BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Instagram Dack and Butterworth

21 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

For what it worth, I think there is a massive over reaction reading some comments on here about this topic. Its the modern way of social media, like it or not.

Disagree. The players are totally out of order, including some ex players. Totally insensitive

The club should act and any local paper worth its salt would be following up on this story too

• Like 6

My view is that it simply shows the general lack of intelligence footballers have. 

They can't or don't think, and then in the case of Bennett and his inflated ego, try and take the high ground in justifying it.

At the end of the day, players like Bennett are a 1000 a penny. Journeymen players with only the smallest modicum of ability. They're not worth the merest of thoughts.

• Like 4

"Should I like a post of my old mate celebrating the heaviest defeat of my club in its history given then have been supporting me through all my injury problems? Yep sounds good to me."

I know footballers aren't the smartest but really seems a few of our lot (past and present) are really scraping the barrel. 

• Like 4

• Backroom
13 minutes ago, Silas said:

See, that just confuses me even more with Dack.

Why gob off, call someone a wally, agree people need to grow up, and then retract it. 

Just stick to your convictions if you think it's an ok thing to do.

All just very odd.

It was very easily sorted: "I'm not 'liking' the result, just congratulating an old pal that's doing well. The squad is gutted about the match, and personally, I can't wait to get back on the pitch to try and put it right. C'mon Rovers, we're better than this!"

Not rocket science. 

Indeed, although honestly I'd even have a bit of an issue with that statement. The problem with Bennett and Dack saying "it's nothing to do with the result it's just about a former team mate's success, hurr durr" is that the post they were liking was explicitly about Fulham beating Rovers 7-0. Any idea of 'general success' is secondary to the main point of Reed's post, which was to highlight how they completely thrashed us. "Enjoyable one last night! Ruthless from start to finish" was the caption. Nothing there about "we're doing really well" or any kind of vague statement regarding Fulham being successful. The post is exclusively about Fulham wiping the floor with us. 

I'm not saying that some of the players weren't liking it for the reasons Bennett stated, but the fact remains that if you 'like' a post that is entirely focused on Rovers being humiliated at home then of course the assumption is going to be that by extension you also took some enjoyment from the result, even if that enjoyment is through a friend doing well. Nobody within the squad should have taken any pleasure from us being embarrassed like that, even if a mate was involved. In fact I'd even argue less so if a mate was involved, because it should increase your own embarrassment, being involved either directly or indirectly with the team!

Again, I honestly don't care about any of the ex-players. Some have direct links to Fulham so I'm not going to be angry at them for being happy with the result. As for the rest, I have practically no affinity towards any of them, and for most of them Rovers was just a job they were (handsomely) paid for. Most of them probably do value their friendship with Reed high above any feelings they have towards Rovers. Whatever. For Dack and Butterworth though it really is a ridiculous error of judgement, retracted in retrospect or not. 

I suppose all we can hope is that Butterworth at least learns from it. 

Edited by DE.
  • Like 7

Agree, I've thought about this and it's even more annoying than I first thought. Totally get they are friends. Travis and Gallagher like ALL of Reed's posts too but chose not to like the 7-0 loss against their team - which is sensible if you have respect for your fans. Even if you want to like it you should think twice and hold back, clearly some of your teammates didn't think it was appropriate either. It potentially highlights another issue for me and that is, have the players been made to realise by the manager just how totally unacceptable that night was for the club? I'd hazard a guess off the back of this and say not enough has been said.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Silas said:

Why gob off, call someone a wally, agree people need to grow up, and then retract it. 

All just very odd.

It was very easily sorted: "I'm not 'liking' the result, just congratulating an old pal that's doing well. The squad is gutted about the match, and personally, I can't wait to get back on the pitch to try and put it right. C'mon Rovers, we're better than this!"

Not rocket science. 

That requires intelligence 

• Like 1

In the grand scheme of things is liking a photo that big of a deal? Maybe not. But still, why on earth would you not just send a private message and say well played pal or something? Fans are obviously going to see this and react badly, even more so considering the scoreline we got trounced. What on earth was Dack thinking? It’s just stupidity and something that could so easily have been avoided without adding another shit storm to a club that’s already dealing with enough shit. There’s enough in fighting between fans over the manager and now this as well. It’s tiresome. 

• Like 5

14 hours ago, riverholmes said:

It could be their way of expressing disillusionment with Mowbray or the club - or, they're just so caught up in their bubble of footballer friends, that they 'like' blindly and/or, see club attachments as far lesser than friendships.

