BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Attendances: A cause for concern

3 minutes ago, 4000 HOLES said:

I'm not lecturing anyone, this whole thread is about attendances at Ewood, I've been a missing fan for years but it had nothing to do with any reason given on the thread. Nothing to do with ticket prices, owners, managers, how good or bad the team was doing, free live streaming etc.

If people think I'm alone in not going because they miss the old terrace days and atmosphere that came with it, then they're way off the mark. So what can the club do to encourage some of these back to Ewood? 

As for me stopping going because "I couldn't be arsed any more", that's bollocks, it was the hardest thing I ever did, it took about 3 or 4 years to feel anything like normal not being there when the Rovers played.

What I can't understand is, if you stopped going to the Rovers because you missed the terraces, what has changed to make you return.

But in those years you have missed there have been many cracking atmospheres down at Ewood, especially on the Blackburn end. There was also many cracking atmospheres in the 90s too. 
What you want isn’t an atmosphere. It’s to be able to stand up, sing and swear without other people complaining at you. Now if the club set up a zone or an area (they kind of did with the DE unreserved ) for like minded  souls that would solve your problem. But as they didn’t in 1999 you ended up in altercations with fans and then you chose to walk away. 

thanks @4000 HOLESfor becoming member of the site and posting yours views. 

I am very passionate Rovers fan who doesn't sing at all but shouts, encourages, clap and applaud the players on the pitch. I don't enjoy singing as I rather to friends about the game, and Rovers related stuff. Been a season ticket for over 20 years now and I loved going to Rovers games and during the Pandemic I totally missed attending games and it affected me badly. 

Did you see the comments I posted from Travis who said this season atmosphere has been the best since he been in the first team?

The 90's atmosphere was very good from what I can remember and I started going in 93/94 season 

I think the atmosphere through the Mark Hughes;s era was excellent. But under Ince and Allardyce time at the club the atmosphere wasn't the same. 

I would have no problem having a standing area for fans who want to stand up for the game. 

• Like 1

Thanks Chaddy, people seem to have gone on the defensive pretty quick, maybe I worded my posts wrong and they came off as lecturing. Growing up as a Rovers fan I dreamt about them getting into the 1st division and suffered the play off heartbreak at the grounds of Chelsea, Swindon and Palace, and cried like a baby after that last one. But from that and never missing a game for going on 15 years, I've missed 20 odd years. I was only trying to explain my reasons as they are different from any that had been mentioned.

Bottom line, Rovers are my team, always have been and always will be, just like everyone else on the forum. If you started going in 93/94 you missed the terrace days, atmosphere building up an hour before the game at the big matches, being packed in and the noise was something different to what you get now, I experienced both and as I say I miss those days. I also know they're not coming back but I can't apologise for the way I feel.

• Like 1

I've heard lots of reasons for not going to Ewood over the years but citing a lack of atmosphere isn't one of them. I go to the games and know many hard core Rovers fan's who don't sing, probably down to age more than anything but they are as passionate about their club as anybody else.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 4000 HOLES said:

Thanks Chaddy, people seem to have gone on the defensive pretty quick, maybe I worded my posts wrong and they came off as lecturing. Growing up as a Rovers fan I dreamt about them getting into the 1st division and suffered the play off heartbreak at the grounds of Chelsea, Swindon and Palace, and cried like a baby after that last one. But from that and never missing a game for going on 15 years, I've missed 20 odd years. I was only trying to explain my reasons as they are different from any that had been mentioned.

Bottom line, Rovers are my team, always have been and always will be, just like everyone else on the forum. If you started going in 93/94 you missed the terrace days, atmosphere building up an hour before the game at the big matches, being packed in and the noise was something different to what you get now, I experienced both and as I say I miss those days. I also know they're not coming back but I can't apologise for the way I feel.

would you return permanently if we had permanent area for standing and your season ticket was allocation for that area? 

I can apprenticed that you miss the older days but given the last few years I am more interest in watching the lunch time game and getting a burger pre match then talking to friends and people who sat around me. Thats just me. Some people like a few pints before the game and live music before a game. Everyone is different and I can apprentice different views

If I can stand and the atmosphere around me is good, that's all I want really. I've been reliably informed by some old time Rovers mates that the back corner in the BB end is pretty much stand up anyway, that's where my ticket is and I'll see what it's like. 

If I do get the bug again I want to get in to the away games again.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 4000 HOLES said:

If I can stand and the atmosphere around me is good, that's all I want really. I've been reliably informed by some old time Rovers mates that the back corner in the BB end is pretty much stand up anyway, that's where my ticket is and I'll see what it's like. 

I sat in the Blackburn end and I can say the back corner of Blackburn End in N01 area is standing. I have a couple of friends who seats are in that area. 

Away game support is excellent 

5 minutes ago, 4000 HOLES said:

I think that's definitely the part of Ewood where you'll feel happiest!

I'm all for singing, shouting, cajoling, booing, etc, and have been known to get irate & throw the odd expletive-ridden paddy from time to time, so I don't want to come across as holier than thou. But I just think that the fans in the Riverside have always been a particular sort (as alluded to in another post I made a few days back) that like to be able to watch the match whilst seated & without having to hear such frequent bad language or raucousness that typifies other areas of the ground. I think that's fair enough when there are areas of the ground accommodate that (as surely you'll recall that from your history of attendance)?

