BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

On putting out a team from the current squad, why change a winning team? I'd go with the one which won at Birmingham, played so well and scored 2 of the best goals you'll see. 
Current squad wise, purely on numbers of our own players, we've lost 5. We've gained 2 in Carter and Magloire, and arguably another 3 in Dack, JRC and Markanday. The relative quality can be questioned, but I'd say the numbers are equal, maybe even one to the good if Ayala is fit. 
I keep hearing we've lost Van Hecke and Khadra, but we never had them,they weren't ours. The loan market is available for the new management team to hopefully improve on them. I would have Poveda back in a breath, looked a real player when he got going. 
Signings wise,it would be easy to just sign anybody, but hopefully the apparent lack of activity means we're looking at quality, rather than quantity. 
I'm quite hopeful for this season, 3 maybe 4 good additions to that young, hungry squad and we'll be in good shape. We finished 8th last season, no reason to believe we can't at least match it. 
Looking forward to tomorrow. 

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

He isn't a RB/WB he might have a place somewhere else and impress but he is diabolical in that position 

I think he had bags of potential playing further up the pitch. Last season was an absolute disaster for the lad and there’s a worry that injuries and being repeatedly shoehorned into a position that doesn’t suit him is ruining him. Big season for him I think, just hope to god he’s not employed in defence.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, RoverDom said:
15 minutes ago, Gav said:

We are now waiting for other clubs with bigger budgets to do there bidding and see whats left

My mate at uni had a similar approach to women on a night out, he was quite successful.... 

reminds me of an experience in Amsterdam

8 minutes ago, RoverDom said:

My mate at uni had a similar approach to women on a night out, he was quite successful.... 

The trick is, never let the women know about your strategy.

Edited by rigger

I think there is clearly one thing that we don't have since Mowbray and Venus departed and that is leaks to the media and so on.

Business is being done behind the scene that is obvious and yes, the lack of information is frustrating at the moment but for me, its a marked improvement not still having the previous regime doing the work!

7 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

Just wanted to highlight a few quotes here to illustrate how certain people within the game view the 'project' at Rovers. These quotes are from Lenihan, Mowbray and Hourihane. If you read between the lines it is clear what is being said.

1) This is Lenihan talking to the Boro Gazette a couple of days ago:

Middlesbrough is a club going in the right direction, with Premier League ambitions and that’s where I want to be. The manager has been there and done it, and with chats with him it was clear he knows what he wants."

The inference being that Rovers are not going in the right direction and do not have Premier League ambitions. Below is the Lenihan article.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lenihan-middlesbrough-settling-tony-mowbray-24396001.amp

2) I'm far from a Mowbray fan, but when he left he dropped a few hints as to what the situation is really like at Rovers. He made the following comments:

"If you want a winner (as the next manager), if you just want to win, then you need to spend some money. Or you can get a coach in who can work with the younger players and help them to develop and grow as footballers."

"I want to give myself a chance to compete in the Premier League if I can. I want to be at a football club with a chance, that has got the finance, the backing, the support, everything around it, the base to compete in this league at the top, and be disappointed if you don't get out of this division". 

The inference being that Rovers have none of the above under these owners. The comment can be found on the video below. I don't think this version of the clip has been shared here before. From 1:30 onwards. Note how he was about to say "there's lots and lots that needs to change in order for me to stay" before stopping himself.

3) Assume for a moment that Hourihane turned Rovers down and chose Derby instead. This is what Hourihane said about choosing to sign for Derby:

"I am 31 and I was looking for something that was going to excite me, something that I can be a big part of.

I've played all the way from League Two up to the Premier League but having analysed it as a free agent I was thinking what do I want next, what do I want to achieve and what do I want to be a part of? Derby ticked all of the boxes".

The inference being that the Rovers project did not excite him and that he'd rather play in League 1 at a club that he saw as having a plan.

The common theme here, being put forward indirectly, is that Rovers have no ambition to go up, there is no desire or finance from the owners to even attempt to make promotion a possibility. Any talk of promotion is hot air, in reality the setup isn't there for it. The talk of becoming a "sustainable Premier League club" is nothing but fantasy, imo.

How they have got JDT here, I don't know. Well, actually, we can guess. It's pointing more and more towards a Lambert to me by the day. When he realises what has happened, he'll be off. He did not come here just to develop some of the youngsters and to sit in mid table.

