BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Window - COMPLETE. Where’s Gregg?

6 hours ago, SuperBrfc said:

Good post. Yes, absolutely. If the window ends like this. Spotlight.

On a similar note, I was waiting for an opportunity to share the following for the puzzle players among us, and I know you like this game, Shirley. A nameless dot to dot character was spotted:

a) At the Hartlepool v Rovers game in pre season.

b) Tweeting about Lucas Joao being one of the Championship's best strikers, minutes after he had scored against Rovers last Wednesday. Thus suggesting he was keeping an eye on the Rovers game.

c) At the Hartlepool v Bradford game on Saturday. Days before Rovers play Bradford in the cup. Hmm.

Might just be a football lover and watching a local side or whatever, I guess. The Rovers link is what got the radar going. Stay alert, the game might not be over yet.

Good all Craig. He lives close enough to Ewood to be a fan, but I somehow get the impression he sees Rovers as more of a business opportunity than a team he has a soft spot for. 

• Like 1

I think that those who expect a lot of transfers in might become very disappointed. IF the owners/Waggot went for Gregg Broughton because of his previous experience and great work at Bodo Glimt we will focus on developing our own academy players. This was how Gregg worked at Bodo Glimt. He nurtured and developed Bodo glimts own talent and made a football academy with a cat 1 status (top tier). Glimt then sold many of the talented players for big money and today they are continuing bringing up new players despite selling their best. They are one of the richest clubs in Norway and tonight they play champions league qualifier against Dinamo Zagreb which can bring them 20m in the bank account if they qualify. Its an adventure.

I think GBs job is to put a structure in play which lays the same foundation, a common playing style so that if you change manager you now who to pick because he has to fit a specific style. Later on in player recruitment you know much better where and who to look at. 

55 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

JPvH, SVDB, Styles & Bowler 🤞🏽

Then we replace BBD with another two forwards if he’s sold…🙌🏽

Bowlers deal is dead mate trust me , embarrassed ourselves there to club and player 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lraC said:

Imagine that. We appoint a new manager and head of recruitment, but still have the same old problem of decision makers not being available to ensure they succeed. Why on earth do we bother? 

Wonder if Waggott is now expected to step away from football matters and concentrate on the business side of things but is finding it difficult to do so and can't resist still sticking his oar in to the detriment of all concerned.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alexanders said:

Apparently not and according to a poster we are in for him again trying to outbid Brighton to get him in on a perm deal.

Yeah and we had two bids turned down before the news broke he was signing an extension at Brighton,  but apparently since the news broke we have gone in on last ditch effort to sign him permanently

11 minutes ago, neophox said:

I think a double deal for Lucas Joao and Van Hecke would give us some belief again 🙂

Even if we were interested in Joao, West Brom are.

West Brom don't have to wait for a carrier pigeon to arrive back from Pune with a signed cheque in its beak.

West Brom sign the player despite us doing 'all we can'.

I'm a positive person in general in all aspects of life, but struggling to keep watching this circus season after season.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, phili said:

I think the issue is not GB but the speed at which it takes to get approval from Venky's.

With the Brittain deal, GB and the Barnsley CEO provisionally agreed the deal and personal terms were agreed with Brittain in a day. It then took GB 2 weeks to get permission to complete the deal. The thank you in the press release was for honouring the provisional deal and not selling to anyone else in that time.

We are just not nimble enough and the decision making process is just extreme.

Shock horror we're still an absolute shit show at the top. It's almost as if there has been a common denominator in the last 12 years of this circus. 

• Like 3

*Dons tin hat.

JPVH. 

Thought he did well last year.  He's a blood and thunder type player.  Wears his heart on his sleeve, which always endears you to the player.  Thought his range of passing was decent also. 

However, we are likely talking a potential record fee (for us) if this 'special request' thing is to be believed. Is he worth it?

Out of all our recent loan centre backs, Tosin stood out to me as the best.  Didn't he go for a couple of million? 

I get the clamour to bring him back.  Player of the year, should increase in value etc. 

Any fee around £2-3 million and I'd agree.  Above that, I'm really not sure he's worth it. 

For me there is no USP.  Not lightning quick, not a Samba-like giant, not vastly experienced, probably lacks Tosin's ability to play through the lines.

Not proven above championship level. Is he better than Ayala?

Personally, I feel that  whilst we need to invest in defenders, they shouldn't be the major investment in a squad with many holes.

Always felt that you can get away with solid defenders (your Whartons) when  coached and drilled properly as a unit -at most levels. 

The 'special case' should be for an attacking player (be that midfield,wide or up top) that can potentially change/win you a game - and they are never cheap.

