BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window 2019

I lamented last summer's transfer window last summer because TM did not address the key areas. I do wonder if its going to be the same again.

If he won't play Chapman what's the point of another left-winger? 

Meanwhile centre-back? Striker?

I see it as a good signing.

we could potentially have a team full with big names and leaders (on paper)

Joe Hart, Mulgrew, Downing, Rodwell and Graham would have been a quite decent bunch of footballers to have for any Premier League team just a few years back in time. Add to that Dack ( who is the star name) and I think this is a very respectful core of a championship standards’ football team 

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

I think a quality CB and a FB are absolutely essential. Without them we will struggle again. 

A GK and a striker are pretty necessary too. 

Central midfield of Evans, Davenport, Travis and Buckley may be sufficient, but it probably needs one more quality addition. 

AA, Rothwell, Downing and Chapman will probably battle it out for the wide berths. Attacking midfield is probably the only area we are well stocked in, especially when you add in Dack and Butterworth. 

I suppose it all depends what formation he goes with. @Madon needs to get his binoculars out when they return to training next week. 

Ya, the formation will be interesting. He needs to have his mind made up after the pre-season games and not be experimenting in August. A quality CB, GK and striker are musts if we have any aspirations to push top 10 or better. 

Just now, skous18 said:

I see it as a good signing.

we could potentially have a team full with big names and leaders (on paper)

Joe Hart, Mulgrew, Downing, Rodwell and Graham would have been a quite decent bunch of footballers to have for any Premier League team just a few years back in time. Add to that Dack ( who is the star name) and I think this is a very respectful core of a championship standards’ football team 

Missed that Joe Hart signing and have to say I'm not impressed! 

Just now, blueboy3333 said:

I think a quality CB and a FB are absolutely essential. Without them we will struggle again. 

A GK and a striker are pretty necessary too. 

Central midfield of Evans, Davenport, Travis and Buckley may be sufficient, but it probably needs one more quality addition. 

AA, Rothwell, Downing and Chapman will probably battle it out for the wide berths. Attacking midfield is probably the only area we are well stocked in, especially when you add in Dack and Butterworth. 

I suppose it all depends what formation he goes with. @Madon needs to get his binoculars out when they return to training next week. 

Knowing Mowbray, he will drop Rothwell & start Downing. I would LOL if that happened.

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Missed that Joe Hart signing and have to say I'm not impressed! 

Well Who would you like us to sign?
We finished 15th in the championship.
We cant even try ourselves for established premier league players.
We dont have the resources to attract our rivals' best players, so we can either go with some average championship players ala Evans, sign some potentially good league one players ala Bauer and Maddison or get some 'used to be good premier league players' ala Hart and Downing

Wish our European scouting net was working, but apparently isn't, so we dont have a lot of options here

Just now, starscascade said:

Signing Downing:

The 2006 version of myself is very excited right now. Just not the 2019 version.

This is a guy who played 38 times in the Championship last season in a team in the mix throughout. 40 appearances season before, must offer something surely to us. Can see him in the 3 behind the striker with Dack and Rothwell. 

• Like 2

• Backroom
Just now, Tugayisgod said:

This is a guy who played 38 times in the Championship last season in a team in the mix throughout. 40 appearances season before, must offer something surely to us. 

I said exact same thing about Murphy when people questioned the money spent on him at his age.

"C'mon,  he's just played a full season for Fulham,  and won player of the year. He's not suddenly gonna turn crap overnight."

☺ 

I'm therefore not going to comment on Downing.  ?

• Like 2

• J*B unfeatured this topic
Just now, Stuart said:

Really poor signing this.

I know it is only one signing, but Downing was average at 24, and at 34 I see this as us just being one last pay day before retirement.

Might seem like an over-reaction, but after Etuhu, Murphy and Whittingham it is sad to see another.  

He might not be on the wage he was at Boro, but he won't be cheap, and any salary on him is too much in my opinion. I would rather any of Chapman, Armstrong, or Rothwell get a bit more game time than give any to Downing as he is only going to decline further. 

Also concerned because I fear Mowbray will give him quite a few chances, even if it is immediately apparent he isn't up to it. 

On the plus side at least the Venkys have got a former england international midfielder after we narrowly missed out on Beckham in the early days of their ownership. 

Edited by Bucksrover
  • Like 7

I'm waiting for him to have a blinder at barrow ala caddis v York and everyone to start saying he is the second coming :rolleyes:

pleased he's signed now can we get some real business done that will actual make a difference to the worst defence in the entire football league.

• Like 2

Said right from the off this was a done deal... ?

Cast iron typical Mowbray old boys signing they'd rather push the boat out for a guy like that than invest what'll amount to similar money on a younger centre half modest gamble who'll cover his costs.

All depends on what context this actually ends up in, if there's a few good signings then it'll pale into insignificance if not it's a terrible sign from club and manager i'm afraid.

Whatever you think of it it's hard to get away from expecting it to be another waste of a million or two quid that should be invested better elsewhere and may well end in yet another pay off. I don't see just why some would expect this to pan out any different than Murphy, Whittingham, Wes Brown, Greer, all old all getting a gig here they'd get nowhere else and all paid off or swallowed up wages and contributed nothing.

Nice one Tony, better pull your finger out your arse now lad.

• Like 4

Just now, Bucksrover said:

Really poor signing this.

I know it is only one signing, but Downing was average at 24, and at 34 I see this as us just being one last pay day before retirement.

Might seem like an over-reaction, but after Etuhu, Murphy and Whittingham it is sad to see another.  

He might not be on the wage he was at Boro, but he won't be cheap, and any salary on him is too much in my opinion. I would rather any of Chapman, Armstrong, or Rothwell get a bit more game time than give any to Downing as he is only going to decline further. 

Also concerned because I fear Mowbray will give him quite a few chances, even if it is immediately apparent he isn't up to it. 

On the plus side at least the Venkys have got a former england international midfielder after we narrowly missed out on Beckham in the early days of their ownership. 

Think I’ll listen to Dunny, who said he’s still plenty to offer, certainly worth a 1year deal.

Just now, tomphil said:

Said right from the off this was a done deal... ?

Cast iron typical Mowbray old boys signing they'd rather push the boat out for a guy like that than invest what'll amount to similar money on a younger centre half modest gamble who'll cover his costs.

All depends on what context this actually ends up in, if there's a few good signings then it'll pale into insignificance if not it's a terrible sign from club and manager i'm afraid.

Whatever you think of it it's hard to get away from expecting it to be another waste of a million or two quid that should be invested better elsewhere and may well end in yet another pay off. I don't see just why some would expect this to pan out any different than Murphy, Whittingham, Wes Brown, Greer, all old all getting a gig here they'd get nowhere else and all paid off or swallowed up wages and contributed nothing.

Nice one Tony, better pull your finger out your arse now lad.

Man, we have an extremely young starting 11. The vast majority of Mowbrays signings are young lads. 

Fake news! 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1