On 24/12/2021 at 11:16, Dreams of 1995 said:

Smoke bombs are used in everything from wedding photos to fantastic displays organised by fans across European football grounds 

Harmless at its very purest definition is wrong, but I wouldn’t say they are dangerous 

Flares are different and I do accept that. They need to be used by responsible people. Though in German / Dutch clubs they are organised with the club, and therefore health and safety better managed. As usual in the U.K. we are firmly of the “stick” and not the carrot. Instead pretending strict prohibition of these items will work, even in the face of evidence that it doesn’t, and so those unfortunate accidents will continue to happen 

Like it or not pyrotechnics will continue to be used in football grounds. At home there’s 4 stands and they won’t be used in the JW or Riverside so I would be sitting there if I didn’t want them. When away it will continue to happen and it’s more difficult to avoid. It needs to be better managed like it is around other major leagues. 

I think this stuff should be allowed in a controlled way. I always remember seeing flares and smoke bombs in European games and thinking it gave a real edge to the atmosphere. Especially when it came to derby games.

There are elements of ultra culture that would be good to integrate into the English clubs.

Let's just leave out the violence and far right politics eh.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Upside Down said:

I think this stuff should be allowed in a controlled way. I always remember seeing flares and smoke bombs in European games and thinking it gave a real edge to the atmosphere. Especially when it came to derby games.

There are elements of ultra culture that would be good to integrate into the English clubs.

Let's just leave out the violence and far right politics eh.

well said

14 hours ago, 4000 HOLES said:

Welcome @4000 HOLES

There may well be a number of ex-match going supporters who don't go anymore because they miss the old terraces. Fair enough, I was brought up on the BBE and I have the memories.

I suspect, though, that there are far more fans who do go since the advent of modern stadia. I'm pretty sure that my teenage daughter would not enjoy the 'old' Ewood any where near as much as she does the 'new' Ewood.

Compared to say Blackpool, the facilities at Ewood are fantastic (not withstanding Waggott penny pinching on remedial work).

I sit in the JW Upper opposite the BBE penalty spot. I get the best of both worlds; an amazing view of the game plus the atmosphere from the lads in N01.

As others have said, N01 seems to be the place for you.

I hope that the Ewood crowd can play a significant part in tonights game, roaring the team on and backing them loud and proud.

The frustrations of Hull being cancelled should be taken out tonight and getting behind the team to win what is now a crucial game in the context of some of the results and cancellations over the xmas period.

Win tonight and Sunday could be another fabulous Ewood occasion.

• Like 4

Well the crowd has been fantastic from minute 1 of the Sheff Utd game, even after going a goal down and all the potential for them to turn post the Fulham debacle.

Great support, and the best possible riposte to all the nonsense you read about ‘negative’, ‘crap’ fans at Ewood.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 4

Yet, there were still only 13,400 home fans there for a festive fixture with the club almost top of the Championship. Not far away from a standard crowd in the Bowyer era (and they weren’t exactly the glory days!)

There was a big turn out of walk ons, as you would expect to see for a team on the up (around 6,000), but it is the lost ST holders that are really now showing their absence. If we still had 10k ST holders, you’d have been looking at a bumper 18k ish crowd last night. Other midweek games and Cat A games also won’t have that Christmas surge of 6,000 walk ons to tap into, so I still expect to see a fair few 11/12k crowds in the second half of the season, which is certainly not what a club of our stature (and current team) should be attracting when top of the division and knocking on the door of the Premier League.

But we are where we are as the die was cast in the summer with the disastrous collapse in ST sales. Whatever league we are in, the club MUST go all out on trying to re-build the ST base in the summer.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 7

Boro had 30,000 the other day; we had circa 14,000, which is pretty poor considering the time of year, our form and league position, Covid fears notwithstanding.  Thousands of fans have parted company with Rovers for various reasons over the past decade and it's going to need a monumental management effort and some innovative thinking to get even half of them back. 

Edited by jim mk2
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Boro had 30,000 the other day; we had circa 14,000, which is pretty poor considering the time of year, our form and league position, Covid fears notwithstanding.  Thousands of fans have parted company with Rovers for various reasons over the past decade and it's going to need a monumental management effort and some innovative thinking to get even half of them back. 

Teesside has a population of over 350,000, with just Darlington as a rival for fans.

• Like 3

If you look at the promotion campaign in 2000/2001 we played Crewe at home at a similar time of year - We had around 18k on that day, so we're not doing to badly after a decade of hurt under these idiots.

The Blackburn public have always supported a successful team throughout my time supporting the club and will continue to do so.

If we maintain the current lofty heights of Championship you'll see these gates going up further, its always been that way.

Edited by Gav

I agree, we aren’t doing too badly considering the last decade and the decimation of the ST base under this regime.

But 7,200 ST holders, standard crowds of 9 to 11,000 and a ‘bumper’ Christmas crowd of just 14,000 even being triumphantly announced over the tannoy shows just what damage these owners have done.

Lets just hope the club has learnt from its terrible mistakes when it comes to ST sales and we can harness the momentum of this season, whatever the outcome of it is…

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 4