BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Champions League

2 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

They have a stranglehold on English football, it's not very enjoyable. 

Hopefully that Champions League win was the thing that Guardiola needed and he now moves on. 

Why would you want the best manager in the world in Pep Guardiola to move on from City? 

I would say they don't have a stranglehold on English football, we have the best league in the world which other leagues and clubs are very jealous off.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Why would you want the best manager in the world in Pep Guardiola to move on from City? 

I would say they don't have a stranglehold on English football, we have the best league in the world which other leagues and clubs are very jealous off.  

In the last 6 seasons they have won 5 league titles & half the domestic cups on offer in that period. If that isn't a stranglehold then I don't know what is. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

In the last 6 seasons they have won 5 league titles & half the domestic cups on offer in that period. If that isn't a stranglehold then I don't know what is. 

stranglehold would winning every competition every year. They don't. Arsenal bottled it this season, etc. 

Liverpool and Spurs should have done miles better this season. 7 or 8 teams challenging for top 4 places for CL 

what we have in English Football is a great football leagues and PL is where the (majority of the) best players want to play. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

stranglehold would winning every competition every year. They don't. Arsenal bottled it this season, etc. 

Liverpool and Spurs should have done miles better this season. 7 or 8 teams challenging for top 4 places for CL 

what we have in English Football is a great football leagues and PL is where the (majority of the) best players want to play. 

It’s a turn of phrase. It means they are dominating the league, I.e five titles in six seasons. It doesn’t mean they win literally every trophy.

Liverpool had a ‘stranglehold ‘ in the 80s, Man Utd in the 90s and 00s, obviously we of all clubs know that they didn’t win everything.

Edited by Mattyblue

17 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I'm not disputing that the Premier League is a great league but there is no doubt that City are utterly dominant of the last 18 trophies on offer in English football they have won 11 of them.

Arsenal are miles short of them as it showed when push came to shove & Arsenal were only competing in one competition. Look at Arsenal's two main singings last summer two Man City cast offs. Spurs are a poor team who's league position reflected their squad, they are light years away from City. Liverpool have been the only side to push City over the last 6 seasons but they don't have the state ownership like City to continually spend huge sums on world class players every summer and this year it caught up with them.

Financially City are competing in a different stratosphere compared with the rest of the league except from perhaps Newcastle & the only thing that will get other clubs near them is state ownership but the prospect of the title race in English football in coming years being between multiple clubs own by nation states is for me a rather unappetising one. 

Edited by Ewood Ace

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

And in spite of winning almost everything on offer they’re still strengthen the team again if the right player comes available. Guardivol the latest player to be linked.

I wish we did that after winning the title when players could have been queueing up to come to Rovers! Matty Holmes... 😩

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

I'm not disputing that the Premier League is a great league but there is no doubt that City are utterly dominant of the last 18 trophies on offer in English football they have won 11 of them.

Arsenal are miles short of them as it showed when push came to shove & Arsenal were only competing in one competition. Look at Arsenal's two main singings last summer two Man City cast offs. Spurs are a poor team who's league position reflected their squad, they are light years away from City. Liverpool have been the only side to push City over the last 6 seasons but they don't have the state ownership like City to continually spend huge sums on world class players every summer and this year it caught up with them.

Financially City are competing in a different stratosphere compared with the rest of the league except from perhaps Newcastle & the only thing that will get other clubs near them is state ownership but the prospect of the title race in English football in coming years being between multiple clubs own by nation states is for me a rather unappetising one. 

Arsenal bottled it due they couldn't cope with the pressure. I wouldn't say Jesus or Zinchenko were Cast offs from Man City cos they are 2 quality players. 

I think Spurs are better than their league position suggests but problems with Conte and the past 2 appointments before him have been the major problem. I think Ange Postecoglou is a good appointment and will get them back playing attacking football again. 

Liverpool. Man Utd, Chelsea, Spurs and Newcastle and Arsenal should all have plenty of money to sign quality players, I know they aren't state owned but each of the clubs have plenty of money to spend. 

City being state ownership doesn't bother me one bit, but bothers a few BRFCS Members on here

I still dont get how Arsenal are considered to have bottled it yet Rovers havent bottled it in the last 2 seasons. 

Truth is probably somewhere in between, but as much as anything a case of a lack of quality in depth.

