BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Contract Situation

16 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I get what you are saying but it comes back to this:

An extra year for Gallagher, at say £15,000 per week, is an extra commitment from the owners of about £700,000-800,000 (assuming he gets no pay rise). As you say his performances to date unremarkable and unlikely to see a profit on the fee paid for him at this point. Work for him to do to deliver a profit.

An extra two years for Nyambe - lets say he's on £5000 a week now and wants £10,000 - that increase would be a commitment of £500,000 from the owners, yet immediately it would see his transfer value go from £0 in the summer to multi-millions. Overnight, just by signing the deal. 

I get the owners might be reluctant to increase the wage bill but it isn't as simple as that - there has to be an analysis of what happens if they leave for nothing - it costs the owners millions more in lost value and having to source replacements in a difficult market. 

And lets remember that whilst these deals might add substantially to the current wage bill, it would still be way, way, way below what it was last season which we are told had to be slashed only because of FFP rules.

Whilst Gallagher may not return a profit, you could see the 5m as a sunk cost and indeed any fee would be still income. Not only that, but that assumed 15k a week is not an additional expense in that if Gallagher isn't here, then we would need someone in his place, whether he would cost 15k a week is a different question.

I agree that there should be a more of a long term view taken considering potential asset value, but in the Fans Forum it was said that we have offered as much as we have in the budget, we have heard the lines about how difficult it is in India so it seems that there is very little flexibility from the owners.

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Whilst Gallagher may not return a profit, you could see the 5m as a sunk cost and indeed any fee would be still income. Not only that, but that assumed 15k a week is not an additional expense in that if Gallagher isn't here, then we would need someone in his place, whether he would cost 15k a week is a different question.

I agree that there should be a more of a long term view taken considering potential asset value, but in the Fans Forum it was said that we have offered as much as we have in the budget, we have heard the lines about how difficult it is in India so it seems that there is very little flexibility from the owners.

Again it is the inconsistency of it all.

Maybe things are tough for the owners in India - yet a few weeks ago we discovered they had 'paid' over £16 million to buy the training ground off themselves supposedly for the sole purpose of dodging FFP sanctions?

I have no reason to doubt that the Club - Waggott - have probably reached their limit on what they can offer these players without the owners sanctioning further funds to get it over the line. My belief is that because Mowbray has been unable to go to India and put forward a strong case to Mrs Desai for the extra funds that the owners have effectively left the club to wash its own face in recent months. 

We all know that on its own steam the club can't afford to do much - same goes for most at this level - it needs the owners to cough up the extra required. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

There is a huge difference between Gally and the other players mentioned. He is happy to have signed the deal in front of him whereas the others have not yet signed or agreed the offers to them.

The other huge difference is that Gallagher will be a top earner on big money by our standards given where he came from yet we have managed to find scope to at least match or even improve on that whereas the others who are on much less are supposed to accept we cannot match their demands.

If I were Lenihan - club captain and in outstanding form - and the club had just agreed and sealed a new deal with Gallagher on double my wages I might be asking Waggott and co why they didn't value me in a similar ball park? Likewise if I were Nyambe on £5k a week and Gallagher has just got another year @ £15k per week then I might not take the Club's pleas of poverty too seriously and stick to my demands a while longer. 

We've obviously got the money if needed.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

The other huge difference is that Gallagher will be a top earner on big money by our standards given where he came from yet we have managed to find scope to at least match or even improve on that whereas the others who are on much less are supposed to accept we cannot match their demands.

If I were Lenihan - club captain and in outstanding form - and the club had just agreed and sealed a new deal with Gallagher on double my wages I might be asking Waggott and co why they didn't value me in a similar ball park? Likewise if I were Nyambe on £5k a week and Gallagher has just got another year @ £15k per week then I might not take the Club's pleas of poverty too seriously and stick to my demands a while longer. 

We've obviously got the money if needed.

That scenario would only work though if we were not currently paying Gallagher anything.

Another point worth considering is this. Should the 3 players remain at Ewood until the end of the season and the team successfully gain promotion to the PL then the same 3 players risk the offers being withdrawn as we will certainly have better options with bigger financial clout.

I still believe two of the 3 will sign new deals and hopefully soon enough.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Another point worth considering is this. Should the 3 players remain at Ewood until the end of the season and the team successfully gain promotion to the PL then the same 3 players risk the offers being withdrawn as we will certainly have better options with bigger financial clout.

I believe all the players Mowbray wants to keep, will sign. That does not mean that I think all of them will sign on

It's worth noting with Gallagher that another goal would put him in amongst the top 20 scorers in the division, not bad for someone who has only started half the matches and even then only as a wide forward with significant defensive responsibility. 