My gut feeling, based on nothing, is the former. I think they probably are aware of the message this sends. I've heard similar issues occurring with Premier League players and it tends to be out-of-favour players, I think, who do this kind of thing. Willian at Arsenal did it shortly before leaving.

It doesn't happen but I would have huge admiration for a senior player to challenge bad management, internally, and if it's not rectified, to sacrifice their place in the team by speaking out publicly. The consequences would be harsh but a high profile player could likely find another club and not suffer too much. I can't expect any player to do this, as I'm not sure I'd risk my standard of living like that, but speaking out for the sake of a club and their fans would be very noble. I wonder if there's any case of it? (Roy Keane sort of did it at Ireland, though, personal feuding with Mick McCarthy seems to have been a part of his pulling out before World Cup 2002).

Well not really before, he was over there at the time. I don't think it started cos of anything personal with McCarthy, I think he was genuinely unhappy with how the FAI had set up the preparation.  I think he should have stayed, but I think his issues were legitimate and he obviously had much higher standards than many. 

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

It reminds me a bit of the Gael Givet comments after we lost 7-1 to Man United just after Venky's had taken over....

“We had warmed up and we went back to the dressing room,” Givet reminisced to L’Equipe . “While we were putting on our shin guards, he said: ‘Guys, wait!’ He put down a projector and showed us a montage of the films ‘Gladiator’ and ‘300’. In short, warriors with swords.

“We were all in the dressing room going: ‘Ahhhh!’ [he said mimicking a soldier with a sword]

“After 30 minutes, we were 3-0 down. We lost 7-1.

“After the match, we were all laughing. The warriors had completely passed us by.”

I don't see that as similar at all 

1 hour ago, Silas said:

Elliott and Bradley think we should grow up. 🙄

Honestly, these people live on a different planet.

Imagine being paid such spectacularly large amounts of money, failing so badly at your job, and then calling everyone else out like they're the morons.

I really can't compute it. 

I don't care that Dack wasn't on the pitch. He's part of a squad that lost 7-0. They're always telling us they win and lose together no matter who's on the teamsheet. I'd be in hiding through embarrassment. 

2 morons. Pathetic losers actually. 

They could have let the likes go under the circumstances of the defeat. 

I'm not having that that's acceptable 

• Like 1

I’m pretty sure that this generation of pampered players are given loads of media training throughout their early careers, and surely social media comes into this.

Examples of footballers using social media for good are far outweighed by those where it causes problems. For every Marcus Rashford there are 100 Andre Greys. I’d make them all delete their accounts, or as a minimum make them private. The exceptions to this in the current squad would be Dolan, who has proven despite his young years, and probably due to his more humble route into the game, that he can be trusted. Brereton too, for obvious reasons.

• Like 8

46 minutes ago, Silas said:

All just very odd.

Not rocket science. 

Because the hamster operating his brain eventually got going and he realized it was bad

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Ghost7 said:

Agree, I've thought about this and it's even more annoying than I first thought. Totally get they are friends. Travis and Gallagher like ALL of Reed's posts too but chose not to like the 7-0 loss against their team - which is sensible if you have respect for your fans. Even if you want to like it you should think twice and hold back, clearly some of your teammates didn't think it was appropriate either. It potentially highlights another issue for me and that is, have the players been made to realise by the manager just how totally unacceptable that night was for the club? I'd hazard a guess off the back of this and say not enough has been said.

A proper winner/pro would not like the post of a player celebrating a 7-0 win against their current team 

Don't care about our ex players liking it 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

It's similar in the fact that as fans a 7-1 defeat at Old Trafford or a 7-0 loss at home to Fulham hurts.

The players don't lose any sleep after it.

Givet just said what happened before the game, I don't see it as the same as liking the post of an opponent celebrating a 7-0 win against us 

1 hour ago, Silas said:

All just very odd.

Not rocket science. 

I think somebody with some brain cells at Ewood (it's a small pool I know) has had a word with him to point out the stupidity of his post. I now await a mealy mouthed press release........

Edit: And wasn't it Mowbray (as an employee of Rovers) who essentially kept Dack out of jail when he gave him a character reference after Dack couldn't be arsed doing his Community Service? He owes Rovers a lot more than we owe him and then he acts so disrespectfully.

Edited by arbitro
  • Like 5