City undoubtedly has a stranglehold on English football, similar numbers to United back in the 90s. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I still dont get how Arsenal are considered to have bottled it yet Rovers havent bottled it in the last 2 seasons. 

Truth is probably somewhere in between, but as much as anything a case of a lack of quality in depth.

City undoubtedly has a stranglehold on English football, similar numbers to United back in the 90s. 

Rovers never bottled it in either of the last 2 seasons, we got found out due to having a substandard side and squad compared to our rivals. 

Arsenal probably suffered the same fate in comparison to City, but more than held their own with the rest of the also rans. 

22 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Liverpool. Man Utd, Chelsea, Spurs and Newcastle and Arsenal should all have plenty of money to sign quality players, I know they aren't state owned but each of the clubs have plenty of money to spend. 

Newcastle are state owned. Clubs like Liverpool, United, Arsenal and Spurs (who don't even belong in the conversation to be honest) whilst being hugely rich clubs cannot financially get near clubs owned by entire nation states. Newcastle and City have bottomless pits of money.

29 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I wouldn't say Jesus or Zinchenko were Cast offs from Man City cos they are 2 quality players. 

The fact that City willing let them go they are by definition cast offs. 

27 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

City being state ownership doesn't bother me one bit, but bothers a few BRFCS Members on here

It should do. It certainly isn't a good thing for clubs like Rovers.

• Like 1

Just now, Ewood Ace said:

Newcastle are state owned. Clubs like Liverpool, United, Arsenal and Spurs (who don't even belong in the conversation to be honest) whilst being hugely rich clubs cannot financially get near clubs owned by entire nation states. Newcastle and City have bottomless pits of money.

it is`nt good for the game in general

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

not really. They got good offers and they let them go. 

35 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

why should it? 

7 hours ago, Gav said:

They've got the best club side in the world, of course they deserve it, the fact they've been shit for decades and remained loyal just adds to the fact.

My point was not that as a club Manchester City 'deserve' their success - arguably they do considering the amount of money they've spent - but to label their fan base as 'deserving' above fans of other clubs, is sanctimonious drivel.

• Moderation Lead

All this talk of money City have spent since Sheikh Mansour came on board, ignores the fact that Chelsea and Man United have spent a fair bit more in that time….

• Like 4

I guess some people may decide this is biased, but perhaps this article shows whether the take over of our clubs by certain states, should bother us or not.

It certainly bothers me, when blood money is mentioned and when a Newcastle Faun is quoted as feeling disconnected from the club.

I guess it’s dependent on your morals, but I would not want blood money to be what brings success to my club. 

https://thewireuw.com/2021/11/29/newcastle-uniteds-blood-money-takeover/#:~:text=This past October%2C English football,western morals and football success.

Edited by lraC
Typo

8 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Because you don’t understand the implications of it, obviously…

I guess the term, turning a blind eye, being quoted in the article I posted, could apply here. It’s not difficult to find out what goes on, in some of the middle eastern states. 

The slaying of Jamal Khashoggi was given plenty of coverage in the British and world press, but perhaps a lot of what goes on, is heavily covered up.

To give it some perspective, would an announcement that the Russian state were about to buy Rovers, not bother anyone on here? 

9 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

City are willing to let anyone go who doesn’t want to be there. The next player supposedly wanting out is silva. Would u describe him as a castoff?

7 hours ago, K-Hod said:

All this talk of money City have spent since Sheikh Mansour came on board, ignores the fact that Chelsea and Man United have spent a fair bit more in that time….

City have spent £1.2 billion  since Pep Guardiola joined City. 

Man Utd over £1 billion in the same time frame. 

Chelsea have close to £1.5 billion on transfer

Liverpool £800 million

Spurs £780 million

Arsenal £950 million

These are rough figures not exact figures. 

2 hours ago, roverandout said:

City are willing to let anyone go who doesn’t want to be there. The next player supposedly wanting out is silva. Would u describe him as a castoff?

exactly. Mahraz, Laporte and Walker might leave hardly cast offs are they. 

• Like 1

I used to be an enthusiastic supporter of English clubs playing in Europe, going as far back as United and the Busby Babes!

These days I don't feel any pride like I used to that an English club has won it

However I never bother watching any European games anymore. Couldn't care less about it. Might as well work out the relative bank balances at the start of the season and give it to the wealthiest.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Fair being the key word there. 

Edited by Ewood Ace