BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Contract Situation

3 hours ago, Miller11 said:

The offer for Nyambe has been on the table for nearly 2 years now. For the entirety of that period we’ve been assured that it’s as good an offer as the club can make. We’ve not heard that the deal is being re-negotiated due to the player being 2 years more experienced, playing x amount more games, or becoming a more integral part of the team. There were clearly some big budget changes last season when we trimmed off a load of big earners… did that not give some scope to change the offer?

”Nobody knows what he’s being offered” is true, although while not exact, it’s not hard to get a ballpark idea of any of our players reported wages, or the offers made. We also do know that there is an ongoing issue with being able to pay academy graduates a going rate. This isn’t due to budget or ceilings, it’s due to a silly, inflexible model being implemented by inflexible, illogical people.

Doubling Nyambe’s wage from 4 to 8k would still only put him level with what Johnson and Davenport currently reportedly pick up. 

If you think that the latest contract offered to Nyambe is still the same as he was offered two years ago then more fool you. 

The biggest fool though is his idiot of an agent, who now has an injured player soon to be out of contact and no takers. In the circumstances his best option is likely to be to stay here, but if (IF) we do go up he's not good enough to play in the Premier League so he'll end up shafted. Thanks to his idiot agent. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I don't get this backwards logic of directly comparing Nyambe's potential wage to that of our main earners. Circumstance dictates wages im sure as much as anything, including age and where a player has come from. For Gallagher or Kaminski to be on a similar but extended deal would not cause any noticeable rise on the current wage bill, to put Nyambe on par with those 2 will, hence why they are totally different situations. The fact that we have offered as much as we can suggests that we need the owners to be more flexible in how much they are willing to spend to protect an asset.

Some good points on what we’re actually trying wage wise.

I would add to that, there always has to be a wage bill limit, and thus whilst I don’t want see this sort of scenario every season, (players leaving or 1 year remaining) I also don’t want to see the club making loads of players top wage earners just for the sake of keeping hold.

That inhibits our ability to be competitive with potential signings.

Out of the three players - I think it’s obvious that Lenihan leaving would be an absolute disaster. The other two, Id probably put on a similar “very disappointing” scale.

Zeefuik signed and sorted before July 1st though, would make me feel a bit better about the scenario.

Just now, JBiz said:

Some good points on what we’re actually trying wage wise.

I would add to that, there always has to be a wage bill limit, and thus whilst I don’t want see this sort of scenario every season, (players leaving or 1 year remaining) I also don’t want to see the club making loads of players top wage earners just for the sake of keeping hold.

That inhibits our ability to be competitive with potential signings.

Out of the three players - I think it’s obvious that Lenihan leaving would be an absolute disaster. The other two, Id probably put on a similar “very disappointing” scale.

Zeefuik signed and sorted before July 1st though, would make me feel a bit better about the scenario.

Zeefuik has to prove that he is capable first to warrant a deal going into next season. His chance is now with Nyambe out.

I am not happy with so many key players soon to be out of contract but I am not convinced that Mowbray or Waggott have much say in the matter.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Ben Frost said:

If you think that the latest contract offered to Nyambe is still the same as he was offered two years ago then more fool you. 

The biggest fool though is his idiot of an agent, who now has an injured player soon to be out of contact and no takers. In the circumstances his best option is likely to be to stay here, but if (IF) we do go up he's not good enough to play in the Premier League so he'll end up shafted. Thanks to his idiot agent. 

Every time there has been any reports about contract discussions over the last 2 years we’ve been told that he is being offered a “very competitive deal” that we can’t improve upon.

5 hours ago, Displaced Rover said:

As others have said, no one knows what he's been offered or what he's asking for.

I wish we'd kept hold of him but Ryan Nyambe is not as irreplaceable as people make out. He's a good defensive full back and very average going forward. Again would prefer to keep him but I believe Rothwell and Lenihan are/will be bigger losses.

Well we'll be losing all of them!

2 hours ago, JBiz said:

But it will cost more money to sign and pay Z than it would to keep Nyambe! Where's the logic?

If we keep playing hard-ball like this, we will  be producing great young players for everybody else for free!

Edited by 47er
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, Mellor Rover said:

Or Nyambe just fancies something else after 13 years here...

That may be true, we've all moved jobs for a change of scenery.

Offer him what he's worth though first and take the financial aspect out of his decision making. 

If he then still wants that change of scenery, fair enough.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Mellor Rover said:

Or Nyambe just doesn’t want to stay… I don’t get why more people don’t just see a young man who’s been here 13 years, no commitments, got a wealth of experience for someone still so young and wants to see what else is out there. He may well think there’s more to life than Blackburn Rovers!

I have to say I do agree and see the sense in it.

I guess my blood is a bit to blue and white.

20 hours ago, Mellor Rover said:

Or Nyambe just doesn’t want to stay… I don’t get why more people don’t just see a young man who’s been here 13 years, no commitments, got a wealth of experience for someone still so young and wants to see what else is out there. He may well think there’s more to life than Blackburn Rovers!

He’s be wrong 😁

On 28/02/2022 at 16:12, Mellor Rover said:

Or Nyambe just fancies something else after 13 years here...

That's an excellent point you make. Maybe he fancy a new challenge at new club or new country like France or Belgium. 

I have read another social media site that talks broke down about 3 weeks ago and in a couple weeks before that we have 5 meetings with his contract where another improve contract offer was put to him but still no agreement can be make. 

