BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer Transfer Window

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

Don't disagree with the 4 above, but silly to claim Nyambe isn't a key player imo.

Dack hasn't got "at least" 2 years left either even if he signs an extension, it's a year and a part of a season at best.

There’s no way you can throw Nyambe in with those guys Rev. He just isn’t THAT good. He’s too inconsistent.

For the purpose of a sale, we’re safe with Dack. He’ll be back before Christmas and assuming he’s back to his best by new year and banging the goals in, we’ll invoke the 12 month extension and sell him for healthy fee in the summer.

If he doesn’t hit those heights he might panic and decide to sign an extension. I’m not concerned about Dack or the other 4 key players I mentioned. After that group then let’s get our promising players tied up now...Dolan, Nyambe and JRC would be my first three.

4 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

It’s not that simple mate...

Dack is looking at his pals like Reed and Tosin earning £60k a week thinking he would treble his wages. At what 27 he’s not signing another contract with us unless we’re in the PL and can offer him that type of money. The BEST chance of him re-signing is either if we go up or if he comes back to poor form and decides that move isn’t going to materialise. I personally think he’ll go next summer.

Nyambe just hasn’t been consistent enough. He’s never nailed his place in the team down and that’s why it’s drifted. I don’t think anyone’s blown away with him and I reckon there’s a really good chance both he and JRC will sign.

Theres currently the more players out of contract than any other time since the Bosman ruling. A lot of players shitting themselves. Nyambe and JRC can’t afford to run their contracts down.

I think it is crazy to suggest that Nyambe and Rankin Costello, especially the former, would be "shitting" themselves at becoming a free agent, as if they would struggle to find a club. Older free agents further down the leagues, thats a different story. 

With Nyambe, there was a spell when he didnt play not on merit but because at that time Bennett was wrongly considered the better option.

Agree that Dack goes next summer if we dont go up. Exactly the same thought process with Armstrong and maybe even Lenihan. Feels like the end of a cycle with this team considering the contractual situation.

Players like Dolan might have promise but it will take more than that to compete at the top end again. There will be growing pains unless we can get promoted. Plenty of pressure on this season. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think he will go in January to be honest if there is PL interest. 

He’d have to come flying out of the blocks to get a move at Christmas mate. Been out 9 months too....a very risky investment.

Im sure we’ll push to sell him in the summer if he hasn’t signed a long extension or we haven’t gone up.

47 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

At the time yes, but If things subsequently changed and the player wanted to leave all he would have to do is allege that the original deal was made on the basis of certain assurances which haven't been met and that we haven't kept to our side of the bargain etc etc.

You'd have to be quite hard nosed to take that stance but like Lucash certain players might feel their loyalties lay more towards their next Club than their current one.

Without actually being a lawyer of course...only if there was something in the contract we had breached, or there was a serious circumstance where we had let the player down. If it was just something like he was told we would be in the Prem by now then he should have put that as a condition of the extension. Neill only did what he was 100% entitled to do contractually, as annoying as it was. If you were right, there'd be successful legal challenges to get out of contracts all the time. I vaguely remember some attempts, but no successes that weren't contingent on contractual agreements.

Even if you're right, Dack doing that after Mowbray revived his career and helped keep him out of jail? Nah not buying that.

2 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

He’d have to come flying out of the blocks to get a move at Christmas mate. Been out 9 months too....a very risky investment.

Im sure we’ll push to sell him in the summer if he hasn’t signed a long extension or we haven’t gone up.

PL clubs could be desperate come January and staying in PL will be vital this season with this pandemic around

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Didnt King go on a free?

But that's was 5 years ago. Not under our current manager 

5 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Argh, come on....you’re grasping there!! He hadn’t even done as much as Dolan. A tad disappointed at worst.

I'm not grasping in the slightest. There were quite a lot of annoyed fans. I was one of them. The word was our offer to him was fairly derisory too.

His level of success afterwards is immaterial, it was a blow at the time. Luckily he hasn't gone on to all that much since.

16 minutes ago, Traviscon said:

At a dog shit price because your arms twisted.

I'm for some reason quite calm on the Dack front. I think he'll sign a new contract. I imagine he will give us this year based off the start we've had and have an understanding with the management that he can go with their blessing if we fail. 

Yes he could go for a free, but I don't think Dack would want to leave on a sour note. 

Dacks dilemma will be whether to sign a contract available to him from us or take his chances and maybe get another injury.

To be honest I think he will probably sign on similar terms to what he is on unless he has a spectacular season and Prem interest comes back. 

Bird in the hand and all that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I'm not grasping in the slightest. There were quite a lot of annoyed fans. I was one of them. The word was our offer to him was fairly derisory too.

His level of success afterwards is immaterial, it was a blow at the time. Luckily he hasn't gone on to all that much since.

