran 50 yards too put a ball in the box which was one of the better crosses of the night, he wasn’t one of our better performers last night, but atrocious? Come on. And Graham did run his bollocks off, he was gone after 90 minutes just as Travis was. For me you simply cannot question giving Graham a new deal, he’s an absolute class act. Do we still need another striker? Absolutely but that shouldn’t mean Graham doesn’t get a new deal. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ChrisPriceBaldSpot said:

With so little action taking place as far as incomings are concerned, let's say, hypothetically speaking, we have 10 million to spend, what signings would you make? 

Worst question ever simply because we’ll have to hear Mercer say again how we’ve spent 10 million on two strikers and should be 10 points clear at the top :lol: .. In all seriousness though, I’d be buying a left back, making Reed permenant, and buying an out and out winger. If that’s doable with 10 million of course.