BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

17 minutes ago, ItsRoverZ said:

I thought they just activated another year for him after this one? That's my bad, sorry 

They have just activated another year for him yes. That's why he's not out of contract already.

• Backroom
1 hour ago, Gordon Ottershaw said:

Cantwell looks comfortable on the ball, has nice hair and an Alice band. Even so, I'd be happier if we were being linked with a gritty German Right Back or a giant Scandinavian Centre Half.

Frederik Tingager, perhaps?

1 hour ago, Gordon Ottershaw said:

Cantwell looks comfortable on the ball, has nice hair and an Alice band. Even so, I'd be happier if we were being linked with a gritty German Right Back or a giant Scandinavian Centre Half.

My thoughts exactly. 

We need to get a rock hard bastard backline in place before blowing our limited funds on fancy dan luxory players.

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 3

Hard not to take this rumour with a giant pinch of salt, most likely can be categorized as Nixon again talking shite.

Typically, the rumour is very non committal saying with the article saying that "the move will be hard to make" allowing Nixon to cover all bases.

It also says that "skipper Darragh Lenihan and fellow defender Ryan Nyambe are considering new offers" which suggests that Nixon has not got his finger on the pulse!

I would be sceptical in general, he has a year to go on his deal so why would they loan him during that period to another Championship club? Would we be able to afford his wages and would he be interested?

On the player, I would be somewhat split but he is a very talented player that could potentially add some flair and real talent to our team. Very inconsistent though, has struggled in the last couple of years and seemingly has baggage and questions over attitude, and Norwich fans are not very complimentary.

The article also indicates further budget cuts, again I have no idea how Nixon could possibly know that we have £3m but I would say that if we spent that and recouped £20m for Brereton, it would be another frustrating summer of cutbacks showing a lack of ambition from the owners. It wouldn't surprise me to see such a deficit but lets see on that, I wouldn't take what Nixon says as gospel by any means.

• Like 1

We won't be loaning Cantwell if he only has 12months left.

At best it would be a loan with an obligation to buy in January but still doesn't seem worth it.

If Norwich want shut of him they'll be selling him, even for a couple of mill. Makes no sense to loan for a smaller fee and let him walk away for free at the end of the season.

• Like 1

For me cantwell is a big of a luxury player and our squad isn't currently good enough to carry him, if he isn't performing. A bit like Armstrong before his last season and a bit where he started actually taking his chances. That said if we can get a good deal there is definitely a player in there. At least we are being linked with decent players which is a good sign.

Edited by Danny O.Brien

1 hour ago, simongarnerisgod said:

id`e be having a go at getting scott twine,the box to box mk dons midfielder,runs all day,gets into good positions and has a great long shot on him he`s  ready for the step up imo,won`t last long at mk dons before a bigger club steps in and takes him

Absolutely. Now we have a decent set up I'm place we'd actually be somewhat appealing to a player of his ilk. Though I imagine Mk Don's will be holding out for a decent fee considering the year he had last year. 

1 hour ago, simongarnerisgod said:

id`e be having a go at getting scott twine,the box to box mk dons midfielder,runs all day,gets into good positions and has a great long shot on him he`s  ready for the step up imo,won`t last long at mk dons before a bigger club steps in and takes him

I was going to write a list of championship/lower prem clubs that have been quoted as  being interested in him.Then it occurred to me that it would be quicker to write a list of clubs that aren’t interested.

• Like 1

Let's remind ourselves of the wage bill at this Club at the end of the 2020/21 season.

Compare to what that wage bill will be in 2 weeks time.

Wages off the books:

Lenihan, Nyambe, Rothwell, Johnson, Davenport, Chapman, Williams, Bell, Mulgrew, Bennett, Evans, Holtby, Armstrong, Downing, Smallwood, Leutwiler

Add to that the cash received for Armstrong and probably coming for Brereton.