Ok, I’m sure a couple felt aggrieved but he wasn’t a key player. We haven’t lost any of those on a free since Hoilett in 2008.

17 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

There’s no way you can throw Nyambe in with those guys Rev. He just isn’t THAT good. He’s too inconsistent.

That might be your (and the manager's) assessment of Nyambe. I'd say (as with Raya) you're both flat out wrong but football is a game of opinions I guess.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

That might be your (and the manager's) assessment of Nyambe. I'd say (as with Raya) you're both flat out wrong but football is a game of opinions I guess.

Yup, all about opinions...though im Not sure there’s many Rovers fans who’d accept that Nyambe and Raya are / were as important to our club as Lenihan, Travis, Dack and Arma in terms of their impact on the pitch and / or value as an asset. 

13 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Ok, I’m sure a couple felt aggrieved but he wasn’t a key player. We haven’t lost any of those on a free since Hoilett in 2008.

More than a couple. It wasn't universal outrage, but you're definitely exaggerating or misremembering that one.

No, he wasn't a key player. I'd say that as a young player who was starting to show good potential and like he was ready to kick on especially at League One level, it was what I'd consider an asset you need to be protecting. Far less so than Nyambe granted, who you don't seem to rate, which may or may not be because the manager wrongly dropped him a few times.

Hoilett left us in 2012. King, who was another I'd considered an asset you want to protect, and clearly correctly, left us more recently than that after contract expiry.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Yup, all about opinions...though im Not sure there’s many Rovers fans who’d accept that Nyambe and Raya are / were as important to our club as Lenihan, Travis, Dack and Arma in terms of their impact on the pitch and / or value as an asset. 

I think strikers are a special case as ones that can find the back of the net regularly always command a hefty premium but if their contractual situations were all identical I wouldn't say Nyambe was any more or less valuable than either Lenihan or Travis.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

The Mulgrew one gets me. Absolutely no way he was seeing that length of contract out. 

Smallwood and Bennett I can live with. I don’t think they believed for one minute that Trav was gonna kick on so quickly. Prob thought they’d have got to the following Christmas before Smallwood was surplus. Bennett has been worth it, I’ve no axe to grind there.

The Sam Hart and Smallwood mini extensions were absolutely scandalous, 

That’s exactly how I see it.

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Experience of what? 

IMO, Mowbray has been good over contracts overall to be honest. Proper people person and good man management skills. 

Dack still yet to sign a contract.

Mulgrew given an extended contract, which we are now trying to pay off.

Smallwood contract extension, everyone knew he wasn't good enough.

Shall I go on? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 47er said:

Maybe my memory is going but I thought they did.

Indeed.

In summary we gave a load of unnecessary long term contracts to average ageing players who were never going to take us forward and we've stagnated for two seasons as a result.

Compare that with King Kenny. Speedie did far more for the Club than the players that have been mentioned have ever done and no doubt deserved a crack in the Premiership with us on the back of his efforts in the promotion season but was dispassionately sacrificed  to bring an even better player in. 

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Dacks dilemma will be whether to sign a contract available to him from us or take his chances and maybe get another injury.

To be honest I think he will probably sign on similar terms to what he is on unless he has a spectacular season and Prem interest comes back. 

Bird in the hand and all that.

I Don't think he's Graeme Le Saux pt 2.

Edited by Traviscon

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I'd put a new deal for Bennett as being about as sensible as the one for Mulgrew!

At the time of the deal nyambe was the only RB we had , along with Bennett’s role in the dressing room (not that this alone warrants an extension) and ability to cover a few positions to cover injury crisis’ and lesser cup games etc I wasn’t against the Bennett deal. Would equally not been arsed if he didn’t get one but equally not fussed he did. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pjt said:

With regards to Mulgrew I really hope we don't pay him off fully and allow him to sign up somewhere else and earn even more money in the next year.  TBH even if he has had a fall out with the manager as a pro footballer surely he should try his best and play his way back into the team whilst he is under contract.  Either that or compromise, take a lower payout and go and play!

Current: probably 20k

Compromise pay off normally are 50p in the pound - 10k

New playing contract  if he can find a club - 2k?

What would you do? Give up 8k

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

So King, Holiett and Mahoney left all on a free. Meltdown time

No. Hoilett left on a free. The others left for compensation fees after expiry. And nobody is having a meltdown, they're just contesting the false claims about how we never lose important players out of contract.

The current regime under TM has been fairly good for it though, so far. Only Mahoney lost in this way. Next summer will be a serious test of that though, it's a lot of players that we use, to go out of contract at once.

The Nyambe deal only being 2 years was a disgrace though. Which actually makes me about 50% confident that we actually have an extension option in there.

• Like 6