BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

37 minutes ago, Tom said:

He’s been pretty awful at times and decent at others, overall he’s a particularly average championship full back 

Douglas was worse, Bell at his worst was as bad as Pickering at his worst

Give over.  Bell was poor but he could get up and down the pitch.  Pickering brings absoloutely nothing.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

No point having all these centre halves coming in when Pickering is the left back. We are as strong as our weakest link.

I agree Cambridge. At CB we have Ayala, Wharton, Carter and Philips. No need for more CBs (maybe one). We need a back who can play both left and right. We also need another striker/winger. 

However I don't want many incomings that puts our own young players in the background. This is a fundament we have built these last years and even though the results are a bit jojo we have a squad with a lot of our own academy players to be proud of. 

Yesterday was really really bad, but they will learn from it and credit where its due. Ince produced a masterclass against us. 

• Like 1

Do get amused at rovers fans, one minute we are certs for promotion life is amazing, one bad game and we are getting relegated and life is woeful. I include myself in this btw, I have always assumed we are conditioned this way due to all that we have had to endure in the venkys era, always one bad move from a disaster it seems 

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Do get amused at rovers fans, one minute we are certs for promotion life is amazing, one bad game and we are getting relegated and life is woeful. I include myself in this btw, I have always assumed we are conditioned this way due to all that we have had to endure in the venkys era, always one bad move from a disaster it seems 

No no it way pre dates that although the Venky era has doubled the pessimism. 

7 hours ago, Butty said:

You’re happy with our left back options? Edun is okay at times but Pickering got targeted tonight and Hoilett and others ran all over him, he really struggled and it’s not the first time he’s had a game like that. He will continue to get targeted and have games like that throughout the season as much as some weeks he’s okay, we desperately need a new starting left back.

Yep Rovers were badly tactically outdone last night they had a clear plan to target certain weak links so it should be a loud clear red flag to JDT and GB.

I don't think they've had one yet since they arrived, a even harder day looms on Saturday imo.

7 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Not sure who thought we were Certs for promotion.  

We made a better than expected start.  Could just have been new manager bounce.

I think everybody recognises the squad is woefully short.  

The frustration is that with 3-4  quality first team signings and a couple of loans...we could potentially have a decent season.

The early transfer signs aren't encouraging though.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Yep Rovers were badly tactically outdone last night they had a clear plan to target certain weak links so it should be a loud clear red flag to JDT and GB.

I don't think they've had one yet since they arrived, a even harder day looms on Saturday imo.

I’d pinpointed this weekends game as our first defeat of the season after the first 3 wins. The fact we’re heading there after being hammered by a dire Reading team fills me with all sorts of dread and an expectation of a pummelling. They’ll stick Sharp on Phillips and he’ll have a torrid time. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom said:

He’s been pretty awful at times and decent at others, overall he’s a particularly average championship full back 

Douglas was worse, Bell at his worst was as bad as Pickering at his worst

He’s far from an average Championship left back, he’s playing at least a level above himself right now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RV Blue said:

He’s far from an average Championship left back, he’s playing at least a level above himself right now.

I remember watching that clip of him before he signed. All it showed was him attacking with the ball. Next to no defending at all. Two things you want from a full back- pace and the mindset that enjoys defending. If you haven’t got those assets go and play somewhere else in the team because full back isn’t for you. I don’t see them in Pickering. We had better left backs when we were in the old third division.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Theaxe15 said:

I’d pinpointed this weekends game as our first defeat of the season after the first 3 wins. The fact we’re heading there after being hammered by a dire Reading team fills me with all sorts of dread and an expectation of a pummelling. They’ll stick Sharp on Phillips and he’ll have a torrid time. 

He rolled his ankle last weekend and they've not yet given an indication of how long he'll be out for.  Missed last night and I think they'd be lucky to have him available for Saturday - don't want to be rushing a rolled ankle unless it's heavily strapped.  Last night was N'Diaye and Brewster up front with McAtee (Man City loanee) behind.

• Like 1

Think it was more a case of poor team selection last night, rather than anything else,too many legs taken out in one go. Midweek away games in the Championship are murder, a big learning curve for Tomasson. I'm sure it will stand him in good stead. 

No need to panic after 9 points from 12,another win in August and Tomasson will be manager of the month.

Less than 2 weeks to go in the transfer window,  it's the business end,I'm sure good business will be done. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, M_B said:

Think it was more a case of poor team selection last night, rather than anything else,too many legs taken out in one go. Midweek away games in the Championship are murder, a big learning curve for Tomasson. I'm sure it will stand him in good stead. 

No need to panic after 9 points from 12,another win in August and Tomasson will be manager of the month.

Less than 2 weeks to go in the transfer window,  it's the business end,I'm sure good business will be done. 

When you say 'poor team selection', you mean a complete lack of squad depth, right?

Gallagher was knackered on Sunday. Hedges was clearly very tired. It's just a shame our backups are Dolan, Vale and Markanday (who's injured AGAIN I believe?). 

Two games a week with this squad is brutal. 

• Like 1

Still personally don't think Pickering is that bad, the way things are is there is one player whose picked out and everyone piles on for a while and he's that guy at the moment. For a while last season Travis was getting a lot of stick... it moves around. Two of the goals yesterday from Reading actually all came down our right, and only one from the left.

Would I like a better left back? Yes. But he's not like Douglas who was a total liability.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

It’s like playing Russian Roulette with the Chicken Chokers in charge.

I don't think anyone has said we were certs to be promoted and neither has anyone did we will be relegated.

However last night was a big come-down and and puts great pressure on the team for the next game.

Fans react accordingly and always will.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

When you say 'poor team selection', you mean a complete lack of squad depth, right?

Gallagher was knackered on Sunday. Hedges was clearly very tired. It's just a shame our backups are Dolan, Vale and Markanday (who's injured AGAIN I believe?). 

Two games a week with this squad is brutal. 

No, that isn't what I meant. 

Don't tell me Reading have a deeper squad than we have.  I'm sure Tomasson will be considering that to leave both out at once was probably a mistake, he is allowed to make one or two. 

5 minutes ago, roverstdt said:

I actually rate Pickering i just feel he has been targeted and more often that not gets little defensive support from the wing at least that is what i saw yesterday at Reading. 

I think our right backs have had the benefit in the last few years of having Gallagher on the right who really sticks to his defensive duties, Diaz I feel doesn't drop back nearly as much as Gally which leaves Pickering more exposed I still think he's our best left back in a few years (Though that's an indictment on the rubbish we've had before) 

8 minutes ago, roverstdt said:

I actually rate Pickering i just feel he has been targeted and more often that not gets little defensive support from the wing at least that is what i saw yesterday at Reading. 

I used to think he was a decent, solid enough championship player. I went to the game last night and that opinion changed and quickly.

He doesn't possess any pace at all and unfortunately doesn't have the football brain/ability to counter that, a la Salgado. Reading clearly had a plan to exploit that yesterday and other teams will too - Khadra on Saturday.....

Signing a LB must be a priority for us now.

• Like 1