BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Contract Situation

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Its 3 players actually as talks with Kaminski will take place next week I read today on Lancs Live. Mowbray and Waggott has said its down to money and whats their agents want and demanding for the players in the contract talks

You just keep expecting the owners to keep throwing money at the club instead of the club being run financially properly and being less reliant on them. 

well you have actually by suggesting the club increase the wage budget to pay the players what they want. 

The club needs to stay in line with budgets set. These players have been offered improve contracts and given the financial reset within the championship are they going to get better contracts? Clubs like Huddersfield and Cardiff will be reducing their budget for next season if they don't get promote

1. Playing players at a competitive rate to get them tied down long term is potentially likely to be financially BETTER, not worse. Give a player 2or 3 grand a week extra, you can sell that player in a year or 2, you have an asset. It is incredibly short term thinking to not give out new deals to try and save money, because you are removing the potential for a fee. Those fees then create less direct reliance on the owners, which removes your other illogical point. You either can't or choose not to fathom that.

2. I have never, ever said that we should "over pay" players. I suspect you have an issue with defining what over paying means, to me it would be paying above what those players could expect to realistically receive, either here or at a direct rival. To have so many needing contracts suggests that the issue is internal rather than ALL of them being unrealistic with their demands. As you yourself say, they are even less likely now to be able to justify high demands due to the post covid market, so I, coupled with the managers frustration, the Armstrong money black hole/summer cut backs and the owners 11 year history, make me believe that the issue is the owners not allowing enough money to be offered in new terms to these key players.

13 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

1. Playing players at a competitive rate to get them tied down long term is potentially likely to be financially BETTER, not worse. Give a player 2or 3 grand a week extra, you can sell that player in a year or 2, you have an asset. It is incredibly short term thinking to not give out new deals to try and save money, because you are removing the potential for a fee. Those fees then create less direct reliance on the owners, which removes your other illogical point. You either can't or choose not to fathom that.

I doubt its a couple of grands a week that is the problem given thats we have been in talks for a number of months and nearly 12 months in some cases like Nyambe and Rothwell. 

13 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

2. I have never, ever said that we should "over pay" players. I suspect you have an issue with defining what over paying means, to me it would be paying above what those players could expect to realistically receive, either here or at a direct rival. To have so many needing contracts suggests that the issue is internal rather than ALL of them being unrealistic with their demands. As you yourself say, they are even less likely now to be able to justify high demands due to the post covid market, so I, coupled with the managers frustration, the Armstrong money black hole/summer cut backs and the owners 11 year history, make me believe that the issue is the owners not allowing enough money to be offered in new terms to these key players.

How many more times do we have to say that Armstrong's money went towards keeping the club out of embargo and the club complying with FFP rules. 

Yes the wage budget has been cut fo this season but having run massively over the club turnover I think its has t be expected and correct

We have seven players out of contract but no more than other clubs in this league

16 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Its 3 players actually as talks with Kaminski will take place next week I read today on Lancs Live. Mowbray and Waggott has said its down to money and whats their agents want and demanding for the players in the contract talks

You just keep expecting the owners to keep throwing money at the club instead of the club being run financially properly and being less reliant on them. 

well you have actually by suggesting the club increase the wage budget to pay the players what they want. 

The club needs to stay in line with budgets set. These players have been offered improve contracts and given the financial reset within the championship are they going to get better contracts? Clubs like Huddersfield and Cardiff will be reducing their budget for next season if they don't get promote

Chaddy, do you genuinely believe Lenihan, Rothwell and Nyambe are asking to break our wage ceiling seriously.

They'll be asking for similar to what the senior players are earning as thats what they are.

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I doubt its a couple of grands a week that is the problem given thats we have been in talks for a number of months and nearly 12 months in some cases like Nyambe and Rothwell. 

How many more times do we have to say that Armstrong's money went towards keeping the club out of embargo and the club complying with FFP rules. 

Yes the wage budget has been cut fo this season but having run massively over the club turnover I think its has t be expected and correct

We have seven players out of contract but no more than other clubs in this league

You can say it as many times as you like, it doesn't make it factual, its your interpretation which I feel is flawed.

You have an arrogance whereby you seem to think that if you push across your opinion so many times, you expect me to fall in line and agree.

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You can say it as many times as you like, it doesn't make it factual, its your interpretation which I feel is flawed.

You have an arrogance whereby you seem to think that if you push across your opinion so many times, you expect me to fall in line and agree.

Well instead of ignoring FFP rules and our finances, do your working out like other fans have done. Not hard to do instead of your ignorance..

Not interested if you fall in line but you simply won't accept that the Armstrong's money is gone to stop the club going into embargo

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well instead of ignoring FFP rules and our finances, do your working out like other fans have done. Not hard to do instead of your ignorance..

Not interested if you fall in line but you simply won't accept that the Armstrong's money is gone to stop the club going into embargo

I know, because I don't think that it did stop us from going into embargo. Obviously the income will help us moving forward to continue within FFP regulations, but it didn't historically stop us from going into embargo. All sales will help us with that ongoing objective, and allowing key assets to leave for free will massively hinder us on that front.

