BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

3 minutes ago, JoeH said:

As would I. 21's teams can't compete with senior sides, the Papa John's showcases that every season.

That is a full team of youngsters though, as opposed to selecting the handful of top players earmarked for top tiers of football

Let's have it right Wharton and Phillips have been touted as future players for Rovers for a while now. In most youth squads the sad reality is there's a handful of good lads and the rest are making up the numbers. That's football - it's a ruthless sport

Garrett has represented England youth and looks a player but this season is too early for him.

Hayden Carter and Jack Vale have both had games at senior level under their belt. Carter especially looks like he can make it. I haven't seen enough of Vale but people I trust think he's a good en, and let's be honest, they have watched him more times than roversfan who disregards youth football as uncompetitive. Take his word about any young player with a pinch of salt

I think this myth that we have, or are going to be, relying on large amounts of youth kids to play regularly in the starting 11 is pub talk frankly.

12 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I think Carter will be the starting RCB this season, personally think he's very well suited to it. If we went and bought an impressive L1 defender of his age for 500k this summer, plenty would be fairly content. 

Im not sure they would if that was a direct replacement for either a captain or a player of the season. As a 3rd or 4th choice behind Wharton and a new ready made centre back, then that would make much more sense.

3 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

That is a full team of youngsters though, as opposed to selecting the handful of top players earmarked for top tiers of football

Let's have it right Wharton and Phillips have been touted as future players for Rovers for a while now. In most youth squads the sad reality is there's a handful of good lads and the rest are making up the numbers. That's football - it's a ruthless sport

Garrett has represented England youth and looks a player but this season is too early for him.

Hayden Carter and Jack Vale have both had games at senior level under their belt. Carter especially looks like he can make it. I haven't seen enough of Vale but people I trust think he's a good en, and let's be honest, they have watched him more times than roversfan who disregards youth football as uncompetitive. Take his word about any young player with a pinch of salt

I think this myth that we have, or are going to be, relying on large amounts of youth kids to play regularly in the starting 11 is pub talk frankly.

I have never said that Vale isnt a "good un." The point is that youth football is obviously not a reliable barometer for 2nd tier Championship football and I have never said x or y isnt good enough or that they shouldnt get chances where appropriate, just that expecting a number to all step up even as squad members at the same time in the absence of enough senior recruits is really risky. 

It is also totally impossible to compare Zouma/Jones and Phillips, no matter how highly rated the latter is.

• Like 1

Rumour on twitter, from someone who does have direct links with people at the club, that Phillips hasnt signed the new deal which I thought was done and dusted and came into play on 1st July 2022.

Allegedly he was told at Accrington Saturday by someone at the club.

Dont know if any truth in it, but the poster is not one to tweet something which he does not believe to be true.

Has anyone else heard anything?

For me the only young lads that should be around the squad are Garrett Vale and Phillips. The rest all need loaning out, wouldn’t even be against those 3 being loaned out either.

Regular first team football will be more beneficial for those lads than being bit part players here, and yes I know we haven’t signed anyone yet which means we might need these lads in the squad but I absolutely expect us to have 2 in before the season starts and a total of 6 or 7 in before the window shuts, we simply have to do that. 

34 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

We don't want to end up in a position where we are trying to make players good enough when they aren't just because we have no one else.

It's not beyond comprehension that a lightbuld has gone off in an empty head somewhere, assuming that because we've used a few in recent years then every player coming through is good enough to step up.  

That wouldn't surprise me one bit and is a road to disaster, JDT will end up another Venky and friends fall guy.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Im not sure they would if that was a direct replacement for either a captain or a player of the season. As a 3rd or 4th choice behind Wharton and a new ready made centre back, then that would make much more sense.

I have never said that Vale isnt a "good un." The point is that youth football is obviously not a reliable barometer for 2nd tier Championship football and I have never said x or y isnt good enough or that they shouldnt get chances where appropriate, just that expecting a number to all step up even as squad members at the same time in the absence of enough senior recruits is really risky. 

It is also totally impossible to compare Zouma/Jones and Phillips, no matter how highly rated the latter is.

You are still making out like it's "a number", assuming large

Truth is if you have watched Wharton you'll know you'd rather him in the middle than Johnson. If Garrett is replacing Davenport then it probably is a downgrade currently, but Davenport was never fit anyway. Rothwell's replacement will have to be someone, but I suspect Buckley will be dropping deeper with Dack back fit.

In defence Carter is good enough for this league, as is Wharton and Ayala. The only players we have been linked with really are centre halves so it's obvious the management see a need for an extra body in there. I don't think anybody is suggesting Phillips is going to replace Lenihan - just you - but in requiring 2 or 3 centre backs I'd say is far off the mark. You need one more in there with Phillips and Carter as back up.

Up front you still have Dack, Markanday, BBD (hopefully), Gallagher and Dolan. Vale would be back up to them.

So where is this "large number" coming from? All a melodrama really.

And why is it totally impossible to compare Zouma and Jones to Phillips.......they were 17 at one point in time as well you know. They all seem to be having similar trajectories: decorated youth careers with early forays into professional football. Highly rated by the top clubs. Why's it impossible? Because you say so? The lad is 17 and if he is as good as people say he is then I'm all for giving him a go. But as said he probably isn't going to be this first teamer people are trying to make him out to be because we have options already and are looking likely to sign another CB, whoever and whenever that may be

Edited by Dreams of 1995
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, neophox said:

Adam Wharton seems to have caught the eye of JDT.....

