BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

v Fulham (h) - 3/11/2021

i don`t think 4-3-3 is wise against this lot,need to be more compact ,if i was moggadon id`e flood the pitch with half the river darwen,it difficult to pass a football and adapt an agriculture approach to the game,these soft southerners don`t like it up em,hope he does`nt go to far with gushing praise for the opposition and set us up as sacrificial lambs

• Like 1

Play 4-3-3 and my team would see one change if fit which is Nyambe in for Johnson. Buckley back in centre midfield. Rest of the 11 the same as yesterday. If Nyambe not fit then the same team as yesterday. 

Kaminski

Nyambe Lenihan Van Henke Edun

Buckley Travis Rothwell

Dolan         Gallagher        Brereton

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CambridgeRover said:

Setting the Scene

Wednesday’s match sees Blackburn facing off against one of the championship’s form teams in Fulham, who have won the last four on the bounce. This includes their latest match, a 3-0 victory over fellow favourite West Brom. However, Rovers also come into the game with two recent victories against Derby and Reading, so we should be in with a chance. With Fulham in 2nd and Blackburn in 7th, the match is great opportunity for us to stake a claim for the playoff positions or for Fulham to cement their status as one of the favourites to go up.

The Opposition

Having been relegated from the Premiership in 18th position, by a margin of 9 points, Fulham are hoping to return to the promised land at the first attempt.  At the end of the season, manager Scott Parker left the club to take up the manager position at fellow Championship favourite Bournemouth. In his place, Fulham brought in Marco Silva, the former Hull City and Watford manager.

In the summer, and unlike some relegated clubs, there was not a large exodus of players and in fact Fulham spent ~£12.5 million on bringing in Harry Wilson from Liverpool to add to their attacking options. With all the talent at the club, Fulham were predicted to be towards the top of the Championship. 10 wins in their first 15 games and boasting the league’s highest scoring attack, they are looking likely to fulfil their aim at the first time of asking.

Star Man

Too good for the Championship (60 goals in 97 games) but  perhaps not good enough for the premiership,  Serbian striker Aleksandar Mitrović is the man to watch. Having a tremendous year (18 goals in 15 games), we will have to keep him quite to have any chance in obtaining the 3 points on Wednesday.  However, just behind Mitrović in the scoring charts, one Ben Brereton-Diaz is having a career reborn (12 goals in 15 games) and let us hope his form continues.

Player Connections

Fans will be able to spot quite a few former Rovers in the current Fulham team: former loanees Tosin Adarabioyo (red card suspension) and Harrison Reed as well as Fulham captain Tom Cairney.

Looking back over the last twenty years I will start off with my least favoured shared connection. Midfield morons Dickson Etuhu and Danny Murphy, and his reported £50k a week contract, enjoyed successful careers at Fulham before we were unfortunate enough to witness them at Ewood.

Clinical finisher Andy Cole left Blackburn, after relations between him and manager Graeme Souness deteriorated, to enjoy a successful one year with Fulham.  Former Rover Damien Duff enjoyed successful spells with both clubs, making over 100 appearances for each. Premier league winning centre half Ian Pearce finished his league career at Fulham before retiring to non-league football.

Competitive Record

The first time the two clubs played each other was in the 1920/1921 FA Cup in a 1-1 draw. Since then, Blackburn have played Fulham in 93 total competitive fixtures having won 38, drawn 25 and lost 30. The largest scoring game between the two was when we unfortunately lost to Fulham 7-2 on a Boxing day fixture in Division Two 1956. Our recent record against Fulham has been quite poor, winning none of the last four games, with our last win being a 3-0 victory at Ewood in 2016 with Ben Marshall, Shane Duffy and Danny Graham making up the scorers.

Final Thought

There is nothing quite so satisfying as a well hit volley

Come on you blues!!

It almost wants to make me throw up, when I think of the shenanigans, culminating in the likes of Murphy and Etuhu arriving at Ewood with their very suspicious contacts.

Edited by lraC
Typo
  • Like 1

Tough game, and tough team selection.

If Nyambe is fit, he definitely comes in, as does Ayala despite Van Hecke doing ok. We need to move Buckley out from right back, ideally by Nyambe although failing that, with either Rankin Costello or (if Ayala is fit) then Van Hecke at right back.

I think Johnson did well on Saturday and you do wonder if it would be wise to have his physicality against a side likely to dominate us. I don't think it suits Travis to be the deepest midfielder, but of course bringing in Johnson creates a headache of whether to drop Buckley or Rothwell, or indeed even neither if he wanted to maybe take a struggling Gallagher out. Then you could either go with a diamond (Johnson sitting, Travis right, Rothwell left, Buckley furthest forward) or Rothwell and Dolan either side of Brereton. Possibly an unnecessary change of system though.

The issue isn't sitting back per se, it's sitting back and offering nothing in attack. That's the balance. Like if we take the lead against Fulham there is zero chance we can just sit back, not offer a counter attacking threat and expect to hold on (barring outrageous luck.)

So what's the issue? Well probably ball retention and decision making. I mean with Rothwell, Gallagher, Brereton and Dolan we should ,in theory,  be able to mount a decent counter attack. I assume they work on this, so why is it not translating to on the field when under the kosh. I suppose they tire and the subs really haven't done the business either, Poveda and Khadra have looked miles off it. Hopefully it clicks for them. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Tough game, and tough team selection.