Maybe wait and see who does come in.

You were certain it would be Adkins or someone similar as our new manager 5 weeks ago.

Mowbray was given money here initially ,10 million on 3 forwards in the space of 12 month alone.11 players through the door the summer of the pandemic.

When Tony was under contract they were wonderful owners who would always help when asked....as soon as it became apparent that no contract was coming his way he started moaning.Trying to deflect away from our terrible second half of the season "it's the owners fault they have given me no money"

Hourihane Is very ambitious going to play in league 1 for 8k a week.He has a 2 year deal, if Derby get promoted he will be a bit part player or released.

11 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

Just wanted to highlight a few quotes here to illustrate how certain people within the game view the 'project' at Rovers. These quotes are from Lenihan, Mowbray and Hourihane. If you read between the lines it is clear what is being said.

Middlesbrough is a club going in the right direction, with Premier League ambitions and that’s where I want to be. The manager has been there and done it, and with chats with him it was clear he knows what he wants."

The inference being that Rovers are not going in the right direction and do not have Premier League ambitions. Below is the Lenihan article.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lenihan-middlesbrough-settling-tony-mowbray-24396001.amp

2) I'm far from a Mowbray fan, but when he left he dropped a few hints as to what the situation is really like at Rovers. He made the following comments:

"If you want a winner (as the next manager), if you just want to win, then you need to spend some money. Or you can get a coach in who can work with the younger players and help them to develop and grow as footballers."

"I want to give myself a chance to compete in the Premier League if I can. I want to be at a football club with a chance, that has got the finance, the backing, the support, everything around it, the base to compete in this league at the top, and be disappointed if you don't get out of this division". 

The inference being that Rovers have none of the above under these owners. The comment can be found on the video below. I don't think this version of the clip has been shared here before. From 1:30 onwards. Note how he was about to say "there's lots and lots that needs to change in order for me to stay" before stopping himself.

3) Assume for a moment that Hourihane turned Rovers down and chose Derby instead. This is what Hourihane said about choosing to sign for Derby:

"I am 31 and I was looking for something that was going to excite me, something that I can be a big part of.

I've played all the way from League Two up to the Premier League but having analysed it as a free agent I was thinking what do I want next, what do I want to achieve and what do I want to be a part of? Derby ticked all of the boxes".

The inference being that the Rovers project did not excite him and that he'd rather play in League 1 at a club that he saw as having a plan.

The common theme here, being put forward indirectly, is that Rovers have no ambition to go up, there is no desire or finance from the owners to even attempt to make promotion a possibility. Any talk of promotion is hot air, in reality the setup isn't there for it. The talk of becoming a "sustainable Premier League club" is nothing but fantasy, imo.

How they have got JDT here, I don't know. Well, actually, we can guess. It's pointing more and more towards a Lambert to me by the day. When he realises what has happened, he'll be off. He did not come here just to develop some of the youngsters and to sit in mid table.

You may be right, you may be wrong, who knows right now as it's too early to say.

Had you posted this say in October/November and nothing changed you'd be on the money.

Let's wait and see (sorry for the Mowbray  chat)

1 hour ago, Norn Iron Rover said:

The lack of transfers (or even rumours) is certainly frustrating but I think we have to remain patient. It's going to take a bit of time for GB to put his stamp on the recruitment side. Ideally we should be identifying targets/making moves earlier but embedding the sort of processes required to do this well will take time. It's going to take 2 or 3 windows for JDT to assemble the squad he wants so I think panic buying at this stage (just to get bodies in) would be foolish, especially when funds are limited. I see this coming season as a transition so I'm happy if we make a couple of buys in key areas and then use younger lads and loans to fill out the rest of the squad.

Transition is fine as long as it doesn’t lead to relegation. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

Or, we can just assume the following. 

1 - A player has signed for a new club and has to talk up how excited he is to join a bigger and better team/project.

2 - A manager has lost his job and has to try and explain why he had such a horrible second half of the campaign and why he was no longer wanted/wasn't the right person for the job. 

3 - Who knows. Players join clubs for a variety of reasons. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

I think there is clearly one thing that we don't have since Mowbray and Venus departed and that is leaks to the media and so on.

