BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Derby (a) - 30/10/2021

7 hours ago, Wood26 said:

We was 2-0 up at half time and should of been far more. Second half from what i recall, nothing happened until about the 80th minute when they had a free kick Kaminski saved. I don’t remember a chance before that?

Then they went gung-ho last 10, scored in 89th, and almost got an equaliser after that in stoppage time.

That’s just football. When Liverpool was 4-0 up at half time against United but only scored 1 in second half I don’t think that is because Klopp said “stop attacking”.

Indeed and my Liverpool supporting friends were still worried at 4-0 about a united come back! 

A goal changes a game and it seems collopses happen more regularly now and not just for us, although it feels like that. 

Is it down to higher skill levels of attackers , or maybe the pressure of being back in front of fans. It's hard to know, but I was thinking about it and we aren't unique to getting the Heebie jeebies! 

19 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Indeed and my Liverpool supporting friends were still worried at 4-0 about a united come back! 

A goal changes a game and it seems collopses happen more regularly now and not just for us, although it feels like that. 

Is it down to higher skill levels of attackers , or maybe the pressure of being back in front of fans. It's hard to know, but I was thinking about it and we aren't unique to getting the Heebie jeebies! 

Yes it even happens to the best of them occasionally (Exhibit A - Liverpool yesterday), but it’s the frequency with which we have squandered a two-goal lead under Mowbray that worries me. I can very quickly off the top of my head think of about ten times where this has happened under him, many of which were at Ewood as well, which is pretty incredible really.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bluebruce said:

And his 5 at the back no sense.

I actually predicted at half time that Carter would come on to make it five at the back. I based that on the previous games when he has done it this season and it has failed. I think that Rooney's changes at half time was something that Mowbray just didn't react to. Derby's change of shape should have been countered with a change in our shape but we seemed content to play a lot deeper and let Derby come at us.

17 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Yes it even happens to the best of them occasionally (Exhibit A - Liverpool yesterday), but it’s the frequency with which we have squandered a two-goal lead under Mowbray that worries me. I can very quickly off the top of my head think of about ten times where this has happened under him, many of which were at Ewood as well, which is pretty incredible really.

We have alright, but I would say if you look at this season and teams we are in competition with around the middle and play off places, it's fairly common. I really think this is a season thats there for the taking. We have goalscorers, we have a solid defence(at times), we are just a bit naive/inexperienced and Mowbray sometimes doesn't help himself or us, but at times he pulls stuff out of the bag.

A few new contracts and a bit of intent in the transfer window in January is the direction we need to be going. We might not get as good a chance. 

8 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

To be honest has there ever been a manager at Rovers (or any club, or international football) that doesn't get the "why do you sit back on a lead" criticism.

I'd wager when Mowbray gets eventually potted we'll all be on here saying the same about the next guy. Id bet my house on it.

I think to be honest it's the nature of football. One team gets a lead the other side starts taking risks and either they get battered or they manage to turn the game.

It's just the way it is to a certain extent. I'm not really sure Mowbray is much worse than any other manager on that front.

To highlight that, Liverpool of all teams surrendered a two goal lead yesterday and as for Stoke, they were 3 - 0 up against Cardiff, who then scored 3 in 5 minutes to earn a point.

Thanks goodness that wasn't us, but it shows it happens to other teams too.

5 minutes ago, Roverthechimp said:

The one thing that really annoys me is that everyone drops deep - leave Dolan in the centre circle ffs. That means 2 opposition players will stay back and just maybe the odd breakaway from a routine clearance.

I totally agree.

34 minutes ago, lraC said:

To highlight that, Liverpool of all teams surrendered a two goal lead yesterday and as for Stoke, they were 3 - 0 up against Cardiff, who then scored 3 in 5 minutes to earn a point.

Thanks goodness that wasn't us, but it shows it happens to other teams too.

TBF though, this the the most "one half" team Rovers have ever produced or .at least that I can remember. We either sleep for the first half and then dominate the 2nd half without necessarily getting the result or we play really well the first half and then go back into our shells. Given our defence isn't brilliant it makes for hard, often nail-biting viewing.

Why does it happen? Unless anyone can come up with a better explanation, its hard to look past selections, formations , tactics and subs.

After watching the full game back, we were excellent in the first half and should have been at least 3 nil up if not 5 nil up. 

Buckley's cross for the first goal was a great ball in which any striker would want and defenders not. For the second goal it was Buckley won the ball back and then played into Gallagher who lay it for Dolan who played in Brereton who took his goal so well.

We pressed them high first half and second half we didnt. so we need to know why this happened in 3 games this season.

