BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Derby (a) - 30/10/2021

21 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well your opinion is very different to people at the game inside Pride Park stadium. 

If Nyambe is fit for the Fulham home game then for me Buckley moves into Centre midfield with Travis and Rothwell. Johnson drops out. 

I would go Travis, Johnson and Buckely..bring Rothwell on 

In a trying week for my family glad to take 3 points in what is a difficult game.

Missing the game on Wednesday due to work but will watch from afar.

3 huge points if you ask me. Emphasises where we should be having dropped points at Huddersfield, Blackpool and QPR not to mention Luton and Coventry!

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well your opinion is very different to people at the game inside Pride Park stadium. 

If Nyambe is fit for the Fulham home game then for me Buckley moves into Centre midfield with Travis and Rothwell. Johnson drops out. 

You speak as if my opinion is massively inferior from watching on TV. 

36 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I'd keep Khadra too. Clarkson and Poveda can bounce, based on what we've seen so far.

I am not sure why Khadra seems to be commonly regarded so much higher than than Poveda.

I do think that both look well off the level needed, albeit I do appreciate that both have mainly been involved from the bench when it is difficult to impress. Khadra did well at home to Hull without directly creating much himself, whereas Poveda pinched the ball back for the goal at Boro and has shown a couple of fleeting glimpses recently at home, the great cross that Brereton knocked down for Van Hecke to a miss a sitter last week and a brilliant ball over the top against Coventry when Brereton played a ball across the face that should have led to a tap in and late winner.

Today, Khadra had slightly longer but was just as ineffective and indeed it was his immaturity that cost us a free kick for their goal.

• Like 2

Derby missed a trick in not targeting Buckley aerially as he struggled under the high ball, but other than that I thought he was excellent. The advantage of having a player of his ilk in that position was seen in his fantastic cross for the first goal. Nyambe has improved massively but I still don’t see many balls into the box like that from him. If fit on Wednesday though, he has to start. Nobody has a stinker from what I saw, just the usual collective inability to do the basics when defending a 2-0 lead. So many wrong decisions in the last ten minutes…surely that scenario can be replicated on the training pitch? Just keep things simple…it seems an impossibility for us. Bottle the first half and hope that at some point we put in a full 90 minutes and show what we are really capable of. Satisfied tonight 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I am not sure why Khadra seems to be commonly regarded so much higher than than Poveda.

I do think that both look well off the level needed, albeit I do appreciate that both have mainly been involved from the bench when it is difficult to impress. Khadra did well at home to Hull without directly creating much himself, whereas Poveda pinched the ball back for the goal at Boro and has shown a couple of fleeting glimpses recently at home, the great cross that Brereton knocked down for Van Hecke to a miss a sitter last week and a brilliant ball over the top against Coventry when Brereton played a ball across the face that should have led to a tap in and late winner.

Today, Khadra had slightly longer but was just as ineffective and indeed it was his immaturity that cost us a free kick for their goal.

It's probably on account of the fact that he has looked far better than Poveda and like he actually has something about him. He is capable of terrifying defences. Is he looking the finished article? No, but him being Mowbray'd didn't help. Poveda has been consistently bollocks since his first 20 minutes or so which were decent. Mildly improved in the last couple games perhaps, but still tosh.

Despite that, he gets more game time than Khadra, which is bound to be dispiriting as we have seen umpteen times with Mowbray's bizarre selection choices. Players look exciting, they get benched until they stop doing that. They lose morale, play less expansively, then the fans start saying they're poor, which justifies Mowbray's decision to bench them. I'm not saying he does that to justify benching someone, which would be bizarre of course, but he is terrible at sensing which players are on form and continuing to play them. It's no coincidence that Poveda is improving with (unwarranted) game time and Khadra is regressing by unfairly getting less time than he has deserved. Players are human and need confidence, regardless how much they're paid or whatever.

• Like 2

It's another three points but once again with a two goal lead we were nearly Mowbrayed*. The first half was so comfortable as we bossed the game and were better than Derby in every position. A three or four goal lead would have been a fair reflection on the game at half time but the group I go with and many around us spoke about our fragility when being two up. And so it passed that our reservations were right. The game turned on its head, Kazim-Richards  got amongst us and, had Derby scored earlier I'm certain we would have drawn or even lost. As it was they nearly got a draw anyway. I don't know what happens when we go into a two goal lead and then go negative and defensive but it's happened too many times and it appears that Mowbray can't fix it and is actually part of the problem. Had we not got three points today it would have been criminal but we were so close to dropping points. I thought Lenihan was terrific today, one of his best performances in a Rovers shirt. For the rest it was another game of two halves ranging from very good in the first half to poor in the second. We got away with one today, in future we might not be so lucky.

* Moybrayed is the new term for throwing or nearly throwing a two goal lead away.

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

It's probably on account of the fact that he has looked far better than Poveda and like he actually has something about him. He is capable of terrifying defences. Is he looking the finished article? No, but him being Mowbray'd didn't help. Poveda has been consistently bollocks since his first 20 minutes or so which were decent. Mildly improved in the last couple games perhaps, but still tosh.

