BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Fulham (h) - 3/11/2021

3 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

No Gallagher on Wednesday by the sounds of it. He's had his critics even this season but that's a massive loss to go along with our defensive absentees. 

Looks like we won't have too many other options to make any changes from:

TK

Buckley      Lenihan     Van Hecke    Edun

Travis    Johnson    Rothwell

Khadra     Dolan    Brereton

Johnson having only just returned will probably mean decent minutes for Davenport at some point before the international break too.

I'd probably go with this. 

Just get the feeling tony will go with Clarkson again instead of khedra and tinker with the formation.

Playing Buckley at right back on Wednesday will be a double suicide for Rovers. Firstly he will be against a fast left sided player and knowing how Buckley plays the game and can e a bit rash with putting his feet in he will see a red card. Secondly, 10 men against this lot will be even harder and will lead to a heavy defeat.

Sadly, a Rovers defeat by 2

2 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

From what I've seen JRC is good enough. Not brilliant but decent. Rarely has a poor game. Has a good delivery and a good engine. I'd definitely persevere with him.

Butterworth hasn't really shown anything except a good 30 mins at Hull.

I'm with you on Butterworth, on the Hull game etc..  watched him in the ressies last week close up and for me was anonymous for the first hour until their kids got tired....the game passed him by so he's got a lot to do it my eyes.  He isn't top class at one thing, not much pace, not very strong, doesn't finish....not sure, jury out.

I'd never seen much of JRC until the same game last week he was literally 5 yards in front of me the whole half and in my opinion his shape is wrong.  He's lacking basic speed and aggression so right back is not the position.   If he has to play I'd move him further up drifting into attacking areas, he started doing this a bit in the second half, but i still put it down to liverpools kids getting tired rather than our good play.

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 1

I do worry on Wednesday, with such a thin squad, I can't see us being particularly competitive against a strong Fulham side.

Assuming that Nyambe and Gallagher are both not fit enough, I think there is a tough decision to be made. Khadra for me as been as poor as Poveda, maybe first impressions are everything, his debut was a lively 15 minutes in a borefest v Hull, but he hasn't done much, and he was really poor giving away the free kick on Saturday. Butterworth seems to be rated much higher based I believe on being a permanently contracted player, but I don't think that he has been any better than the other 2, accepting that all 3 are having to live mainly off cameos, but all look like massive downgrades on the main 3. 

I would be tempted to make a more defensive change and bring in Carter at right back, even though I have serious question marks about him being anything close to Championship standard himself. He is obviously more defensively competent than Buckley, who could then move back into midfield. The downside is Rothwell being moved which is not ideal but I think he could be a big threat on the counter attack. Travis and Buckley could really press Seri and Cairney/Reed with Johnson behind to cover whoever they choose behind Mitrovic, possibly Decordova Reid.

Kaminski

Carter Lenihan Van Hecke Edun

Travis Johnson Buckley

Dolan Brereton Rothwell

Mowbray has said that it has been decided that Nyambe will play in one of the 2 games only this week. I would be tempted to play him on Wednesday over Carter here, and play Rankin Costello on Saturday 5 days after a 90 minutes today.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

You mean like a master tactician?

Well. I don't want to get carried away as he is no such thing. But he may have finally realised blurting out our likely selections and tactics before the game is dumb, whilst fibbing about it can mess with the opposition's tactics. 

• Like 1

On 31/10/2021 at 20:21, Butty said:

It’s not interesting in my view, if Nyambe is fit he starts. Buckley did well on Saturday but he’s not a right back and every other time he’s played there albeit only a few times he’s been exposed, would not want him playing there against Fulham that’s for sure. Hopefully he’s back in the middle and Ryan is back in it at full back.

No,I would agree. If both fit I would go for Nyambe, it's just interesting how Buckley can add to the attack whilst playing there, something Nyambe struggles to do 

I fear that these 2 games this week have a similar feeling to the final 2 games before the last international break. Our squad seems stretched to the same degree as it did going into the shoddy performances against Huddersfield and Blackpool, with a feeling of lets limp through until the break and reset.