Business is being done behind the scene that is obvious and yes, the lack of information is frustrating at the moment but for me, its a marked improvement not still having the previous regime doing the work!

I don't know about anyone else, but for the past few years the media hasn't had a whiff of whats truly going on as far as I could tell?

Maybe I'm reading the wrong newspapers or not reading the correct sites.

This site on the other hand has had bullshit story after bullshit story from one source, all proven to be untrue, but I'll leave that one alone.

Edited by Gav
  • Like 3

Anyone else reckon we might have shifted a few more season tickets had we got some serious transfer business done and showed proper backing to the new manager?

I suspect this was never on the agenda. What we are seeing is "the plan" - no spending, no substantial deals, cutbacks.

Usually ends one way.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Gav said:

I don't know about anyone else, but for the past few years the media hasn't had a whiff of whats truly going on as far as I could tell?

Maybe I'm reading the wrong newspapers or not reading the correct sites.

This site on the other hand has had bullshit story after bullshit story from one source, all proven to be untrue, but I'll leave that one alone.

You are correct. Leaks were plugged quite early in the Mowbray reign. I recall him bitching about them, quite rightly, and someone got a plumber in.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

Ol' Tone was fine with the status quo while we topped up his pension.

It suddenly became a problem when we stopped communicating with him (cos we're not professional enough to simply tell him to leave).

Chief Lemon Drizzler, Lenihan has been brainwashed by Mowbray.

I can't speak on the Derby player, but it looks like he wanted a guaranteed starting place. Derby are hardly a club you'd be seeking out a this moment in time if you had any ambition.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Anyone else reckon we might have shifted a few more season tickets had we got some serious transfer business done and showed proper backing to the new manager?

I suspect this was never on the agenda. What we are seeing is "the plan" - no spending, no substantial deals, cutbacks.

Usually ends one way.

It really can only have one outcome.

The imponderable is how long it takes.

35 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

See, local 'journalists' THAT is how to put a story together 🙂 Joining the dots is not rocket science, but it sure beats looking at bloody dots and saying, "I see dots'. 

Good insights and inference SuperBRFC - I'd wager in the old days, Peter White or another old school journalist would have been on this like a shot!

5 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Ol' Tone was fine with the status quo while we topped up his pension.

It suddenly became a problem when we stopped communicating with him (cos we're not professional enough to simply tell him to leave).

Chief Lemon Drizzler, Lenihan has been brainwashed by Mowbray.

I can't speak on the Derby player, but it looks like he wanted a guaranteed starting place. Derby are hardly a club you'd be seeking out a this moment in time if you had any ambition.

Really? They've just been through hell and survived, been subject of a successful refinancing by an experienced crew who want to be in football, and as far as I know, they still have a shrewd and football oriented manager at the helm, in a league where with their nous and squad depth they will have an absolute ball. 

Hmm, nobody in their right mind would want to go there... right..

32 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

Why are we assuming this. You can't just pick random comments and use them to read between the lines about Blackburn.

Take this quote.

I am the egg man
They are the egg men
I am the walrus
Goo goo g'joob

Now clearly the writer is saying that he is the egg man but with his second line jdt is also one of the egg men but the killer is that jdt is not the walrus if we read between the lines it's clear what's being referenced here. He then goes on to say goo goo g'joob if that's not a dig at the Blackburn project then I don't know what else is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beanie01289 said:

Why are we assuming this. You can't just pick random comments and use them to read between the lines about Blackburn.

Take this quote.

I am the egg man
They are the egg men
I am the walrus
Goo goo g'joob

Now clearly the writer is saying that he is the egg man but with his second line jdt is also one of the egg men but the killer is that jdt is not the walrus if we read between the lines it's clear what's being referenced here. He then goes on to say goo goo g'joob if that's not a dig at the Blackburn project then I don't know what else is.

Egg men = Venkys of course, what with all the chickens.

Egg man = The manager, and lyricist here, who by being the egg men's man becomes the egg man.

Walrus = Steve Waggott, for obvious aesthetic reasons. By having to work under Waggott they become beholden to his walrus-like nature and become unto a walrus themselves.

Goo goo g'joob = An attempt to say he wants to do a 'good job', but his brain has been frazzled by the circus already and he can barely speak.

Pretty obvious stuff.

• Like 1