3 minutes ago, BigBar said:

Morning lads...off topic but looking at getting over for the Preston game on December 4th. Does this fixture tend to be moved to an early kick off? Currently scheduled for 3pm...thanks lads.

I wouldn't have thought it would be moved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

After watching the full game back, we were excellent in the first half and should have been at least 3 nil up if not 5 nil up. 

Buckley's cross for the first goal was a great ball in which any striker would want and defenders not. For the second goal it was Buckley won the ball back and then played into Gallagher who lay it for Dolan who played in Brereton who took his goal so well.

We pressed them high first half and second half we didnt. so we need to know why this happened in 3 games this season.

Half-time team talk 

1 hour ago, BigBar said:

Morning lads...off topic but looking at getting over for the Preston game on December 4th. Does this fixture tend to be moved to an early kick off? Currently scheduled for 3pm...thanks lads.

The TV games for that weekend have already been chosen and this game isn't one of them. I would also have thought that if the police wanted it moving earlier that it would have been done by now.

• Like 1

we got overrun in midfield 2nd half,derby were always going to up their level we got deeper and deeper as usual,rothwell was knackered,johnson tired(understandably) and travis kept giving the ball away,there should have been changes made to bolster the midfield,on the positive side,can hecke was immense,now he`s match fit,lenihan had a good game as well,so did buckley who did a good job at right back,looking forward to a real test on wednesday night,if we can get four points from the next two home games i`ll be getting "reet excited!!!!!!"

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, El Tombro said:

Jozwiak was once linked with us. Derby fans don't think too highly of him. Maybe we dodged a bullet.

I remember watching him when he was playing at Charlton with Bauer who went to Preston. He looked to be  head and shoulders the best player on the pitch. Twice the player that Bauer was. Maybe he’s had a lot of injuries.

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I remember watching him when he was playing at Charlton with Bauer who went to Preston. He looked to be  head and shoulders the best player on the pitch. Twice the player that Bauer was. Maybe he’s had a lot of injuries.

Completely different players though. A winger and centre half 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, El Tombro said:

A few more interesting comments from the Derby forums:

Sad to say but the Lancs minnows deserved to win.

As for Jozwiak, well… he’s ran out of excuses. He’s playing in a rather average division and as Poland’s next big prospect, he should be showing out! 

The wily old fox Mowbray did exactly what he did to us under Cocu. He exposed us as a team trying to play out from the back that quite simply hasn't got the players to do that.

It was clear after 10 mins, and most certainly 20 mins, that they looked more good than we looked bad!

No way did we deserve a draw... but it was damn close in the end!

I couldn't have complained if they'd gone in 4 or 5-0 up given the chances they created. They cut us open completely at will.

I thought they were good for their win their first half lead, some neat football, and two good goals.

A fully fit CKR would have given us a different result.

We have the second best defence in the league (I just checked and this is absolutely true - they've conceded five fewer goals than us)

lancashire minnows🤣

derby obviously a titan of english football and a massive giantkilling has occured,worldwide sporting headlines imminent

34 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He didnt play for Charlton?

Bielik is who you will be talking about, ex Arsenal

Edited by islander200

Another question to ask is whether the pace we played at in the first half is sustainable over a 90 minute period, we naturally tire going into second halves and this isn't helped by a lack of depth.

This idea that (without crediting him for the first half and the approach took then) Mowbray told them at half time just to defend is nonsensical. As I have said, a team (especially away from home) 2 nil up will almost always be penned in at times in the second half by an opponent throwing caution to the wind. What we do need to work on is something that Mowbray mentioned post match, ie not just launching the ball straight back to them as that isn't a sustainable way to relieve pressure for long. We need to be better on the counter attack, we need to be able to keep the ball in possession for longer at times, we need to hold the ball up better in attacking positions and our game management needs to improve. Kaminski as an experienced head needs to stop rushing things, and there are other examples, I know this was in the first half but I remember Van Hecke trying to take a quick free kick near his own box when Derby players were lurking, a needless risk.

4 hours ago, Roverthechimp said:

The one thing that really annoys me is that everyone drops deep - leave Dolan in the centre circle ffs. That means 2 opposition players will stay back and just maybe the odd breakaway from a routine clearance.

It just concedes the game. We couldn't get our foot on the ball in the second half because every clearance just comes straight back at you.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Buckley was excellent today according to fans at the game. 

Good win today Mercer? 

Feel sorry for Santa today

Any win is a good win!

Seems like we did our best though to surrender another 2 goal lead.

Big, big test on Wednesday.  

Think Santa's sack will soon start to fill up!