BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Contract Situation

3 minutes ago, islander200 said:

He wasnt limited to 200k though was he?

Bid confirmed for Dembele and that bid that was accepted must have been the fee Bournemouth paid for him as they were hardly going to pay more than the fees agreed with us and Birmingham.

As I said, we have no idea if that bid was made on the condition that Rothwell was about to be sold, which is plausible considering that Mowbray mentioned 2 coming in with the proceeds. All ifs buts and maybes, we spent 700k.

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

We spent 700k on forward players

I know, youve taken my comment out of context. Either way, not much to supplement a promotion push, especially when 500k of it goes on a player unfortunately injured straight away.

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

As I said, we have no idea if that bid was made on the condition that Rothwell was about to be sold, which is plausible considering that Mowbray mentioned 2 coming in with the proceeds. All ifs buts and maybes, we spent 700k.

I know, youve taken my comment out of context. Either way, not much to supplement a promotion push, especially when 500k of it goes on a player unfortunately injured straight away.

Well the timeline suggests that it had nothing to do with Rothwell being sold considering Mowbray spoke about the owners stance on the previous Thursday and Rovers never accepted any bid for Rothwell.

Plus Mowbray himself has stated we had the opportunity to bring someone in.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Given we had 2 bids for players accepted but players either stayed at their current club or moved elsewhere. 

We got the squad we got till of the season. Let's focus on securing promotion 

29 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Well the timeline suggests that it had nothing to do with Rothwell being sold considering Mowbray spoke about the owners stance on the previous Thursday and Rovers never accepted any bid for Rothwell.

Plus Mowbray himself has stated we had the opportunity to bring someone in.

I don't think there was a specific timeline or date of any bid for Dembele. The fact that he left on deadline day doesn't mean that Bournemouth bid or declared interest on that same day, never mind us.

If you want to take your interpretation as proof that funds were there and not spent and put it solely down to incompetence by Mowbray, Waggott or whoever, fair enough. I tend to judge available budgets by what we do spend, not by rumours of deals that fell away. It doesn't even seem that Mowbray has full autonomy on transfers anyway, not being given the choice to sell and replace as he wishes, so it wouldn't surprise me if we didn't have a specific budget and Mowbray could only spend funds based on specific parameters, including age/position, but again that would be purely speculation on my side.

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We got the squad we got till of the season. Let's focus on securing promotion 

The idea that supporters with no direct influence on anything can lack focus on this season is a bizarre one.

But if this is genuinely your stance, why have you spent all weekend talking about contract offers for beyond this season?

• Like 1

I don't think there was a specific timeline or date of any bid for Dembele. The fact that he left on deadline day doesn't mean that Bournemouth bid or declared interest on that same day, never mind us.

If you want to take your interpretation as proof that funds were there and not spent and put it solely down to incompetence by Mowbray, Waggott or whoever, fair enough. I tend to judge available budgets by what we do spend, not by rumours of deals that fell away. It doesn't even seem that Mowbray has full autonomy on transfers anyway, not being given the choice to sell and replace as he wishes, so it wouldn't surprise me if we didn't have a specific budget and Mowbray could only spend funds based on specific parameters, including age/position, but again that would be purely speculation on my side.

The idea that supporters with no direct influence on anything can lack focus on this season is a bizarre one.

But if this is genuinely your stance, why have you spent all weekend talking about contract offers for beyond this season?

I'm going off what the manager said publicly.A week before all this Rothwell drama he was telling the media that a European based forward player was close to joining.What happened with that?

In the summer did the owners instruct Mowbray that the only striker he was allowed to bring in was Maja?As confirmed he was in the building so can only presume the funds were there to get that deal done so again I would put it down to incompetence on whoever is doing the deals rather than the owners not giving any scope to bring in a forward player.

I'm not saying it's all Mowbrays fault that nobody brought in January but I would put it on The team on the ground rather than the owners if 1.5 million+ was left unspent because they couldn't find anyone.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, islander200 said:

I'm going off what the manager said publicly.A week before all this Rothwell drama he was telling the media that a European based forward player was close to joining.What happened with that?

In the summer did the owners instruct Mowbray that the only striker he was allowed to bring in was Maja?As confirmed he was in the building so can only presume the funds were there to get that deal done so again I would put it down to incompetence on whoever is doing the deals rather than the owners not giving any scope to bring in a forward player.

I'm not saying it's all Mowbrays fault that nobody brought in January but I would put it on The team on the ground rather than the owners if 1.5 million+ was left unspent because they couldn't find anyone.

Key being the word "if."

Key being the word "if."

The manager said we were close to a European forward.

The Peterborough chairman confirmed a bid for Dembele.

I don't believe the club were making bids on the off chance the owners would change their stance on Rothwell.