21 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Chaddy, do you genuinely believe Lenihan, Rothwell and Nyambe are asking to break our wage ceiling seriously.

They'll be asking for similar to what the senior players are earning as thats what they are.

no idea tbh. Unless I'm in the room unlikely to know.

15 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I know, because I don't think that it did stop us from going into embargo. Obviously the income will help us moving forward to continue within FFP regulations, but it didn't historically stop us from going into embargo. All sales will help us with that ongoing objective, and allowing key assets to leave for free will massively hinder us on that front.

I will leave it there as there is no reasoning or point to discussing it with yourself

30 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Isn't Sam Gallagher already our highest paid player? If he wasn't he surely will be now....

He is one of our highest paid players at the club but did take a pay cut to joined us from Southampton. 

11 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Sam Gallagher close to agree a new contract

That could read as the owners giving up Rothwell, leninhan and Brereton

The only way I can see those players signing new deals with us now is if we get promoted 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo

On 12/12/2021 at 10:54, Armchair supporter supremo said:

The only way I can see those players signing new deals with us now is if we get promoted 

Offer them a new contract with a promotion clause- significant increase in wages IF we go up, if we don't pop realistic release fee's in their contracts.  I could see the latter upsetting a few fans but it's better than them walking for nothing....

On 12/12/2021 at 10:54, Armchair supporter supremo said:

Utter bunkum! Each player is a different negotiation!

The Gallagher contract situation is a totally different one in that he is one of if not our highest earners, coming from a big contract at Southampton. Rothwell came having been in and out at Oxford, Nyambe signed his last deal before he established himself and Lenihan prior to getting the captaincy. All 3 deserve and warrant increases.

With Gallagher, purely speculating but I imagine that he would require little if any increase to sign, therefore the only question is whether we would want a player who is a high earner on the wage bill for 1 or 2 extra seasons, my preference would be no. 

But the other 3 will need increases to the current wage bill as well which Venkys seemingly are unwilling to allow.

52 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The Gallagher contract situation is a totally different one in that he is one of if not our highest earners, coming from a big contract at Southampton. Rothwell came having been in and out at Oxford, Nyambe signed his last deal before he established himself and Lenihan prior to getting the captaincy. All 3 deserve and warrant increases.

With Gallagher, purely speculating but I imagine that he would require little if any increase to sign, therefore the only question is whether we would want a player who is a high earner on the wage bill for 1 or 2 extra seasons, my preference would be no. 

But the other 3 will need increases to the current wage bill as well which Venkys seemingly are unwilling to allow.

Whethers its a small increase or not - surely we should bt tying down these other players first. A top earner that has so far been average (generous) is now gonna earn even more (even if slightly) than more important players. 

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Which means...the players want to be paid up there with the likes of Gallagher whereas the club wants to keep them close to the cheapest-paid squad members they currently are?

Doubt any of them are expected to paid more than the likes of the higher-paid players...as Lenihan and Nyambe are nailed-on starters, and Rothwell really should be, then they can expect a big increase. They'll leave for nowt otherwise and we'll just end up paying more for a punt in the long run.

Seems like compromise on both ends is the way to go, but Rovers have more to lose so need to be pushing it. The value of the players must be increasing with each game on this run...

3 hours ago, TheRoversReturn said:

Seems like compromise on both ends is the way to go, but Rovers have more to lose so need to be pushing it. The value of the players must be increasing with each game on this run...

Exactly. We have far more to lose right now. To be honest I could take it or leave it as far as Nyambe is concerned. I don't think there will be a queue around the corner for him if he is asking for major money. Lenihan is our captain and is an important member of our inexperienced squad. Rothwell is the one. He merits being equal to our highest earners. 

I think the club need to budge first. Show that we are willing. Because the players. They will have other offers. We can talk about them being happy here etc. But the longer it goes on with the club not showing them they are valued. The closer they will get to being pissed off. 

• Like 2

Interesting situation now. It’s clearly not in any of the holdouts’ interests to sign a pre-contract with any team not mid-table or better in the Prem or they may end up still in the Championship while we are in the Prem, and I don’t think any of them are good enough to attract that kind of suitor. It’s also not in our interests to sell any of them this window. So I think no-one is going anywhere.

Once we get to summer, the shoe is on the other foot: we’ve either gone up or given it a good go. If they all want Premiership football and we haven’t gone up, the only temptation may well be one of the relegated teams, and that can go either way. If we have gone up, they’ll sign for what we offer them.

• Like 1

I agree with that but I think if (big if) we were to go up, the trio will be approached by established Prem clubs, which would be a big temptation. Rothwell, for sure, would be wanted by half or more of the Prem, if he manages a full season of his current form. I think, whatever the scenario, it's likely our last season with him in the team. I hope I'm wrong, as I think we're seeing the making of an excellent player.

Edited by riverholmes
  • Like 1