BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

6 hours ago, ben_the_beast said:

I remember somebody posted a graph last year showing goals vs shots for all championship goalscorers. I was baffled after staring at it for a good 5 minutes that they'd missed Armstrong out. Until I realised that the graph wasn't cropped where I thought it was. It's just the dot for Armstrong was so far along the axis for shots taken that it looked like he was on a whole separate graph. Armstrong was playing for himself last season. Strikers need to he greedy at times but all he was aiming to do was score goals and didn't play for the team at all. I'm certain that a major part of our upturn in form is that we are a significantly better side without him in it. He needs a lot of work to be premier league class.

Stopped reading halfway in

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Utter nonsense, Armstrong scored 28 goals for us last season. It isnt his absence that has led to us doing better, if we had Armstrong now we would be even more dangerous, there are so many factors that have led to our improvement. Stopping trying to have excessive possession and being more pragmatic. Pickering coming in and massively improving on the woeful left backs we had. Ayala staying fit more often. Buckleys development. Brereton coming to the fore boosted further by confidence from his Chile exploits. Travis returning to full fitness and sharpness. Rothwell being somewhat re-modelled. Khadra and Van Hecke being here. Wharton being back fit. Many sub par players being released rather than being relied upon due to an unusally compact fixture list last season. The list goes on.

I think all of our players would struggle in the Prem.

You cant just ignore that he had more shots than anyone in the divison. Wether thats TM, or w/e he was bound to score goals/

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Utter nonsense, Armstrong scored 28 goals for us last season. It isnt his absence that has led to us doing better, if we had Armstrong now we would be even more dangerous, there are so many factors that have led to our improvement. Stopping trying to have excessive possession and being more pragmatic. Pickering coming in and massively improving on the woeful left backs we had. Ayala staying fit more often. Buckleys development. Brereton coming to the fore boosted further by confidence from his Chile exploits. Travis returning to full fitness and sharpness. Rothwell being somewhat re-modelled. Khadra and Van Hecke being here. Wharton being back fit. Many sub par players being released rather than being relied upon due to an unusally compact fixture list last season. The list goes on.

We'd likely be playing a different way if AA was still here in order to be tailored more to his liking. Probably after loaning in another defensive mid or two.

Nothing against Armstrong but on that score i'm glad hes gone.

• Like 1

Armstrong played for himself. That’s not a criticism but a fact. We are a far better team without him. He never brought others into play, held it up, tracked back or defended from the front. Brereton in team terms is 10 time the player Armstrong was. He also did some of those things pre Diaz. Armstrong will be found out at a higher level because his all round game is self serving

• Like 6

20 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I agree with most of your post @Roversfan99, but I disagree about the Armstrong bit in part. I dont think with Armstrong in the team you'd have seen Brereton's chage this season. The focus of the team would have been Armstrong and Ben would have been the supporting striker, I can't see Armstrong doing the donkey work that Dolan or Khadra do in this season's team. Armstrong going has forced Mowbray into a change of style which has worked.

After watching the Fulham game, and even when Sam Gallagher came on against Birmingham, Mowbray still has a liking to shunt Brereton out wide and nulify him so Armstrong going has been to benefit of the team.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, JacknOry said:

You cant just ignore that he had more shots than anyone in the divison. Wether thats TM, or w/e he was bound to score goals/

Why doesn’t every striker just shoot more then if it would result in 28 league goals?

If you put Armstrong in this system up top with Diaz we’d be just as good if not better than we are now. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

76F44924-5979-42CE-9F12-BAC6DECEF53C.thumb.jpeg.9e27a60e8cb967ed6502383454a9e8a3.jpeg

What publication is that in?

I don't see how it will make any difference signing on the out of contract players as is implied, as presumably they will get it anyway. Perhaps they mean they won't feel disconnected from the promotion charge, though tbh I wasn't worrying about that.

In fact as I said previously I'd have been offering large promotion bonuses in new contract offers, and this seems to negate that possibility, to a meaningful extent anyway. Apart from that, I think it's a very good move if true. Be a shame to lose 10 million as soon as we go up, but well worth it if it gets us over the line to the jackpot in the first place.

4 hours ago, Kie_BRFC said:

Why doesn’t every striker just shoot more then if it would result in 28 league goals?

If you put Armstrong in this system up top with Diaz we’d be just as good if not better than we are now. 

