BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

It's a bit stupid, presumptuous and narrow minded to start bleating on about Szmodics signing spelling the end for Dack at the club.

Whether we like it or not there's still question marks over Dacks fitness, even if it is at a decent level it's highly unlikely he goes all season injury free. 

Last season we were crying out for a Dack type to chip in, we didn't have one, which resulted in added pressure and expectations on the man himself when returning from injury. Having Szmodics on board means we can be more cautious with Dack, we can take less risks and we aren't throwing all our eggs in a Dack shaped basket.

• Like 5

Do wonder if a half season loan for Dack to get him regular game time could be the way to go, but there'd have to be a heck of a lot of trust in the team he goes to and Dack may need to swallow his pride and go down a league (as well as us likely still have to pay the majority of his wages). 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Neal said:

We have a lot of attacking mids... Dack, Hedges, Dolan, Markanday and Szmodics... All potential first teamers, how do they all fit in? Feel were more pressing issues that needed sorting out.

Nevertheless... Welcome Sammie, prove to be better than the rest. 

Staying the obvious but an out and out goalscorer is what we need.  I'm not massive fan of attacking central  midfielders all over the park.  Give me proper line hugging wingers and a striker who knows where the back of the net is!

Anyway - welcome on board Sammie👍

• Like 3

1 hour ago, alex l said:

Do wonder if a half season loan for Dack to get him regular game time could be the way to go, but there'd have to be a heck of a lot of trust in the team he goes to and Dack may need to swallow his pride and go down a league (as well as us likely still have to pay the majority of his wages). 

Erm why? No reason he won't be getting regular game time at Ewood. He didn't get a full pre season under his belt, did you expect him to be risked at the weekend? We weren't chasing a goal either, had we been then he may well have featured.

People are in a flap because he allegedly didn't wave at someone in the crowd and his missus said "he's ready to play". Let's scrap our medical team and get some bint in to make the calls on player fitness as well whilst we're at it 👍

9 hours ago, Andy said:

Certainly puts that 'owners have turned off the taps' whisper to bed, from a couple of weeks ago.

Does it? 

10 outgoings, 3 incomings, 1 a youngster on loan and 2 from League One.

Long way to go yet. Another 3 needed minimum.

Looks like they've allowed a slice of the Armstrong money into the pot a year on, or if Brereton goes they will still turn a huge profit on trading again. Not to mention the wage bill which will be a fraction of what it was 14 months ago.

So lets see where we stand at the end of the window. If there's been a significant net outlay on new players I'll applaud them, but if this is the limit of it or it is covered 8 times over by Brereton being sold I'm afraid it is just more of the same from Venkys.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Staying the obvious but an out and out goalscorer is what we need.  I'm not massive fan of attacking central  midfielders all over the park.  Give me proper line hugging wingers and a striker who knows where the back of the net is!

Anyway - welcome on board Sammie👍

Well, we were trying to sign Antonio Colak who ended up at Rangers who is your archetypical big centre forward goalscorer. Don't know if that's still something we're looking to add. 

• Like 1

So we are beginning to replace the losses from last season. 

My thoughts are as follows:

Brittan - I liked Nayambe a lot and wonder if he will be as good defensively - which imo is first priority. That said he seems better suited to a wingback system which we may employ (?) and has championship experience. Most importantly a hole has been filled by someone who isn't a clear downgrade. Are we better off? Unsure. I suspect a very different RB with different strengths and weaknesses so it could go either way. Appears to be a positive first outing which is encouraging. A neutral/slightly positive signing. 

Morton - unsure why we have got him given Buckley and Travis. Seems more pressing needs. However if he is quality then he will improve the team and drive up standards. On one hand I feel there are way more pressing issues. On the other relying on Edun and youngsters for back up seems a bit thin so on reflection it might not be a bad move. 

The Peterborough lad - most excited by as he seems to be a player identified by JDT and for his system and style. Feels like in a better team he could really step up in the championship. Will add attacking threat which I feel is massively needed with Dack struggling for fitness, Armstrong and Elliott gone and Diaz maybe going/having one good season under him. Strong signing imo. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, eire3382 said:

I know it’s had for rovers fans but is it time to feel a little optimistic? 2 permanent signings and both make sense. Plus we are being linked with other potential players which also make sense. Previously the window would have ended and we would have heard how we tried etc. but gb seems to be able to get things over the line. A left back and center half and who the hell knows where this ends. But we seem to be moving forward. 12 years of pain and maybe a little light…….

The thing is...  If you'd said 5 weeks ago that our only signings a week into the season were a kid from Liverpool's reserves and 2 lads from league one, would we have been happy?