Give him a traditional no9 role and he will easily be a 15-20 goals a season man at this level if he plays the majority of the season there. Therefore well worth keeping on imo, given that BBD will almost certainly leave this summer if we miss promotion. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

TM mentioned this recently,  ie the out of contract players may find if they wait too long,  the club secures replacements for them .

7 hours ago, El Tombro said:

Hopefully. Sharpe suggested he thinks one will sign in any case, which I suspect is Lenihan. He's hopeful a second will sign, which I reckon will be Nyambe. I think Rothwell will be the runaway (no pun intended), should there be one, but fingers crossed their agents see sense by the time the window shuts.

Possibly the best outcome. Dolan could come in for Rothwell.He's always looked to me like a No 10.

Not that I want to lose Rothwell though. At last we seem to have depth in the squad, the subs bench looks strong.

Maybe that's another factor in our rise---competition for places.

• Backroom

I think Nyambe and Rothwell will move on if we don’t go up, always randomly expected Nyambe to go to Bournemouth 

Our form may help if we keep it up, I think both of them will attract clubs towards the top of this league but not the premier league, however when there’s only 2 teams above you we seem a more attractive option

7 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Nyambe evidenced today why he is not yet worth the money he is allegedly seeking and I am absolutely sure there is not another Championship club that would be offering him a higher salary. His end product today was as bad as I have seen from him.

We don't know the money that he is supposedly seeking. He was blunt going forward today but no one from an attacking sense had a good game, and Nyambe has made a critical impact to our 6 game winning run.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Nyambe evidenced today why he is not yet worth the money he is allegedly seeking and I am absolutely sure there is not another Championship club that would be offering him a higher salary. His end product today was as bad as I have seen from him.

You could argue Rothwell and Lenihan and the rest of the team didn't have an end product today as numerous passes went astray and crosses over or under hit. Personally I thought the pitch didn't help any of our players today.

• Like 1

Lenihan assisted the defence to keep a clean sheet, nullified the Huddersfield attack - job done as part of a 3 man back line.

Rothwell struggled as the midfield was over run at times due to RN being caught too far forward meaning his attacking options were limited due to covering for the missing wing back.

Nyambe and his final passing were atrocious, indeed he was blunt going forward most of the game and did not put one decent ball into the central players.

2 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Lenihan assisted the defence to keep a clean sheet, nullified the Huddersfield attack - job done as part of a 3 man back line.

Rothwell struggled as the midfield was over run at times due to RN being caught too far forward meaning his attacking options were limited due to covering for the missing wing back.

Nyambe and his final passing were atrocious, indeed he was blunt going forward most of the game and did not put one decent ball into the central players.

In reply to your post I was specifically referring to the lack of end product (as you alluded to) by the vast majority of our players. We didn't concede and surely Nyambe takes some credit here as he is part of a five man defence when the opponents attack. It's clear from previous posts that you don't rate Nyambe but he was no worse than anybody else today. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

So you are putting Rothwell's poor performance mainly down to Nyambe?

30 minutes ago, arbitro said:

In reply to your post I was specifically referring to the lack of end product (as you alluded to) by the vast majority of our players. We didn't concede and surely Nyambe takes some credit here as he is part of a five man defence when the opponents attack. It's clear from previous posts that you don't rate Nyambe but he was no worse than anybody else today. 

You are so wrong on your point that I don’t rate him , I have pointed out areas where he needs to improve his game. In my opinion he hasn’t progressed as much as I thought he would. Yes he is a good defender at times but similarly, where Rovers often concede is down his flank and he has been found wanting and missing on numerous occasions this season.

17 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

So you are putting Rothwell's poor performance mainly down to Nyambe?

Not entirely but he had much more defensive covering to do as Nyambe was caught missing on many occasions during the game. He also gave the ball away to many times meaning both Travis and Rothwell were on the back foot chasing back

23 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

You are so wrong on your point that I don’t rate him , I have pointed out areas where he needs to improve his game. In my opinion he hasn’t progressed as much as I thought he would. Yes he is a good defender at times but similarly, where Rovers often concede is down his flank and he has been found wanting and missing on numerous occasions this season.

That sounds like a summation of not rating somebody. 

• Like 3

Venkys now face THE biggest Acid test of their tenure at this Club...we are in a fantastic position and our hand is strong.

They either back us for Promotion,and the financial riches that would follow,or they sell for short term gains and wreck our best chance in a decade.

January.....do or die.

• Like 5