Looking forward, the christmas schedule with the current squad seems an even bigger worry because even with games in blocks of 6 or 7, we have got towards both of these international breaks looking very stretched, so an even longer and more intense schedule may well be the time that the piss poor budget of the summer and thus an inability to sign quality or quantity could sting.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

No,I would agree. If both fit I would go for Nyambe, it's just interesting how Buckley can add to the attack whilst playing there, something Nyambe struggles to do 

And if you were at Huddersfield you'd be interested how Bucko can't add to the defence whilst playing there, something Nyambe is quality at...🤷‍♂️ the lad isn't a full back or a wing back.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Can't stop crosses and lacks pace.  Prefer Edun myself.

Edun for me too, and he's a decent midfielder but I'd like to see him at left back against better opposition before making judgement on his defensive qualities.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Butty said:

Edun looks a real quality player. He needs to start every game be it at left back or in midfield. 

Earlyish days, but I agree that he looks to have real potential. Being harsh for a second I thought he faded badly against Coventry, losing the ball in bad positions in the second half and maybe showing a bit of naivety and lack of discipline as a defender, but that aside I think he's looked very promising wherever he's played.

Long term I like the idea of having Pickering at left back and Edun in midfield. I think whilst Pickering hasn't been the marauding attacking full back that maybe a few of us expected, he's still been pretty effective in attack & defence and should only improve given his age. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

. I think whilst Pickering hasn't been the marauding attacking full back that maybe a few of us expected, he's still been pretty effective in attack & defence and should only improve given his age. 

Can't agree.  He has no aggression to his game.  His failure to even really try to stop crosses has led to goals against. At Huddersfield the right winger waltzed past him constantly.   If you think that is effective defending then God help us.  He can put a decent cross in on the run if he's in space but he won't run past full backs, no pace.

Sorry, poor buy and a waste of money.  I'd have put his fee and wages into a new deal for Rothwell or Diaz.

28 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Can't agree.  He has no aggression to his game.  His failure to even really try to stop crosses has led to goals against. At Huddersfield the right winger waltzed past him constantly.   If you think that is effective defending then God help us.  He can put a decent cross in on the run if he's in space but he won't run past full backs, no pace.

Sorry, poor buy and a waste of money.  I'd have put his fee and wages into a new deal for Rothwell or Diaz.

That would have meant, probably keeping Bell. Not for me, one thing I can say with some degree of certanty is, Pickering is better than Bell.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, rigger said:

That would have meant, probably keeping Bell. Not for me, one thing I can say with some degree of certanty is, Pickering is better than Bell.

Aye, but I'm still correct about Pickering....its like we have gone from a league 2 player to a league 1 player....an improvement but not good enough in my opinion 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Didn't get to see the Hudds game, so I can't comment on that, but I don't remember any other time this season when his winger has really had the beating of him. There have been unimpressive moments here and there, but obviously a big improvement on what we've had (admittedly not that hard). Agree that he doesn't have much interest in taking players on, but that isn't such a big issue if his delivery is good enough when he gets space, and there are promising signs on that front. 

My main point though is that whilst he's only been fairly solid so far, I expect him to get a lot better given his age and where he has played so far, so ideally I'd want him and Edun both getting time on the pitch. Far, far too soon to be saying that he's a poor buy at this stage in my view. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

And if you were at Huddersfield you'd be interested how Bucko can't add to the defence whilst playing there, something Nyambe is quality at...🤷‍♂️ the lad isn't a full back or a wing back.

Goals win games and dictate how they pan out in general me old mucker. Buckley has a great little knack of assisting them from that position. Not disputing Nyambe is a better defender 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Goals win games and dictate how they pan out in general me old mucker. Buckley has a great little knack of assisting them from that position. Not disputing Nyambe is a better defender 

Obviously about the goals . 🤷‍♂️

We haven't really struggled for goals so I'm not arsed about that.  We need to.keep them out and Bucko won't help with that in my opinion, in fact I think a good team will.target him.......just an opinion mate.

• Like 1