BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Summer transfer window 2021.

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Who were they? Again, if true, managers I suspect regularly decline players they dont want personally, the manager should have the final say.

But either way, the assumption was a replacement for Armstrong.

If Mowbray had wanted to bring someone in in January he could have. I think they spent most of the time trying to keep Armstrong and to get him to sign a new contract.

The midfielder was Ben Whiteman again but not sure on the centre back.

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I've not saying you have said recklessly spending but Mowbray lack of planning and proper organise transfer plan for each season has cost us. And it appears that him and Waggott screwed up this season budget. I think Mowbray was surprised he is still in a job but is this down to the club not able to bring in the right replacement. Didn't someone post that we spoke to Wilder, Neil and Nathan Jones this summer about replacing Mowbray. Can't remember who said it btw

I hope we do sign a permanent replacement for Armstrong. I think Dale would be decent for a million or even Morris from Barnsley for a couple of million pounds

I hope we have a new footballing structure at the club by next summer and new man in the dugout. 

Healthy kitty? Only after a similar budget to what Mowbray had in a season. Thats all. Invest it wisely and sensible. 

Surely Mowbray knew Armstrong would be gone this summer if we werent promote so why not look at buying a replacement for him last January. Whether he would got the finances to do so I don't know but surely some long term planning should have happen at club. Maybe having a Director of football with Head coach structure would served us much better. 

I very much doubt that first sentence in bold happened.

And the second sentence in bold is asking for something that simply doesnt and wont happen under Venkys.

7 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Totally agree what you say about the owners apart from the just covering losses part ,they have given competitive funds since Mowbray here and when we first came down agreed to spend silly money stupidly.

But Mowbray has had a very big hand in the situation we find ourselves in.He will have meetings etc with the finance people and would have known were we stood.

It was on his recommendation that lucrative and long term deals were given to the "men" in the dressing room only for 5 minute later the likes of Mulgrew on way out and we had to pay him for nothing for 2 years.Plus the decision to spend 12 million quid on two young players was on his recommendation.

You keep making out we should feel sorry for Mowbray that we can't do anything in the market when it is his mistakes that put us in this position

I dont feel that this summer is his fault, it would have been tricky and frustrating for any manager. 

I dont have sympathy for him in general though, as I have said numerous times, it is only the incompetence and disinterest of the owners that keep him in a job in the first place. 

I look back at Owen Coyles summer here. Massive cut backs, huge fire sale, minimal reinvestment although he at least had the ability to bring in senior freebies and had no embargo. But again, wouldnt have had the job if the owners ran the club competently.

3 minutes ago, phili said:

If Mowbray had wanted to bring someone in in January he could have. I think they spent most of the time trying to keep Armstrong and to get him to sign a new contract.

The midfielder was Ben Whiteman again but not sure on the centre back.

Like I said, I am not convinced personally, and it is illogical that the funds at that point are no longer available, especially as they would be a fraction of the income and savings made this summer.

No matter which way you look at it, not the correct way to run a football club.

I very much doubt that first sentence in bold happened.

And the second sentence in bold is asking for something that simply doesnt and wont happen under Venkys.

Why would a Rovers fan post it then? 

Disagree. Mowbray has been backed everytime. You do like sticking up for him over. I think Mowbray has overrule his chief scout too many times and hence why he left. 

Why would Phili post these things if not true?

We are in an embargo now. Or at least we might as well be. We could still sign teenagers on loan if we were under one.

There are clubs under League restrictions and embargoes who have done more business than us.

Remember the last time we were under an embargo? We still signed players (albeit poor ones). Nonetheless we handed out permanent deals on OK looking signings at the time - Danny Guthrie and Hope Akpan, and a very solid loan in Tom Lawrence.

So all this talk about avoiding FFP trouble - what's the point? Where has it got us? We still can't sign anyone by the looks of things.

Unless the truth is that Venkys have decided that no contracts are being issued and no signings authorised. This would make a lot more sense.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

Why would a Rovers fan post it then? 

Disagree. Mowbray has been backed everytime. You do like sticking up for him over. I think Mowbray has overrule his chief scout too many times and hence why he left. 

Why would Phili post these things if not true?

You said that you didnt know who posted that about various managers. But not everything on this messageboard will be true anyway, its up to us as individuals to believe what we want and to what degree to take what we want with a pinch of salt. Some will be true and will happen, some will be true but might change and not happen, some will be hearsay and people will be merely passing on what they have heard not knowing that it was incorrect info, and I am sure one or two along the years have probably made assumptions that were totally wrong. 

Chaddy, a few months ago you refused to acknowledge any criticism of Mowbray. You are not of a position to be lecturing anyone on defending Mowbray. I am merely of the opinion that I will blame him for the substantial amount of things that I do know that he is responsible for, the reasons which have meant that I have wanted him sacked for a lot longer than you. Results that caused a regression in our league finish last season, poor signings especially spending far too much on Gallagher and Brereton, illogical and inconsistent tactics, players out of position, plenty of things to blame him for without me needing to resort to conspiracies, theories and assumptions to want him out.

• Like 2

You said that you didnt know who posted that about various managers. But not everything on this messageboard will be true anyway, its up to us as individuals to believe what we want and to what degree to take what we want with a pinch of salt. Some will be true and will happen, some will be true but might change and not happen, some will be hearsay and people will be merely passing on what they have heard not knowing that it was incorrect info, and I am sure one or two along the years have probably made assumptions that were totally wrong. 

