BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

15 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

it`s about being savvy and using your grey matter,spend a few years learning your trade and then get your move to a really big club,phillips would be badly advised to go to spurs at the moment,he`ll get lost in their system

Parents and agents less likely to be savvy, the lure of instant riches hard to ignore, sadly.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, blondie said:

It would appear that the Academy supply will provide players capable of Championship football.

However when a calibre of player  above that, ie Philips emerges, it is seemingly impossible to tie down to a professional contract.

With the vast array of player scouting especially at the top level, nobody with extra talent slips under the radar.

How we solve the conundrum is open to debate, expecting loyalty is a thing of the past.

To be fair it was our problem when we were good too - we produced loads of Championship / L1 / L2 players, but very few PL players and they were eventually snapped up.

Money talks.

17 minutes ago, Tugay Et Labore said:

I’d be surprised if keeping a player with Phillips’ potential is a battle we can ever win.  After seeing him yesterday I think he needs a loan where he can play week in week out. Worst case for him going to Spurs is he gets put on a wage far more than what we can offer and then gets loaned out. Alternatively, he doesn’t get loaned out, learns from premier league level players and coaches, and still gets his great wage. 

Also, us offering him 10k a week is a complete gamble and a sure fire way to piss off an entire squad of players. Plus would stop us being able to strengthen elsewhere. 

£10k a week for a lad that you can play once a week (when we have to double up on fixtures) and can sell for tens of millions in two years?

No brainer. He looked so assured on Sunday.

• Like 6

30 minutes ago, Andy said:

If he's got anything about him (and any confidence in his fitness/injury status), he would jump at the chance of a 'pay as you play' initial contract.

I'd have him, if the terms were right for us, absolutely.

I reckon he'd be up for something like that next year when his contract expires.

He's played how many games in the last few seasons? The lad if he's smart should sit on his massive deal at united unless they want to pay him off. Then take a pay as you play deal next season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

The biggest worry is that the owners are removing the autonomy of the manager (or now the manager AND director of football) to make footballing decisions. It shouldn't be a case of the owners insist that x is paid or y isn't sold. 

If say the fee in mind is £20m, and someone offers £17m and Tomasson thinks, I'd rather take the money and spend £10m on someone else rather than lose him for free, he should certainly not be overruled.

It's head coach not a manager now we have.

It will be club decision on whether we sell or not like most club do. Very rare any manager or head coach on the final say on that sort of thing. Why shouldn't the club have a price they want otherwise we don't sell unless they close to our price?

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

It's head coach not a manager now we have.

It will be club decision on whether we sell or not like most club do. Very rare any manager or head coach on the final say on that sort of thing. Why shouldn't the club have a price they want otherwise we don't sell unless they close to our price?

Stop being pedantic.

The owners should not overrule Tomasson in situations as I suggested. If he is ok with Brereton being sold for say £15m and reinvesting £8-10m on a good replacement, but Venkys refuse to budge from £20m, it is Tomasson who will be directly affected in a year when he has a huge hole where his goalscorer was and no money to replace him. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Stop being pedantic.

The owners should not overrule Tomasson in situations as I suggested. If he is ok with Brereton being sold for say £15m and reinvesting £8-10m on a good replacement, but Venkys refuse to budge from £20m, it is Tomasson who will be directly affected in a year when he has a huge hole where his goalscorer was and no money to replace him. 

Venkeys know chicken; playing chicken with Premier League teams over transfers is a different matter.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Stop being pedantic.

Pedantic? Give over. It's called understanding how football clubs and most managers don't have the only say on it. Quite simple really

It's a club decision and just not JDT decision. He's the Head coach. He will part of decision group that discuss it. Thats how modern football work. 

37 minutes ago, blondie said:

Parents and agents less likely to be savvy, the lure of instant riches hard to ignore, sadly.

His parent are used to knocking back the larger clubs....know for a fact that Utd have enquired numerous times over the years....I'd imagine he will be advised to stay here until at least 20 years of age.  The money will come.

Not to get too excited given everything that's yet to be resolved, but Ash Phillips looked superb vs WBA. For a lad who turned 17 years old 7 weeks ago, he was as good as Ayala and far better than (the usually impressive)  Ajayi.

If he's genuinely already at that level, you can see why Spurs etc want him. Nailed on England International if he progresses.

He could and should be 3rd choice in this squad and would like to see him get plenty of game time to rest Ayala where possible.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, xtp said:

Personally, if I was Lewis Travis or Scott Wharton busting my gut every match, winning us football matches, I wouldn't see why some kid was worth more than me. Players should be rewarded at a club for what they do, not for what they potentially might do in the future. Otherwise, we're practically begging them to turn into Jack Rodwells.

Shearer came in with a track record that already proved why he was getting paid what he was. Any striker in the squad could look at him and go, "did I score 21 goals last season? no? better stop complaining then". Plus he banged in goals at a crazy pace after he got here. He stood out as the best player in the team by a country mile. Ash Phillips is unlikely to be able to do that. Even with our threadbare squad, he's our fifth choice centre back. 

If he's what we think he is, Travis, Wharton et al will recognise that he's a better player than they are - to use an Americanism, 'game recognises game'. 

Plus if he helps them win football matches they'll want him to get paid. As of this moment he's our third best CB - Carter hasn't proven he can play at this level (I think he can) and Barnes is injured for the season. 

7 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

His parent are used to knocking back the larger clubs....know for a fact that Utd have enquired numerous times over the years....I'd imagine he will be advised to stay here until at least 20 years of age.  The money will come.

I sincerely hope you are right.

39 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

£10k a week for a lad that you can play once a week (when we have to double up on fixtures) and can sell for tens of millions in two years?

No brainer. He looked so assured on Sunday.

Can potentially sell for millions. Potentially. All based on an hour against West Brom. 

6 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

Can potentially sell for millions. Potentially. All based on an hour against West Brom. 

Find me a 17 year old centre half that's played in the championship for a top of the league team? I'm assuming your not having him getting a big contract off us.

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

I'm ok with taking that gamble. £10k a week isn't going to break the wage structure or the bank. The eventual transfer fee (assuming he doesn't help us power to promotion) might. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

I'm ok with taking that gamble. £10k a week isn't going to break the wage structure or the bank. The eventual transfer fee (assuming he doesn't help us power to promotion) might. 

I suspect we couldn't buy a better centre-back than Philips and pay him less than £10000 a week.

• Like 7

Can’t see the Phil jones thing being remotely true because he’d never drop that low in wages but if he wants to come here within our current wage structure it’s a no brainer for me he’d obviously be committed he’s not doing it for the money.

No idea about Mowbrays January money etc but no chance he was going to be able to sign Jed Wallace, we couldn’t afford his wages and Millwall were never selling their best player when they were in the middle of a playoff battle.

• Like 1