BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Fans Forum / Roverstore

• 2 weeks later...

I spoke to a member of staff before Christmas. They can still order new stock of home shirts and could have ordered new stock weeks ago but due to the minimum order quantities imposed by Macron, they made the decision not to order any more shirts this season. The reason given was that they don't think they will sell the quantity they will be forced to order and don't want to be left with loads of shirts at the end of the season.

So they basically underestimated demand when making the initial order and once they were gone that was it. Tough luck to anyone who wants a home shirt after that.

All seems a bit odd for a club hard up, desperate to increase revenues and facing a perennial battle to reduce reliance on owner funding and comply with FFP regulations....

You might expect that at the very least they would ensure that there was sufficient stock available in the shop to sell in the build up to Xmas. If this was the first time this issue had arisen it might be excusable, If it was May and not November when the issue arose it might be excusable. But when it keeps happening and it is the most lucrative time of the year heads ought to roll. 

Once again, I keep saying it and will keep on saying it because it shows that the Club isn't really serious about it but if FFP was such a problem and those running the club were determined to try and deal with it this issue wouldn't occur.

It seems to me that having realised they are missing out on cash they have fast-tracked through this 'retro range' in a desperate attempt to provide would-be customers with an alternative product to buy when they turn up at the club shop and find no replica kits to buy.

It just smells like everything else down there - the bare minimum done or committed to. Whether that be effort, tickets, stock, it is so typical of the Waggott regime. Put the minimum amount of effort in, do nothing that might end up costing the club but in the process reduce your capabilities and potential.

So we don't get matchday programmes any more - the excuse being it isn't commercially viable (non league clubs think differently)

We don't get a town centre shop any more - the excuse being it isn't viable.

We don't get a Darwen End home section any more - the excuse being it isn't viable.

We don't get sufficient stock even in popular kits - the excuse being it isn't viable.

We don't get competitive or reasonable ticket prices - the excuse being it isn't viable. 

Meanwhile one thing that is viable is meeting Waggott's 6 figure salary for 5 years in a row.

Then we see Preston and Bolton putting our gates to shame and doing all the above. How strange. Almost as though the bullshit that Waggott comes out with in these meetings isn't true. 

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, Riverside under the drip said:

OK this is getting daft now. The issue has been raised countless times at the forum but is always swatted away as not Rovers' fault. Can the pathetic stocking of the club shop be called out with a real demand for change please?

No replica shirts whatsoever to give to someone at Christmas? Surely at least one kid would have asked Santa for a shirt? A supply issue. Shrug.

An entire shop with the colour choice of black or rainbow when we are the only side with such an iconic halved design? The rainbow one is actually a good idea. Shrug about the dreary ones.

The 88-89 retro range was only released a week or two ago and I naively assumed there'd be a blue tracksuit top left in XL. Wrong. The entire range appears now to be only available in 2XL or 3XL (of which there are dozens for each item, the only colourful things in the entire store).

Can we demand to know whose job it is to order stock? Maybe they don't know that you can order more. Maybe they don't know that you need more L than 3XL. Maybe they don't know that even chunky people tend to be XL rather than 2XL. Maybe they don't know children exist. Maybe they should be replaced.

That’s frustrating, I was going to buy the drill top from the 88-89 range tomorrow before the game. 

2 hours ago, Crimpshrine said:

I spoke to a member of staff before Christmas. They can still order new stock of home shirts and could have ordered new stock weeks ago but due to the minimum order quantities imposed by Macron, they made the decision not to order any more shirts this season. The reason given was that they don't think they will sell the quantity they will be forced to order and don't want to be left with loads of shirts at the end of the season.

So they basically underestimated demand when making the initial order and once they were gone that was it. Tough luck to anyone who wants a home shirt after that.

I went down to the shop this morning and was told the same thing. ie no more shirts this season.

The chap I spoke with reckoned that they'd ordered the same quantity as they did last season, and in all but 2 of the last 10 years (this and last) they'd not sold out. 

He’s being a tad disingenuous there. There’s always months on end through the season with no shirts, especially  this time of year, but normally you would see more arrive in the new year/back end of the season. 

To run out of shirts in November and not bother even trying to restock sums up this piss poor excuse of an operation and something not replicated anywhere else. The lack of standards at this club is embarrassing.

• Like 7

The programme thing is complete and utter nonsense they just can't be arsed and have thrown the towel in first opportunity they got.

They could get a small local firm to knock up 500 and they'd probably sell out every game, might have to charge a bit more but they'd become something of a novelty so there'd be enough demand off people willing to pay a bit more.

Next to nothing in it for the club though so they can't be bothered and that is symptomatic of so much over the last decade it's a joke.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Riverside under the drip said:

OK this is getting daft now. The issue has been raised countless times at the forum but is always swatted away as not Rovers' fault. Can the pathetic stocking of the club shop be called out with a real demand for change please?

No replica shirts whatsoever to give to someone at Christmas? Surely at least one kid would have asked Santa for a shirt? A supply issue. Shrug.

An entire shop with the colour choice of black or rainbow when we are the only side with such an iconic halved design? The rainbow one is actually a good idea. Shrug about the dreary ones.

The 88-89 retro range was only released a week or two ago and I naively assumed there'd be a blue tracksuit top left in XL. Wrong. The entire range appears now to be only available in 2XL or 3XL (of which there are dozens for each item, the only colourful things in the entire store).

