BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Has this Mcbride lad even played first team football. Never heard of him but if Clubs were chasing him then why hasn’t he featured in the first team. I’ve never heard of him, or the cb from Liverpool . Surly to god he isn’t the signing we’ve all been waiting for all day.

• Moderation Lead

Glad we’ve made a signing, think it’s a bit of hullabaloo for someone not intended for the first team immediately though, maybe that’s just me! I’d hope there’s a plan to get some of these under 23s in the first team though, as we seem to have signed a few that have gone quiet in recent times. I find it a bit weird to sign players to play for the reserves essentially. Again, maybe that’s just me. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Nat Phillips has featured in a back five all last season, in the RCB role. With Wharton evidently being a far superior defender in a 3/5 system, as he has played in that system for nearly four years across two different teams, it may be that if Phillips comes, we see a 5ATB system here at Rovers.

I can see Nyambe, Phillips, Lenihan, Wharton, Bell (please sign someone!), as a Back 5, with Bradley Johnson being replaced, dropping the midfield down to two instead of three, with one sitting deep.

I dont get the clamour to play a back 5, in essence partially to accommodate Wharton, as if he needs to be shoehorning into the starting 11.

Nyambe is never a wing back in a million years either. That back 5 would hardly instill any confidence.

The Phillips link seems very much a weak one but if he did sign, he would have to be capable of playing in a defensive 2.

It would also make absolutely no sense to play 4-3-3 throughout pre season (and the end of last season) if he was going to totally change it.

2 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

I got your point, but it's ridiculous. Most managers have players that they've worked with previously. The fact that you think that this is isolated to Mowbray is extremely curious, especially when there isn't one ex-Middlesbrough that I can think of that Mowbray is trying to build his team around.

Danny Graham, Stewart Downing, Jason Steele, Ritchie Smallwood, Harry Chapman, Jayson Leutwiler, Marvin Emnes that I can think of off the top of my head,.....that's alot of players connected to Middlesbrough during Mowbray's time at Ewood. There aren't many managers who have gone back to one of their old clubs for so many players. 

• Like 3

Just now, jim mk2 said:

Danny Graham, Stewart Downing, Jason Steele, Ritchie Smallwood, Harry Chapman, Jayson Leutwiler, Marvin Emnes that I can think of off the top of my head,.....that's alot of players connected to Middlesbrough during Mowbray's time at Ewood. There aren't many managers who have gone back to one of their old clubs for so many players. 

Fair enough, but hardly fair to say that this is a Mowbray thing when Graham, Steele & Emnes were all signings from different managers!

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Glad we’ve made a signing, think it’s a bit of hullabaloo for someone not intended for the first team immediately though, maybe that’s just me! I’d hope there’s a plan to get some of these under 23s in the first team though, as we seem to have signed a few that have gone quiet in recent times. I find it a bit weird to sign players to play for the reserves essentially. Again, maybe that’s just me. 

We have form for bigging up U23 signings. 2 years ago, almost to the day, we were all waiting for Chapman MkI and instead...

Edited by Stuart
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, OnePhilT said:

Oh my word... The top of your head needs examining!

I thought it was pretty impressive without doing any research. Thanks for the corrections but 4 players (and possibly 5 in the offing) from one club out of 92 and that club just happens to be the home town and former club of the manager is worthy of note. From your extensive knowledge it would be interesting to know if he has signed more players from another one club. I somehow doubt it.  

17 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

...The Jordan Slew/ Ben Brereton thing has scarred me...My sense is that it is Investment 1- Urgent Requirements 0

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont get the clamour to play a back 5, in essence partially to accommodate Wharton, as if he needs to be shoehorning into the starting 11.

Nyambe is never a wing back in a million years either. That back 5 would hardly instill any confidence.

The Phillips link seems very much a weak one but if he did sign, he would have to be capable of playing in a defensive 2.

It would also make absolutely no sense to play 4-3-3 throughout pre season (and the end of last season) if he was going to totally change it.

Besides JoeH, who says Wharton has to play in a back 5?

Looked alright at the weekend besides Lenihan - better than the Irish international if anything.

5 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I thought it was pretty impressive without doing any research. Thanks for the corrections but 4 players (and possibly 5 in the offing) from one club out of 92 and that club just happens to be the home town and former club of the manager is worthy of note. From your extensive knowledge it would be interesting to know if he has signed more players from another one club. I somehow doubt it.  

It’s ironic but I think the most common club for Mowbray signings is Blackburn Rovers U23s.

Ironic because when he first came here thought it was a waste of money, and also he isn’t good at developing young players with far more misses than hits.

Second is indeed Boro.

1 minute ago, Stuart said:

It’s ironic but I think the most common club for Mowbray signings is Blackburn Rovers U23s.

Ironic because when he first came here thought it was a waste of money, and also he isn’t good at developing young players with far more misses than hits.

Second is indeed Boro.

Well, there you go. Hats off to Tony (for once). Now which of those juniors started at Boro.........? 

5 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Looked alright at the weekend besides Lenihan - better than the Irish international if anything.

Sorry, I meant that Joe has suggested it a few times.

Yeah Lenihan had a shocker on Saturday but we know how important he is to us and we need to sign some defenders to play with him.

8 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I didn’t say he had to. I said I wouldn’t be surprised if we play one if Phillips comes because two of our three centre backs are very accustomed to the system. I’m not necessarily saying he has to, he will, or that I want it, I’m saying it could happen.

21 minutes ago, OnePhilT said:

Oh my word... The top of your head needs examining!

Danny Graham - signed on loan under Owen Coyle, signed permanently under Paul Lambert. Best striker since Rhodes. Let go by Mowbray this summer, in case you can't remember.

Stewart Downing - one of our better players last season, and has only played for us for one season out of Mowbray's three and a half here.

Jason Steele - signed on loan and then permanently under Gary Bowyer. Sold under Mowbray when it was clear how shite he had become.

Richie Smallwood - signed by Mowbray, did a sterling job for us in League One, and was very quickly frozen out when it was clear he wasn't up to the current level.

Harry Chapman - signed on loan and looked a real threat from what little we saw. Signed permanently, and apparently has been "Mowbrayed". Frankly stinks of a poor attitude by him, but right to keep him out of the side from what I can see.

Jayson Leutwiler - signed as backup, only ever used as backup.

Marvin Emnes - Another Owen Coyle loan that was ended under Mowbray.

So that's four ex-Boro that Mowbray has signed himself over the last 3.5 years. God forbid if we sign a good centre-back in Daniel Ayala! Heads should roll!

Can we get back to transfers and red wine?

Tony is friends with Stuart Ripley. Does that count?