Chaddy, a few months ago you refused to acknowledge any criticism of Mowbray. You are not of a position to be lecturing anyone on defending Mowbray. I am merely of the opinion that I will blame him for the substantial amount of things that I do know that he is responsible for, the reasons which have meant that I have wanted him sacked for a lot longer than you. Results that caused a regression in our league finish last season, poor signings especially spending far too much on Gallagher and Brereton, illogical and inconsistent tactics, players out of position, plenty of things to blame him for without me needing to resort to conspiracies, theories and assumptions to want him out.

One of the managers told me he had been approached and about the others being approached. This could very well have been him trying to cheer me up on Rovers and how incompetently we are being run at the moment.

So will understand if no one wants to believe it as is everyone's right. I don't normally listen to most things i have been told especially with my business but thought i would share that.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, rigger said:

Unpredictable, in an unpredictable team, with an unpredictable system and an unpredictable manager. Could it get any better ?

The current state of the club unfortunately. It won't change any time soon unless we can fluke promotion or get competent owners. Neither are likely. 

20 minutes ago, rigger said:

Unpredictable, in an unpredictable team, with an unpredictable system and an unpredictable manager. Could it get any better ?

Is it really unpredictable ?

Our transfer business this year is much like previous years - very last minute (though this is in someways driven by finances).

We will flirt with top 6, prior to flirting with relegation - before (hopefully) ending lower mid-table.

We will play the odd good match - though rarely for 90 minutes.

We won't get thrashed by many - but will mainly be on the wrong side of single goal defeats. Which will allow TM to persist with the narrative that we are almost there.

We will make a star for at least one Premiership club - as we polish their rough diamonds for them.

TM will blame the referee, pitch, injuries, finances, bad luck - but rarely himself. Fans will blame TM for poor tactics, picking the wrong team - actually the list goes on a while - he should have walked at the end of last season.

Crowds will continue to dwindle.

The only difference this year - many fans had high expectations of top 6 last year - TBH we had the players. This year is different - but some high quality loans could make all the difference.

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, JHRover said:

We are in an embargo now. Or at least we might as well be. We could still sign teenagers on loan if we were under one.

There are clubs under League restrictions and embargoes who have done more business than us.

Remember the last time we were under an embargo? We still signed players (albeit poor ones). Nonetheless we handed out permanent deals on OK looking signings at the time - Danny Guthrie and Hope Akpan, and a very solid loan in Tom Lawrence.

So all this talk about avoiding FFP trouble - what's the point? Where has it got us? We still can't sign anyone by the looks of things.

Unless the truth is that Venkys have decided that no contracts are being issued and no signings authorised. This would make a lot more sense.

I'm not going to get into a big debate with you again over this.But one simple question is there many clubs making permanent cash signings this summer in the Championship?

Even the free transfers, probably a hand full I would have been happy with us signing.

One of the reasons we are in this position, is throughout the Venky reign,we have handed out lucrative contracts and paid transfer fees for players who were either sub standard or ageing with only a year left capable of playing at this level but we hand them 2 year contracts with a years extension.

I am satisfied with loan signings unless money is spent on someone who is either a young player with potential and ready to play now or someone no older than 28 who is not injury prone.

Most of us want the manager out so would be beyond stupid to want the owners to allow Mowbray to hand out more 2 year deals to 30 somethings who a new manager probably will want rid of 

13 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Is it really unpredictable ?

Our transfer business this year is much like previous years - very last minute (though this is in someways driven by finances).

We will flirt with top 6, prior to flirting with relegation - before (hopefully) ending lower mid-table.

We will play the odd good match - though rarely for 90 minutes.

We won't get thrashed by many - but will mainly be on the wrong side of single goal defeats. Which will allow TM to persist with the narrative that we are almost there.

We will make a star for at least one Premiership club - as we polish their rough diamonds for them.

TM will blame the referee, pitch, injuries, finances, bad luck - but rarely himself. Fans will blame TM for poor tactics, picking the wrong team - actually the list goes on a while - he should have walked at the end of last season.

Crowds will continue to dwindle.

The only difference this year - many fans had high expectations of top 6 last year - TBH we had the players. This year is different - but some high quality loans could make all the difference.

The possible new signing is said to be unpredictable. Do you think you can name our next line-up, can you say what formation we will play. The only thing predictable is that the deluded Mowbray will still be in situ.  

Edited by rigger

Ian Poveda boys got some dribbling Skillllz, kinkladze esque! at youth level. hardly looks a 'mowbray type player' though, if he was to come in and get starts ahead of Chapman then poor Chapman must have had a crack at mowbrays missus or something...

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo

2 hours ago, phili said:

Put it this way, Venky's only discuss things with Pasha and Mowbray. 

Waggott and Cheston have never once spoken to Venky's themselves directly, only to their underlings.

What has probably changed in the last 6 months is the realisation we have not been run all that well and not even the sale of Armstrong has been enough to cover FFP and allow us to sign players. We seem to now have a wage ceiling of £5k a week, which is very new.

If you know you are likely to go into an embargo you spend as much as possible before you do, knowing you will have assets to sell if you need to sell them. You never make do with loan signings unless you are absolutely desperate. It's better to test your own kids instead of using a loan signing as you are building your asset value up.

If correct then we are pretty screwed and should be looking at getting our kids ready for League One

My only worry would be that most of those clips, where I admit he looks good, are at youth level, not first team. If he was our player, I would say that he would be a great future prospect. I don't think he would push us on to be play-off contenders this season.

Edited by rigger
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Boroblue said:

Does this mean chapman is on the way out. I’ve only briefly looked at this. He’s a right winger.

From the clips I have seen he is left footed. Has his loan been confirmed ?

Edited by rigger