The budget has not only been cut, it has been demolished. The fact that in doing so we actually had a better season last year is impressive.

But the point is that there should be plenty of space in there for some good signings. The issue shouldn't be 'can we' rather its 'will Venkys allow it'.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Let's remind ourselves of the wage bill at this Club at the end of the 2020/21 season.

Compare to what that wage bill will be in 2 weeks time.

Wages off the books:

Lenihan, Nyambe, Rothwell, Johnson, Davenport, Chapman, Williams, Bell, Mulgrew, Bennett, Evans, Holtby, Armstrong, Downing, Smallwood, Leutwiler

Add to that the cash received for Armstrong and probably coming for Brereton.

The budget has not only been cut, it has been demolished. The fact that in doing so we actually had a better season last year is impressive.

But the point is that there should be plenty of space in there for some good signings. The issue shouldn't be 'can we' rather its 'will Venkys allow it'.

Surely we haven’t still been paying the salaries of Williams, Bell, Mulgrew, Bennett, Evans, Holtby, Armstrong, Downing, Smallwood, Leutwiler?

Edited by roversinmyblood
  • Like 2

With all the talk of decisions being made for the team and the expectation of hard work, etc, Cantwell doesn’t seem to fit that. Undeniably a very talented footballer and capable of individual brilliance, but not what we need, especially when JDT is probably spending a lot of time working on team cohesion, understanding and developing a culture.

Seems way too disruptive, to me, but if Broughton knows him well enough, maybe he can contribute to getting the best out of him.

58 minutes ago, roversinmyblood said:

Surely we haven’t still been paying the salaries of Williams, Bell, Mulgrew, Bennett, Evans, Holtby, Armstrong, Downing, Smallwood, Leutwiler?

All apart from maybe Smallwood and Leutwiler were under contract this time last year (Williams slightly earlier with his move to America)

When we look at who has come in since then on permanent terms - Edun, Pickering, not many others, the wage bill must be a fraction of what it was recently.

I suppose the question is that having allowed wages to get to that point under Mowbray, and allegedly only being forced into cuts due to Covid and FFP, whether they turn the taps back on under the new regime.

They can if they want.

Just now, JHRover said:

All apart from maybe Smallwood and Leutwiler were under contract this time last year (Williams slightly earlier with his move to America)

When we look at who has come in since then on permanent terms - Edun, Pickering, not many others, the wage bill must be a fraction of what it was recently.

I suppose the question is that having allowed wages to get to that point under Mowbray, and allegedly only being forced into cuts due to Covid and FFP, whether they turn the taps back on under the new regime.

They can if they want.

Hedges, the lad from Spurs and Brown.

Cantwell would be a top signing - potentially the best player in the championship. However there are big questions over his attitude meaning there is a certain amount of risk. 

Personally would rather us go for Twine who is available for 3m. Also not snapping up Darling for 1.5m is a massive shame - he’ll be a big success at Swansea 

I would be pleasantly surprised if we spent 3m on a player this summer. Twine seems a real talent although it wouldnt make sense to spend so much on someone who operates in a similar role to Dack. Cantwell likes to play from the left so would potentially fit in although as previously stated I dont see that one happening either.

26 minutes ago, TruRover said:

Cantwell would be a top signing - potentially the best player in the championship. However there are big questions over his attitude meaning there is a certain amount of risk. 

Personally would rather us go for Twine who is available for 3m. Also not snapping up Darling for 1.5m is a massive shame - he’ll be a big success at Swansea 

If a manager of the calibre of Dean Smith is prepared to let him go, alarm bells should be ringing. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, islander200 said:

Cantwell would be a decent signing but shouldn't be a priority.If the budget is once again minimal then be daft to blow the majority of it on Cantwell.

A number 9, Centre back, Central midfield and Right back(if Nyambe leaves)should be the priority imo.

Do we not need a left side winger/midfielder this summer if Brereton is going? 

• Like 1