Interesting to see which of the youngster who will be on the bench tomorrow.

Kaminski

Brown - Carter - Ayala - Wharton - Pickering

Travis - Buckley

Dolan - Gallagher - Brereton

Right back is our biggest problem right now.

That defence has relegation all over it, IMO, particularly if Ayala misses parts of the season through injury. Powderpuff in midfield, no goals upfront without Brereton, and mainly kids as backups.

It's going to be a long season.

In terms of recruitment, why does a club that spends so little on signings need to add all of these layers to bring players in?

JHR was on the nose with his post, IMO. Make it look like things are going to happen now that a Head of Recruitment is coming in. It's always a case of "wait until x, y or z is back/arrives/appointed. We are being strung along, once again. Things are likely to move at even more of a snail's pace now, with seemingly nothing more than buttons to play with. I feel for Broughton and JDT as they are not to blame for this mess.

Before we know it though, it'll be a case of "we've still got the January window, be patient" and "wait until next summer when they have enough time to sit down together and get it right" from some of our fans.

We are being played.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tomphil said:

We don't want to end up in a position where we are trying to make players good enough when they aren't just because we have no one else.

It's not beyond comprehension that a lightbuld has gone off in an empty head somewhere, assuming that because we've used a few in recent years then every player coming through is good enough to step up.  

That wouldn't surprise me one bit and is a road to disaster, JDT will end up another Venky and friends fall guy.

True but I don't think that is the case at all

When you look at the squad I'm honestly struggling to see where we are plugging all these young players in to fill gaps. In my eyes, they are the substitute bench, and the likelihood of us fielding them all at once is slim

We are being linked with centre halves so the position of worry looks like it's being addressed. We will miss out on players but unfortunately that's the position we are in thanks to the owners. In reality I think whilst we are likely to see a bt more of Wharton, Vale and Carter this year, I don't think they are going to be considered starting 11

But, I will say this, if JDT does consider them starting 11 then that is on him. He would clearly think they are good enough and that's his decision. There are a lot of freebies out there who we could sign within the wage bill if he thought otherwise, to say not is silly, but JDT and Broughton have a clear directive of signing good players with the youth as complimentary to that. They've made that clear themselves, or at least GB has

7 hours ago, neophox said:

We have a much sought after 18 year old right back in Jay Haddow signing a pro deal. Japan under 18 international. Have anyone seen this guy play? Forest and some other teams wanted to sign him this summer.

He is a typical modern full-back, better at going forward than defending. In my opinion.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SuperBrfc said:

That defence has relegation all over it, IMO, particularly if Ayala misses parts of the season through injury. Powderpuff in midfield, no goals upfront without Brereton, and mainly kids as backups.

It's going to be a long season.

In terms of recruitment, why does a club that spends so little on signings need to add all of these layers to bring players in?

JHR was on the nose with his post, IMO. Make it look like things are going to happen now that a Head of Recruitment is coming in. It's always a case of "wait until x, y or z is back/arrives/appointed. We are being strung along, once again. Things are likely to move at even more of a snail's pace now, with seemingly nothing more than buttons to play with. I feel for Broughton and JDT as they are not to blame for this mess.

Before we know it though, it'll be a case of "we've still got the January window, be patient" and "wait until next summer when they have enough time to sit down together and get it right" from some of our fans.

We are being played.

Being played by who?

Broughton is literally the most qualified guy at the club - far more qualified than anyone we've had for a while. JDT was a borderline World Class player and clearly a highly ambitious manager (he walked away from a very comfortable job).

They're not going along with this conspiracy theory that some on here have woven - either they get backed in the transfer market, or both will be off before Christmas and this club gets relegated. 

If Ayala stays and we sign another cb we'll have 

Ayala

Wharton 

Carter 

Phillips as 5th choice. That's not a disaster. He'll get some minutes but we wouldn't be relying on him.

I wonder if there's school of thought that we're not going to keep hold of Phillips long so chuck him in at the deep end, hope he floats and drives his value up rather than lose him for peanuts after a couple of league 1/2 apperances.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, glen9mullan said:

Rumour on twitter, from someone who does have direct links with people at the club, that Phillips hasnt signed the new deal which I thought was done and dusted and came into play on 1st July 2022.

Allegedly he was told at Accrington Saturday by someone at the club.

Dont know if any truth in it, but the poster is not one to tweet something which he does not believe to be true.

Has anyone else heard anything?

His mum will want to get off Twitter if he's shafting the club like that. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rigger said:

You can do worse than sign no-one. You can sign a load of shit.

If we sign no one we'll be playing the tea lady, oh wait a minute........ hasn't she been sacked too?

Get your boots out of the cupboard rigger.

• Like 1

People on here already starting to try and make Broughton our latest villain! 

As far as i can see it's JDTs job to tell Broughton which positions need strengthening and then its Boughtons job to identify some players and draw up a short list, BUT! Its still Sunhail Pasha, Waggot and Owners job to negotiate the deals to get the players in. 

So in that regards nothing has changed, the broblem is still with useless amature shits Sunhail(the illusive) Pasha and Steve Waggot. 

Edited by Armchair supporter supremo
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Mellor Rover said:

Twitter is a depressing place seeing all these deals been done everywhere. 

Cardiff have signed 12! Not all world beaters but there’s a bit of quality in there. Only us and Blackpool who are yet to sign anyone 👀

• Like 1