BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ranting about trivial issues

I have to confess,I'd be so excited by his sacking that I might accidentally describe myself as super-excited. 

One of my pet hates is, 'We're going to spend some time unpacking that statement.' I unpack shopping bags not statements. 

Edited by gumboots
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, gumboots said:

I have to confess,I'd be so excited by his sacking that I might accidentally describe myself as super-excited. 

One of my pet hates is, 'We're going to spend some time unpacking that statement.' I unpack shopping bags not statements. 

You're a proper teacher Gumboots! (and I mean that as a compliment).

On 06/04/2021 at 07:41, RoverDom said:

Love corporate BS I have a competition with my colleague at our monthly department wide meeting where we all have to give an update on our work to see how many we can get in - synergies, segeway, across the piste, square the circle, risk appetite, onboarding, manage expectations (i.e. the work won't be done on time / to the right quality), touch base, horizon scanning. 

Apart from these monthly meetings I've always avoided corporate BS through fear of sounding like someone off the apprentice. 

The Missus and one of her colleagues invented one and chucked it into a meeting just to see if folk have any clue what they are waffling about... 

‘yeah so I think we need to rinse the octopus with this one’.

One fella carried on using it!

• Like 6

On 07/04/2021 at 11:52, oldjamfan1 said:

This modern/recent trend of prefixing 'emotion' words with 'super' (e.g. "I was super-excited to hear that Tony Mowbray had been sacked").

Just fucking stop it!!

The first time I heard the prefix super was when I visited a mate of mine in Texas in May 2015. He had lived in the States for twenty five years and was coming out with super this, super that and super the other. It was a wtf moment and I’m surprised it took a year or two to catch on.

• Like 1

The way the BBC promote women's sport as if its men's sport. Linked to this is the way that long established competitions (e.g. the FA Cup)now seem to be prefixed with the word 'men's'.

With apologies if I come across as sexist or a dinosaur, which I like to think I'm not, but check out the BBC sport homepage for example. 

• Like 3

For someone who has spent all their working life in the Hospitality business, my biggest rant moment goes to so called professionals who misspell the word Desserts on a menu. When I see it spelt as deserts, it really does get me stressed(desserts spelt backwards).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, only2garners said:

I get irritated by the use of dessert even if it's spelt correctly. It always seems an Americanism to me used as a replacement for pudding.

The word “dessert” originates from the French word, “desservir”, meaning “to clear the table”. High end restaurants and hotels still use it to list sweet dishes, but more establishments use sweets, puddings, even afters  these days.

You are quite right only2garners, in that countries like the US generally use the term desserts, but particularly the UK have adopted the wider range of meanings.

Personally, I’m happy with pudding.

• Moderation Lead
28 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Pop up ads on here are very annoying and won't induce me to buy anything.  In fact the opposite. 

Agree they’re annoying, but it’s a case of clicking ‘close’ once in a while and still being able to use the site for free....

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead
14 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I'd rather pay a small subscription 

I’m sure many others would, but then many others are vehemently against that too.....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Yep, I know exactly what you mea AAARRRGGHHH what was that? Fuck, I didn't see that lamppost there!

Nobody walks with their heads up these days, just a procession of zombies staring at their phones. When I am walking at my usual pace but cannot get past one of these zombies, i have to bite my tongue, but under my breath its all kinds of names spilling out1

• Like 1

All the Millionaire Celebrities who have to disclose on TV and in the media how shockingly difficult it has been for them during lockdown......having to stay put in their 10 bedroomed villa/ranch with hot tub, olympic sized swimming pool and de-luxe gymnasium.

• Like 5