BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

23 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

It was more than fair for Lenihan to be described as a decent Championship defender.

Perhaps, but also more than fair to describe him as 'bang average' I think.

Probably not that much between decent and bang average in the scheme of things (composure, passing ability, footbal nous etc... all play a part in deciding where players fit on that spectrum..)

1 hour ago, rover23 said:

Khadra was average, he was quick and tricky, but his crossing was poor, he was never fit enough to last a full 90 and he got what, 3-4 attacking returns? 

Hedges looks like he’s stepped up a few gears and seems a decent player. 

Dolan, as much as I like the kid, I don’t rate him that highly as a player. He’s giving off headless chicken vibes every time he plays. 

Dolan over cooks the chicken too often.

Cut out the constant needless step overs etc and look to get passes off quicker and one two's and he's a good player.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

The reason the Brereton situation has ended up in the way it has is because having committed big money to him, persevered with him for 3 years, done nothing on his contract and then he's suddenly come good quite rightly he's now in a different stratosphere on his expectations and demands. But had we had one eye on the medium to long term in the summer of 2021 we'd have extended his terms if we were so confident of his ability and the investment.

I don't want the transfer topic to turn into the contract renewal topic, but there's no way we could have offered Brereton big money before last season.

I was always a Brereton optimist, but we could never have seen this sort of upturn in form coming. I think even the biggest believers were hoping that he would simply be able to establish himself as a viable option to start up front. 

This messageboard would have gone into meltdown had Brereton signed a 20k+ longterm deal in the summer of 2021. 

I'll also add, even as someone who was a Brereton optimist, I'm still not a complete believer that this current for is truly sustainable. 

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Again - I'm not really interested in the ins and outs of those situations.

Your account might be absolutely correct - maybe Nyambe was 'kippered' by his agent (has he sacked him yet?), maybe the players did lead the club on a merry dance, maybe it is ultimately the players decision on whether to sign.

None of it actually matters. My view is that the situation is much more complex simply than poor old Rovers doing their very best but struggling against FFP/richer clubs/greedy agents. I think Rovers are at least partly to blame for those players leaving and much of that comes down to the way Rovers have gone about their business over the last 2-3 years.

I'm not going to go through what I mean by that again suffice to say that the fact so many players have all rejected Rovers' terms points to a serious problem on the part of the club. The fact that those players would prefer to go to Middlesbrough or Wigan is alarming.

I don't know what you are going on about with the £20k a week wage ceiling. I can assure you that had we offered any of those players - and indeed Brereton - close to £20k a week in the lead up to or during the summer of 2021 all of them would have signed up without a moment's hesitation.

The reason the Brereton situation has ended up in the way it has is because having committed big money to him, persevered with him for 3 years, done nothing on his contract and then he's suddenly come good quite rightly he's now in a different stratosphere on his expectations and demands. But had we had one eye on the medium to long term in the summer of 2021 we'd have extended his terms if we were so confident of his ability and the investment.

Anyhow I think we are drifting off topic. The point I was trying to make was that we have lost a lot of money already on players that we should have made a lot of profit from. If the Club was serious about protecting its investments and delivering a return on them then that wouldn't have happened. Likewise people online saying we need to sell Brereton to emulate Brentford need to wake up - we don't do what Brentford do - we don't keep our assets under long term contracts and we don't reinvest when we sell.

So to my mind it is clear - the chances of reinvestment are slim to zero. Broughton and Tomasson may well have a plan to replace him if sold but Venkys are still in charge here.

I'm sure Mowbray had a plan for reinvesting the  Armstrong cash but he wasn't allowed.

Finally - having failed to keep Lenihan, Nyambe and co. out of the clutches of rival clubs due to not offering acceptable terms to them what are the chances of us both finding and then paying a Brereton replacement? We could have £20 million to spend on transfer fees but if we have a wage ceiling akin to League One clubs we ain't getting better.

If we had given Brereton a new contract summer of 2021 questions would have been raised on here at the time, that's even if he would have wanted to stay as he was getting serious stick for 3 years prior. We signed him on a 5-yeal deal too so he was an asset that was under a long term contract, it just took him 4 years to get himself into a position where he is too good for where we are right now so he holds all the cards to his future.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I don't want the transfer topic to turn into the contract renewal topic, but there's no way we could have offered Brereton big money before last season.

I was always a Brereton optimist, but we could never have seen this sort of upturn in form coming. I think even the biggest believers were hoping that he would simply be able to establish himself as a viable option to start up front. 

This messageboard would have gone into meltdown had Brereton signed a 20k+ longterm deal in the summer of 2021. 

