BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

19 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

It would not be progress to potentially drop 4 positions in the table.

I know that in your eyes no-one could possibly do as good a job as Saint Tony but it is incumbent on me to point out that since finishing 8th we've lost nine players from that squad (for nothing) so it's totally unfair for you to use last season's finishing position as the benchmark.

If we do beat it, fantastic,  but it would be some achievement I feel.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

But it really felt like Wharton and Garrett were close to proving themselves, now we get to develop another teams player once again.

Only Travis Buckley and Morton ahead of them, they'll get plenty of minutes over a long season. 

14 minutes ago, jny said:

The last kid we had on loan from Liverpool wasn't all that bad, as I recall.

He was, he was cack. The one before him though was quality

16 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Morton has me very underwhelmed to be honest, but then so did van Hecke and Khadra.

But it really felt like Wharton and Garrett were close to proving themselves, now we get to develop another teams player once again.

Broughton has literally just said that they went with a loan so as to not block the path of Wharton, Garrett et al. 

Morton is further along in his development - he's started a CL match at the San Siro ffs - so it's a sensible deal whilst also providing the opportunity for Garrett, Wharton etc to grasp playing time with both hands. 

• Like 4

Looking at Broughton's comments it does seem like they've identified that Wharton and Garrett aren't completely ready yet so this guy is a stopgap until they are. Not the worst plan but will look foolish if 1. Morton isn't good enough and doesn't play anyway (a la Clarkson) or 2. Morton being here stops the academy lads development in its tracks. 

Would hope that we're still in for Styles though...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Erased Citizen said:

Looking at Broughton's comments it does seem like they've identified that Wharton and Garrett aren't completely ready yet so this guy is a stopgap until they are. Not the worst plan but will look foolish if 1. Morton isn't good enough and doesn't play anyway (a la Clarkson) or 2. Morton being here stops the academy lads development in its tracks. 

Would hope that we're still in for Styles though...

Yeah, doesn't really add up to me. He's got no more experience that Wharton or Garrett, and seems a similar sort of player. I get having someone to bridge the gap while the other players mature makes sense, but not when that player is also immature? I guess we need to see him play, but instinctively doesn't feel the right fit.

2 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Yeah, doesn't really add up to me. He's got no more experience that Wharton or Garrett, and seems a similar sort of player. I get having someone to bridge the gap while the other players mature makes sense, but not when that player is also immature? I guess we need to see him play, but instinctively doesn't feel the right fit.

I didn't realise Wharton and Garret had played first team football in the Champions League and Premiership, week in, week out, surrounded by world class players and represented England at Under 20's level.

It may only be a small amount of games but not quite sure how you can state they have more experience.

• Like 1

I'll reserve judgment on Morton just like I will on any signing I know very little about rather than heralding it as a masterstroke. He could be another Harvey Elliott, Leighton Clarkson or somewhere in between.

My views on borrowing other clubs players to fill gaps in the squad are already known. I'm not a fan of it. Unless the player is so good that we couldn't possibly do better by signing our own or it is the icing on the cake I don't think it is a sensible policy in any respect other than financial - it certainly isn't a policy that is suggestive of building an asset base or a long term plan.

Yes I know what Broughton has had to say about our own academy lads having 'pathways' into the first team but that suggests to me that we are approaching recruitment based on a short term arrangement in the hope that a year or two down the line the academy lads step up to the plate.

Having let so many players leave I am worried that those numbers required keep on being cut down. Having offloaded 10 from last season's squad I would hope to see 5-6 permanent additions and then maybe a couple of loans to finish things off. I can see it now people will be saying after this and the Peterborough lad that we are almost sorted. I think not.

• Like 3

Obviously only a high-level view, but thought I'd look at Elliott, Clarkson, and Morton's relative game experience (including how often they made the bench, which is a pedigree indicator, to some extent...) at the time of their Rovers loans:

Elliott

PL: 2 subs, 24 mins, 15 subs benches.

Cups: 7 starts, 1 sub, 576 mins.

Cups (u21s): 1 start, 1 sub, 110 mins. 

CL: nil.

Clarkson

PL: 3 subs benches.

Cups: 1 start, 1 sub, 3 subs benches, 103 mins.

Cups (u21s): 3 starts, 270 mins. 

CL: 1 start, 4 subs benches, 90 mins.

Morton

PL: 1 start, 1 sub, 7 subs benches, 66 mins.

Cups: 3 starts, 2 subs, 3 subs benches, 299 mins.

Cups (u21s): 2 starts, 180 mins. 

CL: 2 starts, 1 subs bench, 180 mins.

So, by this (very broad!) view, Morton is a bit further along than Clarkson was (while Elliott was clearly a step above simply because of his age!)

• Like 5