BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Not all of us were. I said at the time he might be the new Damian Duff but he's much more likely to be the new  Keith Treacy. You can look it up if you like.

Yes I know not all of us, I didn't mean that. And I did look it up, I posted the link to the topic and yours was one of the comments I read before doing so.

32 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Eh?! 

Does Brereton even have an assist this season? 

Dolans final ball has been excellent and has led to few goals. His crossing has been great.

Brereton and Dolan play completely different though.

Dolan is your typical winger, takes on a man and 7 times out of 10 looks to go on the outside and put a cross in for the striker.

Brereton isn't a typical winger and is a no9 whos instinct is to run at people and towards goal.

Would we be better off with two typical wingers or good to have a balance? 

I agree that neither can be dropped in current form.

1 hour ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Is Mowbray really going to play Gallagher on the wing? 

Does he ever learn?!

Brereton shouldn't be out wide either imo, offers very little, in comparison to Dolan.

BB is fantastic in full flight, holds the ball up well (needed when our main striker is so small) and BB does a massive amount of defending.

Agree Gallagher isn't suited to playing wide though. I'd just put him on in the last 20 mins of games, if we are ahead,  for his defensive heading ability.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Brererton's a waste of a shirt out wide and he's a waste of a shirt playing up front. The only time he's done anything of note is when he's been played in what you could describe as the old inside left position.

Are you insane? His skill and work ethic are a massive part of our success this season.

But hey, he and Dolan didn't play so great against a team set on defending and you turn on him at the first opportunity; sad indeed.

• Like 1

Dack isn't going to get Premier League interest full stop. 

If he was they would have picked him up by now. As it is he's what, 27 and spent most of his career in League One.

Obviously a huge player for us that we need to hope comes back fine and picks up where he left off. But I think expecting any serious interest from top division clubs is pushing it. He is good but is he that good?

The biggest worry is selling him off to a Championship rival. That must not happen but is in my view the most likely. Someone like Derby or a relegated Fulham would pay him double what we will.

Invoking the 12 month extension in our favour should be nothing more than an emergency measure used to protect the club in the worst case scenario.

Before that time comes we should be securing him, with his agreement, to a proper new contract. I'm not sure such things are on Waggott's agenda here though.

Forcing him to stay on his existing wage for 12 months having failed to offer or agree a new deal wont be good for the player nor Rovers. It will lead to resentment and a wasted season as he ticks down the days to being sold or released.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Brererton's a waste of a shirt out wide and he's a waste of a shirt playing up front. The only time he's done anything of note is when he's been played in what you could describe as the old inside left position.

And that's where he is played in new system.The two either side of the central striker ain't playing as traditional wingers 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JHRover said:

If he was they would have picked him up by now. As it is he's what, 27 and spent most of his career in League One.

Obviously a huge player for us that we need to hope comes back fine and picks up where he left off. But I think expecting any serious interest from top division clubs is pushing it. He is good but is he that good?

The biggest worry is selling him off to a Championship rival. That must not happen but is in my view the most likely. Someone like Derby or a relegated Fulham would pay him double what we will.

Invoking the 12 month extension in our favour should be nothing more than an emergency measure used to protect the club in the worst case scenario.

Before that time comes we should be securing him, with his agreement, to a proper new contract. I'm not sure such things are on Waggott's agenda here though.

Forcing him to stay on his existing wage for 12 months having failed to offer or agree a new deal wont be good for the player nor Rovers. It will lead to resentment and a wasted season as he ticks down the days to being sold or released.

Yes, Dack lacks the pace needed in the premier league. 

I'd like to see him come on first as sub for Armstrong. With Dolan and BB doing the running either side. 

12 minutes ago, Vilesinner said:

BB is fantastic in full flight, holds the ball up well (needed when our main striker is so small) and BB does a massive amount of defending.

Agree Gallagher isn't suited to playing wide though. I'd just put him on in the last 20 mins of games, if we are ahead,  for his defensive heading ability.

I think Gallagher would be best utilised in games like the Cardiff one. 60 minutes in hitting shot from long range wide , can’t break through a tight nit defence bang Sam on and start whipping balls onto his head and nick the one nil, getting causing havoc in the box. Away from home defending a lead . Bring him on to head balls away from corners and hold the ball up the way Graham expertly did. People will say that doesn’t match his skill set but that’s what brockhalls for. Get him day in day out Learning that role so we have options. After all Tony likes to make sure they learn the role it’s just he’s learning the wrong role.  Putting him wide right or anywhere but central is a complete waste of time and money. That’s how i see it anyway and what I would be doing .

we have seen that Armstrong can score the goals, we have Dolan, rothwell , this season up to now brereton and eventually Dack to play this wonderful football we have played and long may it continue but we also need a plan B when it’s one of those days that the defence can’t be breached and shots from range just arnt going in. Sam Gallagher could be the plan B we have desperately needed. The home games against Luton, charlton etc where a plan B would have made the difference. That’s my thoughts over to you Tony 

• Like 2

Just now, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Steady on. BB has done ok but to says he's been a 'massive part of our success' is just a bit, well, insane. 

Nope, he was the fulcrum. Holding the ball up doing the hard yards, and even hitting the post for Dolan to benefit that put us on the road for a fine victory. 

14 minutes ago, JHRover said:

We did offer Dack a new deal he didn't sign and discussions ongoing.The season we came up he was offered a new deal and Mowbray said discussions ongoing.

We can't force him to sign and we can't afford to just give him what he wants either as good a player he is no guarantee he will come back  the same player after such an injury

If he doesn't sign a new deal between now and season end then I presume the club will be activating the extra year and then trying to sell him.

• Like 2

Just now, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Depends where you play. Lampard did ok as a goal scoring midfielder and he was hardly quick. 

Dack's game doesn't rely on pace. 

I think the game has moved on even from then.

Remember us completely outplaying Chelsea when he scored a great overhead goal. 

Pace is important in all attacking players especially in the premier League.

1 hour ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Eh?! 

Does Brereton even have an assist this season? 

Dolans final ball has been excellent and has led to few goals. His crossing has been great.

Dolan's crossing needs a lot of work.

It's as useful as a Nyambe / Bennett cross at the moment. 

7 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Depends where you play. Lampard did ok as a goal scoring midfielder and he was hardly quick. 

Dack's game doesn't rely on pace. 

Lampard was carried by world class players, which allowed him to drift in late to the box and score a bagful. 

I'm not sure we have the same luxury - right now it's very much about shoehorning Dack into a settled team. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Vilesinner said:

Surely that means Buckley and JRC do not stand a chance of making it to the top league then?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Vilesinner said:

Are you insane? His skill and work ethic are a massive part of our success this season.

But hey, he and Dolan didn't play so great against a team set on defending and you turn on him at the first opportunity; sad indeed.

I think Breretons main contribution is the ball has started sticking to him and he can carry it 20-30 yards up the pitch and win a lot of fouls. Pretty unglamorous stuff but has been quite effective in keeping the pressure on the opposition.

If he can add something else to his game - finishing, or becoming significantly better in the air for example, he could become more useful. As it is as soon as Dacks back he's on the bench.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Lampard was carried by world class players, which allowed him to drift in late to the box and score a bagful. 

The ability to ghost into the box and the ability to finish is not dependant on who you play with. He'll score anywhere. 

1 hour ago, Vilesinner said:

Like I said, Dack's game doesn't rely on pace.

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

Surely that means Buckley and JRC do not stand a chance of making it to the top league then?

Dack is a much more attacking player that both you mentioned, where pace is more important at the highest level.

I have seen both JRC and Buckley play wide and they looked pacy enough imo.