I'll also add, even as someone who was a Brereton optimist, I'm still not a complete believer that this current for is truly sustainable. 

That is correct. Go back just over a year and phrases like "waste of money" and "£7m spunked away" were all over this messageboard.

The notion that we have a wage structure akin to league 1 clubs is extremely misleading, maybe deliberately so. Rovers aren’t even close to the bottom of Championship wage bills. There is plenty to criticise the club for but that is total nonsense.

As for the Diaz contract situation, if the club had offered him a new 4 year 20k plus a week contract last summer this forum would have gone into meltdown. You know that and I know that @JHRover.

Edited by JeffRover

1 minute ago, Eddie said:

After a decent enough 20/21 where he scored a few and looked much improved compared to his first two years (which I think is often forgotten...) - and after playing for Chile and scoring at the Copa America? I don't think so. The signs were there that he'd turned a corner (though of course nobody thought he'd be on 20 goals by Christmas last season). I don't think it would have taken 20k+ a week then.

Even Gallagher's contract renewal in January this year was greeted in general by a shrug of the shoulders and was only news for a couple of days. And Brereton even last summer was more highly thought of than Gallagher.

As people always say though, it doesn't matter whether a messageboard would have gone into meltdown or not, the club needs to do what it feels is best and protect what it considers to be assets. Which is what people happy with Gallagher's renewal said.

• Like 8

If Diaz is to leave, Everton certainly seems like a good option for both him and us. Close to home for him, PL football and a decent wage offer no doubt.

Everton also tend to pay plenty for targets so we would be in line to receive a very decent fee.

As I said yesterday, the key thing is what we do if/when Diaz leaves. The clubs transfer budget doesn’t seem to shift regardless of player sales, the annual budget is set at the beginning of summer in India.

1 minute ago, JeffRover said:

If Diaz is to leave, Everton certainly seems like a good option for both him and us. Close to home for him, PL football and a decent wage offer no doubt.

Everton also tend to pay plenty for targets so we would be in line to receive a very decent fee.

As I said yesterday, the key thing is what we do if/when Diaz leaves. The clubs transfer budget doesn’t seem to shift regardless of player sales, the annual budget is set at the beginning of summer in India.

It could ruin him as a player. Everton are an odd club. He'll go from playing every week scoring goals and raising his profile, to being messed around as a squad player with various managers, scoring the odd goal when he's able to in a mediocre to poor team.

• Like 2

Just now, Realistic Rover said:

Phillips to Tottenham would really wind me up. 

They never give youngsters a chance. Look at that Tanganga, can’t get a sniff. He’s so much better signing a 3 year deal here then getting his big move.

Hopefully, this is his agent ensuring he is offered a much better deal by us....

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, JeffRover said:

The notion that we have a wage structure akin to league 1 clubs is extremely misleading, maybe deliberately so. Rovers aren’t even close to the bottom of Championship wage bills. There is plenty to criticise the club for but that is total nonsense.

As for the Diaz contract situation, if the club had offered him a new 4 year 20k plus a week contract last summer this forum would have gone into meltdown. You know that and I know that @JHRover.

Since when should the club makes its decisions based on what people on here might think?

Of course some people on here would have questioned giving him a big new contract at that stage, but at the end of the day the Club has an investment to protect, so if they had given him a new deal to do that then that's their decision and they have to do what they think is best for the club, not what might keep a few people on a messageboard happy. People who brought him to the club and persevered with him for 3 years obviously saw something in him and fair play to them it was well placed faith.

I'm unclear on your views on wages. Simple reality is that we've lost 2 assets to Middlesbrough and Wigan, and have signed 2 lads from Barnsley and Peterborough. We haven't been shopping in the overseas or Championship market for a while.

There are rumours we have made offers of substantial value to the bloke from Malmo and to Lenihan but those are meaningless rumours when they don't ultimately come to anything.

I don't know where we rank in the Championship on wages. In years past we were quite competitive but in terms of what we have been doing for the last 12 months or so I wouldn't expect it is that high up the division. Who will be on 'big' money? Dack, Gallagher, Ayala - anyone else? The rest of our very small squad are nearly all academy graduates or from the lower divisions - I don't understand how they can be that high on wages.

Everton have been sniffing round BBD for ages in the background I believe.

Think we can completely discount them -don't think they can't afford him due to their financial woes. 

See there's also another Club (Nice) trying it on by offering the derisory sum of £10m. Looking increasingly likely he won't be going anywhere until Clubs start getting realistic with their offers imo.