The team was tailored around him, much like it was Dack before. Its obvioulsy to turn transfers into profit - which has obviously worked out. Now its BB's turn and then it will be Gallacher. Nothing wrong with that. AA has not had many good seasons and is getting found out at the top level. Sure, lay them on a plate for a striker that takes 5/6 shots per game to get 1 or 2,

1 minute ago, JacknOry said:

The team was tailored around him, much like it was Dack before. Its obvioulsy to turn transfers into profit - which has obviously worked out. Now its BB's turn and then it will be Gallacher. Nothing wrong with that. AA has not had many good seasons and is getting found out at the top level. Sure, lay them on a plate for a striker that takes 5/6 shots per game to get 1 or 2,

If it was that simple, every team would have a striker on 28 goals.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

What publication is that in?

I don't see how it will make any difference signing on the out of contract players as is implied, as presumably they will get it anyway. Perhaps they mean they won't feel disconnected from the promotion charge, though tbh I wasn't worrying about that.

In fact as I said previously I'd have been offering large promotion bonuses in new contract offers, and this seems to negate that possibility, to a meaningful extent anyway. Apart from that, I think it's a very good move if true. Be a shame to lose 10 million as soon as we go up, but well worth it if it gets us over the line to the jackpot in the first place.

The sun

On 25/12/2021 at 11:24, roversfan99 said:

I disagree with the Armstrong bit, he was wasteful at times costing us games and points. We are more ruthless chance wise

• Like 3

Just now, 1864roverite said:

I disagree with the Armstrong bit, he was wasteful at times costing us games and points. We are more ruthless chance wise

His pace and anticipation often created his own chances too.

His goal tally is an argument of itself anyway, if it was as simple as taking loads of shots and scoring goals, every team would have a striker on 28 goals. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

His pace and anticipation often created his own chances too.

His goal tally is an argument of itself anyway, if it was as simple as taking loads of shots and scoring goals, every team would have a striker on 28 goals. 

They wouldnt. Depends on the team behind them creating chances. Very simplistic of you tbh.

15 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

They wouldnt. Depends on the team behind them creating chances. Very simplistic of you tbh.

That assumes that creating chances and then the conversion of chances are mutually exclusive. Better strikers have more chances as they get into better positions, therefore essentially create chances for themselves via good movement, as Armstrong did.

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

That assumes that creating chances and then the conversion of chances are mutually exclusive. Better strikers have more chances as they get into better positions, therefore essentially create chances for themselves via good movement, as Armstrong did.

You said that every team would have a 28 goal striker - when that's obviously not the case. its quite clear the team was catered around giving AA chances. he scored something like 1 in 5 and we finished 15th. 

6 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

You said that every team would have a 28 goal striker - when that's obviously not the case. its quite clear the team was catered around giving AA chances. he scored something like 1 in 5 and we finished 15th. 

The 15th place was down to a multitude of reasons, a few factors that have changed this season seen below:

- Misguided desire to play possession football that didn't suit us. 

- 2 horrendous left backs v one very reliable one this season and a decent back up.

- Ayala being fit much more often. Wharton back, Van Hecke added.

- Brereton being much more clinical, complex in itself. May well thrive as main man, but also increased confidence from Chile exploits, also much more clinical, last season his goal conversion was poorer than all other attackers.

- Khadra a shrewd signing. Dolan much improved, Buckley improved.

- Travis fit and sharp. Rothwell re-modelled next to him.

- Numerous sub par players let go.

- Schedule (so far) less congested.

If we had Armstrong now we would be even better. He would also suit playing on the counter rather than the possession football.

Edited by roversfan99
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The 15th place was down to a multitude of reasons, a few factors that have changed this season seen below:

- Misguided desire to play possession football that didn't suit us. 

- 2 horrendous left backs v one very reliable one this season and a decent back up.

- Ayala being fit much more often. Wharton back, Van Hecke added.

- Brereton being much more clinical, complex in itself. May well thrive as main man, but also increased confidence from Chile exploits, also much more clinical, last season his goal conversion was poorer than all other attackers.

- Khadra a shrewd signing. Dolan much improved, Buckley improved.

- Travis fit and sharp. Rothwell re-modelled next to him.

- Numerous sub par players let go.

- Schedule (so far) less congested.

If we had Armstrong now we would be even better. He would also suit playing on the counter rather than the possession football.

Nope

your wrong

armstrongs fault