Morning preamble over😂

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Wonder if Waggott is now expected to step away from football matters and concentrate on the business side of things but is finding it difficult to do so and can't resist still sticking his oar in to the detriment of all concerned.

or...he's finding it difficult because he's shit at the  business side of things...

49 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Sounds like Venkys and Rothwell January 2022.

18 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

*Dons tin hat.

JPVH. 

Thought he did well last year.  He's a blood and thunder type player.  Wears his heart on his sleeve, which always endears you to the player.  Thought his range of passing was decent also. 

However, we are likely talking a potential record fee (for us) if this 'special request' thing is to be believed. Is he worth it?

Out of all our recent loan centre backs, Tosin stood out to me as the best.  Didn't he go for a couple of million? 

I get the clamour to bring him back.  Player of the year, should increase in value etc. 

Any fee around £2-3 million and I'd agree.  Above that, I'm really not sure he's worth it. 

For me there is no USP.  Not lightning quick, not a Samba-like giant, not vastly experienced, probably lacks Tosin's ability to play through the lines.

Not proven above championship level. Is he better than Ayala?

Personally, I feel that  whilst we need to invest in defenders, they shouldn't be the major investment in a squad with many holes.

Always felt that you can get away with solid defenders (your Whartons) when  coached and drilled properly as a unit -at most levels. 

The 'special case' should be for an attacking player (be that midfield,wide or up top) that can potentially change/win you a game - and they are never cheap.

Morning preamble over😂

Good managers build from the back. We have no back. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Kcaj93 said:

So basically we shouldn't sign anyone then this summer. We need new cbs. Just because two cb are going to be fit in two weeks time doesn't mean another two won't get injured at the same time later in the year. The young players you mentioned that you don't want a more experienced person sling the job atm, aint ready yet. 

No, perhaps I wasn’t clear enough, but I was isolating some of the problem areas and finding a potential reasoning for inaction around each of them, which aligned with how I might tackle each, on their own.

I’m not suggesting that we shouldn’t sign anyone, but I can see - for instance - why we aren’t just signing absolutely anybody at CB. If I was gonna hire someone because an area was weak, I’d want to make sure they can do the job and better than what I had, not just fill a gap for a couple of weeks. Similarly, I wouldn’t want to have a surplus, because it’s not a wise expenditure unless you can find the work for them. In a normal business, that’s growth, but I suppose in football, it’s rotation, which comes with its own issues.

I can’t say either way on the younger players coming through at CM, I haven’t seen enough of them. Broughton and Tomasson will likely have a better perspective than either of us, so if they feel they’re not far away, they may be reluctant to spend there when elsewhere needs the funds.

The point of the post was to shine a bit of light on the nuances around each, as we fans tend to look at the results, when the plan should anticipate wobbles. Not saying categorically that I’m right, but that’s where my thinking has been the past couple of days.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Why, what's he done wrong, has kept his head down, has performed fairly well, hasn't sulked, and hasn't publicly demanded a move.

What more do you want from him - other than obviously sign a contract which it is his prerogative not to.

it was based upon the media reports being accurate which we think are exaggerated (as they always are!). Granted he has done well and hasn't sulked and that's good to know however, footballers are more fickle than supporters in thinking they are better than they actually are!!

15 minutes ago, Bethnal said:

No, perhaps I wasn’t clear enough, but I was isolating some of the problem areas and finding a potential reasoning for inaction around each of them, which aligned with how I might tackle each, on their own.

I’m not suggesting that we shouldn’t sign anyone, but I can see - for instance - why we aren’t just signing absolutely anybody at CB. If I was gonna hire someone because an area was weak, I’d want to make sure they can do the job and better than what I had, not just fill a gap for a couple of weeks. Similarly, I wouldn’t want to have a surplus, because it’s not a wise expenditure unless you can find the work for them. In a normal business, that’s growth, but I suppose in football, it’s rotation, which comes with its own issues.

I can’t say either way on the younger players coming through at CM, I haven’t seen enough of them. Broughton and Tomasson will likely have a better perspective than either of us, so if they feel they’re not far away, they may be reluctant to spend there when elsewhere needs the funds.

The point of the post was to shine a bit of light on the nuances around each, as we fans tend to look at the results, when the plan should anticipate wobbles. Not saying categorically that I’m right, but that’s where my thinking has been the past couple of days.

Yeah that makes more sense eith the updated post. I agree we do need the right people but I'm struggling to see us achieve that as the days go by. Hope I like many others are proved wrong.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

or...he's finding it difficult because he's shit at the  business side of things...

Seen this a lot in business. People getting involved in areas outside their remit because they think they’re bored in their role, when actually they just can’t do it and need to cover that up.

Waggott strikes me as a good communicator with individuals, but not an enormous amount of anything else. To quote one of my favourite TV characters; “a .22 calibre mind in a .357 magnum world.”

• Like 2