Despite that, he gets more game time than Khadra, which is bound to be dispiriting as we have seen umpteen times with Mowbray's bizarre selection choices. Players look exciting, they get benched until they stop doing that. They lose morale, play less expansively, then the fans start saying they're poor, which justifies Mowbray's decision to bench them. I'm not saying he does that to justify benching someone, which would be bizarre of course, but he is terrible at sensing which players are on form and continuing to play them. It's no coincidence that Poveda is improving with (unwarranted) game time and Khadra is regressing by unfairly getting less time than he has deserved. Players are human and need confidence, regardless how much they're paid or whatever.

I am not convinced that there has been much if any evidence since that Hull game (in itself he didn't create or come close to scoring) that Khadra is "capable of terrifying defences." I don't see much difference between the 2 at the moment.

Poveda has featured off the bench more in recent weeks but that has coincided with Khadra missing out on the squad a few games after struggling with tonsillitis. He got the nod before Poveda today now he is back.

To be honest, I think that it is crucial that we bring in a couple of attacking players into the club in January, although I won't hold my breath. None of Poveda, Khadra and Butterworth have suggested that they are going to put much pressure on the current 3 for their places or offer much off the bench.

• Like 2

Just got home, delighted with the win. Should have been 5-0 at half time. Expected a better Derby second half and we just about hung in there.

Love the spirit of this team, when One of players gets chopped the whole team is surrounding the player.

Brereton Diaz & Buckley stood out for me today.

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, rigger said:

I don't think he will

I certainly hope you're right. Why are you so confident about that though? He has 50% more goals than the next guy on the list (who thankfully is our guy). He's consistently been a goal machine at this level. Big, strong as an ox. Puts the frighteners on me frankly! Thankfully Lenihan is strong too, but I think it will take more than that to keep him quiet.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

I certainly hope you're right. Why are you so confident about that though? He has 50% more goals than the next guy on the list (who thankfully is our guy). He's consistently been a goal machine at this level. Big, strong as an ox. Puts the frighteners on me frankly! Thankfully Lenihan is strong too, but I think it will take more than that to keep him quiet.

From what I have seen this season, When we have a definate problem player to deal with, we are able to do it. Our problems usually come from our own mistakes. I think our defenders will hold their own against a known dangers.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Really annoyed me how a prem club didn't come in for him in the summer..

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Just seen that monster Mitrovic has 18 goals already. He's going to fistfuck us on Wednesday.

His goals today were a joke tbh, a penalty that shouldn't have been and a through ball from the WBA player Snodgrass. He's still a top player in this league like, just hope we aren't quite as generous as the baggies were.

5 hours ago, booth said:

He certainly tried his best today to throw away that lead.

There's no way the players decided to pull everyone back like that, for anyone watching it was clearly under orders.

I can’t agree with this. Mowbray set out the team and tactics, that had we taken some chances that were absolute sitters, we would of been 5-0 up at half time. Derby was always going to react second half.

15 minutes ago, BRFC4EVA said:

Really annoyed me how a prem club didn't come in for him in the summer..

Heh yeh would have been nice not to face him.

9 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

His goals today were a joke tbh, a penalty that shouldn't have been and a through ball from the WBA player Snodgrass. He's still a top player in this league like, just hope we aren't quite as generous as the baggies were.

Today maybe, but you don't score 18 joke goals by November (not saying you don't know that, you acknowledged he is a top player in this league). We do have a generous streak, more of one than the Baggies I think...gonna really need to be at the races.

5 minutes ago, Wood26 said:

I can’t agree with this. Mowbray set out the team and tactics, that had we taken some chances that were absolute sitters, we would of been 5-0 up at half time. Derby was always going to react second half.

I assume you didn't watch beyond the first half.

I'm talking about the second half. For most of it we had 9 players defending and only Brereton as an outlet.

Yes Derby reacted. They reacted to us staying in our own half (box) for almost the majority of the second half, with no way of clearing the ball any further than the half way line because we only had one player there. And on some occasions even Brereton was back.

We were playing the bottom of the league, were playing well and Mowbray directed the team to park the bus for the entire second half. Unfathomable.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, dallydally said:

He's not Premiership material that's why. Very good Championship player yes but not top level

Half agree. He's not top end Prem at all, or standout, but I'd say he's a steady Prem striker. Poor season last year but he has scored 11 and 9 in the past, which is solid enough for a bottom half side.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, booth said:

I'm talking about the second half. For most of it we had 9 players defending and only Brereton as an outlet.

Yes Derby reacted. They reacted to us staying in our own half (box) for almost the majority of the second half, with no way of clearing the ball any further than the half way line because we only had one player there. And on some occasions even Brereton was back.

We were playing the bottom of the league, were playing well and Mowbray directed the team to park the bus for the entire second half. Unfathomable.

The problem is, it is not unfathomable. Mowbray is a tactical idiot

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, booth said:

I watched both halves I was there. You are right, we did sit back and was poor in second half but I think it was a reaction to Derby actually waking up. 

So yes we can criticise Mowbray for the 2nd half, but then we need to praise him for the first half, which ultimately won us the game.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, rigger said:

The problem is, it is not unfathomable. Mowbray is a tactical idiot

You'd think even an idiot would know that the team can't defend for any length of time without conceding. It's like he has a memory problem.

• Like 2