Can we demand to know whose job it is to order stock? Maybe they don't know that you can order more. Maybe they don't know that you need more L than 3XL. Maybe they don't know that even chunky people tend to be XL rather than 2XL. Maybe they don't know children exist. Maybe they should be replaced.

The only thing people at this club understand is the bare minimum. 

In fact if they manage the bare minimum then its a monumental effort on their part.

20 minutes ago, tomphil said:

The programme thing is complete and utter nonsense they just can't be arsed and have thrown the towel in first opportunity they got.

They could get a small local firm to knock up 500 and they'd probably sell out every game, might have to charge a bit more but they'd become something of a novelty so there'd be enough demand off people willing to pay a bit more.

Next to nothing in it for the club though so they can't be bothered and that is symptomatic of so much over the last decade it's a joke.

Even in a 12,000 crowd you'd easily flog the best part of 500 given the number of hardcore faithfuls, especially in the away end (I still proactively seek programmes on away days where I know the exist!). The last away day I did was Cardiff in early October, and two things struck me about the experience - firstly, putting your back into a programme makes for an excellent read and gives a strong impression of giving a fuck; and secondly, having your own beer on the concourse demonstrates some level of innovation and subsequently got them several more £ in the coffers from me. Compare and contrast to Ewood where we had a monthly magazine that cost about 20p a word and tepid, unimaginative shite on tap that we can't even serve at a reasonable pace (apparently!).

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Upside Down said:

The only thing people at this club understand is the bare minimum. 

In fact if they manage the bare minimum then it’s a monumental effort on their part.

TARGET: 1,500 SALES

ORDERED: 1,500 KITS

SOLD: 1,500 KITS

JOB DONE. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, GHR said:

Even in a 12,000 crowd you'd easily flog the best part of 500 given the number of hardcore faithfuls, especially in the away end (I still proactively seek programmes on away days where I know the exist!). The last away day I did was Cardiff in early October, and two things struck me about the experience - firstly, putting your back into a programme makes for an excellent read and gives a strong impression of giving a fuck; and secondly, having your own beer on the concourse demonstrates some level of innovation and subsequently got them several more £ in the coffers from me. Compare and contrast to Ewood where we had a monthly magazine that cost about 20p a word and tepid, unimaginative shite on tap that we can't even serve at a reasonable pace (apparently!).

If they could franchise the programme creating out to some bland company who produces over priced low content similar to what it might do for a dozen other clubs, then pays them a set amount per season, you can bet they'd have been on it years ago.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, GHR said:

They have even binned off the £6 monthly magazine because, shock horror, nobody bought it. Who’d have thought replacing the programme with something more expensive and sub standard would sell less!?

10 minutes ago, tomphil said:

If they could franchise the programme creating out to some bland company who produces over priced low content similar to what it might do for a dozen other clubs, then pays them a set amount per season, you can bet they'd have been on it years ago.

They truly would.

This level of stagnation and indifference would cost you your post within weeks in other industries. With Rovers it appears to be a badge of honour.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

They have even binned off the £6 monthly magazine because, shock horror, nobody bought it. Who’d have thought replacing the programme with something more expensive and sub standard would sell less!?

I remember commenting at the times it vanished I wasn't surprised. With Rovers' level of fucks given, it was never to last more than the minimum it could justify.

I bought the first one. They managed as much content in a glossy A4 ~64pager as you'd expect a National League side to get through in ten days of their programme output.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve just been walking through the town centre and passed the totally wicked shop.

Theres a big decal in the window with Rovers crest saying something like “Official partner of Blackburn Rovers”.

I had a quick look through the window and saw some shelves “dedicated”to Rovers merchandise, and it was one of the most pathetic sights I have ever seen. Empty shelves, 4 Rovers pint glasses, about half a dozen Rover the dog teddy’s, and a couple of other bits of tat. I should’ve got a picture. Once again something done so half arsed it’s embarrassing to all concerned.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Miller11 said:

I’ve just been walking through the town centre and passed the totally wicked shop.

Theres a big decal in the window with Rovers crest saying something like “Official partner of Blackburn Rovers”.

I had a quick look through the window and saw some shelves “dedicated”to Rovers merchandise, and it was one of the most pathetic sights I have ever seen. Empty shelves, 4 Rovers pint glasses, about half a dozen Rover the dog teddy’s, and a couple of other bits of tat. I should’ve got a picture. Once again something done so half arsed it’s embarrassing to all concerned.

sounds like the club shop it is just missing a couple of 4xxxl tops 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miller11 said:

Embarrassing is the word. Really small time stuff which just sums up the decline and the thinking at the club. Think small.

It feels like a very long time since the club shop had anything that I thought was worth buying. I've always had an interest in buying Rovers related t-shirts, but the produce at the club shop has been nothing but overpriced tat for years. No imagination to the designs, but £25 a pop? Piss that.

IMG_20230106_163925.thumb.jpg.51398b57912514f842c51fd376ea8622.jpg

I must have bought around 7/8 Rovers themed shirts from elsewhere over the past couple of years. All better quality than anything in the store. One of my favourites posted above. Why can't the club shop come up with something like the above? As if I need to ask.

There are so many potential t-shirt ideas based on our history, the players that have played for us etc. However, the stuff in the shop year after year, and the response to 'Brereton Mania' suggests we can forget about any of that happening.

• Like 1