BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January Transfer window 2022

This is all sounding very positive.

What's telling to me is that all 3 signings (assuming Markanday is confirmed) are all off-the-wall in different ways, and generally kept under wraps until more or less done. No mean feat these days, and shows some creative thinking with an eye to the future, whether promoted or not.

Let's hope the likes of Elliot, Kaminski, Pickering, Van Hecke & Khadra are good indicators of the type of match-ready player we're signing, as they've all worked pretty well for us from varied sources.

Edited by Atko's Engine
  • Like 6

46 minutes ago, yankfan said:

I thought it was just awaiting a medical...so all but done. 

Zeefuik just waiting on post Brexit Work Permit clearance, Dilan Markanday from Spurs done deal!

Fantastic signings both for me and a definite statement of intent.

Forget O'Reilly, absolute no chance!

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Neal said:

Time will tell with these signing but I have to be honest I'm quite impressed on face value on how well they've managed to carry out business by utilising our current league position. I very much doubt these players would sign here if we were languishing in lower mid table. I think it's right that we've targeted young lads with ability with potential resale value to come in and fight for a place rather than some big money champ/prem player who thinks they should walk straight into the side. 

If we don't manage to do it this season, sign Van Hecke and Khadra on perm in the summer and we could have the best young side in the league. 

Our young lads against dad's army without Dyche would be truly a sight to behold. 

I cant see us having any chance of getting either of those loanees here permanently next season. Van Hecke cost 2.5m and is on his second successful loan spell since and Khadra will also surely cost a fee beyond our means at Championship level.

10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I cant see us having any chance of getting either of those loanees here permanently next season. Van Hecke cost 2.5m and is on his second successful loan spell since and Khadra will also surely cost a fee beyond our means at Championship level.

depends what league we're in next season! If🤞we get into the prem then quickly signing Van Hecke & Khadra first would be a real statement of intent 

cant see either of them wanting to play another year in the championship though without at least trying to get into the brighton 1st team first

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Those defending Venkys pre-empting a window with minimal spend seem to focus their argument as if the counter argument is wild, aggressive spending that will lead us into an embargo, something that nobody has suggested.

This!

• Like 2

Just been having a look at some Markanday videos. Looks like a cross between Khadra and Armstrong. Seems a really exciting player who will fit into our system across any of the front three positions with the quality to drop off and play in a false 9 like Buckley, as well as the pace and trickery to go inside or outside on the wings.

Having Brereton, Buckley, Khadra, Dack, Dolan, Markandy and Gallagher all competing for three positions is very tidy indeed!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, simongarnerisgod said:

i we could get the lad from milton keynes and maybe an experienced older player on a free transfer,it would be beyond any of our expectations😊

I mean…so far it represents a solid start but I wouldn’t class a window like that as ‘beyond any of our expectations’ given the opportunity at hand.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Neal said:

Time will tell with these signing but I have to be honest I'm quite impressed on face value on how well they've managed to carry out business by utilising our current league position. I very much doubt these players would sign here if we were languishing in lower mid table. I think it's right that we've targeted young lads with ability with potential resale value to come in and fight for a place rather than some big money champ/prem player who thinks they should walk straight into the side. 

If we don't manage to do it this season, sign Van Hecke and Khadra on perm in the summer and we could have the best young side in the league. 

Our young lads against dad's army without Dyche would be truly a sight to behold. 

I think we might already have the best young side in the league.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, darrenrover said:

Also think 'outside the box' and look at the wealth of talent that we have at U23s and U18s!

Do you sign players that will stand in their way and hinder their future development?

If anything, I'd be looking to sign a couple of experienced players in their early 30s for reasonable money to aid our young lads' development.

Well, yes, but only if they're worth their place in the side on merit if needed as well! We already have one "experienced" player in the squad I think is a waste of a wage in Johnson and that's been the root of our problem over the last ten years, overpaying a load of over-rated and over the hill journeymen and dollopers!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I'd be signing both Van Hecke and Khadra up permanent NOW, or at worst in February, on pre-contract deals due to kick in on 1st July 2022.

Here's hoping!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Well, yes, but only if they're worth their place in the side on merit if needed as well! We already have one "experienced" player in the squad I think is a waste of a wage in Johnson and that's been the root of our problem over the last ten years, overpaying a load of over-rated and over the hill journeymen and dollopers!

You're right but you can only ever choose a starting eleven!

The days of Danny Murphy and Dixon Etuhu et al. are thankfully long since gone! I think Bradley Johnson has his worth, presence, within our young  squad of players!

Oh for a Tugay or Gordan Cowans!

• Like 1