And Maja was in the building so 100% there was scope to bring in a forward player in the summer.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

why keep going over week after week, day after day about if we sign a forward or this or that given what you said to me earlier today. This is what you said

" Don't focus on ifs but and maybes, judge on what we do, not what we could have done."

So which ones is it? 

3 minutes ago, islander200 said:

The manager said we were close to a European forward.

The Peterborough chairman confirmed a bid for Dembele.

I don't believe the club were making bids on the off chance the owners would change their stance on Rothwell.

And Maja was in the building so 100% there was scope to bring in a forward player in the summer.

How are we to interpret the comment about close to a European striker? Did he agree terms, have a medical, travel to England or did we just make an enquiry? Ultimately we fell short in terms of our signings and that failure is costing us massively now and will probably cost us even more come the end of the season.

15 minutes ago, arbitro said:

How are we to interpret the comment about close to a European striker? Did he agree terms, have a medical, travel to England or did we just make an enquiry? Ultimately we fell short in terms of our signings and that failure is costing us massively now and will probably cost us even more come the end of the season.

Im still confident that we will finish in the playoffs.

My point with that post is according to the manager and the Peterborough chairman we did have more money than just the 200k used to bring Hedges in, which is what roversfan suggested.

I do think money went unspent going off what the manager and media have been saying.If funds went unspent that is down to the people on the ground not the owners.

The owners were happy to spend 15 million on 3 forward players in the space of 12 months upon promotion from League 1.The owners let the manager bring 12 players through the door last summer on the back of the pandemic and no crowds.

Find it odd they then wouldn't give the manager any money to spend when sat 2nd in the league.

5 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Im still confident that we will finish in the playoffs.

My point with that post is according to the manager and the Peterborough chairman we did have more money than just the 200k used to bring Hedges in, which is what roversfan suggested.

I do think money went unspent going off what the manager and media have been saying.If funds went unspent that is down to the people on the ground not the owners.

The owners were happy to spend 15 million on 3 forward players in the space of 12 months upon promotion from League 1.The owners let the manager bring 12 players through the door last summer on the back of the pandemic and no crowds.

Find it odd they then wouldn't give the manager any money to spend when sat 2nd in the league.

But according to Waggott we are having to trim the wage bill and all overheads to deal with any potential P&S implications. I personally don't believe the owners were willing to spend decent money which, given our position could have given us a great opportunity, an opportunity that we probably won't see again.

16 minutes ago, arbitro said:

But according to Waggott we are having to trim the wage bill and all overheads to deal with any potential P&S implications. I personally don't believe the owners were willing to spend decent money which, given our position could have given us a great opportunity, an opportunity that we probably won't see again.

16 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I'm not suggesting that even if they could the owners would have broke the bank but I do think we had a couple of million that was left unspent.

Like in the summer all eggs in one basket with Maja and when that deal breaks down the team on the ground have nothing else lined up 

Edited by islander200
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Recycled old news. Leeds nor anyone else came in for him, not even a fellow championship club. If leeds survive relegation there is absolutely no chance of them coming in for him, same for Southampton. Both clubs have much better players in the first team as well as back up/reserves.

Looking down the list of "lowly" premiership clubs - I dont see any of them having an interest in him, he isnt better than they have.

Looking at the relegation teams - is he bettering himself at Norwich, Burnley, Watford, Brighton, Brentford and Everton? No because they all have better full backs and he will be a bench warmer at best.

I think he will have a better option by going overseas, just a hunch.

• 2 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, Wheelton Blue said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/20039741.mowbray-gives-latest-backburn-rovers-out-of-contract-trio/

Is this the same pay pay structure that affords Ayala a reputed £17k per week, eh Tony?

Born yesterday, we were not.

That’s the problem rumour and speculation relying on tittle tattle where wages are concerned - championship football is not away with money even the parachuted clubs have financial issues where wages are concerned big bucks are no longer available unless you want to do a derby

3 hours ago, 1864roverite said:

That’s the problem rumour and speculation relying on tittle tattle where wages are concerned - championship football is not away with money even the parachuted clubs have financial issues where wages are concerned big bucks are no longer available unless you want to do a derby

And yet Mowbray admits they can earn double elsewhere - that's not tittle tattle. So other Championship clubs are offering double what we are (none of the three will be  be going to Premiership clubs).

There is something wrong if we can't pay home grown players the going rate.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

If that is anywhere near accurate we sit around 16th in the wages table for Championship, behind the likes of PNE, Reading and Millwall, no wonder we couldn't sign a striker.

Edited by Gav

21 minutes ago, Gav said:

If that is anywhere near accurate we sit around 16th in the wages table for Championship, behind the likes of PNE, Reading and Millwall, no wonder we couldn't sign a striker.

If that's accurate then I'd love someone to explain why our annual losses are well over double those of Millwall/PNE.

• Like 3