Now throw in a potential reserve from Brighton and another league one player...

Does the old cliche 'sign league one footballers, get league one football' no longer apply?

Yet so far the signings and potential links, seem reasonably well thought out and decent on paper. 

Feel we are going to struggle for goals this year though.  None of Dolan, Hedges, Markanday, Vale, Gallagher look like hitting the net regularly. 

Still think we need a CB, LB, a wily old bugger to cover the cm places and a quality winger or striker.  Preferably one that is rapid. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Dack if fit WILL immediately be the best player in the championship he's absolutely fantastic. 

Let's not forget that.

His debut championship season he outdid both Mason Mount and Jack Grealish.

Let's stop with the "we don't need Dack".

Yep, he's a class player.

Let's hope he gets back fit and JDT gets him back to his best.

• Like 1

I think the fact Broughton specifically referenced SS's contribution in the last 10 games of the Championship season when playing in Dack's position, and also mentioned his athleticism, certainly added to the 'Dack is out of favour' rumours. 

I don't want to believe it as Dack is our best player when fit.

• Like 1

If Im not wrong....JDT would like to have four attackers to sub with his three attackers if things dont pan out and bring on fresh legs for the last 20 mins to stretch sides.... remember we can sub 5 players this season:

1st 70 mins attack:

Breo, Sammie, Gally

Dack

Last 20 mins attack:

Dolan, Vale, Markandy

Hedges

People were crying out for signings and now we're starting to make them, people still aren't happy 😂. This is football. The manager and director of football live by their results which is obviously influenced by the signings they make. Especially if they're backed. Mowbray would've stuck by dack irregardless. I think he can still have a part to play. But if he doesn't fit the style the manager wants to play then there's not much more can he done.

At the end of the day it's jdt's reputation and job on the line. Both Sammie and Brittain although from league one clubs. They are arguably good enough for this league. They shone in poor teams, so let's hope they do even better in a decent championship team. 

I think Saturday showed the difference in quality between the championship and the teams we played in friendlies. Vale had a great pre season and struggled. I'm not saying players like him, Wharton or any of the other young lads can't have a part to play. Especially with the five subs, if the manager chooses to use them. But I think people are getting far too carried away, to think they are good enough to carry this club.l through the season.

7 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Dack if fit WILL immediately be the best player in the championship he's absolutely fantastic. 

Let's not forget that.

His debut championship season he outdid both Mason Mount and Jack Grealish.

Let's stop with the "we don't need Dack".

That's a big IF

I guess how Sammie does in a Rovers shirt is the only important thing but the opinions on Peterbrough's messageboard suggest that they think he's not that big of a loss and question if he's good enough for the championship. Hopefully with better players around him he can prove those opinions wrong. Not only do we need him to be good enough for this league, we need him to push us on to have a good season. 

Have to say, not really convinced by this one at all. 

https://londonroad.net/Forum/showthread.php?tid=21067

Edited by Neal

With the signings yesterday it's clear that Tomasson has a way of playing and is bringing players in to suit that. The rotating of the front four and the intensity he wants them to play at will be reflected in his team selection. If he doesn't feel they can then they simply won't play in my opinion. Dack may well be collateral damage in this but that's football and things move and evolve quickly. 

There are no free rides any more and the holiday camp mentality has gone. Tomasson is serious will be ruthless in my view. It's what most of us have been crying out for some time.

• Like 3

I am not too sure where Bowler would actually fit into the set up of JDT. Priority has to be a central defender who can play across the back.

For some questioning Mortons signing, well he offers variety and cover if injuries and suspensions bite across the middle of the park

• Like 2

I’ve no idea why folk get over excited or upset with weeks of the window still to go. 400 odd pages of angst and excitement largely over links (or no links) to players most have to Wiki and YouTube - and then have a *very firm* opinion of.

It’s a stupid system that has the season running for 6/7 games before a club at this level can have its squad complete. 

Close the window on the 1st August and everything just gets moved earlier - transfers, PL loans etc. Obviously this won’t happen due to the other European leagues kicking off later, so this is the daft market we have to operate in.

But surely if it’s been a good/bad/indifferent window will come clear when it’s shut and we’ve seen who’s gone and we’ve had time to let the replacements bed in…

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, 1864roverite said:

I am not too sure where Bowler would actually fit into the set up of JDT. Priority has to be a central defender who can play across the back.

For some questioning Mortons signing, well he offers variety and cover if injuries and suspensions bite across the middle of the park

We're incredibly thin at the back. Defenders must come this time. 

• Like 3