So thats leave him leaving the club. Will he find a bigger club? we will see in the summer

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

That's an excellent point you make. Maybe he fancy a new challenge at new club or new country like France or Belgium. 

I have read another social media site that talks broke down about 3 weeks ago and in a couple weeks before that we have 5 meetings with his contract where another improve contract offer was put to him but still no agreement can be make. 

So thats leave him leaving the club. Will he find a bigger club? we will see in the summer

He will not get a bigger club than the Rovers.

33 minutes ago, rigger said:

He will not get a bigger club than the Rovers.

He'll get paid what he believes he's worth though and that seems to be the case for others.

How do we progress if we keep losing good players for nothing and having to start again at the end of every season?

The admin/ ownership at Rovers seem blind to reality.

13 minutes ago, 47er said:

He'll get paid what he believes he's worth though and that seems to be the case for others.

How do we progress if we keep losing good players for nothing and having to start again at the end of every season?

The admin/ ownership at Rovers seem blind to reality.

With his injury record, I don't think he will get a long contract, getting what he thinks he is worth. You say we keep losing players. Which players have we lost for nothing ?

12 minutes ago, rigger said:

With his injury record, I don't think he will get a long contract, getting what he thinks he is worth. You say we keep losing players. Which players have we lost for nothing ?

C'mn, I said "if" we keep losing players. I was obviously talking about potential losses at the end of the season---Lenihan, Rothwell and Nyambe and further losses down the track as contracts end.

You knew that and you are being annoying.

9 minutes ago, 47er said:

C'mn, I said "if" we keep losing players. I was obviously talking about potential losses at the end of the season---Lenihan, Rothwell and Nyambe and further losses down the track as contracts end.

You knew that and you are being annoying.

You state. If we keep losing players for nothing. I ask again which players have we lost for nothing. It doesn't sound as dramatic, if you word it : If we don't rectify the potential to loose players. I am not being annoying, I am being factual.

Edited by rigger

Surely everyone's not that naive to believe that it just so happens that we can't agree new contracts with the 3 players that will leave at the end of the season?

It can't be that all 3 are being ridiculous in there requests, surely has to be a huge part of it being poor management and a shit offer of wages? 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Surely everyone's not that naive to believe that it just so happens that we can't agree new contracts with the 3 players that will leave at the end of the season?

It can't be that all 3 are being ridiculous in there requests, surely has to be a huge part of it being poor management and a shit offer of wages? 

'Poor management and a shit offer of wages' would, in my view, be offering more than we can afford. You've only to look at the mess Derby find themselves in, amongst others, to see how easy it is to fail in the gamble of promotion.
I've no idea what has been offered, nor what we can afford but surely the 2 are closely aligned?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, rigger said:

I think Nyambe will be fine.

Despite his 'injury record', i think he's averaged some 30+ games per season with Rovers which could have been more without, IMO, Mowbray's selection idiosyncrasies. 

I have little doubt he will have a selection of clubs and with no transfer fee involved he will, IMO, secure, as a minimum, a 3 year contract worth £2.3m, very possibly over 3 times what Rovers pay him.

I think it's madness and crass management from Rovers when considering a potential replacement in Deyo who according to Sharpe would cost a transfer fee of £3million alone and in my book is not as good as Nyambe! 

Utter and complete madness IMO.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Mercer said:

I think Nyambe will be fine.

Despite his 'injury record', i think he's averaged some 30+ games per season with Rovers which could have been more without, IMO, Mowbray's selection idiosyncrasies. 

I have little doubt he will have a selection of clubs and with no transfer fee involved he will, IMO, secure, as a minimum, a 3 year contract worth £2.3m, very possibly over 3 times what Rovers pay him.

I think it's madness and crass management from Rovers when considering a potential replacement in Deyo who according to Sharpe would cost a transfer fee of £3million alone and in my book is not as good as Nyambe! 

Utter and complete madness IMO.

Averaging around 30 games a year, and most of his absences have been not only through injury, but the same recurring injury, means he averages only 2/3 to 3/4 of games, so any long-term contract will potentially involve paying him to sit out a full year of it. Not quite such a compelling proposition.

46 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Averaging around 30 games a year, and most of his absences have been not only through injury, but the same recurring injury, means he averages only 2/3 to 3/4 of games, so any long-term contract will potentially involve paying him to sit out a full year of it. Not quite such a compelling proposition.

So you are calculating your average from a starting point of him being 17/18 years old.

Mowbray stated after the QPR game that Nyambe “has never really had injuries”, when talking about the knee problem he picked up being his first proper one. He’s missed games this season through concussion - hardly preventable or likely recurring. Last season only Kaminski, Lenihan and Armstrong managed more starts than him. The season before he managed 30 starts despite being sat on the bench for the first 10 games of the season where Elliott Bennett was inexplicably preferred.

Hamstring niggles happen (see Pickering this year, and Zeefuik has already missed games because of it), but it’s only in Nyambe’s case that it’s made out to be a long term issue. The fact he is closing in on 200 games having just turned 24 makes a mockery of it.

It’s another example of Nyambe, for some reason, being held to different standards and judged differently to other players. This thread is absolutely full of it… it’s supposed to be about the contract situation, but with at least 5 players with deals expiring, at least half this thread is people disparaging one single player.

• Like 4