If Nyambe is fit, he definitely comes in, as does Ayala despite Van Hecke doing ok. We need to move Buckley out from right back, ideally by Nyambe although failing that, with either Rankin Costello or (if Ayala is fit) then Van Hecke at right back.

I think Johnson did well on Saturday and you do wonder if it would be wise to have his physicality against a side likely to dominate us. I don't think it suits Travis to be the deepest midfielder, but of course bringing in Johnson creates a headache of whether to drop Buckley or Rothwell, or indeed even neither if he wanted to maybe take a struggling Gallagher out. Then you could either go with a diamond (Johnson sitting, Travis right, Rothwell left, Buckley furthest forward) or Rothwell and Dolan either side of Brereton. Possibly an unnecessary change of system though.

Do you really think Van Hecke would make a good right back?

I notice you have said Travis was deep lying a few times, now I haven't seen the full the game ,but right here the in the LT ratings it says he was further forwards

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19684284.blackburn-rovers-player-ratings-derby-county-victory/

you really can`t go into this game trying to outfootball a far better team,got to make it difficult for them somehow,two banks of four,with a lone striker and another one dropping back into midfield when necessary,sit a bit deeper and generally make it  niggly and don`t give them any room to get a rythm going,can`t see this approach being in mowbrays ethos but being expansive against a better team will see us lose badly

14 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

you really can`t go into this game trying to outfootball a far better team,got to make it difficult for them somehow,two banks of four,with a lone striker and another one dropping back into midfield when necessary,sit a bit deeper and generally make it  niggly and don`t give them any room to get a rythm going,can`t see this approach being in mowbrays ethos but being expansive against a better team will see us lose badly

I find it interesting you said, when to be fair, we never really lose badly under him, like ever and do usually do fairly well against the top teams, performance wise at least 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I find it interesting you said, when to be fair, we never really lose badly under him, like ever and do usually do fairly well against the top teams, performance wise at least 

i see it like the old premier league days,when we used to play man utd,arsenal and liverpool etc,if you gave them time on the ball it would end badly,if you got in amongst them you had a chance of getting a result, they could`nt handle being tackled and harrased,they expected us to roll over and be thankfull for playing them,fulham,bournemouth and to a lesser extent west brom are the man utd,arsenal and liverpool of the division,they are miles ahead of everyone else,we must find a way of making it nasty for them,west brom battered us tbh and look what fulham did to them yesterday

• Like 3

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

We need to move Buckley out from right back

He had an excellent game there and played a major part in both goals. if Nyambe isn't fit then I would leave Buckley there. 

with either Rankin Costello at right back.

He isn't fit enough to start games or even start and play a full game. 

Possibly an unnecessary change of system though.

crazy to change formation from what is our best formation and suits our best 11 players

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

crazy to change formation from what is our best formation and suits our best 11 players

I suspect that Fulham would give Buckley a sterner test than Derby perhaps did.

Your point about keeping the formation the same is spot on though - let's hope that Mowbray doesn't overthink it all again.

• Like 1

Lets get out there and get among them from the off and it could be a barnstormer of a game.  They're a class team but they are a championship team in the same league as us. 

Don't show them too much respect on the park.

Rovers  2   Fulham  2

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The Buckely Nyambe one is interesting. Offence being the best form of defence, maybe he's the ace in the hole we need to unlock their defence. 

It’s not interesting in my view, if Nyambe is fit he starts. Buckley did well on Saturday but he’s not a right back and every other time he’s played there albeit only a few times he’s been exposed, would not want him playing there against Fulham that’s for sure. Hopefully he’s back in the middle and Ryan is back in it at full back.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Do you really think Van Hecke would make a good right back?

I notice you have said Travis was deep lying a few times, now I haven't seen the full the game ,but right here the in the LT ratings it says he was further forwards

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/19684284.blackburn-rovers-player-ratings-derby-county-victory/

Sorry, I think you have misunderstood. I watched the game and liked that Johnson's inclusion meant that Travis had a bit more freedom and was no longer the deepest in midfield. He broke forward at one point in particular and played the correct ball to Brereton who totally mishit his shot.

I have never been convinced about the balance of the Travis, Buckley and Rothwell midfield for that very reason, I would prefer Travis either in a deeper 2 or with a holding midfielder behind him and one other, he lacks the discipline positionally IMO and is also restricted in that role.

Now Johnson is back, especially ahead of a really tough couple of games against a midfield that will have Seri and Reed/Cairney in it, followed by one containing Fleck and Norwood, possibly the best 2 partnerships we will face all season, I think he may well be needed in both alongside Travis, but that will leave a really tough decision for the third midfielder.

6 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The Buckely Nyambe one is interesting. Offence being the best form of defence, maybe he's the ace in the hole we need to unlock their defence. 

I agree with @Butty in that the decision is a simple one, Buckley is simply not a right back, he coped well yesterday but he still gave me a couple of jitters and any decent wide man will rip him to shreds. If the objective is for him to unlock a defence, surely that is best served in a midfield role.

• Like 1

It'll be a tough game alright but we can't give them too much respect. They've won 2 of the last 5 games away from home which includes a loss to Blackpool, a pounding off Coventry and a draw with Bristol City who have a pretty dire home record, finally scraping a win yesterday. If we lose its not the end of the world so hoping we go at them from the off. Let's not forget our home record is also decent, last defeat was back in August against the baggies, I think we're a better team now than then tbh too.

Could do with Ayala being fit really to do a job on mitro but not sure how far off he is?

Gonna go for a 2-1 win and another nervy last 15 mins. 

• Like 4